Thread: Wu Forever!

Hybrid View

The Wu-Tang District

Check out the new “Wu-Tang District” in the Park Hill section of Clifton
    By Alexandra Salmieri | For the Staten Island Advance | Posted May 04, 2019 at 07:03 PM

Alexandra Salmieri | For the Staten Island Advance

STATEN ISLAND N.Y. --The streets of Park Hill are officially “The Wu-Tang District."

The rain didn’t stop Staten Island residents from honoring the world-famous rap group who hails from the Park Hill section of Clifton.

Hundreds of supporters filled the streets as Councilwoman Debbie Rose (D-North Shore)highlighted their struggles, achievements and fame.

Rep. Max Rose (D-Staten Island/Brooklyn) and Assemblyman Charles Fall (D-North Shore) also made appearances at the ceremony prior to the unveiling.

“This is a great day where we have an opportunity to honor our own hometown heros, the young men who put Staten Island on the map internationally. They overcame all types of challenges, to not only become rap artist and hip-hop artist but to inspire and challenge the music world,” said council woman Debbie Rose.

Following the unveiling, Wu-Tang members celebrated with close family and friends at The Richmond in Stapleton.

Congressman Max Rose showed his support at the Wu-Tang Clan's day-long celebration in the Park Hill section of Clifton on May 4, 2019. (Staten Island Advance/ Alexandra Salmieri)

The corner of Vanderbilt Avenue and Targee Street has been renamed the Wu-Tang Clan District in recognition of their contribution to Staten Island. May 4, 2019. (Staten Island Advance/Alexandra Salmieri)

Wu-Tang Clan members gathered on stage to share their thanks with the Staten Island community. “The real value is in the love, to help you see all things clearly,” said Cappadonna.

Staten Island artist Gano Grills stands in front of the mural he painted to honor the Wu-Tang Clan in the Park Hill section of Clifton on May 4, 2019. (Staten Island Advance/Alexandra Salmieri)

The corner of Vanderbilt Avenue and Targee Street has been renamed the Wu-Tang Clan District in recognition of their contribution to Staten Island. May 4, 2019. (Staten Island Advance/ Alexandra Salmieri)

Assemblyman Charles Fall with Staten Island native Daniella Kelly White at the Wu-Tang Clan's day-long celebration in the Park Hill section of Clifton on May 4, 2019. (Staten Island Advance/Alexandra Salmieri)

Scenes from the VIP after party at The Richmond in Stapleton on May 4, 2019. (Staten Island Advance/ Alexandra Salmieri)
    There are a lot more pix. I only linked the first few...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Miley & Wu

Wu-Tang Clan brings “Enter The Wu Tang: 36 Chambers” to Shoreline on June 22. I'm so there.

Miley Cyrus Sings "Drugs Rule Everything Around Me" on Her Wu-Tang-Inspired Song "D.R.E.AM."
    👀👀👀
    BY ERICA GONZALES
    MAY 31 2019, 1:54 AM EDT

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/miley-cyrus-performs-at-the-radio-1-big-weekend-at-stewart-news-photo-1151662951-1559244598.jpg?crop=0.747xw:1.00xh;0.107xw,0&resiz e=980:*[/IMG]
    JO HALE GETTY IMAGES

Miley Cyrus is back on her music grind with a six-track EP, She Is Coming, her follow-up to her 2017 album Younger Now. The project just released at midnight, but one song is already getting a lot of attention: "D.R.E.A.M." (Drugs Rule Everything Around Me) featuring Ghostface Killah.

The track is an obvious reference to Wu-Tang Clan's legendary 1993 hip-hop hit, "C.R.E.AM. (Cash Rules Everything Around Me)," if the title and feature artist didn't already give that away. Miley even samples "C.R.E.A.M." on the song. (Wu-Tang originally sampled 1967's "As Long as I've Got You" by The Charmels for their version of the track.)
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

It's possible Miley got the group's blessing if she was able to get the sample cleared and managed to get Wu-Tang member Ghostface Killah to drop a verse in the outro. But considering the amount of backlash Cyrus has received on social media for her take on hip-hop during her Bangerz era, it's unclear how this collaboration will ride with rap fans.

Possible critics aside, Miley's take on the Wu-Tang classic is an airy, chilled-out pop tune honoring the singer's party lifestyle. "Wake up with new tattoos on my body / Drugs rule everything around me," she sings in part of the chorus.

Read all of the lyrics to "D.R.E.A.M." below.

You're in my bed uninvited
    It's fine 'cause I'm in a mood
    Hope you don't mind if I spike it
    We'll drink it, just me and you

And you know we're gonna be alright
    We'll be sleeping on a red-eye flight
    Keep up with me 'til the end of the night
    And we're just gettin' started

Always last to leave the party
    Drugs rule everything around me
    Wake up with new tattoos on my body
    Hit the ghost, raise a toast, pop the molly
    I can go toe to toe, like I'm Olly
    We're all tryna feel the lonely

These planes are all UFOs
    And this city's in outer space
    It's better than where we came from
    I think that we both should stay

'Cause you know we're gonna be alright
    We'll be ****ing on a red-eye flight
    Keep up with me 'til the end of the night
    And we're just gettin' started

Always last to leave the party
    Wake up with new tattoos on my body
    Hit the ghost, raise a toast, pop the molly
    All the girls in my room look like Dolly
    We're all tryna feel the lonely

(Drugs rule everything around me)

[Outro: Ghostface Killah]
    The drugs rule everything around me
    You could call me a king
    I got it all in my store, you should crown me
    Purple Perc, sticky green Mollies, sipping lean
    Got the white that's sure to light the floor like in "Billie Jean"
    Scarface nights (Nights)
    500 thousand on the pinkie, Broadway ice (Ice)
    We throw bangers at weddings and y'all throw rice (Rice)
    Lollapalooza, Coachella custies, that's my type
    Party all night

THREADS
    The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - RZA live score
    Wu Forever!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tomorrow!

Who's gonna be inna house? I'll be volunteering with Rock Med. Stop by and say 'hi'!

22 JUN
    Wu-Tang Clan Tickets
    Shoreline Amphitheatre | Mountain View, California

Wu-Tang Clan comes to Shoreline Amphitheatre on Saturday 22nd June 2019 to Bring Da Ruckus!!! Wu-Tang celebrates the 25th anniversary of their iconic debut album Enter The Wu Tang: 36 Chambers this year, and they're bringing the party to Mountain View! One hell of a party it's gonna be too, with special guests Eric B & Rakim, De La Soul, The Pharcyde & More! Don't miss this incredible once-in-a-lifetime show!

Bursting onto the hip hop scene in 1993 with the single "Protect Ya Neck", Staten Island-based hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan has been hailed by many as the greatest rap group of all time. Originally formed of East Coast rappers RZA, GZA, Ol' Dirty *******, Method Man, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, U-God and Masta Killa, the group has released four gold and platinum studio albums since its formation in 1991, and its debut album Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (1993), is considered one of the greatest albums in hip-hop history. An extensive number of rappers and groups are affiliated with Wu-Tang Clan, who launched many of their careers, and they are known collectively as the Wu-Tang Killa Bees. Their eighth and most recent studio album, The Saga Continues, was released in October 2017.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips