Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Forearm Conditioning do You Use?

What kind of Forearm Conditioning do You Use?

Hello, I am a long time reader, but a first time poster. This is an awesome tool to exchange information. As a southern practitioner, forearm conditioning is very important. I was curious as to what trainings are out there for arm conditioning.

Currently, I do 4 main exercises:

12 star with a partner

An open and closing of the hand drill with the wrists at 90 degree angle - do this for a specific number of sets, for a specific time, ie, 3 sets for 1 min.

Another open hand set forming the tiger mouth with wrists at 90 degrees rotating the hands at the wrists - (like twisting a doorknob)

open hand set involving 5 different exercises with the hand in the tiger mouth position, wrists straight.
    1st - one hand moves from the waist opposite side to the same side shoulder, other hand starts at waist level moving to shoulder hieght, keeping arm straight. Do both arms.
    2nd - much like the first, but the straight up and down arm is doing a curl to the same side. Repeat for other side.
    3rd - in the bow stance, both hands about chest width apart bringing the hands in and out running parellel to the ground.
    4th - same as the 3rd, but moving hands from a knee level to chest level instead of an even line.
    5th - bringing arms outstretched up at the sides of the body, when hands reach head height, pressing the arms together like a chest fly exercise, then pushing the hands down to the dan tien level. Relaxing the hands until repeating the exercise again.
    What one should do is pick a specific number of repetitions and do all exercises one after the other with the hands and forearms under tension.

Please share what you do. I am looking forward to the diversity of trainings in the martial arts world.

I bang my arms against a metal post, just for ****s and giggles.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I use a Iron Broom to tap the arms and shins.
    Sam Sing exercises with a partner.
    Bridework with partners in the form of drills.
    If I'm solo I palm strike arms just above the wrist area in a grinding fashion. Using both sides of the arm.
    Also banging any wood or metal post that is available. Trees and such.

Make sure you have some good Jow.

Quote Originally Posted by roaring fist View Post
    Please share what you do. I am looking forward to the diversity of trainings in the martial arts world.

Snake Turns Over or "arm grabs" (see the vid).

http://www.noweightsworkout.com/exercises/armgrabs.php

I have a tree in spitting distance of my back door that I use when conditions are favorable. For inside use I have a doorway that I use
    Last edited by Snake77; 12-27-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: incomplete
    1 Sam. 16:7

Back in the day I used to do the "Iron Forearm" part of Wing Lam's Iron Body program.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I am a big fan of the exercise that Iron Weasel mentioned, 40 reps, added to that are two other iron arm type excersises 40 reps each then 30 tiger like push ups. Followed by a set of 4 types of vigorous arm and shoulder whipping excercises
    40 each arm. Then beating the arms with a heavy braded copper whisk or 3 star
    on a nice tree about 7 inches in diameter. After that any number of two person
    bridging drills. All of these should be done daily, no missing if you can help it.

Thats been my approach for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahRC295Z_E

Mike Biggie
    Akron Kung Fu Academy
    1155 Canton Rd
    Akron Ohio 44312

I don't use conditioner in my hair. I keep it short most of the time. A good quality shampoo usually keeps my jet black hair full and shiny.....uh...what's this thread about?

Ooooh man am I embarassed. Never mind.

Bob
    From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by Piercinghammer View Post
    I am a big fan of the exercise that Iron Weasel mentioned, 40 reps, added to that are two other iron arm type excersises 40 reps each then 30 tiger like push ups. Followed by a set of 4 types of vigorous arm and shoulder whipping excercises
    40 each arm. Then beating the arms with a heavy braded copper whisk or 3 star
    on a nice tree about 7 inches in diameter. After that any number of two person
    bridging drills. All of these should be done daily, no missing if you can help it.

Thats been my approach for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahRC295Z_E

Mike Biggie
    Akron Kung Fu Academy
    1155 Canton Rd
    Akron Ohio 44312
    You should invest in a belly pad and thigh guards, will help take the pad work to the next level.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Snake Turns Over or "arm grabs" (see the vid).

http://www.noweightsworkout.com/exercises/armgrabs.php
    Interesting. Just tried that with a 5 kg plate (and without of course). Good stuff. What's it from? I've learnt something similar in chi kung (based on yang style tai chi) and in wing chun (well in wing chun you're just taught to do the first section of sil lum tao really really slowly and to extremes with the circular movements).

BTW, nobody seems to have noticed that the OP is talking about strength conditioning for the forearms and a lot of people have started on about toughness conditioning (arm banging etc)... oh well.

For other strength conditioning exercises I do good ol' forearm curls and forearm raises. Also as mentioned the first part of SLT, and also from wing chun the pole exercises are killers, but you need a pole! I don't have one, but I've found wrapping a 1 kg wrist weight on the end of my 1 kg suburi bokuto does the same kind of trick... one of the exercises is like a kenjutsu/do sword-wringing exercise, another is a figure 7 (Western!) flicking out the staff.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You should invest in a belly pad and thigh guards, will help take the pad work to the next level.
    Yeah and try going into the next hit in the combo without stopping.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I do three star training against a tree if i don't have a partner and i also do forearm grinding with bamboo stick with /without a partner and a good bottle of Dit da jow.

Do any of you guys ever try stuff like this?

Forearm Training 101

Let me know if you guys do stuff like this or if you try it from watching the video. I'd like to know how it works out for you.

Peace

Ahhh, the Nosy-Hammer exercise, I used to do that, and then got lazy. I still love my Ivanko Super Gripper, though.

For inner edge conditioning of the forearm I really like the *roller bar. Galvanized pipe, wrapped in electric tape, filled with lead, and capped on both ends. At 44lbs I need to make a heavier one, but rolling from the bicep to the thumb is a great way to go. Anything up to 100 reps is good. You will need good 'jow. *Use at your own risk!
    The clouded mind, sees nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Do any of you guys ever try stuff like this?

Forearm Training 101

Let me know if you guys do stuff like this or if you try it from watching the video. I'd like to know how it works out for you.

Peace
    Actually i just saw that the other day looking for some new Forearm workouts,YES thats really an intense exercises.Thank for sharing that.