Thread: MMA legal in which states now?

32 states as of now...

...according to this article at least.
    MMA sanctioning efforts moving forward
    Ground Control owner Rallo encouraged by Md. legislators' response to bill
    By Childs Walker | Sun reporter
    3:25 PM EST, March 3, 2008

Click here to find out more!

Efforts to get mixed martial arts (MMA) sanctioned in Maryland took an important step forward today when a senate committee announced it had given a favorable nod to a bill that would allow the state's athletic commission to oversee the sport.

After receiving approval from the committee for education, health and environmental affairs, the bill will move to a vote by the senate. A house version, sponsored by Del. Kirill Reznick, a Montgomery County Democrat, has a committee hearing Wednesday afternoon.

Senators posed few questions about the bill during a hearing last week.

"It's good to see all the hard work that we've put in paying off," said John Rallo, who co-owns the Ground Control martial arts gym in Canton and has spurred the sanctioning effort. "I've been as proactive as possible with this issue and tried to arm my guys and the athletic commission members with as much information as possible. We've tried to make sure we have the answers to questions before they come up."

The state athletic commission has the power to oversee boxing, kickboxing and wrestling but not mixed martial arts, which is an amalgam of all three along with submission grappling.

The sport is best known from the reality programs and pay-per-view cards promoted by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC.)

Local gym owners say they're tired of sending MMA trainees to Delaware, New Jersey and Virginia for fights. The bill's sponsor, Baltimore Democrat Joan Carter Conway, agreed, saying the state should get in on the profits from a growing sport.

MMA is sanctioned in 32 states.

"The sport is mainstream now," Rallo said. "It's time for everybody to catch up."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Never mind states...

...there's the city level - I wasn't even thinking about that.

Andover bans mixed martial arts
    Tuesday, 04 March 2008
    by Eric Hagen

Andover followed the lead of a few other Anoka County communities and expanded its mixed martial arts ban to include every place in the city, public or private.

The Andover City Council on Sept. 5, 2006, passed an ordinance that forbid mixed martial arts, commonly known as ultimate fighting, as well as boxing and wrestling in any licensed establishments such as bars.

The council on Feb. 19 unanimously agreed to expand its mixed martial arts ban to any public or private building or place in the city.

The new ordinance is identical to one the Blaine City Council passed in August 2007.

Blaine looked into a mixed martial arts ordinance because some Centennial High School students had organized a fighting competition in a city park that drew around 100 students.

Blaine police were able to disperse the crowd because of noise complaints from neighbors, but were unable to cite the students who organized the event because organizing a fighting competition was not illegal at that time in Blaine.

Capt. Tom Wells of the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office Patrol Division said the Andover High School police liaison officer proposed expanding the mixed martial arts ordinance to include outdoor locations because last fall, some students had organized a fight by a railroad bridge underpass, which deputies found on You Tube.

Similar to Blaine, there are laws in place to go after the fighters, but it’s harder to go after the organizers and the spectators.

Andover and Blaine’s mixed martial arts ordinances allows police officers to cite everyone involved.

Wells said mixed martial arts has not been a huge problem in Andover, but the sheriff’s office did not want to wait until it became a bigger problem.

“It’s more preventative,” he said. “It’s not a huge problem in the city of Andover, but it would be a proactive approach to dealing with future issues.”

Wells said there have been some organized fights in back yards of homes years ago, so he felt it would be best to blanket the community in the restriction so that fighters, organizers and observers could be fined whether they are in a city park, their backyard or even a participant’s home basement.

“I think if you want to restrict the behavior, you have to go on private property,” Wells said.

Anoka County Commissioner Scott LeDoux, who was appointed by Gov. Tim Pawlenty to be the Executive Director of the Minnesota Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Commission, said the ban should only be against unsanctioned fights and not the entire sport.

The state legislature during the 2007 session officially recognized mixed martial arts as a sport that should be sanctioned. Participants are screened for HIV and drugs, must pass physicals and adhere to the competition rules.

LeDoux said there is a strong Midwest fan base for mixed martial arts and the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) league will be coming to the Target Center this August.

“I think it’s foolish for cities to banish sports regulated by the state,” said LeDoux, who represents a portion of southern Andover. “It stops revenue from coming into their city.”

LeDoux said bars used to put on tough man fights that were unregulated. The competitors were usually drunk, LeDoux said.

Establishments can be fined for putting on unsanctioned fights, he said.

LeDoux’s feedback led Ramsey Police Chief Jim Way to recommend the Ramsey City Council only forbid unsanctioned fights and not sanctioned fights. The council agreed to this in October 2007.

Capt. Kerry Fenner, interim police chief of the Blaine Police Department, said his department has not responded to any organized fights since the ordinance went into effect, but he said they may not have been tipped off or it could become an issue when the weather warms up.

Spring Lake Park passed a complete ban of mixed martial arts in early 2005 and have not had to enforce it yet, said Police Chief David Toth.

The cities of Columbia Heights and Fridley passed ordinances in early 2005 only forbidding mixed martial arts in establishments with liquor licenses.

Columbia Heights, Fridley and Spring Lake Park passed mixed martial arts ordinances in early 2005 in response to a November 2004 incident outside of the Minnesota Sports Cafe in Fridley where two assailants beat a man into a coma.

Authorities believe that all three had attended a mixed martial arts match in the Minnesota Sports Cafe, according to Fridley Capt. Brian Weierke
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

MMA in MD

Is that the proper usage of the word 'oversight'?
    Senate delays mixed martial arts decision
    The Associated Press
    1:42 PM EDT, March 18, 2008

ANNAPOLIS - The Senate has delayed making a decision on whether to allow brutal mixed martial arts contests in Maryland.

Lawmakers decided Tuesday to put off for one day a decision on whether to regulate sometimes-brutal fights known as mixed martial arts. Currently such contests, sometimes called "ultimate fighting," are illegal in Maryland.

Supporters say the mixed-martial arts contests should be allowed but need oversight by the state agency that also oversees boxing matches. But some senators questioned whether Maryland should allow violent fights, sometimes fought in cages.

The measure was rescheduled for further debate Wednesday. A similar bill is pending in the House.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No, 'oversight' is not the proper word in that sentence.

As of this week Texas allows elbows and knees from the clinch in amateur fights. They were always legal in pro fights though.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Speaking of writing, here's something on Minnesota

Despite a horribly misleading title (we can and have discussed kung fu in the cage elsewhere) I do agree about the writing issue. We've yet to see a Hemingway of MMA. That's a very interesting argument to me. There are some underlying implications that could be fleshed out there.

Kung-Fu Lawmaking
    Posted at 1:34 PM on March 19, 2008 by Michael Marchio (0 Comments)

So by now, everyone's probably come across mixed-martial arts. That's the technical term for Ultimate Fighting Championships, the sport that basically revolves around two dudes in a cage beating the living daylights out of each other using various martial arts styles, like kickboxing and kung-fu. Last year, the state voted to have any match conducted in the state be subject to regulation by the Minnesota Boxing Commission.

Some participants were unhappy about the extra supervision, but they may be having the last laugh, because it looks like the name of the Minnesota Boxing Commission is changing to Minnesota Combative Sports Commission, out of deference to them.

HF3913, sponsored by Rep. Bob Gunther (R-Fairmount) would, besides changing the name, requires "combatants" to pass tests for Hepatitis B, C, and HIV, in addition to last year's requirement that they become licensed, and allow for MCSC board doctors to require a medical examination after a combatant's injury before returning to fight again.

Call me sentimental, but this seems like a symbolic changing of the guard, from the generation that followed boxing - grandparents, mostly - to the one that follows Ultimate Fighting - their grandkids.

Its too bad that Ultimate Fighting, at least so far, hasn't inspired the same great writing that boxing has. There may be a Mailer, Remnick, Hemingway out there somewhere, though, that just hasn't made it big yet.

Today was the last day before lawmakers go on Easter break, so I'll be handing out some kudos at this session midpoint tomorrow for some of the big point-earning bills, teams, and lawmakers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Despite a horribly misleading title (we can and have discussed kung fu in the cage elsewhere) I do agree about the writing issue. We've yet to see a Hemingway of MMA. That's a very interesting argument to me. There are some underlying implications that could be fleshed out there.
    Think you just gave me an idea...
    A buddy of mine's a born writer, but doesn't seem to realize it.
    Only writing I can get him to do is album/concert reviews for some of the bands he listens to.
    The reviews have been going over pretty well, lots of subscriptions to his blog where he writes them.
    Wish I wrote more myself, but up until now I haven't had anything to really sink my teeth into or maintain my interest like my buddy's reviews do for him.
    Even if it's just playing around for my own enjoyment, I think that might be a good side-project to get me started.

btw- kinda shocked mma in maryland's still in the dark ages; it sure explains this event that fell apart around 2004.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Md

click for pic.

MMA Coming Soon to Maryland

Michael David SmithPosted Mar 22nd 2008 1:52PM by Michael David Smith
    Filed under: Baltimore, Fighting, MMA, MMA/Boxing
    Maryland is poised to become the latest state to realize that mixed martial arts is, in fact, a legitimate sport.

In a development that will no doubt be condemned by a newspaper columnist with a lot of Maryland readers, the state senate approved a bill on Friday that would allow the Maryland State Athletic Commission to oversee mixed martial arts. Supporters hope and expect that the legislation will pass in the House of Delegates and be signed by the governor. Gym owner John Rallo explains how the bill got passed:

"If we would have tried to get it legalized without supplying the stats and making the experts available to testify, I don't think it would have ever gotten passed," he said. "Education was the best way to get what we wanted, and I believed that all along."

Rallo has it exactly right: Opposition to MMA is based on ignorance, and the way to combat that opposition is through education. When a big MMA show turns up in Baltimore, fans will have Rallo to thank.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Canada

When are we just going to make them a state?
    Cops charge fight promoters; Another mixed martial arts contest planned Saturday for Six Nations
    Posted By Susan Gamble
    Posted 5 hours ago

The promoters of an "ultimate fighting" event on Six Nations have been charged with holding an illegal prize fight.

But organizers say the charges won't slow plans for the third and, they expect, the largest of the mixed martial arts fights, planned for this weekend.

Six Nations police have charged at least four men under Section 83 of the Criminal Code, which prohibits fighting with fists in contests that haven't been authorized by a legislated board or commission.

Those charged include Bill Montour, the president, director and secretary of the Grand River Athletic Corp.; James Procyk, the promoter of the Iroquois Mixed Martial Arts Championships; Dave Mair, the head coach of the local Team Iroquois; and Jason King, the commissioner of the Grand River Athletic Commission.

The charges relate to the first fight held by the group, last November.

more charges coming?

Six Nations police are still investigating the February mixed martial arts fight.

A police spokesperson could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

However, in a February news release, police said the prize fight was a criminal offence.

"The event was a 'for profit' enterprise for Mr. Montour and his partners," police Chief Glenn Lickers said in the news release.

"There is also a concern that if this type of event is illegal off the territory, what element of other schemes will be attracted to our community."

Lickers noted that "a number of Hell's Angels and Red Devils" showed up for the fight wearing their colours.

Procyk, of Hamilton, said he and others charged haven't appeared before a judge yet but they do have a lawyer who will help address the charges.

"The (Saturday) show will go on," he said Wednesday. "There's nothing we can do about the charges just now and we have a great program on Saturday. We're hoping it's our biggest turnout yet."

Fighter Shonie Carter was to be the headliner but, due to an injury, he had to back out, Procyk said. Carter will still be on hand to meet and greet the fans and cheer on the fighters in the eight to 11 bouts scheduled.

Fighters are coming from area fight clubs and from as far away as California, Georgia and Amsterdam, the organizer said.

Regarding concerns about motorcycle gangs attending the fights, Procyk said all posters note the event is drug-free, alcohol-free and that gangs are requested not to wear their colours.

"If they pay for a ticket, they can come in like anyone else."

The fights will take place at the Iroquois Lacrosse Arena on Second Line Road, near Hagersville.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still more from the Great White North

...from a proud Canadian, no less.
    Ultimate fighting is barbaric
    The Ottawa Citizen
    Published: Thursday, April 24, 2008

Re: St-Pierre punches ticket to fame, April 21.

Although I am a proud Canadian, I am ashamed to be a Montrealer after my city and province allowed the Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight title match last Saturday. It was the first time UFC came to Canada.

Ontario officials, please, do better and do not sanction this barbaric so-called "sport" to take place in your province. Stand strong for Canadian "civilization."

I am not against roughness in sports; I am against savage violence.

If the goal of a sport is to physically harm another human being, then it is wrong and should be banned. Hockey and football have violence but it is peripheral and can be controlled -- the goals are to get a puck in a net and a ball across a goal line.

The goal of UFC or "Mixed Martial Arts" fighting and boxing is to strike and overpower another human being. Olympic wrestling does not harm the human body while one single punch to it causes immediate harm.

The only logical explanation must be that the vast majority of fighters and organizers must have been mentally and/or physically abused growing up because the main way they express their self-worth is to hurt others so as to feel better about themselves.

Wrapping "fighting and boxing" in themes of sportsmanlike honour and regulation is misleading. Fighting and bullying should be repulsive to any civilized person.

If society condones these activities, it directly leads young people accepting fighting and aggressiveness as OK and the "cool, tough" way to deal with conflict. It takes a stronger man to control his violent urges than to give in to them. We should be raising boys and girls to be repulsed by violence. The only place for fighting is in personal and societal self-defense. We are reverting to ancient gladiatorial spectacles and martial values. I am saddened about this and will do everything in my power to stand up for non-violence and human civilization.

Mike Trepanier,

Montreal
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...from a proud Canadian, no less.
    He's an idiot, there is more violence and savagery in a hockey fight and that is NOT even part of the actual sport.
    This guy must have been toilet trained at gun point.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

If society condones these activities, it directly leads young people accepting fighting and aggressiveness as OK and the "cool, tough" way to deal with conflict. It takes a stronger man to control his violent urges than to give in to them. We should be raising boys and girls to be repulsed by violence. The only place for fighting is in personal and societal self-defense. We are reverting to ancient gladiatorial spectacles and martial values. I am saddened about this and will do everything in my power to stand up for non-violence and human civilization.
    What message does this guy think is being sent when people cheer for a fight during a hockey game ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

oh, who cares about Canada?

Oh wait, Canadians buy a fair amount of our magazine. Canada is cool.

Back OT, here's the state of AMMA in the state of KY...
    (PressZoom) - FRANKFORT, Ky. ( April 29, 2008 ) – A bill passed by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Steve Beshear will make the growing sport of amateur mixed martial arts ( MMA ) safer in Kentucky.

House Bill 684, sponsored by Rep. Steve Riggs ( D-Louisville ), extends regulations enforced by the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Authority to amateur MMA bouts. Previously, only professional MMA matches were covered. The bill also establishes a medical review panel for the authority.

The authority’s rules help ensure the safety of participants by requiring a medical exam for each competitor, requiring a ringside physician for each match and mandating prompt access to an ambulance, among other measures.

“This was needed legislation, and we are glad it has become law,” said Larry Bond, commissioner of the Department of Public Protection, which includes the boxing and wrestling authority. “The legislation will allow some regulation in a contact sport where amateur MMA competitors were exposed to risk and injury by competing in unregulated matches.”

The medical review panel, which will consist of three to five physicians, will consider medical issues that come to the attention of the boxing and wrestling authority. Among their tasks will be examining the medical records of competitors and making recommendations to improve health and safety.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Banning MMA?

"we're not interested."

Proposed mixed martial arts ban dealt a blow
    By Michael Holtzman
    Wed Apr 30, 2008, 08:17 PM EDT

Fall River - With Mayor Robert Correia trying to squash a controversial sport the state’s declined to regulate, the City Council Tuesday threw a haymaker on his plans to ban “ultimate fighting.”
    After hearing a dozen protesting advocates of what’s loosely called mixed martial arts – from trainers to parents to participants – the council voted a “leave to withdraw” on Correia’s draft ordinance.
    Rather than continue discussion within its ordinance committee, the council said, in effect, “we’re not interested.”
    “People came from all over the state and their voices were heard,” Correia said, criticizing the council’s action. “I don’t know who spoke for the children of Fall River last night.”
    “It appeared that the only option was to totally ban mixed martial arts, and I don’t feel we had any interest in doing that,” said Councilor Cathy Ann Viveiros after proposing not to bring the draft law to their ordinance subcommittee and ask dozens of protesters to return.
    Viveiros said she was particularly impressed by parents saying MMA was “working well as an alternative sport,” teaching their children discipline, self-protection and self-respect.
    She also felt re-assured the combination of mixed martial arts and “grappling” – which includes submission holds – was safe after hearing youth versions prohibited striking opponents.
    “Please don’t bridge the gap between ‘Ultimate Fighting’ and my kids’ program,” Tim Gillett, owner of Gillett’s Mixed Martial Arts and Ultimate Training Academy in Fall River, said.
    “At no time in any of these matches have kids under 18 been hit in the head as part of the sport,” Gillett, 37, also a substitute city middle school teacher, told the council.
    Ultimate Fighting is a brand name that promotes the MMA adult fights generally involving fighters 18 and over, said Joe Cuff, vice president of the North American Grappling Association in Connecticut.
    NAGA’s president, Kip Kollar, spoke out against the proposed ban, bringing a poster advertising the New England grappling championship scheduled June 28 at B.M.C. Durfee High School. It says samurai swords will be given to first-place winners.
    NAGA sanctions the tournaments the Gillett studio has participated in. Children as young as 6 or 7, have excelled in competition, said the owner, who said their success may have prompted recent attention on Fall River.
    “Nobody’s died from it,” Kollar said, stating more serious injuries result from children playing football and soccer.
    Correia, further criticizing the council, said, “I don’t want Fall River to be known as the ultimate fighting place. We need a public debate.”
    He cited the $300,000 annual grants the city received for gang prevention. “What kind of mixed message are we sending our children?” he asked.
    Advocates said the number is multiplying, with Michael Varner, a Randolph center owner, saying, “It’s the fastest-growing sport in the world.”
    The state, after a lawsuit, stopped regulating MMA fights in 2005, and no rules are in place prohibiting minors from contact fighting, published reports said.
    It was a front-page Boston news story earlier this month that prompted Correia’s proposal. “It is atrocious that in today’s society we are encouraging our children to be more violent in a society that does not need any more violence,” he wrote the City Council.
    When he, Viveiros and council President Joseph D. Camara were asked if they had seen Gillett’s Web site, none had.
    Among the online graphics includes a boxing stick figure with the message: “When punching them in the face just isn’t enough.”
    Another, of two male adults in a hold titled “triangle chokes,” reads: “There is a special kind of satisfaction in knowing that the last thing your opponent will remember before blacking out is the smell of your b---s.”
    Those describing the sport to the council presented a far less violent or vile approach.
    Fred Melco, a city police officer who practices MMA, said it’s the adults that compete in fights, while children enter “grappling tournaments” using a point system and submission like judo, boxing and kickboxing.
    “It’s a sport and everyone’s missing the concept of it,” Anna Maria Moitoso of Woodman Street said, describing how her high school son won two high school wrestling matches before beginning MMA training with Gillett. This year he won 23.
    Catherine Lambert of Detroit Street described how her son, born with club foot, “learned how to defend himself” and gained self-respect.
    Council Vice President Pat Casey smiled and nodded when Gillett, recognizing her, asked if she’s a black belt karate expert. Casey emphasized the “total respect” found in martial arts. She said the “Ultimate Fighting seen on TV… is bizarre,” adding, “They’re linking that to all of this… and that’s totally false.”
    Casey, Viveiros and Camera each said they planned to watch matches at Gillett’s center.
    “I voted to get rid of it (the ordinance),” Camera said, “but I was thinking – and I think my colleagues were thinking – that we will revisit it.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

this crap is exactly why I hate governments. little weanies sitting on a "commission" exerting their power over everything with no democratic representation. They just do whatever.

if dieselheads want to fight, let them fight. Then I can watch, observe their weaknesses and get better

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlin View Post
    this crap is exactly why I hate governments. little weanies sitting on a "commission" exerting their power over everything with no democratic representation. They just do whatever.

if dieselheads want to fight, let them fight. Then I can watch, observe their weaknesses and get better
    Commissions are needed. They do several things that are necessary including overseeing (and in some states insuring) that promoters pay fighters and not write hot checks, make sure fighters are tested for disease (though this varies by state, in Texas they test for AIDS and HepB), make sure gross mismatches are not allowed, ensure that the promoter carries insurance to cover fighters medical costs for injuries sustained during the bout, and they train and license the referees as well.

They of course do more, those were just off the top of my head.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams