Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Biu Sau

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    And exactly what position/angle is the arm held when it's thrown...?

and the hand....? Is the position/angle the same as the arm?

and the fingers....? Are they held facing the same way as the arm?

and in what relation to the centerline is the hand/arm when it starts...?

and when it ends?
    Keeping it simple. The stabilizing hand is in the center line and the biu jee is on the central line. It's all relative to the position and the desired point and the "now" during
    the chaos of a fight.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

"The stabilizing hand is in the center line and the biu jee is on the central line. "

***TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS...

1) So the bil jee fingers are facing the target at a 45 degree angle (diagonally) from the central line at the beginning of the move?

2) What angle (0 degrees, 30 degrees, 45 degrees, etc.) is the forearm being held at in the beginning of the move?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 12-18-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Videos of Bending?

Hi Phil,

I just wanted to see a picture or video of bending the angle of a finger strike at the moment of impact. I never really concentrated on finger work but am curious about this. Is there anything you can show or refer me to?

Thanx,

AndrewP

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    Hi Phil,

I just wanted to see a picture or video of bending the angle of a finger strike at the moment of impact. I never really concentrated on finger work but am curious about this. Is there anything you can show or refer me to?

Thanx,

AndrewP
    Here is a clip of Sifu Blaine Collins breaking a board with his fingers. In his first attempt the guys didn't hold the board tightly enough so you will see the blood on the board from his finger tips from his previous try.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuWsAA3AsjY
    I can make a clip of the other angles for you if you'd like.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Phil,

First of all, thank you for answering my post.

2nd It seems from the video that he is not striking directly with the fingertips but on the sides of the fingertips.

3rd If it isn't a bother I would love to see other angles in pics/vids.

4th The video looked painful to see. I'm allergic to pain.

5th My sifu is able to do it staight on and he never recommends it to his students unless your sure to get into the eyes.

6th My sifu recommended for those who don't train hard with finger conditioning that it's used as an eye poke with slightly bent fingers. He says he's knocked a few people out with that kind of strike

7th Also, when out of reach of a back fist or other odd angle then fishtail the fingers in the eyes and/or nose in order to stop the opponent for a moment to face another opponent or run away.

8th Why poke when punching or palming is much easier and needs a lot less training to get some results.

Please respond.

Thanks!

AndrewP
    Last edited by AndrewP; 12-26-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Seems that I remember from William Cheung's very first book....the one on the "Deadly Art of Thrusting Fingers"....that he showed a diagonally angled Bil Gee multiple times in his application pictures. Every time he was striking to the point where the neck meets the shoulder it was a diagonal Bil Gee. I never realized it was supposed to be a secret.
    Aha, seems you got a secondhand book/faulty copy! In the original edition those pages were glued together. It shows how much Vic's biu gee sucks that it's not strong enough to open those pages so he can't see where you're talking about in the book!

I don't use a finger thrust. I don't practice strengthening my fingers. I don't believe it is technically desirable or feasible most of the time to hit so accurately with such a weak weapon in the heat of the moment. So I don't use the finger thrust.

I use biu gee as a thrusting deflection and precursor to setting up a more serious strike.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Hard fingers? Hmmm.

If I was to practice anything as extreme as finger toughening drills, I think I'd also take up the piano or guitar!

All this chat of 'serious' conditioning makes me giggle, as I know a few builders with iron palm who have never even trained in Martial Arts! Toughness just need time to develop.

I tend to agree witht he idea of training other things instead, like accuracy, speed and timing. Hit the pads, and use the wall bags to gradually train the fingers if need be. I've never met anyone yet who could 'spear' the body with their hand...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術