Thread: Billy Chow farewell fight

Billy Chow farewell fight

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iETzsetKwhc

Keep in mind Chow is 49 years old here. 49 YEARS OLD!!! He should have gotten hs ass kicked in this fight because he is going up against a guy who is much quicker and younger, but because of his experience and heart he makes it a fight worth watching. Sorry about showing an edited version, but the only other version i could find has really bad pic quality.

In case people don't know, Billy Chow fought Jet Li at the end of Fist of Legend, Sammo Hung at the end of Pedicab Driver, Jackie chan at the end of Miracles, and was in a ton of other movies, mainly as a villain. He starred in around 70 movies between the years 1986 and 2004. If he is done fighting in the ring, I hope to see him make a comeback on screen since he hasn't been in a movie in 3 years. I would love to see him in a Johnny To movie as a gangster or something.
    Last edited by jethro; 12-09-2007 at 12:36 AM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

I wasn't able to check this out today, but I don't doubt at all that Billy Chow could handle himself more than adequately at 49. He never took as many head shots as fighters such as, say, boxers Arturo Gatti or Ali, which significantly ages you before your time. As you age, it's your instincts and experience that takes over, which can offset a younger person's speed and conditioning in many cases.

When i was in my early 30s, in training to fight in a major tourney, my sifu in the U.S. one night decided to put on the gloves and join in the sparring. He cleaned house; whipping me first, then 3 or 4 other more advanced classmates/fighters. At the time, he was about 52 or 53, and hadn't sparred in a long time due to back problems. His controlled punches and kicks felt like rocks and were very hard to avoid. Experience is like having money in the bank.

That is a good story. Chow is not as fast as he was back in the 80's (who would be after 20+ years later?), but his experience shows greatly. And one thign about Chow is that he can take a hit. i don't know how many hits it takes to bring him down, but it seems like it would take hundreds. He is the type of fighter where after he gets hit hard a few times, he gets stronger. He likes to wait for the fight to get into the later rounds before he does his biggest damage.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."