Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's 2008 training log

Scott's 2008 training log

This is my training log for 2008. I decided to call it a training log instead of a judo log because a lot of what I'll be documenting is strength and conditioning and maybe not so much Judo and Jiu Jitsu due to being in Graduate school.

Okay first Biographic info:

Name: Scott

Height 6 foot

Weight Right now around 185-187, made great gains in weight since starting training for strength in August of 2007 (gained a good 15lbs!)

My Old 2007 Judo/training log

Places I train:

Panther Grappling Club

I may refer to this as "Pitt Grappling Club"

The South Hills Judo Club

And I generally lift weights at the Peterson Event Center.

Okay, here are some goals:

Short term goals:

Implement my new workout routine (more details about this)

Manage to bench press 85lb db's

If time and weather permits to get to the running track and run some sprints

To do any sports when the opportunity presents itself. Pick up football, tennis, or anything else that is fun and will aid in conditioning.

To use more of the technical knowledge that I've accumulated when I roll

To be more quick when I roll, whem I'm less sluggish I do a lot better than when I'm just not there

To be more mentally focused when rolling, this also helps me do better

(with regards to above)

To focus throughout practices and forget about socializing with others until after practice

Longer Term Goals

To be putting up respectable #'s, and especially to improve my bench press

To be conditioned in a way that will improve my sport (judo/bjj) performance

To learn and better implement olympic/dynamic lifts into my training routine

To win in a jiu jitsu competition. I feel I do great in practice (sometimes) but I have never won in a competition.

To improve my focus and start a regular meditation/visualization practice

To make it to as many Judo/BJJ/Rolling session as time will permit (without failing out of school)
    Last edited by Scott Meneely; 12-13-2007 at 06:03 AM.

New Workout Plan

Although I've made some great gains with my old routine I want to implement a routine that is slightly different.

The Old Routine:

Push Day

Pull Day

Squat Day

Making one of these days each week a max effort day (pyramiding from 5 reps downward with the addition of more weight) and the rest of those days doing 5 x 5

The New Routine

Still Probably use a 3 day split, but I will work the whole body each session. I would like my workouts to look like this

Day 1

Push movement (ex: db bench press) (This will be 'push dominant' day and the push movement will be the highest intensity)

Pull movement (ex: weighted pull up)

Do supersets of these, and then:

Lower body movement (ex: Squats/Deads)

Plus: Dynamic movements (cleans, swings, etc)

Plus: Assistance lifts

Day 2
    Similar with pulling movement as the highest intensity

Day 3
    Similar with lower body intensity, alternating weekly between squat/squat variation and dead/dead variation focus

Also: I would like to do conditioning whenever the opportunity presents itself!

Why the new routine?

In sport muscles are rarely worked in isolation

Push and pull motions in the same day lead to better hormone response

To see what kind of gains I make, if I don't make any I'll switch back to my old routine or another routine.

Thing I can do to improve my judo/bjj

Solo drilling when I can't get to class (shadow uchi komi, resistance band kazushi)

Agility work (skipping rope, running sprints, etc.)

Focus throughout the practice (beat up on my short attention span)

Allow myself to get into 'bad situations' when grappling, so that I have to overcome them frequently

__________________________________________________ _________

I will add to all of these goals and try to keep a record of my progress towards them all. I hope this log allows me to see where my training is right and where it could be improved. I also appreciate any training advice, tips, or discussion from anyone who cares to read or comment.

I will start posting regularly in this log when I arrive home from vacation on 12/23 (but due to the holiday probably won't get to workout til after that).

While in Panama I plan on visiting Gracie Barra Panama and a judo school. I have emailed several judo schools to see which ones are near to my wife's family's home. I'll try to update on my first international martial arts experience asap!

Just got back from Panama City, Panama. My athletic life took a vacation and I didn't do much of anything while in Panama. Not to make excuses but A) it was hot B) my wife's family's house was not all that big, and C) we were really really busy doing things.

I did get to visit the Juan Ivaldi school of Judo. They were very welcoming and the experience was great. Sensei Noriyuki Sasaki of New York happened to be visiting Panama and gave the class, and he gave it in English which was great for me! All of the black belts in the class were great, and they made sure to let me know that they were my judo family away from home and that I could always train there!

The only other remotely athetic thing I did was play futbol (soccer) with my brother in-laws, and a Canadian guy. Woulnd't you know the North Americans were the only guys who scored any goals. Also did some swimming, but in all reality it was a week away from everything. My diet was okay, a lot of fried food in Panama (bananas, yucas, etc), but a lot of fresh seafood, fruit, and other stuff.

It was a great trip, now it's time to get back to working out!
    Last edited by Scott Meneely; 12-24-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Good luck with the log!
    I've been doing judo for a little while now and I can say that it is good wholesome fun! Very explosive, dynamic, and aggressive. The learning curve is awesome.
    Have you thought of kettlebell training? That helps a lot with explosiveness, endurance, grip, and coordination.
    A unique snowflake

12/25
    Did some pushups and walking lunges, but pretty much took it easy, it's christmas. Plus I can get back into the gym tomorrow and see how weak I really am!

Winterpalm
    The gyms I go to do not have kettlebells, however I would love to add them to my training and actually have started implementing some kb movements (swings) into my training.

12/26

Didn't get into the gym due to the limited hours over the holidays and some previous plans of mine....

2 min jumprope
    30 sec rest
    30 sec burpees
    30 sec rest
    2 min jumprope
    30 sec rest
    30 sec squats
    30 sec rest
    2 min jumprope

resistance band kazushi

ab stuff (v-ups, bikes, planks etc.)

stretching

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Meneely View Post
    Just got back from Panama City, Panama. My athletic life took a vacation and I didn't do much of anything while in Panama. Not to make excuses but A) it was hot B) my wife's family's house was not all that big, and C) we were really really busy doing things.

I did get to visit the Juan Ivaldi school of Judo. They were very welcoming and the experience was great. Sensei Noriyuki Sasaki of New York happened to be visiting Panama and gave the class, and he gave it in English which was great for me! All of the black belts in the class were great, and they made sure to let me know that they were my judo family away from home and that I could always train there!

The only other remotely athetic thing I did was play futbol (soccer) with my brother in-laws, and a Canadian guy. Woulnd't you know the North Americans were the only guys who scored any goals. Also did some swimming, but in all reality it was a week away from everything. My diet was okay, a lot of fried food in Panama (bananas, yucas, etc), but a lot of fresh seafood, fruit, and other stuff.

It was a great trip, now it's time to get back to working out!

you slacker.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Nothing worth documenting the past few days, some bodyweight stuff. All of the weightrooms on campus are closed. I also had a little bug.

Seven, if I was a slacker before what does this make me? I may go out to south hills judo next week.

12/31

The last 2007 workout (probably)

2 min jumprope

30 sec rest

30 sec squats

30 sec rest

2 min jumprope

30 sec rest

30 sec burpees

30 sec rest

1 min jumprope

30 sec rest

30 sec squats

push/pull between resistance band and pushups

static stretching
    Last edited by Scott Meneely; 12-31-2007 at 12:51 PM.

How was your trip, slackah!

Glad to hear you're back. I'm trying to get back on the logging wagon. My new log is here: http://pittfrog.blogspot.com. I like the blog format more. I'll also be discussing other crap besides BJJ/Judo and conditioning.

What days do you practice at Pitt? Maybe I can make it down there.

Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog View Post
    How was your trip, slackah!

Glad to hear you're back. I'm trying to get back on the logging wagon. My new log is here: http://pittfrog.blogspot.com. I like the blog format more. I'll also be discussing other crap besides BJJ/Judo and conditioning.

What days do you practice at Pitt? Maybe I can make it down there.

Nice new blog! Good to hear from you! I might be able to make it out to south hills judo on Mondays, maybe, we'll see how the semester goes. Pitt hasn't set the schedule yet, but I usually go on fridays (gi night).

Nothing log worthy as of late, bodyweight stuff, and today went out to the soccer field in shenely park and ran some sprints in the snow and ice! That'll get the lungs working!

I have been a slacker, I can't wait for next week to get in the weight gym. I'm smaller and I bet I lost some of the strength gains I made last year in the gym. Oh well, I have to get a gym membership to a gym that doesn't close over semester break.

Back to the weight room

Supersets
    standing barbell overhead press 115lbs x 5
    High Pulls 115lbs x 5
    ohp x 5
    hp x 5

ohp @ 115lbs x 5
    pull ups x 6

ohp x 5
    pull ups x 5

ohp x 5
    pull ups x 5

55lb db bench press

db rows, 65lbs

I went really easy on this session. Hopefully later in the week will pick back up on the intensity and will get stronger again. I can probably make it to Pitt grappling on Thursday and Friday this week.

Squats
    225 x 6
    225 x 5
    225 x 6
    225 x 5
    225 x 5

Supersets, bodyweight pull ups to dips
    pull ups x 6
    dips x 20

pull ups x 5
    dips x 15

pull ups x 5
    pull ups x 4
    pull ups x 3

stretching

1/11

Pitt grappling

Worked on some principles since it was the beginning of the semester

Grip fighting (standing)

Posture

Breaking grips

Getting the inside grip

Went over collar chokes from guard

Rolled with one guy, got him in the gift wrap and couldn't finish, finally got him with an armbar

1/12

Weights-------I think I'm going back to the 3 day split of one day puch, one day pull, one day squat, each week picking one max intensity day. I will still try to do some supersets on the push or pull day. I don't really like doing the whole body thing.

db bench press
    70lb db's x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Deadlift
    225lbs x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5

db ohp
    55lb db's x 5
    55 x 5
    55 x 5
    55 x 5
    55 x 5

Supersets
    cable push downs to pull ups

pushdowns x 10
    pull ups x 4

push downs x 10
    pull ups x 3

push downs x 10
    pull ups x 2

One lateral raise immediately followed by one front raise
    15lb db's x 10
    15 x 10
    15 x 10

On monday I'll get back on the old routine of three days a week. I really feel I made good progress, and it was a good program for making progress.