Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of Forearm Conditioning do You Use?

At home i Bang my arms against metal posts at training we have body conditioning (we hit and kick each other)

I bang my arms with a rattan pole, works pretty good. Also in the past I have used similiar sledge hammer type methods.

I never had a sledge hammer so I used a bat and simply added 4L milk jugs filled with water for weight using the same exercises. This works great for building wrist strength.
    Khuen wai kung zi phoon, kung wai khuen zi phoor

Quote Originally Posted by BUK SING View Post
    At home i Bang my arms against metal posts at training we have body conditioning (we hit and kick each other)
    Bagua has a standard 4-star striking training that's done in the bagua way with turning/twisting. For more info you'll have to buy the training DVD, but it's so secret I'll never publish one. LOL

Wrist roller with weights. Hammer curls. Reverse curls.

Ivanko supper gripper, Captains of Crush #2, wrist roller, Levering and Forearm Blaster.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Conditioning I tend to think of solely that area which means beating or massage. But if it's the thing where you use your shouders to benefit your forearms...

Moving the arms:

Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu, Squirrel's Insect Cleans It's Pincers-- a bug on a towel on a bench near a pool some Summers ago. 90° at the elbows. forearms parallel to the ground. Raise elbows 90°. Rotate arms inward. Palm over elbow. Back of other hand under elbow. Elbows back 90°(shoulder height at the sides). Drop elbows 90° (to ribs). Raise elbows 90°. Drop elbows passed back. Raise elbows, fingertips up, straighten elbows. Drop elbows passed back. Raise elbows shoulder height...do all again in order alternating the side that has the palm over the elbow.

Hitting the arms:

Erniw Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu Squirrel's Wall Work (Kung): Five Forearms-- assume a Tall Squirrel stance (Knees over toes, back behind waist, waist over feet, upper back back and up~). With or without a wall...Movement from stomach region, shoulders even and level, grab yourself at stomach level(use the local muscles),forearm out hitting solar plexus level, of you,

Fingers straight and down

Fingers straight and up

Fingers straight and left

Fingers straight and right

Hand pulled back over the head-slanted roof (up)

Initially done with the outter forearm but should incorporate individual sessions of forearm edge and then also forearm underside.

No_Know, Basically some-such perhaps
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

We do a nearly year long daily regime of 3 star on progressively harder hanging materials, sand to logs from 15 min. to an hour. You can't miss a day with out having to start over. And there are specific rules like no eating or dinking for an hour before or after. It is very time consuming. There is also the liberal use of Jow and exercises for chi circulation.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

SanHeChuan,

Doing it for 15 mins to one hour seems too much time spent. Also, doing it on a daily basis is unneccessary. Look, missing a day training of such forearm conditiong is not going to make any difference. I train now for 10 mins once weekly. Even in the early stage, I would suggest training on every other day as a maximum in frequency. Any how more frequent than that is a waste of effort.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

I don't make the rules, that's just how it is in my school.

And when it progresses to one hour a day, it's in two intervals of 30 mins each, 12hours apart. So, it ends up being every day twice a day, for like two months.

Once you complete the program up-keep is suppose to be minimal.

Personal I think my forearms, while not heroic, are fairly well conditioned without this regime.

There are a lot of things about Chinese methodology/thought/medicine that don't make a lot of sense to me, but what are you going to do.

I have heard that if you do the hung 5 sounds form wrong, you will develop internal bleeding after years of poor training. Doesn't make sense to me...
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

SanHeChuan,

Personal I think my forearms, while not heroic, are fairly well conditioned without this regime.
    That's good for you. Are you doing other exercises that will condition your forearms well, say labour work?

There are a lot of things about Chinese methodology/thought/medicine that don't make a lot of sense to me, but what are you going to do.
    A while ago I watched a TV documentary show named something like "Martial Art Science". In the show, it talks about such body parts conditioning too. Well, the Chinese methodology does not usually tell why the exercise will strengthen our body parts. However, modern sports science does. The TV show says that hitting the bone in such way will make it stronger. Bone density scanning indicates the bone gets denser with such conditioning. I love modern sports science!

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

We also can't forget hard contact sparring.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The TV show says that hitting the bone in such way will make it stronger. Bone density scanning indicates the bone gets denser with such conditioning. I love modern sports science!
    This I do understand, it's call wolff's Law.

That's good for you. Are you doing other exercises that will condition your forearms well, say labour work?
    I don't do any regular conditions now. Years ago I would irregularly do three star against a metal column that was in the school I was at then. I did about two months of daily three star against a hanging sand bag, before life got the best of me, 6 months ago. I've gotten a few comments about the hardness of my forearms and I haven't yet noticed a difference with those who have completed the 8 month program.
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

The best exercises for the hands, grip, and forearms that I have done are wing chun Iron bar drills, tan sao drills, chi sao, forearm roller, weighted jar pinch work, and working with kettlebells and clubbells.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

To further supplement to my post in other forum on the said topic, the iron arm work is catergorised as a hard gi kung because there is another dimension in it. I agree with what others have said that the muscles act as a pad to protect our forearm. The muscle tension with breathing technique help to enable us to tense our muscles to iron hard.

So the bottom line is that even with good forearm conditioning, one could easily injure his forearm without tensing the muscles at the moment of hit. That is also why I would regard the iron arm work as a defense work. If one uses it for attack purpose, one could increase the chance of receiving injury.

Disclaimer: The above knowledge is obtained through self-realization during training the iron arm work by myself alone.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 02-13-2008 at 12:03 AM.

When training Iron arm, we consciously relax our muscles.

And I think I'm starting to notice a deference between myself and a training partner who has finished Iron arm at my school.
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE