Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA legal in which states now?

More on Ontario

See post 4 above.

Ontario commissioner says mixed martial arts is illegal under Criminal Code
    February 4, 2008 - 18:59
    By: Neil Davidson, THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - While the UFC trumpets its first show in Canada, predicting a sellout at Montreal's Bell Centre for its April 19 card, the door to mixed martial arts in Ontario remains closed.

"It (staging a mixed martial arts show) is a Criminal Code offence," Ken Hayashi, chairman of the Ontario Athletic Commission, said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press.

Hayashi refers to Section 83.1 of the Criminal Code which says anyone who "engages as a principal in a prize fight," encourages, promotes or is present at a prize fight as an aid, second, surgeon, umpire, backer or reporter is guilty of an offence - unless the "boxing contest" is "held with the permission or under the authority of an athletic board or commission or similar body established by or under the authority of the legislature of a province for the control of sport within the province."

The section also allows "a boxing contest between amateur sportsmen, where the contestants wear boxing gloves of not less than one hundred and forty grams each in mass."

"A mixed martial event is not a boxing contest," Hayashi said.

Other jurisdictions disagree. Quebec and Alberta hold MMA cards regularly. Halifax, Winnipeg and Prince George, B.C., have also hosted events.

Vancouver City Council, however, voted last September to stop holding MMA events.

Keith Crawford, president of the Hardcore Championship Fighting circuit, shakes his head at the discrepancies between jurisdictions.

"It's the same Criminal Code from coast to coast, obviously," he said. "Section 83 applies the same in Calgary and Edmonton as it does in Ontario.

"I believe it's just the choice of the individual jurisdictions as far as the boxing and wrestling commissions that are approved by local government choose not to approve the sport for whatever reason. And without being really negative on it, I believe the reasons are personal. To not have this sport showcased in the largest province and, quite frankly too, the largest audience participation province in terms of national television is ridiculous."

Crawford promoted a show Saturday in Calgary, with his next slated for March in Gatineau, Que. Maximum Fighting Championship, based out of Edmonton, has a show planned for Feb. 22 in Edmonton while TKO has an event slated for Feb. 28 in Montreal.

"I can't speak for other provinces," added Hayashi. "If they want to regulate it, that's up to them . . . but the province (Ontario) isn't going to put regulations in something that will be deemed under the Criminal Code as illegal. Would we want to take on that liability and responsibility?"

Crawford says Ontario could sanction MMA if it came up with proper practices for promoters to follow - such as liability insurance and medicals - and went through the proper paperwork. He estimates it could be done in a matter of weeks.

And despite the Criminal Code provision, Crawford says he is doing nothing wrong in promoting MMA shows.

"Absolutely not. Because in Calgary, for instance, and in Edmonton and in Enoch, Alberta, and in many jurisdictions across Canada, the local governing bodies have chosen to approve a set of rules to allow mixed martial arts. So it's just a choice, again, that the Ontario Commission is making. Ken Hayashi, if asked, will say it's out of his hands. He's absolutely wrong on that point."

But Hayashi says he's not the bad guy here.

"I don't want people shooting the messenger here. I said if they had regulations in place, I would regulate it. I have a martial arts background," he explained, adding he has studied martial arts himself for more than 45 years and even taught karate.

Marc Ratner, who spent more than 20 years with the Nevada State Athletic Commission including 13 as executive director, is now the UFC's pointman for expansion. MMA is now sanctioned in 32 U.S. states, as well as the District of Columbia and Ratner is working on the rest.

Arkansas, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania and Virginia all approved MMA in 2007, according to the UFC.

New York is high on the "to do list."

"We're coming everywhere," is one of UFC president Dana White's favourite expressions.

Ratner, who was slated to fly to Tennessee on Tuesday to visit its legislature, said he talked to Hayashi last week and has invited him to see the Montreal show,

"I've known Ken for many years and I respect him very much," the UFC vice-president said Monday from Las Vegas.

"Whatever we have to do to change the law, we will help him in whatever ways we can," he added.

Opening up the sport south of the border depends on the jurisdiction. In Nevada, for example, all that was needed was to have the state athletic commission approve the sport. In other states, including New York, legislative action is required.

The sports is still fighting its 'back-in-the-day' Toughman image of no rules and no holds barred.

"It's about education, is really what it is," Ratner said.

Athletic commissions can make money off the success of the sport. In Nevada, for example, the athletic commission takes four per cent of the gate, which was $2.4 million US last Saturday at UFC 81 in Las Vegas. The commission also made US$50,000 TV rights tax.

"For some of these states, it might be their whole budget," Ratner said of the athletic commission's take.

With Montreal set for April 19, Ratner is eyeing other Canadian venues despite the local commission's objections.

"I certainly would love for us to go to Toronto. The city of Edmonton, their arena as well as their commission, has been talking to us for over a year also."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Its always been that way in Ontario, I had to go to Montreal to compete in Kyokushin and Vale Tudo matches and even the VT were on Indian Reservations.
    Even MT is over regulated here (Ontario), with excessive padding and such 9 unless this has changed recently).
    This regulation was used over and over to "cripple" full contact MA (except for TKD) in the past and will be used over and over again until the right "pockets are lined"...

Politicians...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

red rover red rover...

...send Maryland on over.

Lawmaker proposes bill to sanction MMA in Md.
    The Associated Press
    3:45 PM EST, February 6, 2008

ANNAPOLIS - Mixed martial arts competitions such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship are illegal in Maryland -- but one state lawmaker wants to change that.

Democratic Delegate Kirill Reznik of Montgomery County has proposed a bill allowing the mixed martial arts contests. He says the law change would allow Maryland to play host to nationally known events. Reznik has studied a version of a martial art called Chinese Kempo for more than 20 years.

Reznik says all Maryland's neighboring states except West Virginia allow the fights. Lawmakers in Michigan signed off on a similar bill about mixed martial arts last year.
    Legalizing Mixed Martial Arts Competitions
    Contributor: Dave McHugh
    Last Update: 2/06 4:09 pm

ANNAPOLIS - Competitions and events like the Ultimate Fighting Championship are illegal in the state of Maryland, but one state lawmaker wants to change that.

Democratic Delegate Kirill Reznick of Montgomery County has proposed a bill which would allow mixed martial arts competitions in the state. Reznick says a change in the law would allow Maryland to host nationally known events - such as the Ultimate Fighting Championships. Reznick has studied Chinese Kempo, a version of a martial art, for more than 20 years.

Reznick says all of the states surrounding Maryland, except for West Virginia, allow the fights. And lawmakers in Michigan signed off on a similar bill last year.

Reznick's bill would only allow a person to participate in a mixed martial arts competition if the State Athletic Commission licenses that person. The licensee would also have to be examined by a specified physician under specific circumstances and the person would have to provide documented evidence of certain medical tests.

The bill is sponsored by Reznick and 18 other state lawmakers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

For a brief moment, let me be serious, no, really

MMA is now MONEY. Any smart state can see the dollar signs of sanctioning and collecting fees from legalizing MMA. NY is a rare exception, because of two distinct rock heads who are also deeply affiliated with BOXING (surprise! surprise!)

But it is just a matter of time
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Great find Gene,

I didn't even know that was going on in my own state, although I live in Montgomery County's neighbor PG (Plead Guilty) county. I'll be sure to add my support and vote on this bill especially in regards to state legislature where I have a few friends.

I hear you on the money, lkfmdc

It's going to be something to consider if McCain becomes the Republican candidate. We all know how he championed the anti-MMA movement. Given the war, the economy, the environment and all the other critical issues facing our next president, MMA seems minor. Nevertheless, it's something to consider.

You calling McCain a rock head?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

At last, an answer

I was emailed privately with this link. It's exactly what I was looking for initially here. I'm not sure how often it's updated, but seems quite current at this posting.
    In What USA States Are Kickboxing and or MMA Legal?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's going to be something to consider if McCain becomes the Republican candidate. We all know how he championed the anti-MMA movement. Given the war, the economy, the environment and all the other critical issues facing our next president, MMA seems minor. Nevertheless, it's something to consider.

Some people have suggested McCain came down hard on the UFC because he receives a lot of donation money from Budweiser, who just happens to sponsor a lot of boxing events.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I was emailed privately with this link. It's exactly what I was looking for initially here. I'm not sure how often it's updated, but seems quite current at this posting.
    In What USA States Are Kickboxing and or MMA Legal?
    That link hasn't been updated since Oklahoma banned amateur MMA in November.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I haven't heard McCain talk about MMA in a long time, and if I remember correctly, that was before both NJ and NV began to sanction it and the format was changed significantly....

When it was chased out of NY, it was an easy target (very few rules, was being sold as violent, was backed by po-rn money!)

In NY we have our own rock heads, we don't need McCain!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Some people have suggested McCain came down hard on the UFC because he receives a lot of donation money from Budweiser, who just happens to sponsor a lot of boxing events.
    Actually McCain's wife (who he traded in his first wife for after she was crippled), is the chairwoman of Hensley and CO, an Anheiser-Busch distibutor.

And yes, Budweiser is an Anheiser-Busch company that does sponsor alot of boxing events.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

the UFC should just sue ontario, it seems that is all they are good for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Sort of OT, sort of still about state legality

I was going to post this on our illegal fight clubs thread, but I forgot it got closed. I almost reopened it, but then thought it better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Illegal Fights Staged, Posted On Internet
    Some Say Staging Fights Becoming Disturbing Trend
    Reported by Cara Kumari
    POSTED: 6:03 pm CST February 18, 2008

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. -- A new trend that's illegal and dangerous is being recorded and circulated on the Internet.

Home video of what some said is a troubling trend in Clarksville shows local teens meeting in back yards, beating each other up and calling it a sport.

“I think the kids are dumb. I look at them and think, ‘What are you doing?’" said Ron Dayley.

Dayley owns a mixed martial arts studio in Clarksville and said the amateur fights really worry him.

“I’m worried that some kids are going to put on a little show fight and get hurt,” he said.

When fighters train in Dayley’s facility, they are surrounded by padded walls, wear headgear and are often trained by professionals.

But the backyard brawls are taking place on the grass. The participants are wearing thin gloves, no headgear and the referees are other teenagers.

In Tennessee, fighters can practice mixed martial arts -- a combination of wrestling, jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai -- but it's illegal to hold any formal competitions in the state.

Lawmakers are looking to change that, and Dayley said he supports the change.

“It's a great sport. It's legal just about everywhere else,” he said.

But he said the fake fights are tarnishing the entire sport's image. He said he hopes that if the Legislature legalizes organized mixed martial arts fights, it will knock out many of the amateur contests.

“If it's legalized, you'll get the kids off the street fighting more. It's an outlet,” he said.

The legislation dealing with mixed martial arts would allow organized matches to be held in the state.

Supporters said the fights could bring in a lot of money to Tennessee and also more regulations. They also said they worry that if someone gets hurt in one of the backyard brawls, it could hurt the bill's chances of passing.

Dayley said if he knows someone in his gym who is participating in the fake fights, he kicks them out. He said he's asked other gym owners in the area to do the same.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I was going to post this on our illegal fight clubs thread, but I forgot it got closed. I almost reopened it, but then thought it better to let sleeping dogs lie.
    If anything stuff like this should wake people up, let people know the need for more amature mma. People are very interested in the sport, why not make a amature league? I love the IFL so something like that would work great.

Red rover, red rover...

...send MD on over.
    MMA sanctioning proposal set to move forward in Md. Senate
    By Childs Walker | Sun Reporter
    February 27, 2008

Efforts to get mixed martial arts sanctioned in Maryland appear on track after a senate committee showed no signs of opposition yesterday to a bill that would give the state athletic commission regulatory power over the sport.

The committee on education, health and environmental affairs likely will decide by Friday whether to forward the bill to a vote by the entire state senate, said sponsor Joan Carter Conway, a Baltimore Democrat.

But no one spoke against the legislation at yesterday's hearing in Annapolis. Senators posed only a few questions about safety regulations.

Conway said Maryland is losing out because the sport is sanctioned in Washington and in such nearby states as Virginia, Delaware and New Jersey.

"We're sitting in the middle of our region, where all of our dollars are going elsewhere," she said.

She echoed John Rallo, a former fighter who co-owns the Ground Control gym in Canton and has spurred the sanctioning effort. Rallo said he is tired of seeing his fighters travel out of state to practice what they learn from him.

He said the sanctioning would produce licensing revenues for Maryland and lead to the growth of small businesses associated with mixed martial arts.

The sport, best known through the Ultimate Fighting Championship promotion, combines boxing, kickboxing, amateur wrestling and submission grappling. Fights are generally contested in a cage and can be won by knockout, referee's stoppage, judge's decision or opponent's submission.

UFC ran its first fight cards in the 1990s, but the sport was then nearly run out of the country by legislators and activists who considered it barbaric. It experienced a renaissance, however, after promoters began to embrace boxing-style regulation by state athletic commissions.

Mixed martial arts is sanctioned in 32 of 50 states, and UFC pay-per-view shows draw hundreds of thousands of buys at $40 a pop.

If it receives committee approval, the Maryland senate bill, or its cousin, sponsored by Del. Kirill Reznick, will still have to be passed by the entire legislature and signed by Gov. Martin O'Malley.

If the effort makes it that far, the state athletic commission would then have to draft rules for supervision of the sport. That process, which would include the training of doctors, referees and other fight officials, could take until late this year or early next year.

Yesterday's hearing offered the first public opportunity for supporters and opponents to comment on the legislation.

Patrick Pannella, executive director of the state athletic commission, said he welcomes the chance to oversee mixed martial arts. Michael Kelly, a ringside doctor from New Jersey, and Michael Mersch, an attorney for the UFC, testified to the effectiveness of regulations in other states.

The bill also drew support from Dr. Frank M. Reid III, the influential pastor of Baltimore's Bethel AME Church.

"It makes great business sense," said Reid, who watches the sport with his son and trains under Rallo. "MMA is one of the fastest-growing sports in the country, and Maryland should not be left behind."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips