Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA legal in which states now?

I know, Canada is not a state in our union...

If this keeps up, I'll split the Canadian's out to their own thread.

Councillor Calls for MMA Ban
    Says 'ridiculous' fights have no place in City of Gatineau-owned venues
    By AEDAN HELMER, SUN MEDIA

Quebec won't outlaw events in wake of 'isolated' brawl

A Gatineau city councillor is leading a campaign to ban mixed martial arts from city-owned venues, and wants to see extreme fighting eventually banned across the city.

Coun. Alain Pilon, who heads Gatineau's commission on sports, leisure and recreational activity, said he will call for an outright ban on the blood sport (extreme fighting) when council reconvenes Aug. 18.

Pilon said Gatineau Mayor Marc Bureau is onside with the idea, and he has also been gaining support from other colleagues.

"You hit the head of the other guy until he goes unconscious, and then you win. That's totally ridiculous," said Pilon. "It has no place in society, and especially not in Gatineau."

Pilon said he will first push to have mixed martial arts (MMA) banned from all city-owned venues, including the Robert Guertin Arena, where 3,000 fight fans packed the stands for last weekend's Freedom Fight.

WRONG KIND OF ATTENTION

Pilon will consult with the city's legal department about a blanket city-wide ban.

While the Freedom Fight was popular among fans, Pilon said the show attracts the wrong kind of attention as well.

Police are still investigating a brawl that broke out at a Gatineau Best Western hotel room after-party.

Two fighters were sent to hospital after nine men broke up the party, attacking guests with fists, bottles and a Taser.

Seven-time MMA champion Claude Patrick and event promoter Pete Rodley were among those attacked at around 4 a.m. Sunday.

Pilon said he was also upset with promoters for exploiting a city loophole by booking the arena for a "spectacle" instead of a sport.

Pilon, as head of the city's sport commission, said he would have denied permission to promoters if they had attempted to book the event as a sport.

"Nobody ever came to the commission to ask for permission for this," said Pilon. "Clearly we'll review that (process) and we'll see about fixing that."

Pilon said he hopes the public would support the ban.

"Extreme fighting events are banned in Ontario and most provinces except Quebec and Alberta. So we'll review with the commissioner and with council and hopefully move to ban this is our territory. We don't need this."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Georgia hasn't been the freindliest to MMA, but it seems to be coming around. They opened a school in Kennesaw called Hard Knox, and I joined for hte gym and some classes. Good quality place, and hte MT trainer works with Brian Stan. I saw him working his MT the other day when I was lifting.

Cool stuff.

Kung Fu's more fun, though. So it's still cross-training to me.

If you're in the Kennesaw and Marietta area, check it out. It's up near the club Cowboys. Their website isn't very detailed yet, but they're new, so they'll probably need a while.

www.mmahardknox.com

The guy who runs the gym said Rick Steiner aka "Dog-Faced Gremlin" is going to be running their wrestling program.

Now that's friggin' awesome....LOL....and part of the reason I joined.

more on TN

I know the boys at Tiger Claw's TN office are excited for this.
    Panel kicks up legalizing mixed martial arts contests
    Events could be held 'by Thanksgiving'
    By Richard Locker (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008

NASHVILLE -- Memphis businessman and interim city councilman Jack Sammons is taking on another enterprise: The newly elected chairman of the new Tennessee Athletics Commission hopes big-ticket professional mixed martial arts contests will arrive in the state by year's end.

The nine-member commission was created by the state legislature this year as part of a major bill to legalize professional mixed martial arts competitions. The commission will monitor and regulate the sport, which includes kick boxing, wrestling, and other forms of fighting. The commission also regulates professional boxing in the state.

Sammons' colleagues on the new regulatory board elected him chairman earlier this month, and he said Monday he expects the regulations that will govern mixed martial arts will be approved at the board's Sept. 30 meeting.

The panel also warned promoters and venues that until its rules and regulations are approved and it issues permits, it considers "any amateur and professional unarmed combat sports event to be illegal." There have been reports of MMA events already held at some venues in the state.

Sammons, who was a citizen appointee of Gov. Phil Bredesen's, said his interest in the commission's work "is from an economic development perspective," adding, "I'm a longtime boxing fan and am learning quickly about mixed martial arts. As challenged as our state economy is, anytime we can create an opportunity to induce investment in our state it's a great idea. I'm told the major MMA events have a higher gate than Rolling Stones concerts."

Sammons, a city councilman for 16 years until 2007, was selected by the council last week to fill a vacancy on the council until a successor is elected Nov. 4. He is president of a hair products company and also runs a business that manages employee benefits for the airline industry.

He said that he believes the arenas and other venues will be hosting mixed martial arts events "by Thanksgiving."

That's not soon enough for state Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, House sponsor of the Tennessee Athletic Commission Act of 2008 that established the commission and the mixed martial arts regulatory framework. Although the new law went into effect July 1, the last appointee to the commission was not made until this month

"Personally I was hoping the appointments would be made faster. I hope they get this up and going. There's shouldn't be any delay in getting the rules approved. They can go ahead and do that. The economic impact just from these major fights is anywhere from $25 million to $50 million," Todd said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back to NY

you can put lipstick on a ****....
    MMA in New York State still in the cage … for now
    By Thomas Hauser
    Special to ESPN.com
    Updated: September 16, 2008

NEW YORK -- To its critics, mixed martial arts is ugly and grotesque. John McCain has railed against it on the floor of the United States Senate, calling it "human ****fighting."

To its fans, mixed martial arts is exciting entertainment and a legitimate sport.

Now MMA is at a crucial point in its evolution as a business. It's currently sanctioned in 35 states and in Washington, D.C.

The most important jurisdiction not yet in the mix is New York, which has a statute that specifically bans mixed martial arts competition. To overturn that ban, the state assembly and state senate must pass new legislation, which governor David Paterson must sign.

A bill currently pending in the New York State legislature would legalize combative sports in addition to boxing and place these sports under the auspices of the New York State Athletic Commission.

Right now, the action outside the Octagon is as rough-and-tumble as the action in it.

The prime mover in the drive to legalize MMA in New York is Zuffa LLC, the company that controls UFC. Marc Ratner, who served for 14 years as executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, is UFC's vice president for regulatory and governmental affairs.

"We're the lead driver," Ratner said in regards to pushing MMA in New York. "The other organizations are just drafting on us."

Call it what you want, but MMA knows how to draw a crowd.
    In November 2007, Zuffa hired Brown, McMahon & Weinraub (an Albany lobbying firm) for a monthly retainer of $10,000. It also hired Global Strategy Group, a media-relations political consulting firm best known for being utilized by then-governor Eliot Spitzer.

Subsequently, Zuffa made generous contributions to Democratic and Republican campaign causes in New York.

In early '08, Assemblyman Steve Englebright sponsored a bill in the New York State Assembly to legalize MMA. Martin Goldin sponsored a similar bill in the State Senate.

Everything seemed on track for passage. Then the democratic process intervened.

On June 11, the state assembly committee on Tourism, Arts and Sports Development met for what was expected to be a routine vote to send the bill to the entire assembly. But a second-term lawmaker named Bob Reilly had different thoughts.

Reilly, whose district includes Albany and Saratoga counties, evokes images of James Stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." He's a teacher at heart, having coached track and field for 26 years, 17 of them at Siena College in upstate New York.

Speaking against the legalization of MMA, Reilly asked his fellow committee members, "We ban ****fighting and dog fighting. Should we allow humans to enter a cage to knee, kick and punch each other?"

Reilly's impassioned plea carried the day. The bill to legalize MMA was defeated in committee. But like "The Terminator," it will be back.

Proponents of MMA point to the popularity of the sport and its potential to raise revenue, both in commerce and tax dollars, for the State of New York.

Jerry Izenberg, the dean of American sportswriters, is unimpressed.

"In order to be an MMA champion," Izenberg said, "you need every skill that's outlawed on the planet. The very things we pride ourselves on not doing, these people elevate to an art form. I wouldn't even try to dignify it."

Don King expounds on that.

"UFC ain't nothing new," King said. "They started with 'ultimate' fighting, and then they civilized it and made it into boxing. All UFC is doing is taking 200 years of rules and throwing them out the window."

Meanwhile, Reilly finds himself in an unlikely position.

"I consider myself the accidental opposition," Reilly told ESPN.com. "When I came to the committee meeting, I only intended to voice my personal opposition to the measure. But when I swayed enough people on the committee to vote against it, I became the point person in opposition."

Reilly accepts the role of boxing in today's society, although he's troubled by the damage that the sport inflicts on its participants. Mixed martial arts, in his view, goes too far.

"I'm opposed to the proposed legislation because of the brutality of the sport," he said. "The people who are drawn to mixed martial arts are attracted by the brutality of it, which goes above and beyond what you see in boxing. It seems, to me, beyond logic that we in the state legislature would consistently pass laws against physical abuse and physical intimidation, everything from domestic abuse to bullying in schools, and then allow this stuff. We should not be encouraging the glorification of this kind of violence."

And for the monetary issues?

"The argument about mixed martial arts raising revenue for the state is typical," Reilly said. "But our economy shouldn't be dependent on that sort of stuff."

Reilly also notes that the real "money" issue surrounding the legalization of MMA might be the financial resources that have been brought to bear in support of the proposed legislation.

"The battle here is difficult," Reilly said. "We're up against a tremendous amount of money that's available for lobbying as a consequence of the money that mixed martial arts would generate for those who are hiring the lobbyists. Money is the driving force behind this. You see the influence of the lobbyists in the fact that, under the proposed legislation, New York would only get a tax of 3 percent of the revenue generated and whatever we get would be capped at $150,000 for each event. Rhode Island gets 5 percent."

Reilly also believes that Ron Scott Stevens was removed as chairman of the New York State Athletic Commission because he failed to embrace the campaign to legalize mixed martial arts.

On July 23, Stevens was notified by Secretary of State Lorraine Cortes-Vazquez that he was being replaced at the end of the week. Two days later, Gov. Paterson announced that Melvina Lathan (a vocal proponent of MMA) would chair the commission.

Thereafter, Dan Rafael of ESPN.com wrote, "Stevens got the boot for no apparent reason, unless you count the fact that he would not openly support the sanctioning of mixed martial arts in New York, where it is outlawed but facing serious lobbying pressure from UFC officials."

Reilly concurs.

"It's clear to me that this new person was put in her position because of her support for legalizing mixed martial arts," Reilly said. "Can I prove that? No. But if I see something that walks like a duck and it's quacking, I call it a duck."

One of the issues that the New York State Athletic Commission will confront if MMA is legalized is that the commission doesn't presently have the personnel to effectively regulate the sport. Meanwhile, the biggest problem that those against the legalization of MMA face is that no powerful interests are actively opposing the proposed legislation. The bill has passed under the radar of news organizations like the New York Times, which might influence the debate if its editorial board were aware of it.

The American Medical Association has been largely silent as well.

Indeed, Reilly notes, "This came to our committee without forewarning. It was under the radar and almost slipped through without serious discussion and debate. There was a vote. The measure was defeated in committee. And immediately after the vote, the lobbyists started working their phones again."

The bill to legalize MMA will be reconsidered when the New York State legislature reconvenes after the fall elections.

"Our representatives have continued to stay in touch with the appropriate government officials to make sure they understand the reasons why the law should be changed," Ratner said. "I feel very bullish that MMA will be approved in New York."

Reilly is afraid that Ratner might be right.

"I've gotten a lot of e-mail from fans of mixed martial arts," Reilly said. "Obviously, they're against the position I've taken. But when I talk with the people in my district, they don't like the idea of legalizing this form of brutality. The problem is, no one is mobilizing the general public on this issue, and I fear that some members of the Assembly and Senate who oppose the bill on principle will fold on this."

"That would be a shame," the assemblyman added. "I'm sure that some of the people who participate in mixed martial arts are good people. But in terms of what they do in this barbaric sport, they shouldn't be held up as role models. It would send a terrible message to the people of the State of New York -- and particularly to our children."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs down

Reilly also believes that Ron Scott Stevens was removed as chairman of the New York State Athletic Commission because he failed to embrace the campaign to legalize mixed martial arts.
    Well, apparently Reilly is a person who has no education on any of the facts relating to this! Pretty sad, but also pretty standard for those "law makers" in Albany

Why was Ron Scott Stevens removed? How about the fact that under him everyone was sitting on their thumbs with fat, TAXPAYER MONEY FUNDED jobs and yet the commission was generating no income?

During a three year period, Spindola, former legal counsel, was making over $90,000 a year and the only thing he did was agree to one boxing match which was held in a super club and had 600 attendees, it generated less than $2000.

How about the fact that the atheltic commission was preventing people from doing kickboxing, jiujistu, sambo and other perfectly legit martial arts? Apparently the US is the land of the free, unless you live in NY and want to go to a martial arsts event

How about the fact that they interfered with OLYMPIC SPORT judo?

I don't know which is worse, the corrupt commission or the completely ignorant politicians in Albany
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I don't know which is worse, the corrupt commission or the completely ignorant politicians in Albany
    how about corrupt martial artists?

LKFMDC, is the resistance to MMA a primarily political thing, or is it backed up by the feelings of the voters?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    LKFMDC, is the resistance to MMA a primarily political thing, or is it backed up by the feelings of the voters?
    The people I know shouldn't be allowed to vote. I say if your IQ is below a certain number your vote should only count as 1/5th of a real vote. That way stupid people can;t stop progress.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Meanwhile, in Montana

This is Mall vs. MMA. Even if the sport is legalized statewide, privately-owned venues can prohibit it. There's also municipal law, which could override state law in practice.

No Fighting
    By Nick Lough
    Story Published: Oct 1, 2008 at 7:26 PM MDT
    Story Updated: Oct 2, 2008 at 6:55 AM MDT

BILLINGS - Rimrock Mall officials and 12th Planet owners are back in court after the mall claims the club violated their agreement.

It all stems from a mixed martial arts league renting out the 12th Planet holding monthly fights. Mall officials say an agreement between the club and mall bans live performances.

A judge, Wednesday, granted a temporary restraining order stopping 12th Planet from holding fights this Saturday. "It makes it difficult for the people that are competing; it makes it difficult for us as promoters that are trying to get something going for the city of Billings. It's lose- lose for everybody," said Fight Night Promoter Terrill Bracken.

Rimrock Mall officials issued a statement saying it's an unfortunate situation, but they say the fights are not allowed under their agreement and that they were forced to take legal action. Mall officials go on to say they hope the event is able to find a new location and is successful.

Promoters say the show will go on after being relocated to the Shrine Auditorium Saturday night.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

SC vs. Federal property

Interesting. This reminds me of what happened here in CA before legalization with reservation land.

Marines host mixed martial arts event barred in SC
    Associated Press - October 16, 2008 11:35 AM ET

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina authorities say a mixed martial arts contest set for this weekend on Parris Island would be illegal off federal property.

Jim Knight of the South Carolina Athletic Commission said the agency will inform the Marine Corps that state law bans such events. The event set for Saturday costs $20 per person.

A Marine Corps spokesman said its lawyers have looked into the event and found no problem with it, adding it will boost morale among young Marines.

Republican state Sen. Jake Knotts of West Columbia sponsored a bill in May to legalize the sport, which combines elements of karate, judo, jujitsu and kickboxing. But it never got out of committee.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's all about the long green

Sorry the formatting of the first piece is so messy - slag from the source.
    Study shows UFC is poised to contribute millions to New York State economy
    November 10

UFC® Event in New York City Would Result in $11.5 Million in ‘Net New’ Economic Spending; Buffalo Event Would Generate $5.2 Million in Total Economic Activity

With Record-Breaking Event Attendance, Mixed Martial Arts Will Contribute Needed Tax Dollars and Tourist Revenue to Cash-Strapped Communities Around New York State

NEW YORK, NY – A study released today showed that Ultimate Fighting Championship® events in New York City and Buffalo would have a significant impact on state and local economies by generating tax revenues, creating jobs and boosting tourism industries.

Professional mixed martial arts is one of the highest grossing arena sports in the country, drawing sell-out crowds and bringing in millions of dollars in ticket and concession sales. One of the fastest growing sports in America, MMA is regulated in 36 states including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, California and Florida. Legislators in Albany will consider regulating the sport in New York State when the legislative session begins in January.

UFC® is the most heavily regulated of the mixed martial arts leagues. Since 2001, UFC® has employed strenuous rules and regulations to protect its athletes, including medical testing and safety requirements more rigorous than those in professional boxing.

“At a time when the New York economy is in crisis, it would be a mistake for the state to miss out on the considerable revenue that our events would generate. UFC®’s popularity is surging, our fan base is expanding, and our presence is growing. We are eager to bring both the excitement of our new sport as well as its major tax and tourist revenue to New York State,†said Marc Ratner, UFC® Vice President for Government and Regulatory Affairs. “We look forward to being able to meet the tremendous demand that exists for our events in upstate New York as well as New York City.â€

“Our events have brought millions of dollars in tax and tourist revenue to nearly every city we have held an event in – we are constantly breaking arena records for concession sales, merchandise and ticket sales,†said Dana White, UFC® President. “We’re thrilled about the prospect of bringing our sport to New York and hope that legislators will recognize the tremendous economic opportunity it represents.â€

“The Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau is very excited about bringing MMA and the UFC® to New York State and the City of Buffalo,†said Richard Geiger, President/CEO of the Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau. “Each individual event represents thousands of visitors and millions of dollars in economic impact for the city. Hosting world-class events of this magnitude are an important part of showcasing our region while generating dollars for local businesses.â€

“In recent years, mixed martial arts has evolved from its beginnings into a more reformed, organized and regulated sport worthy of our review for sanctioning consideration in New York State,†said New York State Senator Joseph A. Griffo. “In the last fifteen years, it has grown into an international phenomenon. It’s long past time to look into officially sanctioning this sport in New York. More than two-thirds of the states commission mixed martial arts matches. There are significant tourist and tax revenue dollars flowing to neighboring states who are hosting these events. We need to immediately examine the potential for the sport to thrive here.â€

The full economic impact study can be downloaded at MMAFacts.com. Key findings include:

New York City:
    The study found that a UFC event in New York City would generate $11.5 million in ‘net new’ economic activity: $5.3 million in direct event spending, $1.4 million in non-lodging visitor spending, and $4.9 million in indirect/induced benefits.
    The study also found that significant demand exists within the local New York City area for UFC events. Of the 134 UFC events held nationwide from November 1993 to January 2009, only 12 have been within New York regional area.
    Local Jobs
    UFC events would produce substantial employee compensation: UFC events require over 300 staff working on the event, equivalent to the creation of 88 full-time local jobs per event.
    The creation of over 88 local jobs injects $4.2 million dollars in compensation to the local economy.
    Local and State Taxes
    There will be direct revenue benefits for both local and state governments worth almost $1.0 M of total fiscal impacts to New York City and New York State.
    Each event would generate $400,000 in tax revenue for New York City and $555,000 in tax revenue for New York State (from sales tax, hotel occupancy tax, personal income tax, business income tax, boxing/exhibitions tax, auto rental tax)
    Other Local Impacts
    UFC events would result in an additional 1,850 hotel night stays in New York City.
    UFC events would also create additional tourism and media exposure.

Buffalo:
    The study found that a UFC event in Buffalo would generate $1.7 million in direct event spending, $1.4 million in visitor spending, $2.1 million in indirect/induced benefits.
    Local Jobs
    An event would produce substantial employee compensation: Every UFC event requires 300 staff working on the event, equivalent to the creation of 57 full-time local jobs.
    The creation of 57 local jobs injects $1.7 million dollars in compensation to the local economy.
    Local and State Taxes
    There will be direct revenue benefits for both the local and state governments – worth nearly $.4 million of total fiscal impacts to Buffalo and New York State.
    Each event would generate $30,000 in tax revenue for Buffalo and $320,000 in tax revenue for New York State (from sales tax, hotel occupancy tax, personal income tax, business income tax, boxing/exhibitions tax, auto rental tax).
    Other Local Impacts
    There will be a significant net gain in Western New York hotel occupancy: The study estimates that UFC events would add 4,100 hotel night stays representing an additional occupancy of 11%.

The study was conducted by HR&A Advisors.
    Martial-arts group wants state's OK to stage events
    November 11, 2008

ALBANY -- New York could be the next state to host professional mixed martial-arts events, which could result in millions of dollars in revenues and the creation of hundreds of new jobs, according to a report released Monday.
    Advertisement

Thirty-six states currently allow professional martial-arts matches, as well as Washington D.C. and two Native American reserves, said Lawrence Epstein of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

The group wants the Legislature to pass a bill that would allow the state Athletics Commission to regulate martial-arts matches.

Without the regulations, the events cannot be held in New York.

Mixed martial arts events include karate, kickboxing, wrestling and jiu-jitsu, a Japanese sparring method.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

loser

just kidding...
    November 18, 2008
    Couture Hopes NY Approves MMA
    BY GEORGE WILLIS

LAS VEGAS--Despite all the UFC championships he has captured en route to becoming a Hall of Famer, Randy Couture has a dream he hopes to fulfill one day: fighting in Madison Square Garden.

It's only a dream for now because staging professional mixed martial arts bouts is currently banned in the state of New York.

Efforts are under way to get a bill passed in the upcoming session of the New York Legislature to approve MMA and have it regulated by the New York State Athletic Commission. Only then could Couture's dream come true.

Before losing his UFC Heavyweight title to Brock Lesnar last Saturday in Las Vegas, Couture said fighting at the Garden would be a highlight of career.

"It's a historical thing," he said. "Some of the biggest and best fighters in the history of combative sports and boxing have fought in New York state and Madison Square Garden. I would love to fight there. To say I fought in the same place as Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali would be a dream come true."

Couture, 45, is contemplating his future after losing by technical knockout in the second round to Lesnar in UFC 91. One factor in his decision could be whether New York legalizes MMA. If the Legislature approves the bill, UFC president Dana White said New York could host the first event in the fourth quarter of 2009.

A bill to regulate MMA in New York was defeated last summer by the committee on Tourism, Arts and Sports Development because of "the brutality of the sport." Much of the UFC's lobbying efforts this time around are focused on educating lawmakers on the rules and regulations that promote fighter safety.

A round-table discussion on such procedures was held in Manhattan last week with representatives of the UFC, Madison Square Garden, the New York State Athletic Commission and four lawmakers from Albany in attendance.

"It's an uneducated view that somehow thinks the sport is dangerous or barbaric," said Couture, who has been in the UFC since 1997. "If you look at our track record, it speaks for itself. We've had no deaths in the UFC. I've seen a couple of broken bones over the course of a 12-year career, one of which was my arm. Those are things that heal. You see minor cuts and all the things you're used to seeing in combative sports. You see an occasional knockout. The submission holds are very controlled. They're a very technical and tactical. They're not that invasive. Guys tap out, get up and live to fight again another day."

Later he added, "People just need to get past the initial shock of seeing ground fighting and take a real look at the tactics, the discipline and the sacrifice of these fighters."

White is confident MMA will be approve in the upcoming session. MMA is regulated in 36 of the 44 states that have athletic commissions, including New Jersey, California, Florida Pennsylvania and Nevada. UFC is also expanding globally. A group of journalists from Germany were at UFC 91 to check out MMA.

It also doesn't hurt the UFC creates big business. Though the economy is tanking, a near sell out crowd of 14,272 filled the MGM Grand Garden Arena, pumping in much-needed dollars to the Las Vegas community. The cash-strapped state of New York would reap millions on a UFC event, according to an economic impact study released last week.

The study commissioned by the UFC and conducted by HR&AA Advisors, showed a UFC event at Madison Square Garden would generate $11.5 million in economic activity and $400,000 in tax revenue for New York City. The study also showed an event in Buffalo would generate $5.3 million in economic revenues.

At the grass roots level, there are a number of well-respected MMA schools in New York, including the Renzo Gracie Academy in Manhattan. "There are a number of kids programs around the country teaching mixed martial arts," Couture said. "There's discipline, citizenship, a camaraderie that exists at the professional level all the way down."

White said getting professional MMA approved in New York is only a matter of time. "You have to educate the media, the commissions, the lawmakers, everybody," he said. "But we'll get it next year. I thought we'd get it this year, but we'll get it next year."

Then maybe Couture's dream can still come true.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

All about the scrilla

There's a consistent theme with these banning battles. One side says it's violent and the other says 'we could make lots of money...' It's interesting to me to watch that play out politically.
    Council looks at lifting MMA ban
    By KSNW News
    KSNW-TV
    updated 1 hour, 24 minutes ago

HUTCHINSON, Kansas (AP) - The Hutchinson City Council is considering whether to raise its ban of mixed martial arts fighting events in the city.

The council voted 4-1 on Dec. 2 to continue its ban after police and others said they opposed holding the events in Hutchinson because of violent incidents at events held at the Grand Prairie Hotel and Convention Center earlier this year.

Mayor Trish Rose, who voted against the ban, wants the city to revisit the issue. She says the sport is popular and wants more information on the events, what facilities in town could hold the events and how much revenue the events could generate.

She also pointed out that nearby cities like Salina and Wichita already allow the events.

Council members will likely discuss the issue next month.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Washington D.C. just had an MMA card last Saturday the 13th. I didn't go, but some of my friends did and sais it was great. Hopefully more to come.