Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chi Sao Platforms

Chi Sao Platforms

Just thought I would throw some ideas out on Chi Sao and see what you guys think. By Chi Sao "platform", I am referring to the basic rolling motion that is the foundation for launching various techniques.

In my experience I have seen and practiced two such platforms. The first I will refer to as "Luk Sao." It is the rolling platform found in Yip Man and Yuen Kay Shan WCK. The other I will refer to as "Poon Sao." It is the rolling platform found in WCK systems from Ku Lo village and other parts of the mainland. Note...the way I am using the terms is not necessarily accurate or consistent amongst all WCK families. I am only using this terminology to make discussing the two forms of Chi Sao easier.

For those unfamiliar with WCK other than from the various Yip Man branches, here is a link to Sifu Gary's website where he has posted several clips of him and his students doing Chi Sao using the Poon Sao platform with Master Fung Keung of Pin Sun WCK.

http://www.shaolinjeeshinwingchun.co...lo_san_lo.html

First, my observation is that the Luk Sao platform is specific to WCK, whereas the Poon Sao platform is more generic and can be found in other southern gung fu styles. I used to work out on occasion with a friend that was a 6th degree black belt in Ed Parker's Kenpo. He had been taught a Kenpo version of Chi Sao that basically used the Poon Sao platform.

My second observation, having trained both versions of Chi Sao, is that not only is the Luk Sao version more specific to WCK and the Poon Sao version more generic...the Luk Sao version is more specialized and the Poon Sao version is more generalized. In other words, the Luk Sao platform tends to be its own "game" apart from more realistic application. There are lots of things taught to make one successful within the confines of Luk Sao that don't really apply if the opponent is not also rolling with the same Bong/Tan/Fook structure. There is a certain amount of "gamesmanship" involved. Chi Sao becomes a whole activity in and of itself apart from self-defense or fighting.

On the other hand, the Poon Sao roll is less "structured" and more just pure sticking as a way to start an exchange from contact. Its essentially just rolling the arms in circles like you are cleaning the glass of a window in front of you. There is less "gamesmanship" because there is less structure (or lack thereof) to exploit. Since it is less specialized, it also seems to me that it is more likely to lead to technique that will transfer more directly over to real application. Since you aren't looking to exploit poor positioning on the part of your opponent/partner as much, it doesn't matter whether your partner is a WCK guy or not. It will allow a WCK guy to cross hands with a Mantis guy, White Crane guy...or in my case...even a Kenpo guy! You can also teach it pretty readily to someone that doesn't do WCK so that you have common ground on which to train things together.

A third observation....the energy in Luk Sao tends to be up and down with forward pressure and a 1, 2 count. The energy in Poon Sao tends to be side to side, softer, and more flowing.

A final observation...having done both, it seems to me likely that the more specialized Luk Sao platform evolved from the generalized Poon Sao platform as more structure was introduced. Its easy to see/feel how the upper arc of the circling motion would become a Bong Sao as the energy shifted from side to side to up and down.

Any comments or further observations are welcome. Has anyone else trained both Chi Sao platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    In other words, the Luk Sao platform tends to be its own "game" apart from more realistic application. There are lots of things taught to make one successful within the confines of Luk Sao that don't really apply if the opponent is not also rolling with the same Bong/Tan/Fook structure.
    Such as?

IMO this denotes misuse and misunderstanding of the drill..

What is one supposed to be learning and developing from the drill that does apply to application and why would one train elements, tactics that don't?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

"There are lots of things taught to make one successful within the confines of Luk Sao that don't really apply if the opponent is not also rolling with the same Bong/Tan/Fook structure."

Love the "dont really apply" - sort of but na, not really

I would fit into the "Luk Sao" version you allude to, being of Ip Man lineage and this statement isnt true for me.

- just like the forms most things contained within the Chi Sao platform have direct application to situations/actions. Those elements that DONT have a DIRECT application have other purposes like developing energy dexterity sensitivity.... I personally dont have much that has little or no use at all, every little bit counts.

So be careful how you box each "platform" in when discussing your "observations" LOL

Also - quick note -

From my POV, i dislike the term Rolling when people refer to Poon Sao.
    (most do, im just different)

My Poon Sao is more like the letter D. One side rolls or has a round element (Bong side) the other holds true on a line of attack (the Fook). and just for your reference....

Luk Sao to me is Basic VT sparring, beginning in Bi Jong with people apart and then one initiates action and closes the gap to attack...a few actions are given by either party - rinse and repeat. Its begins in a non contact situation.

Its all about starting a fight and/or when the contact is lost during a fight, getting it back in the right way.

Its the first step after Chi Sao exercises towards full on sparring.

Everyone has differnt terms, state of VT , but thats what Luk Sao means to me.

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 12-22-2007 at 08:09 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Blog Entries
    Hey Keith,

In my opinion both platforms have equal importance in wing chun.

The luk sao develops the elbow specifically (sinking and rising energies, as well as force projection, while the rolling hands develops the wrist movements and continous fluid energy. The are both tools used to develop wing chun body structure which is similar to peng energy in tai chi. They are tools to develop the proper wing chun bio-mechanics.

Once one has the understanding of structure (needle wrapped cotton idea), any platform will transfer more directly over to real application.

Navin
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 12-22-2007 at 08:52 PM.

YungChun wrote:
    IMO this denotes misuse and misunderstanding of the drill..

--Have you trained the Poon Sao platform?

What is one supposed to be learning and developing from the drill that does apply to application and why would one train elements, tactics that don't?

--How often have you been taught to exploit poor Bong Structure? How often does a non-WCK opponent present a Bong structure in a realistic sparring or fighting situation?

Drew wrote:
    So be careful how you box each "platform" in when discussing your "observations" LOL

---Any observations have to be generalities. I thought I was being careful to not make definitive pronouncements.

Also - quick note -
    From my POV, i dislike the term Rolling when people refer to Poon Sao.
    (most do, im just different)

---That's why I was careful to qualify my definitions and say that the way I was using the terms was not necessarily accurate or consistent amongst all WCK families....like a lot of the terminology in WCK!

Navin wrote:

In my opinion both platforms have equal importance in wing chun.

---I didn't say that one was more important than the other, just that one was more specialized than the other. I use both in my training.

The luk sao develops the elbow specifically (sinking and rising energies, as well as force projection, while the rolling hands develops the wrist movements and continous fluid energy. The are both tools used to develop wing chun body structure which is similar to peng energy in tai chi. They are tools to develop the proper wing chun bio-mechanics.

---I agree! You've obviously trained both platforms. Have you used them to "roll" with non-WCK partners? Have you done training where you go from a light-contact sparring situation to rolling Chi Sao and back again? I find the Poon Sao platform to work better in such a situation.

Woo Fai Ching System

Here is a link to our site explaing in detail or view of the Look Sao Cycle...
    http://www.louisvillewingchun.com/Wi...6/Default.aspx

We use the Look Sao as a platform to build understanding of the Low/High Fook and the Tan/Bong side with proper structure, asking energy and no deviation from the principles. Our Phoon Sao is when we actually throw techniques from the Low or High Fook or the Tan/ Bong side of the Look Sao. However these techniques are thrown they do not deviate from the idea of SLT.
    Once proper structure is ingrained (Look-Sao), then using sensitivity to attack/defend (Phoon-Sao) naturally manifests itself.

~Cg~
    Last edited by Graychuan; 12-23-2007 at 03:45 PM.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Have you trained the Poon Sao platform?
    I don't know.. I thought poon sao was another name for luk sao.. I have seen it used to refer to essentially the same thing..

I searched for poon sao and could only find this.. LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20sRfk4vs8I
    How often have you been taught to exploit poor Bong Structure?
    Not that often...

The way "I was taught" is to look at the drill's positions and conditions from an energy vector (direction) and position/location perspective. Imperfections (errors) of energy that leaves the line, or error of position that make spaces... Following the idea of WCK means that these imperfections in their structure cause imperfections in my own.. I correct this by changing my structure based on the conditions--thus doing a technique.. In fighting the same reference points are in play as are the same energy vectors..

Moves that facilitate *winning the game* with "touch me kill me techniques" that don't train you to take the line and keep the line in order to attack the line are problematic..
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-23-2007 at 04:09 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Yung Chun sez

I don't know.. I thought poon sao was another name for luk sao.. I have seen it used to refer to essentially the same thing..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Problems with words. Many terms in wing chun are used somewhat differently by users
    depending on context, lineage etc...

There are many variations of "chi sao" including luk sao and poon sao. Assuming two handed chi sao...luk can to some be seen as a heavier version of poon for somewhat different purposes
    in training and development.

Although I have seena bit of Pien San, I dont know enough about Pien San or other non Ip man
    styles to comment about their chi sao.

Just pointing out that terms are often defined differently.

BTW best wishes for the season to forum contributors.

joy chaudhuri

Blog Entries
    Great topic Keith!

I tied unsuccessfully to start a thread indentical to this a few years ago, but I didn't get alot of responses. I hope things will be different this time and people from the non- yip man linages will open up and join in as well.

---I agree! You've obviously trained both platforms. Have you used them to "roll" with non-WCK partners? Have you done training where you go from a light-contact sparring situation to rolling Chi Sao and back again? I find the Poon Sao platform to work better in such a situation.
    Yes, I have used it very successfully against a very high rank judo blackbelt as well as against some brazillian jujitsu people and western boxers.
    I totally agree that it work's alot better where you go from a light-contact sparring situation to rolling Chi Sao and back again, I find it's way more effortless than just crashing directly into the opponent's centerline which then becomes a struggle.

---I didn't say that one was more important than the other, just that one was more specialized than the other. I use both in my training.

I wasn't implying that you said one was more important than the other, I was just giving my 2 cent about the two different chi sao platform.

I personally prefer the poon sao platform because of the freedom it allows as well as the fluidity when transitioning from techniquie to technique, but at the same time all the attributes from my years of luk sao training is still in there somewhere. The poon sao just makes everything flow and blend or mesh together better, so that one can transition effortlessly from luk sao to poon sao.

Happy holidays
    Navin
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 12-23-2007 at 06:09 PM.

YungChun wrote:

---Guys! This was not meant to be a thread about terminology differences! I pointed out from the very beginning that the way I was using the terminology was for the convenience of the discussion to distinguish between the two rolling platforms. I also provided a link to short videos provided by Sifu Garry to illustrate what I was referring to as the "Poon Sao platform."

Navin wrote:
    I wasn't implying that you said one was more important than the other, I was just giving my 2 cent about the two different chi sao platform.

---Ok! No worries!

I personally prefer the poon sao platform because of the freedom it allows as well as the fluidity when transitioning from techniquie to technique, but at the same time all the attributes from my years of luk sao training is still in there somewhere. The poon sao just makes everything flow and blend together better, so that one can transition effortlessly from luk sao to poon sao.

---I agree! Having done the Luk Sao platform for many years before learning the Poon Sao platform my experience has been the same. I have also seen footage of Fung Keung Chi Sao-ing and throwing in the Luk Sao roll on occasion. Since it isn't native to Ku Lo WCK, I'm sure he's picked it up from other WCK friends and finds it easy enough to incorporate into what he does.

---Guys! This was not meant to be a thread about terminology differences! I pointed out from the very beginning that the way I was using the terminology was for the convenience of the discussion to distinguish between the two rolling platforms. I also provided a link to short videos provided by Sifu Garry to illustrate what I was referring to as the "Poon Sao platform."
    Well excuse me, but I am trying to understand what the hell you are talking about and all I have to go on is your terms/words..

Care to point out the particular clips of poon sao on the PAGE you linked to (are they all poon sao?) or what your understanding of the purpose/method of PS that differentiates itself from luk sao..
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-23-2007 at 06:26 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

If this is poon sao:
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=h23EMqI7lc0
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TknogplcNLA

Then it's outside my understanding of what WCK is.
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-24-2007 at 06:36 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

YungChun wrote:
    Well excuse me, but I am trying to understand what the hell you are talking about and all I have to go on is your terms/words.. Care to point out the particular clips of poon sao on the PAGE you linked to (are they all poon sao?)

---My apologies YungChun. I guess I depended upon common sense more than I should have! Seems to me that based on my prior description, one would quickly conclude that this is what I was talking about. But maybe I'm wrong!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yx49HL...eature=related

or what your understanding of the purpose/method of PS that differentiates itself from luk sao..

---That is precisely how I started this thread! Might I suggest you go back and read my initial post?
    Last edited by KPM; 12-24-2007 at 07:20 AM.

My apologies YungChun. I guess I depended upon common sense more than I should have! Seems to me that based on my prior description, one would quickly conclude that this is what I was talking about. But maybe I'm wrong!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yx49HL...eature=related
    Sorry I may be short on common sense.. I saw a page with lots of stuff..

Yes, I did see this clip as well.. IMO it is operating outside of what I understand WCK to be...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Sorry I may be short on common sense.. I saw a page with lots of stuff..

---No problem!

Yes, I did see this clip as well.. IMO it is operating outside of what I understand WCK to be...

---It may be operating outside of what Yip Man WCK is typically understood to be. But as I pointed out before, IMHO it likely predated the Luk Sao (Yip Man/Yuen Kay Shan) style rolling and lead up to its development. It is found within several different mainland lineages, and even some other southern chineses martial arts. I'm not trying to sound condesending here.....but could it be that it is outside of what you understand WCK to be precisely because the Luk Sao roll you are familiar with is "specialized" whereas the Poon Sao roll is more "generalized" as I explained before?