Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron chopsticks (Tie't Kuai Zi) kung fu magazine article.

Iron chopsticks (Tie't Kuai Zi) kung fu magazine article.

Someone mentioned to me in the latest article of kung fu magazine there is a article by a man called, Dr Johnny Jang. I am not familiar with this name and I do know that there is not a lot of people practicing this art, so I would like to know who he is affiliated to?

If there as anyone who could give me some information regarding him or his teachers, etc, I would be much appreciated.

It is always nice to find someone who practices the same art.

JB.

I believe he is part of the O Mei Kung fu group is he not? If it is the article I just saw, and the same guy I am thinking of (either of which could be 100% off BTW). Tony Chen I think might be with them somehow, no!?!
    Sorry I cannot help more,
    Jake

PS Interesting article though. Would have like to have seen more apps and fighting, then just form. But heh........interesting article on a rare subject. Anyone have anymore on the use of the chopsticks/tie ci = Iron Needles in Xing Yi?
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    I believe he is part of the O Mei Kung fu group is he not? If it is the article I just saw, and the same guy I am thinking of (either of which could be 100% off BTW). Tony Chen I think might be with them somehow, no!?!
    Sorry I cannot help more,
    Jake

PS Interesting article though. Would have like to have seen more apps and fighting, then just form. But heh........interesting article on a rare subject. Anyone have anymore on the use of the chopsticks/tie ci = Iron Needles in Xing Yi?
    Ask Doug Maverick, he said he comes fro Wang Jiwu line, they have Tie't Kuai Zi in their curriculum.

JB.

P.S, in the Dai iron chop sticks form, all it is, is Za Shi performed with the chop sticks, nothing that special.

i never learned the iron needles form but yes they are in wang ji wu's line. i mean their are alot of obvious aps within the form. but some tricky ones as well.

Dr. Johnny Jang

Dr. Jang has written for us a lot, mostly on xingyi, but he's also done some articles on hung gar. You'll find several of his articles in our archive. He also does taiji, bagua, aikibudo and wing chun. He's actually my double shixiong. Jang started with Sifu Wing Lam back before I was with Wing Lam; we never crossed paths there. He goes to China often, mostly Hong Kong and Guangdong, and studied there under numerous masters. He has also won a few national internal titles and trained a few internal champions; most recently, Ben Tang and James Israel were training under him. He used to teach at the San Leandro O-Mei Academy and is good friends with Tony Chen. However the San Leandro school closed a few months ago and the Milpitas location was too far away for Dr. Jang's regular commute (even though he has a cherry red Porsche with CA plates that read 'tai chi'). The last time I heard from Dr. Jang, he was going to start his classes up again at U.S.A Kung Fu Studio with Sam Deng in Alameda.

As for the apps of the Iron Chopstick form, I've seen him teach it and the apps are mostly just xingyi with pointy things in your hands. He had a few 'kubuton'-like qinna moves, but mostly, it played out like xingyi. You just changed your hand so that instead of striking with your fist, you did it with your chopstick.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

pointy things rock.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Funny you should mention that...

One of Dr. Jang's students is in auto repair (he had a notorious appearance in our mag). He has access to all kinds of machinist friends, and they set to the task of making some intense steel chopsticks - just for fun, mind you. Jang used Korean metal chopsticks for the article (and for his practice) but those are light and skinny. He wanted something more formidable, like the big fat chopsticks you see at restaurants, only made of metal. So the two of them collaborated on it. I don't know if they're still working on those or if they finally reached their ultimate design.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I believe restaurant supply is where I saw some metal chopsticks made out of steel. Found that kind of funny because wouldn't heat travel up the metal and burn the cooks hands?

Definetly make them pointy. While its a nice trick to drive chopsticks into a wooden board its a whole different matter when trying that on flexible flesh.

Gene I really like the inclusion of forms once in awhile. Really makes the issue more collectable, IMO.

What's next?

So Omei is kind of like a Jing Wu like set up whre they have instructors from different styles come to teach programs?

I had thought they were just importing omei practitoners like the shaolin guys imported monks.

Thanks for the props on the forms, ngokfei

Forms can be a real hassle to lay out, but I like them too. The trick is finding a form that is short and simple enough to print. What I like about chopstick forms is that you could use pencils. It's basically changing xingyi fists to pointy things - a simple change for a xingyi practitioner - which is why I think this form works quite well in print.

There are definitely metal chopsticks available. The Koreans love them, but like I said, they tend to be skinny. I remember having a hilarious debate between some of our Chinese employees and Korean employees on the practicality of skinny metal Korean chopsticks. There are so many kinds of chopsticks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2014

A little OT but amusing none the less. There's a vid if you follow the link. I couldn't get it to embed here.

Baidu announces launch of 'smart chopsticks' that test food safety

At its annual technology conference yesterday, Baidu announced the launch of "smart chopsticks" (called Kuaisou in Chinese) that the company claims can detect contamination in food, media reports said.

"The conceptual product 'smart chopsticks' we mentioned in April has come into production. The product can detect oils and the origin of food, which is a new way to sense the world," Baidu CEO Robin Li said at the conference.

The Wall Street Journal has more:

According to Baidu, the product measure the freshness of cooking oil. The chopsticks also will be able to measure PH levels and temperature and calories.

A price tag for the chopsticks hasn’t yet been announced, and the company said the product isn’t yet ready for mass production.

Watch a video to see how the product works:

By Lucy Liu
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

slightly OT

Chopsticks get jammed into boy's throat during scooter accident

You'll never wanna eat your food on the go again after seeing what happened to this kid in Hubei. The 12-year-old boy actually had a pair of steel chopsticks lodged into his throat as he was walking and eating some lunch.

The boy had just purchased the food and was walking back to school when he was hit by a woman on a scooter who was on her way to deliver some lunch to her own son. As the boy fell to the ground, the chopsticks pierced through his neck and became jammed into his throat.

Doctors were able to safely remove the chopsticks without harming the boy, a fortunate outcome considering the seemingly innocuous utensils can straight up kill a man.

They really can penetrate the throat, just like in the movies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2015

A little OT. There's a vid if you follow the link. I couldn't get it to embed here.

I guess chopstick injuries are 'a thing' in China.

Toddler trips and gets a 2 ½ inch piece of a chopstick lodged in his brain
    The one year old was playing with a chopstick when he fell and jammed it up his nose and into his brain.
    2015/03/06

A baby boy in Liaoning nicknamed Hang Hang suffered a terrible accident after he grabbed a chopstick and attempted to dash away with his prize.

Unfortunately, Hang Hang tripped and fell, stabbing himself up the nose with the chopstick.

His horrified parents removed the chopstick from his nose and rushed him to hospital. The doctor did a visual check of the 20 month old baby and told his parents they could take Hang Hang home.

However, a few days later Hang Hang began to run a fever and started vomiting. His parents took him back to the hospital where a pediatric surgeon performed a minorly invasive surgery to remove yellow pus oozing from the baby’s nose.

Hang Hang seemed to get better but then relapsed into a mild coma.

The doctors asked Hang Hang’s parents about the accident and if they’d removed the chopstick and they said they did. Hang Hang’s father had been so upset by the incident that he’d broken and thrown all the chopsticks in the house away.

Doctors then realized that part of the chopstick had broken off inside the baby’s brain. Hang Hang had an X-ray and they found something lodged inside his head.

Doctors then removed a two and a half inch long piece of the broken chopstick from Hang Hang’s brain during surgery.

Hang Hang is now recovering and he has woken up from his coma, but his parents and doctors won’t know the extent of the damage until he is older.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Stumbled on this searching for something completely different

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The 100th KFM issue!

The issue that features the chopsticks form is the January/February 2008 (the 100th issue). The masters' name is Dr. Johnny Jang, he also wrote an article on the chicken form of hsing-i ! (rooster actually) that is quite enjoyable Both collectors' items in my opinion. Good Luck

I'm embarrassed that I never made a hyperlink to that article

Xingyi Iron Chopsticks By Dr. Johnny Jang, JAN+FEB 2008
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips