Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: MMA legal in which states now?

Is it possible to have Beimo fights in the USA?

Awesome find, Chief_Suicide

And now, Massachusetts is teetering...
    Beantown legislation ready to approve MMA
    Thursday, July 23, 2009
    Posted by Jake Rossen/Sherdog.com

Kenny Florian is all smiles: The Patriot Ledger's Jack Encarnacao reports that Massachusetts' state Senate opened the door for mixed martial arts Tuesday, approving a bill that would make the sport legal in Boston for the first time.

Although the regulation still needs to be approved by the House Ways and Means Committee, the procedure appears academic at this point. UFC's Marc Ratner said the promotion is eyeing a summer 2010 event if everything goes through without incident.

Massachusetts would become the 41st state to sanction mixed martial arts, with one key differential: Each town/village/city would reserve the right to bar events from taking place within their jurisdiction. It brings up an interesting issue of micro community standards versus macro state regulation. Previously apolitical fight fans may find some reason to attend city council meetings in the coming months.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wi

I heard where the Wisconsin Tourist Federation changed their name to avoid the acronym. I wish the World Taekwondo Federation would take heed to that.

But back OT:
    Wis. Senate approves mixed martial arts regs
    (AP) – 4 days ago

MADISON, Wis. — The Wisconsin Senate has approved a bill that would impose regulations and fees on mixed martial arts fights.

Under the bill, every contest must have a licensed referee and four licensed judges, a doctor and an ambulance. No one could fight unless they have proof of health insurance.

Mixed martial arts and professional boxing promoters applying for a license would have to pay an annual $500 fee plus a nonrefundable $300 fee per application per event. They would pay event and gate fees up to $12,500 depending on ticket sales.

The bill also tweaks boxing regulations, including increasing the maximum number of rounds from 10 to 12 and increasing minimum glove weight to 8 ounces.

The Senate passed the measure 32-0. It now goes to the state Assembly.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    mass. isn't teetering anymore. They've jumped in and now are sanctioning MMA bouts.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Nice one, Dragonzbane76

You beat me to the punch on this.
    Mixed Martial Arts Coming To Mass.
    Ultimate Fighting Championship Events Approved
    POSTED: 8:24 pm EST November 30, 2009
    UPDATED: 9:22 pm EST November 30, 2009

BOSTON -- Mixed martial arts is coming to Massachusetts.

The Legislature recently passed a bill to allow the sport, making Massachusetts the 42nd state in the country to allow the regulated competitions. The Department of Public Safety will oversee safety and medical requirements.

Mixed martial arts includes Ultimate Fighting Championship events, which are run by parent company Zuffa LLC. The sport's programming is distributed in 132 countries in 20 different languages, according to a statement.

Massachusetts natives Kenny Florian and Dana White lobbied state legislators to bring the sport to Massachusetts. Florian is a lightweight UFC fighter, and White -- who grew up in Boston -- is president of the UFC.

Events could be held as early as the summer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

it's getting creepier as the months go by...

Massachusetts

Mixed martial arts regs signed into law
    Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:10 PM EST

Dover - On Monday, Nov. 30, an initiative to regulate the sport of mixed martial arts was signed into law by Governor Deval Patrick. Senate Bill 998, now listed as Chapter 169 of the Acts of 2009, was filed by Senator James E. Timilty, D-Walpole, whose district includes Dover, in an effort to establish a set of uniform standards and practices to regulate what has become the fastest growing sport in the world.

“I am thrilled that we were able to pass this legislation in a timely fashion. Mixed martial arts is wildly popular, and these regulations will bring us up to speed with the rest of the nation,” said Timilty.

The legislation will transform the State Boxing Commission into the State Athletic Commission, and expand its authority and membership to cover mixed martial arts; aligning the commonwealth with more than 40 states that have enacted similar regulations.

It is important to note, that prior to the bill’s passage, mixed martial arts events were being held all over the commonwealth, but there existed no set guidelines by which to operate. While studies have proven that MMA is safer than boxing, the lack of standards governing the competitions, certification of physicians, referees and participants posed a public safety risk that both the Legislature and the industry worked hard to eliminate.

“These MMA events are held in venues across the commonwealth every day, and have been for quite some time,” said Timilty. “That is why passing legislation to regulate the sport was so important. We want it to be safe for everyone.”

The opportunity to generate new revenue became an ancillary benefit to establishing these much-needed safety regulations. Industry giants such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship have fought hard for regulations in states across the country. They went so far as to adopt a business model whereby they would not hold an event in a state that has not enacted these public safety regulations. Now that the commonwealth has passed the MMA legislation, the UFC has reported interest in holding a large-scale event in Boston, and possibly smaller events in the Worcester and Springfield areas. As a component of the legislation, the state will be in line to retain a portion of the revenue from the gate and pay-per-view sales, not to mention the number of one-time jobs created and local hotel and restaurant revenues.

“The ability of the state to capture a small portion of the revenue from a large-scale MMA event was an added bonus in this difficult economy. In addition, these large-scale events put people to work, and the fans stimulate the local hotel, restaurant and shopping areas,” said Timilty.

The newly formed State Athletic Commission, under the Department of Public Safety, will be in charge of promulgating and enforcing these newly required regulations. Chapter 169 of the Acts of 2009 will take effect 90 days from the date of the governor’s signature.
    "more than 40 states that have enacted similar regulations." So who's left? Where is MMA still illegal?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    "more than 40 states that have enacted similar regulations." So who's left? Where is MMA still illegal?
    New York State for one.
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

This looks like a good list.

Nice post Faxing

This would be an intriguing debate. I hope it is broadcast somewhere if it happens.
    "Anti-MMA sport" Martial Arts Master challenges NY Gov. David Paterson to public debate!

Martial arts Master Christian Whitney of NJ has challenged NY Governor David Paterson to a public debate regarding the legalization of the cage fighting sport known as MMA. The debate will cover all negative traits developed in the sport.

(I-Newswire) January 19, 2010 - On January 18, 2010 Martial arts Master Christian Whitney of New Jersey sent a formal letter challenging NY Governor Paterson to a public debate. This debate is regarding why the Governor feels the sport should be made legal and if he is aware of all of the negative traits that are developed in the practitioners. Master Whitney is concerned that the Governor’s knowledge of the sport is one sided and that he hasn't heard the voice of the people who are against legalizing the sport. He is more specifically concerned if the Governor is aware of the negative facts that the sport’s promoters hide so diligently. This will certainly be a very controversial debate, should the Governor accept.

The debate would also be focusing on if it is simply being considered for revenue to the state without concern of the people or anything else. Gov. Paterson was informed that a press release would be made and that the public would be awaiting a reply. No statement from the Governor's office has been made as of this time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back in TN

Rockwood city councilman fights mixed martial arts
    Posted: Jun 08, 2010 12:37 PM PDT
    By JAMIE LYNN DROHAN

ROCKWOOD (WATE) - Although mixed martial arts has attracted quite a fan base in Tennessee, a Rockwood city councilman is doing what he can to fight it.

The sport, which is also known as cage fighting, became legal in Tennessee about two years ago.

"Most fighters shake hands and compliment the fighter that they fight. It's not at all two people out trying to finish an argument. This is about two athletes coming out and competing against each other," says Kelvin Stokes, with Cage Aggression Fight League.

Stokes is a fighter and promoter of several events throughout East Tennessee. He says cage fighting is a sport for dedicated athletes, just like basketball or football.

However, Rockwood Councilman Ray Collett got city council to ban the events in city owned buildings.

Collett says cage fighting isn't in line with the image the city of Rockwood is trying to project.

"I don't like it as a sport. We don't allow ****fighting. We don't allow dog fighting. I just can't see grown men over 18 beating the tar out of each other in the ring. It's not my thing," Collett says.

Despite the negative reaction from city council, Kelvin Stokes says their events have been welcomed by the National Guard armory in Rockwood.

"Yes we will still keep Rockwood as an option and we'll keep them in our rotation," Stoke says. "We will be back to Rockwood. We will hold more events."

He says he's planning those in the coming months.
    I hate the ****fighting analogy. ****s don't have a choice. MMA fighters do. ****s die after fights. MMA fighters live to fight another day. There's no comparison.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I hate the ****fighting analogy. ****s don't have a choice. MMA fighters do. ****s die after fights. MMA fighters live to fight another day. There's no comparison.
    Gene,
    the word you are looking for is COCK

I agree, it is nothing like COCK fighting

And it is always sad to see a COCK fight
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

lkfmdc, i know, i know...

i'm not looking for ****. i've got plenty of ****. don't even get me started on ****.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ohio is still a go!

Va

MMA bully politician.
    Tuesday February 1, 2011
    Delegate takes on 'bully' critic in martial arts bill
    by The Associated Press
    MCT REGIONAL NEWS
    By Mannix Porterfield
    The Register-Herald, Beckley, W.Va.

Feb. 01--CHARLESTON -- Delegate Barbara Hatfield came out swinging Monday against a "bully" angered by her opposition to a mixed martial arts bill.

Under HB2562, martial arts would fall under the supervision of the West Virginia Athletic Commission.

Hatfield didn't identify her critic, but took the House floor to say lawmakers are at liberty to speak their minds for and against any issue before them, and at all times regard each other's opinions with respect and dignity.

"We don't call people names," Hatfield, D-Kanawha, said.

"We don't rub it in their nose. And we respect each other even though we disagree on a lot of things. I hope you give me this respect."

The bill, sponsored chiefly by House Government Organization Chairman Jim Morgan, D-Cabell, also would reconstitute the athletic commission, as of July 1 to a five-member board, appointed by the governor with the Senate's consent.

Hatfield was miffed over an e-mail that made the rounds after a supporter of the bill paid her office a visit, she explained afterward.

"A bully tries to intimidate you," she said.

"A bully tries to pick you out and quotes things you didn't say."

An e-mail can include statistics that say what its creator wants it to say, she said.

"This e-mail is freedom of speech and you can say it again and again," Hatfield said.

"This doesn't bother me. This is beneath us. When this person comes into your office and throws around statistics, or whatever, and you disagree with him, he's going to e-mail things about you."

Without elaborating, the veteran legislator said things were taken out of context.

"He's going to try to discredit you with your other colleagues," she said.

"There is no place in schools for bullying. And there's no place in this House for a bully. So, when he comes to your office and you disagree with him, then you're going to get an e-mail about being an ostrich and running from him."

Hatfield said the label doesn't apply to her and she has no intention of running from anyone.

Another e-mail is likely to start circulating, saying Hatfield no longer will talk to him and she won't let him in her office, the delegate said.

"You can take that to the bank," she said.

"That's the truth."

No one mentioned it, but a typo in the draft of HB2562 misspelled "martial" arts so that it read "marital" arts.
    I make that typo all the time...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips