Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas to build strength

Ideas to build strength

Hey guys.

Would like to discuss some ideas and/or exercises to build and develop strength?

For specific body parts and whole body work outs....

Opinions, advice, techniques and etc

Thanks

Deadlift. Squat. Pullups. Overhead/bench press
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Hi Iron.

What Ironfist said. Powerlifts, Olympic lifts. They will serve you very well.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

There is a sticky thread with tons of links....

I am not a big fan of olympic lifts for beginners, heck I have even seen "adavnced" ST peple screw them up.
    You really need a goof coach for them.
    The core powerlifts:
    Deadlifts
    Squats
    bench press
    Overhead presses

Are all you need, though if you don't like the bench press or don't have a bench press rack, Weighted Dips work even better than the BP, in my humble opinion.
    Just remember that if you are working for strength you need to keep the reps low ( no more than 5 and the 5 x 5 protocol is quite excellent), the weight high ( at LEAST 85% of your max) and the amount of time low.
    IF you are doing MA too, remember that your MA workouts will cut into your recovery time and that you must tkae that into account.
    Typically try to out in a rest day between your ST and MA.
    EX:
    MA on Monday
    ST tuesday
    Wed rest
    MA thursday
    ST friday.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yeah, Olympic lifts not easy vs. powerlifts.

Weighted dips would be tough on my shoulders I reckon.

If you wanna talk training protocols, I'm still doing Pavel's PTP. 10 out of 14 day cycles (2 x 5/7). Used to be pretty popular on this forum ~5 yrs ago. Works well for me. I'm less strict now though. I miss days, mainly because I've been surfing a lot in the mornings instead.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Yeah, Olympic lifts not easy vs. powerlifts.

Weighted dips would be tough on my shoulders I reckon.

If you wanna talk training protocols, I'm still doing Pavel's PTP. 10 out of 14 day cycles (2 x 5/7). Used to be pretty popular on this forum ~5 yrs ago. Works well for me. I'm less strict now though. I miss days, mainly because I've been surfing a lot in the mornings instead.
    The ROM that you can do is what wil make things "tough" on your shoulders, some people tend to go to low with dips, besides, you only add the weight you can handle for X number of reps.
    One thing though, the qty of reps that one does actaully effects the joints ( knees and shoulder typically) far more than the amount of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You really need a goof coach for them...
    Really? I had a goofy coach last time... I'd like a good one this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    I'm still doing Pavel's PTP. 10 out of 14 day cycles (2 x 5/7).
    What's PTP? And what are those numbers in parentheses after your cycles?!

BTW, can anyone recommend any good youtube vids for good oly form? There's so much variation out there, there must be something good. I want a wee challenge for my week 'off' before the next part of my programme!!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

One thing though, the qty of reps that one does actaully effects the joints ( knees and shoulder typically) far more than the amount of weight.
    I'm assuming 'qty' means 'quantity' rather than 'quality'? Either case would be true!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    What's PTP? And what are those numbers in parentheses after your cycles?!
    An abbreviation for Pavel Tsatsouline's "Power to the People" routine. I've described it on here before (somewhere in the archives). I'm sure it's described on dragonsdoor. IMHO it works very well with a MA program (mainly because it produces minimal-to-no DOMS). The numbers meant I only lift on weekdays, but two weeks is a complete cycle so I said 10 days out of 14 is a cycle then put in brackets 2 x 5 days out of 7.

An abbreviation for Pavel Tsatsouline's "Power to the People" routine. I've described it on here before (somewhere in the archives). I'm sure it's described on dragonsdoor. IMHO it works very well with a MA program (mainly because it produces minimal-to-no DOMS). The numbers meant I only lift on weekdays, but two weeks is a complete cycle so I said 10 days out of 14 is a cycle then put in brackets 2 x 5 days out of 7.
    Aha. Thanks.

I might try Pavel when I've finished my programme. I've only gone a month into a 12 month programme though so it'll be one for the back burner. I've just started Alwyn Cosgrove's programme for false beginners from 'New Rules for Lifting'. It's marv.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    I'm assuming 'qty' means 'quantity' rather than 'quality'? Either case would be true!
    Quantity of reps, correct, thing repetitive motion trauma.

ST is very simple actually, progressive resistence training is just that, progressive.
    People tend to forget the progressive part and wonder why they are not getting stronger.
    Doing lots of reps isn't getting stronger.
    Lifting more weight is getting stronger.
    Remember lifting 150 lbs 10x is not the same as lifting 300 lbs 5 times.

Quantity of reps, correct, thing (sic) repetitive motion trauma.
    My shoulders agree . Osteolysis from military press and incline bench years ago when I thought excessive volume and hardcore DOMS were the way to build strength.

My shoulders agree . Osteolysis from military press and incline bench years ago when I thought excessive volume and hardcore DOMS were the way to build strength.
    I hear, and don't forget, MA is all about repetitive motion, our joints get enough repetition work in the MA, more than enough really.
    No need to agrevate it more with excessive amount of rep work in ST.
    Another thing to do is to do ST moves that are "practical" for real world action.
    Deadlifts for example - every time you life something from the ground you are dead lifting.
    Curls are one of the few "isolation moves" I advocate simple because we do so much of it on a regular basis.

Curls are one of the few "isolation moves" I advocate simple because we do so much of it on a regular basis.
    Prefer weighted pullups, they're one of my regular cycle lifts.

Prefer weighted pullups, they're one of my regular cycle lifts.
    Oh, I agree with the pull ups and chins, but doing curls can give some people great results, please they do hit the bicep in a rotary motion, which you don't get with pull ups unless you are doing them on rings or with the "perfect pullup"