Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scott's 2008 training log

you got some really decent squatting in there man. your push exercises arent bad either. how come pulls so low in comparison?
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    you got some really decent squatting in there man. your push exercises arent bad either. how come pulls so low in comparison?

Really? I always think of push as my weakest, especially the bench press, maybe that's cause the gym is filled with bench jocks that bench everyday, so they lift a hell of a lot more than me.

When you say pulling, I'm assuming you're talking about rows. Usually I do them after deads and weighted pull ups, I'll try to go max effort and see if I can pick up the numbers next week. I love weighted pull ups (or any pull ups for that matter), so I usually do them first.

You also reminded me that this coming week will be max effort deadlift!!! I'll try an go for 315!

Ha, Scott Mendelson, that's a dude that has nice push numbers!!!

When you coming to Pittsburgh man? I'm waiting!

actually i was talking about deads ... i should have just said that to avoid confusion. aside from those who lift equiped, most people have a dead that is a bit higher than their squat. your max squat should be right around 375ish .... so im shocked you arent pulling at least 4 plates. if you get that deadlift up, your squat is gonna go through the friggen roof man.

and you're pushing strength isn't weak at all. 75lb db presses and 55lb ovdb presses aint bad at all for the reps your doing it at. you're rep strength kills mine.

unfortunately i wont be up to pittsburgh for anything but sushi or comedy clubs any time soon. i haven't been able to train martial arts since going back to school. im in school by 8am and i dont get done with work until 9pm monday through friday, plus i work every saturday until 6pm. i squeeze in lifting at 930 3 nights a week, but thats all i can do for now. there aren't any classes run at times i can make it, and even if there were there's no way id be able to fit it in. not with the family, the house, etc. i miss it ... but unless suzi lands another job that lets me go down to part time i just gotta do what i gotta do.
    where's my beer?

2/8

Weightroom

Squats
    (225 x 6) x 5

goodmornings
    (95lbs x 8) x 3

lunges with 95lbs on back

Panther grappling club (gi night)

Drilled throws

Drilled open guard with feet on biceps, drilled 2 sweeps and triangles

Rolling:

Newbie I owned
    Wrestler owned me
    newbie I owned
    Ryan owned me

2/9

South Hills Judo

Jiu jitsu

Scissors sweep

Elevator sweep

Stand up, Marcus from Pittsburgh Muay Thai taught

Shadow boxing

Marcus told me too much weight was on my back foot (which I was doing to spring forward to jab)

Worked on details of Thai kicks, when step front hand goes down, switch hands for momentum, come up on the planted foot.

Worked with a lot of the guys on remodeling the club!!!!

South Hill Judo will now have a boxing ring!!!! Also got rid of bleachers and will extend the mats to that wall!

2/11

Went out to South Hills Judo but didn't get to practice. We had to stretch the mat covering and finish fixing the place up. The boxing ring looks great, and the new mat design is also great.

In the gym today (2/12) I plan on doing max effort deads. I hope to go beyond 300lbs. I think I'm strong enough, but my grip gives out (I don't wear gloves or anything).

We'll see.

Did some skippin rope, push ups, and other stuff. Too much snow to go to the gym.

For the past week I did some push ups, bodyweight stuff, didn't go to the gym, was depressed and lazy!

Today 2/23

Deads
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    245 x 4
    255 x 5
    255 x 4

Bodyweight pull ups
    5 x 5

Rows
    60lb db's x 6

Went to the mat room, did some heavy bag hitting and kicking and messed around with acrobatic stuff, cause I felt like it.

Did cartwheels looking in the mirror, and they didn't look to horrible. I did some handstands against the wall (going to try to be able to do them without a wall).

Static stretching.

Monday I want to go to south hills judo or the weightroom.

2/25

South Hills Judo

I only attended the first hour.

Ne Waza

Drilled guard vs. guardpasser

Worked on Kimura

If you can't get kimura straighten uke's leg to roll him over (leg on same side as the kimura)

Worked on a guard pass (stacking)

Guard pass to paper cutter choke (thumb in deep!)

South Hills Judo recently lost their BJJ teacher, which is a shame. They are looking to find someone to replace him, but for now it's just judo (and muay thai!)

2/26

Push

standing db ohp

50lbs x 8
    55 x 6
    60 x 5
    60 x 5
    60 x 4

Dips, bw

Incline Bench

115lbs x 5
    115 x 5
    115 x 5
    115 x 4
    115 x 4

Some knee raises

um.....welll......yeah

It's been a while since I did anything substancial. I've had a bad case of the winter blues, grad school and my busy schedule are in the way, and a lot of things just really hit me at once. I have done some home exercise, push ups and what not, not to any intensity, but just to not turn into a complete fat useless.....ummm

Went back to the weightroom last week, did some atg squats and pull ups.

Yesterday (3/24)

Supersets, db bench to db rows
    55lb db's x 10 (bench)
    x 5 (row)

x 10 (bench)
    x 5 (row)

65lb db's x 5 (bench)
    x 3 (row)

x 5 (bench)
    x3 (row)

x 5 (bench)
    x 3 (row)

2 x 2 min round of jump rope, 30 sec in between.

Went to Pitt wrestling club, they showed me some wrestling basics.

Will go to the gym tonight!

Recently my diet has been very bad. I've had unusual sweet cravings, and I'm not doing anything about it (except giving in ). I hope to get my athletic life back on track.

I'm glad you didn't fall completely off the wagon, but you could've at least done a step express class or something.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I'm glad you didn't fall completely off the wagon, but you could've at least done a step express class or something.
    Dude, please don't take this as an insult, but you've turned into a gym rat!

That's a good thing though. What's been going on with the bjj/muay thai?

3/25

Squats
    135lbs x 8
    225 x 4
    225 x 4
    224 x 4
    135 x 6

did some dumbbell snatches with 40lb db's

did some hyperextensions w/ 25lb plate.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Meneely View Post
    [Okay, here are some goals:

Short term goals:

Implement my new workout routine (more details about this)

Manage to bench press 85lb db'sIf time and weather permits to get to the running track and run some sprints

Is there a reason that you can't bench press 85 pounds when you weight 180+ pounds? I weigh 190 pounds and work out with 160 pounds. When I max out I can bench around 220 pounds. 85 pounds sounds aweful weak to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Is there a reason that you can't bench press 85 pounds when you weight 180+ pounds? I weigh 190 pounds and work out with 160 pounds. When I max out I can bench around 220 pounds. 85 pounds sounds aweful weak to me.

I said 85 lb db's, that would be 170lbs, which yes is pretty weak (although dumb bell exercises do tend to be a bit more difficult).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Meneely View Post
    I said 85 lb db's, that would be 170lbs, which yes is pretty weak (although dumb bell exercises do tend to be a bit more difficult).
    For DB's that's pretty resonable for someone that does ST as a compliment to his MA.
    I would probably suggest low incline DB's instead of flats.
    Why?
    Because I say so !!

I don't do "benching" myself anymore, prefer dips and presses.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !