Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wu Forever!

Hybrid View

Wu Forever!

http://www.kube93.com/cc-common/podc...ndSessions.xml
    New Rza Interview, promotes album, discusses legacy war in iraq and ****...
    Album is in stores now, very good I must say, comes with the Kung Fu samples and all...could be the end of the WU!!!...

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=100

nah notthe end. just a new begining that album was hot eight diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    nah notthe end. just a new begining that album was hot eight diagrams
    no doubt...thought it was a good headline, hehe

I'm not into this album yet... its decent, got a couple tracks I liked right away, but I need to give the album some time to grow on me before I pass judgement...

Still nothing compares to 36 chambers raw style and all the sweet kung fu clips...

Wu Forever!

Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang

RZA is on Rock The Bells this year. I'm hoping to see him next month.
    The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes From the Underground

Raekwon the Chef is out promoting Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II, but there are a couple of other LPs he's looking toward in the future. There's a Rae, Method Man and Ghostface Killah album being talked about, as well as that full Wu-Tang Clan LP called Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang. If you remember, Rae first spoke of that album to Miss Info a few years ago during the promotion of the ill fated 8 Diagrams LP. Rae hinted that Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang would be some type of payback toward the RZA.

Rae explained that there is currently no unrest within the Wu, so Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang will instead pay homage to the Clan's beginning.

"Before I was a member of Wu, I was an MC on the street that just loved hip-hop," the Chef said. "When you think of Shaolin [Staten Island], you think of the home of the brave. Before anything and everything, this is where you was from. You inherited your style as a kid coming up. Shaolin is still considered the streets to us. So it's like me challenging my old way of life. This album was designed to let the master know your students are now masters too. We wanted to take it back to challenging the master on a couple of techniques we feel we got from the street side of things.

"We always said Wu-Tang members are a group but still able to hold their own," he added. "When you're able to hold your own, you're still considered that dude from Shaolin that's nice. It's just an alter-ego thing challenging the sharpest sword we ever had with our old tactics that allowed us to get that far as a Clan. [It'll] be alter egos challenging each other, really allowing RZA to fall back on the production and allowing us to give him a flashback memory to the things we know we need from the abbot [RZA]. We want him to be involved [with the album as an MC], but the concept was for him not to be involved production-wise."

Rae compared Wu to a martial-arts film.

"It's like when you look at your illest karate flick," he said. "Sometimes the abbot be whooping on you so much, he's teaching you to get iller. Next thing you know, you whoop on the abbot. Now he already know: 'I gotta give you the crown now.' It's all love, and it's movies. Our life is a karate flick. If you look at a karate flick, it's the same kinda format in our life."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More buzz from Method

There's a very short clip if you follow the link.
    Jul 23 2009 1:21 PM EDT
    Method Man Wants To Hook Up With Ghostface, Raekwon For Joint LP
    'I want some feedback from the fans to see how they would take that,' Meth says of partial Wu-Tang Clan album.
    By Jayson Rodriguez

Raekwon is readying his solo album, and Ghostface Killah will be wrapping up his next project soon, so does this mean that Shaolin's finest will be reuniting in the foreseeable future for an official Wu-Tang Clan LP?

Not exactly.

But if it's up to Method Man, some of the sharpest dart throwers in the Clan will get together for a group project. Reiterating Raekwon's remarks to Mixtape Daily on Tuesday, Meth said he, the Chef and Ghostface might join forces for a collaborative effort.

"It's in discussion right now," Method Man told MTV News. "I don't want to say it's written in stone, but it's in discussion. I want some feedback from the fans to see how they would take that. RZA produced tracks, some other outside producers, of course, and we gonna have Wu-Tang members on the album, but it'll be a Rae, Ghost and Meth album."

Method Man said getting a new deal for the entire collective would take more time compared to locking something down for arguably the three most charismatic members of the crew. At this point in Method Man's career, he's focused on making music more in a collective manner than on his own, even if it's not a full family project.

"This is the most comfortable I've been in my whole career," Meth said. "Because I don't have all those obligations that I've had before. You know, doing the Wu-Tang, then the Wu-Tang solo projects, then my project, then me and Redman. Right now, I can do it at my own leisure. Honestly, I don't want to make an album by myself, but it's something that's required, and the fans want that, so I'm gonna do that.

"But the same way with my shows, I like doing shows with brothers instead of just doing them by myself," Method Man continued. "I like to have a crowd around. And have that input to make the project better."
    And more from Rock the Bells:
    Jul 20 2009 10:52 AM EDT
    Wu-Tang Clan/ Slaughterhouse Beef Quashed At Rock The Bells
    Nas, Damian Marley headline a peaceful day at Jones Beach.
    By Shaheem Reid

WANTAGH, New York — It was musical, it was nostalgic, but most important, it was not violent. Guerilla Union held their annual Rock the Bells show Sunday at Nikon at Jones Beach Theater as part of the yearly tour. Going into the show, there had been heavy tension involving two of the acts, the Wu-Tang Clan and Slaughterhouse.

Slaughterhouse's Joe Budden had been involved in a back-and-forth with Method Man and Inspectah Deck for weeks. Although Deck and Meth were not officially on the Rock the Bells bill, it was no surprise when both appeared at Jones Beach to support RZA and Raekwon, who were slated to perform.

The Clan brought the ruckus, not the ignorance. They rocked the theater with a catalog of hits and didn't waste time dissing Slaughterhouse. At the end of the performance, Meth told the crowd no one in the rap game could touch him or his brothers.

"Can't nobody touch the legacy," Meth boasted. "Our track record speaks louder than any of them mutha----as."

Between the end of Wu's set and the beginning of Slaughterhouse's, Method Man and Joe Budden were seen walking together in the parking lot. The two took their time quashing the beef.

When Slaughterhouse, which also includes Royce da 5'9", Joell Ortiz and Crooked I, took the stage, they publicly announced the end of the short-term feud.

"It will never be a beef with Wu-Tang clan," Royce said. He then revealed the convo between Meth and Budden, saying the situation was "squashed."

But Rock the Bells wasn't just about them. Other performers included Big Boi, Common, Black Star, the Roots, Buckshot and headliners Nas and Damien "Jr. Gong" Marley.

Nas started his set with classics like "N.Y. State of Mind," then shared the stage with Jr. Gong. Nas kicked familiar verses (his rhymes off "The Message" and reggae-inspired hip-hop tracks like Shyne's "Bad Boyz"), and Jr. Gong came back doing his reggae chats over some of Nas' beats, including "Represent."

The rapper also brought out AZ for "Phone Tap" and "Life's a *****." Then he let D-Block have their own mini-set, highlighted by "Good Times," "Wild Out," "Who's Real" and Jadakiss' duet with Nas, "What If."
    Is the Wu coming back together like Voltron? Hell, I'm changing the title of this thread from "The end of The Wu Tang Clan!!!!" to "Wu Forever!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lesson Learn'd

Wu-Tang Clan Mention Martin Shkreli on New Song ‘Lesson Learn’d’
    September 22, 2017 1:19 PM

Photo: Courtesy Wu-Tang Clan

By Scott T. Sterling

Wu-Tang Clan have released a new new song, “Lesson Learn’d,” from the group’s upcoming album, Wu-Tang: The Saga Continues.

Related: Martin Shkreli Puts Rare Wu-Tang Clan CD on eBay

On the new track, which features Redman, Inspectah Deck mentions “pharma-bro” Martin Shkreli, who famously purchased the only copy of Wu-Tang’s Once Upon a Time in Shaolin for $2 million: “My price hikin’ like the pills Martin Shkreli sell.”

Wu-Tang: The Saga Continues is now available for pre-order, which provides buyers with an instant download of “Lesson Learn’d.”

Check out new track, which contains explicit language, below.
    Wu-Tang - Lesson Learn'd” featuring Inspectah Deck and Redman
    The Wu-Tang saga of [URL="http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67437-Once-Upon-A-Time-In-Shaolin"]Once Upon A Time In Shaolin] plays on...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wu-Tang: My Only One - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wudang "male" ranking

武当“型男”排名
    收藏
     作者:大昊  发布时间:2016-06-12  阅读数:1870  评论数:0
    在Wu-tang clan发行专辑Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) 二十周年前夕,一场大动作正在酝酿。Wu-Tang品牌刚推出了一批纪念36 Chambers 20周年服饰,而且据说还有更多武当装备要到货,包括与DC的合作。(武当粉已经没法坐定了把!)回首过往 ,Wu-tang大家族及其分支在二十年的岁月里改变了整个音乐流派,也改变了Hip Hop的穿着风格。他们的范儿就像他们的音乐一样硬核,也正如同他们的音乐,每个团队中的成员都在这上面有 自己独特鲜明的天赋。

团体内的竞争促使每个成员在歌中增加猛料,也让他们费心打理着装扮——Polo衫, Wallabees(袋鼠鞋)—— 看看整个东海岸,我们就知道它们引领了街头服饰(streetwear)的潮流。在此我们要鞠躬感谢武当。 话虽这么说,一些成员必须比其他人更加有型!仅仅局限于此列表九个原始创始成员,我们根据他们的穿衣风格给 他们排了下座。

9. Masta Killa

严肃的说,哥们。有没有人见过MASTA KILLA的头发?这位老兄一直带着Doo Rag。他的品味可能在Wu-tang中是最后的。但如果他开始摇摆丝绿色佩斯利长袍,他排位可能会向上攀升点。

8. Inspectah Deck

如果这是一个家乡自豪感的榜单,INS或许会排到第一。即使像你的城市致敬确实值得我们的掌声,但他的范儿 确实有上升的空间,但我们希望他不要弄丢他那条武当链子。

7. U-God

胡子帮出没。如果你需要灵感的话看看U-God。他一直保持着他的小胡子。另外,U-God穿起Wu Wear像一位专家。他也许永远上不了T台,但当“that banging ****”的广告出现在Wu-Tang’s Shaolin的店面时总会使孩子们想到Wu Wear又要出新款了。

6. GZA

在Wu-tang成立之前,GZA已说唱圈活跃了。他也是武当派成员中穿衣风格最轻松的。他穿衣从来不离帽衫,运动 夹克。他的范儿可以完美搭配一个舒适的沙发。他去哈佛大学开讲座与喜欢下棋可以给他加分——因为聪明永远是 时尚。
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

I'm only copying one pic of each Wu member. There are more in the original article. It's #5 that interested me most.

5. RZA

他的所有衣服都有亚洲文明的灵感。他最牛逼的地方是,他不关心你在想什么,或者你喜欢什么。他喜欢武术,就 会穿上武术袍。此外,他的脸也作为LOGO,印在过Supreme T恤上。

4. Method Man

Method Man曾在“Method Man”中唱道,“你不认识我,你不知道我的风格。”他可能是正确的,其风格非常有冒险精神。但他喜欢加大 尺码的态度却总是让人舒服。不是每个说唱歌手,在他们穿衣的保留节目中有浴袍、狼牙套和击球手 套。

3. Ol’ Dirty *******

老实说,甚至无所谓ODB穿什么。只要看看他史诗般的头发,没有人需要去注意到别的。不过,他没有只依靠一 个在派对上招摇的伎俩。他是最先开始玩儿穿衣high-low搭配的老哥(那时候Pharrell Kanye A$AP Rocky都在那儿呢)。某天,他穿起街牌,第二天他可能穿的却是一个干净的皮夹克和上档次的帽子。

2. Raekwon

他一开始从纽约城的大毒枭哪里获得穿衣灵感,最后也可以穿一件简简单单的纯白Supreme。没有他怎么能 接近顶端,别说不是他引起了你对老式的Polo衫和Tommy Hilfiger的兴趣。大厨(Raekwon的别称Chef)甚至挽起一条裤腿走上过Tommy的T台, 就是那么有范儿。

1. Ghostface Killah

正如他在“New God Flow”里的歌词——” Ya nigga, y’all had my, I had my Jesus piece since 94”。在这点上,他的豪华首饰,长袍,和鬼脸面具都是一他的最具代表性的符号。就像武当派本身,如果鬼脸 要去做些风格的改变,他会毫不犹豫的倾尽全力去执行它。

 武当(2)型男(1)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RZA + Alamo Drafthouse introduce The Flying Guillotine | 360° Tour

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men

I cut out all the other films listed, only kept the relevant one.

Sundance: Rosamund Pike, Wu-Tang Clan, Jordan Peele-Produced Lorena Bobbitt Series Added to Fest
    1:00 PM PST 12/3/2018 by Tatiana Siegel

Andrew Chin/Getty Images
    RZA, GZA, Method Man, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, U-God, Masta Killa and Cappadonna of hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan perform on stage during day 2 of Center Of Gravity 2018 at Kelowna City Park on July 28, 2018 in Kelowna, Canada.

Given the impressive list of names in the episodic lineup, it is clear that Sundance has become a destination for small-screen fare that screens against the festival's bread-and-butter indie films.

The Sundance Film Festival unveiled its lineup of the indie episodic, shorts and special events on Monday. Among the standouts are a documentary series from producer Jordan Peele about the infamous case of John and Lorena Bobbitt dubbed Lorena and a comedic series with Rosamund Pike and Chris O'Dowd in the leads titled State of the Union (Nick Hornby created, and Stephen Frears directed). Also of note is the series Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men, which traces the arc of iconic rappers and features the participation of every member.

Given the impressive list of names in the episodic lineup, it is clear that Sundance has become a destination for small-screen fare that screens against the festival's bread-and-butter indie films.

With the shorts lineup mostly comprised of up-and-comers, it’s difficult to predict what might be this year’s Whiplash (Damien Chazelle’s feature film started its life as a short at Sundance). Films that look promising on paper include A.V. Rockwell’s Feathers, which tackles the world of boys school hazing and will debut on Day One of the festival.

“This year’s crop of shorts are rowdy, reflective, visionary -- we are excited to discover so many new voices and perspectives on today’s world,” said Sundance senior programmer Mike Plante.

Of the projects announced today, 53 percent were directed or created by one or more women, 51 percent were directed or created by one or more filmmaker of color, and 26 percent by one or more people who identify as LGBTQIA. A dozen were supported by Sundance Institute in development, whether through direct granting or residency Labs.

Today’s announcement follows last week’s unveiling of the 112 films that will screen across 10 major categories including the U.S. competition, world competition and NEXT sections including the Harvey Weinstein doc Untouchable, the Shia LaBeouf-Lucas Hedges pairing Honey Boy (about a child TV star and his ex-rodeo clown father) and Rashid Johnson’s modern reimagining of Richard Wright’s seminal novel Native Son.

The 2019 edition of the fest is set to run Jan. 24-Feb. 3 in and around Park City.

Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men/U.S.A. (Director: Sacha Jenkins, Executive Producers: Peter J Scalettar, Peter Bittenbender, Chris Gary) — The cultural history of Wu-Tang Clan; artists who escape the poverty, violence, and oppression of their neighborhoods through music. They encounter wild success and heartbreak along the way to becoming the most recognized musical movement in the world -- all while walking the tightrope that links business with brotherhood. Cast: All members of the Wu-Tang Clan. World Premiere
    THREADS
    Wu Forever!
    Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

III Points 2020

Photo by Kyle Christy

Wu-Tang Clan's RZA: III Points 2020 Will Mark "a New Display of Our Creativity and Talent"
    KAT BEIN | JANUARY 30, 2020 | 8:40AM

RZA's last great Miami memory includes a potent mixture of weed, '70s kung fu flicks, and tequila shots till sunrise. It was April 2018, and the Wu-Tang Clan figurehead had come to town to headline III Points' annual 4/20-themed event, III Joints. For his performance, RZA crafted a live hip-hop soundtrack to The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, a Hong Kong cinema classic and seminal text in the Wu canon. It was half rap concert, half film screening, and all serious smoke-out.

“Everybody was really smoking and sippin',” RZA remembers. “There was moments where the audience was just engaged by what was on the screen, but there was moments where the audience gave in to the hip-hop performance that was happening, jumping up and down, throw your hands up in the air [stuff]. That was a very unique experience: outdoors, Miami, and the weather was beautiful.”

When III Joints wrapped, RZA and crew took the party to the downtown Miami nightclub Floyd. Shortly after joining Call Super — the DJ visiting that night — behind the booth, the rapper, producer, and all-around creative force let the Miami spirit take over, found a mike, and began MC'ing over the house mix bumping through the venue. Soon enough, dancers were being invited up for free tequila shots from Bobby Digital himself.

“I definitely was pouring a lot of shots into a lot of glasses,” he recalls. “One thing about me: When I party and I get loose, I just go with the flow.”

Things will undoubtedly flow once again come May, when the full Wu-Tang Clan will join RZA for a headlining set at III Points' full-fledged music festival. The Clan is preparing to mark the start of the 2020s as a new era for the group and will arrive in Miami armed with a whole new set list and stage production.

It's a welcome return: Since 2015, a member of Wu-Tang has played at least one III Points event per year. Ghostface Killah was the first to come through in 2015, followed by a hyped-up performance from Method Man and Wu affiliate Redman in 2016. III Points brought the full Clan through for a standalone concert during Art Basel 2017 and then called upon RZA for the 2018 edition of III Joints. Last year's festival saw a return from Ghostface, joined by Raekwon for a full performance of the 1995 classic Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

“I mean, we love Miami, right?” RZA says. “It's always iconic to go there; we get that good Cuban food. Usually I don't eat until after the show, but I eat twice before the show [in Miami]. When invitations come from that city, we're trying to RSVP. If you guys want us to come, we want to come, and that's what we do.”

Wu-Tang Clan's last performance in Miami was heavy on songs from the group's seminal 1993 debut LP, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers).

“It was sold-out to capacity,” RZA recalls, “and the energy was high. On that particular night, we actually brought in our stage set from New York, where we turned the stage to look like our neighborhood. What a night – I mean, what a weekend.”

This year, the group brought on a new creative developer, who, along with the long-term team, is designing a new stage production intended to bring the Wu-niverse into a new dimension. The set list is also getting a major face-lift, a treat for any Killer Bees looking for more solo Wu members and full Clan deep cuts during live shows.

“There's a lot of great songs in the catalog that don't get a lot of concert play for whatever reason,” RZA says. “The first call we had this week was changing our set list in a more cinematic, dynamic way."

It makes sense that RZA and the Clan would want to update their presentation for a new decade: vivid imagery and a flair for the theatrical have always been cornerstones of the Wu-Tang aesthetic. Across the group's discography, songs and albums are filled with movie samples and sound effects that help graft indelible imagery onto listeners' minds.

“Wu-Tang came out even before DVDs,” RZA laughs. “That may not sound like reality, but it is. There was no TV in your headrest; that didn't happen 'till late '96, '97.

"When we made 36 Chambers, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx..., and Liquid Swords, Ironman, the goal was that the audience would have an audiovisual experience; I was trying to make movies with those albums," he continues. "I'm from the generation of New Yorkers that, for good and bad reasons, used to travel out of state. Whether it was traveling down to Howard University to go to homecoming, on to Atlanta Freaknik, or going down to South Beach... I made [Wu-Tang Clan's music] with the idea of helping that road trip be cool for you.”

While the exact dimension and flavor of Wu-Tang's 2020 III Points headline set can't yet be defined, RZA is **** sure it's gonna be a movie of its own.

“We're striving — and I say 'striving' because you've got to strive, and if you get it, get it,” he says, "but we are striving to make this a new display of our creativity and our talent through our concerts. You guys will be among some of the first to see it this year.”

Indeed, the Wu hasn't held a single stateside performance since its popular Hulu series Wu-Tang: An American Saga first aired late last year. Animated by all of the renewed hype, RZA and the Clan are ready to ride a wave of innovation into the next chapter of their ongoing story.

“We have a lot of new fans getting engaged by us,” he says. “We're just looking forward to getting in front of them with the crew. This is foundation, and [we want] people to understand why Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to eff with.”

III Points 2020. With Wu-Tang Clan, Robyn, the Strokes, Disclosure, and others. Friday, May 1, and Saturday, May 2, at Mana Wynwood, 318 NW 23rd St., Miami; 305-573-0371; manawynwood.com. Tickets cost $99 to $249 via iiipoints.com.
    They're coming to the Oracle on February 21. Hopefully I can make that.

THREADS
    Wu Forever!
    The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - RZA live score
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How Han Chiang of Han Dynasty turned a themed dinner into friendships with his hip-hop heroes

The 15-course tasting dinner is inspired by the rap supergroup's first album — and has drawn guests from GZA to Masta Killah.

Han Dynasty owner Han Chiang poses with Wu-Tang Clan's Masta Killah at a 15-course tasting dinner inspired by the group's seminal album "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)."
    Yong Kim / Staff Photographer
    by Beatrice Forman
    Updated Dec 13, 2022

A Chinese restaurant owner, a member of the Wu-Tang Clan, and a guy from South Jersey walk into a bar.

Actually, it wasn’t a bar. It was the University City location of Han Dynasty for Monday night’s Wu-Tang Beer Dinner, a 15-course family-style Sichuan meal with 15 beer pairings that’s loosely inspired by Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), the rap group’s seminal first album.

Now in its seventh year, the dinner’s vibe is very nightclub-meets-potluck: Jamel “Masta Killah” Irief (another Wu-Tang member) presided over the room, there were flavored blunt wraps at each table to encourage some undercover puffing and passing, and diners were instructed to eat and talk with complete strangers.

Owner Han Chiang, 43, said the dinner has roots in his Lancaster County upbringing, where, as a Taiwanese immigrant, Chiang said he was the only Asian student in a majority white school.

“I was dealing with a lot of racism back then, so I almost exclusively listened to a lot of angry music,” Chiang told The Inquirer. “Now, [Wu-Tang ’s] music feels different. I’m not as angry any more.”

For the diners, the tasting is the realization of a fandom fantasy, where they get to slurp noodles and slug beer in the presence of hip-hop royalty for $145 a pop.

But for Chiang, the event is a childhood dream realized: He’s forged friendships with group members like Raekwon, GZA, and Method Man, who filmed the music video for his song “Big Sky” in one of Chiang’s New York City restaurants.

“It was a dream come true,” Chiang said. “If you build it, they will come.”

Owner Han Chiang holds court at the restaurant's annual Wu-Tang Beer Dinner, which drew around 100 diners.

Now regarded as one of the most significant albums of the 1990s, Enter the Wu’s mixture of cipher-style rhymes, hardcore production, and East Asian influence has left a traceable imprint on hip-hop. The group’s lore has spawned a scripted series on Hulu, a spot in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and, yes, another Wu-Tang-themed dinner in Seattle.

Here, the album lends an aura to the menu, but Chiang said the event was originally supposed to be a literal interpretation of the 36 chambers: 36 courses spread across breakfast, lunch, and dinner and three of his restaurants. Monday’s menu was a mixture of traditional Sichuan favorites, from cumin-spiced lamb with shrimp crackers to snapper topped with peppercorns on the vine and a flaky pineapple-stuffed puff pastry for dessert.

Attendees skewed Gen-X and white, with a sprinkle of 20-something hypebeasts thrown in. Some were casual listeners, while others were longtime fans.

For Tina and Rodney (who didn’t want to provide their last names because of the undercover puffing and passing), the pair of engaged ex “secret office lovers” who now live in Mt. Airy, it was a trip back in time.

“Tonight takes me back to my late teens and early twenties, wearing Timbs and baggy jeans, and smoking blunts,” said Rodney, who was a freshman at West Chester University when Wu-Tang’s first single “Protect Ya Neck” dropped. (He later went on to write a paper on the song “C.R.E.A.M” for a literature class, which he did not deem an academic success).

Others were Wu-Tang rookies: One guy said he listened to a song and half before attending, but Chiang’s cooking was actually the bigger the draw.

At Han Dynasty's annual Wu-Tang Beer Dinner, guests are encouraged to sit with strangers (and maybe pass around a joint).

When Chiang started throwing the tasting in 2014, he didn’t have authorization from the group. Then, Greg “G” Provost — the WPRB 103.3 FM DJ who was the first to play Wu-Tang on the radio and still works with the group on Philly appearances — caught wind.

“I found out on Facebook, and when I looked at the menu, I saw pork everywhere, and I got mad. How are you going to do a Wu-Tang dinner and have pork on the menu when they’re totally against pork?” Provost, who is from South Jersey, said, referencing several of the group members’ Muslim faith.

As Provost tells it, he marched down to the restaurant to tell Chiang: “I said, ‘It’s cool you guys are doing this, but it’s really disrespectful for pork to be on the menu.’”

Chiang apologized and swapped pork for beef. A few weeks later, Provost invited him backstage to a GZA concert, and soon, the trio was “smoking blunts and talking about everything — food, music, family.”

Chiang’s favorite memories from chilling with the Clan? A tie between a Christmas Eve visit to a strip club in Queens for Chiang’s birthday with Raekwon, and a trip to Atlanta to meet Raekwon’s family.

Plates of Sweet Sesame Duck, one of 15 courses served at the Han Dynasty's annual Wu-Tang Beer Dinner in University City.

“His mom cooked me the best Southern food I ever had,” Chiang recalled. “It was a special experience.”

Admittedly others have tried to fanboy their way into Wu-Tang ’s inner circle in the past. Disgraced “pharma bro” Martin Skreli paid $2 million dollars in 2015 for the only known copy of an unreleased album from the group, only to publicly fight the group as they tried to reclaim the album during his legal proceedings.

So, why then, is Chiang’s admiration different?

“What sticks out about Han is humbleness. I would’ve walked right by him,” said Masta Killah, who met Chiang for the first time at the dinner. Praise of Chiang’s cooking spread through the rap group, so Irief, who is vegan, was excited to try a specially-prepared menu just for him.

“Han’s real. He’s very dedicated and very, very intense, but he takes a lot of pride in his food … and that’s the thing,” Provost said. “A lot of people have money, but they don’t have his understanding.”

Published Dec. 13, 2022

Beatrice Forman
    I'm a general assignments reporter who enjoys covering Philly-specific tomfoolery, both online and IRL.
    Wu-Forever!
    Kung-Fu-Restaurants-amp-Bars
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Project Shaolin

Xbox Wu-Tang Clan Game Details Leak
    BY JOHN BONELLI
    PUBLISHED 5 DAYS AGO
    Project Shaolin, the Xbox game centered around the famous hip-hop collective the Wu-Tang Clan, leaks some key details about the title's gameplay.

HIGHLIGHTS

Project Shaolin, a co-op melee combat game developed by Brass Lion Entertainment, will reportedly feature all nine members of the Wu-Tang Clan and incorporate their music into the gameplay.

According to leaks, the game will have a social space called "The Neighborhood" for players to enjoy music and engage in various activities, potentially with live service capabilities.

Project Shaolin is likely to be an Xbox console exclusive and may release on Xbox Game Pass in the future, with an official reveal yet to happen.

A new batch of key details have emerged about the Xbox Wu-Tang Clan game codenamed Project Shaolin. First reported back in 2021, Project Shaolin is an Xbox game described as a sort of hip-hop-infused third-person melee dungeon crawler with up to four-player co-op and a heavy helping of Wu-Tang's music and style.

Xbox has a lot of projects in the works at all of its internal studios, including Bethesda and Activision Blizzard. When it comes to third-party partnerships, Xbox also has some interesting games in development with several talented external studios as well. Contraband, a co-op heist game, is still in production at Avalanche Studios, the team behind Just Cause. The Hitman studio, IO Interactive, is collaborating on what seems like a fantasy title in Project Dragon. Xbox's partnership with Kojima Productions is still in play, as well as a handful of smaller titles like Ara: History Untold and Towerborne, both set to launch next year. One of Xbox's more intriguing partners is the beloved hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan, teaming up for the co-op melee combat game known as Project Shaolin.

The Fallout TV show's reveal impresses Xbox executive Phil Spencer so much that he is blown away by its trailer, ahead of the show's 2024 release.
    It seems like development on one of these third-party projects is progressing quite well, as some key details about its gameplay and art design have surfaced. According to Insider Gaming, Project Shaolin, which is in its alpha stage of development at a newer studio named Brass Lion Entertainment, will allow players to play as all nine Wu-Tang Clan members. As expected, the title will heavily incorporate Wu-Tang Clan's beloved discography, and it'll even be fused with the game's third-person action combat.

Interestingly, Project Shaolin will provide players with a social space called "The Neighborhood" where they'll be able to enjoy music and use vendors among other activities. The Neighborhood hub seems perfect for co-op, but the way it's described by Insider Gaming makes it seem like it's built with live service capabilities in mind. Insider Gaming added that Project Shaolin's art style is quite reminiscent of the Spider-Verse animated films, incorporating a stuttered frame rate for a more stylized visual effect. Project Shaolin won't be the first musically-focused Xbox game to feature an animated cartoon-like art style, as just this year Tango Gameworks' Hi-Fi Rush released to rave reviews and has been nominated for five categories at The Game Awards.

Will Project Shaolin Be an Xbox Console Exclusive?
    Since Project Shaolin is being developed by Brass Lion Entertainment as part of a third-party partnership with Xbox, it's a safe bet that the Wu-Tang game will be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem. Additionally, Project Shaolin might drop directly onto Xbox Game Pass when the time comes. Insider Gaming noted that the game still looks like it's one or two years away from being released, but it's possible that its official reveal could be coming sooner rather than later, perhaps at the imminent Game Awards.
    Hopefully one of you gamers will have something to say about this...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips