Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Kung Fu Myths

Favorite Kung Fu Myths

This is probably opening a can of worms, but what is your favorite kung fu myth?

* existence of a "death touch"
    * one-punch kill
    * real kung fu masters can manipulate their chi to cure cancer
    * your Sifu is the Deadliest Man Alive
    * push hands can lead to devastating sparring ability
    * a year of kung fu will allow you to disarm knife-wielding psychos and multiple attackers
    * your gi-wearing sensei learned his art directly from the Shaolin Temple
    * the Shaolin Temple is the source of all martial arts in China and the World
    * MMA people are the Best Fighters In The World
    * Bruce Lee would have beaten Muhammad Ali in a boxing match
    * Size, Strength, Age, and Gender mean nothing if you have the right skills
    * your art is superior to every other art ever created

Etc. Each myth has its origins in truth, but we tend to exaggerate a truism to the point of non-credulity. To avoid the flames, I didn't mention any specific styles or names, but if you are wincing a little, perhaps there is a sacred cow in your yard that you need to poke.

I still believe I will eventually be able to throw a fireball at my enemy, whose only recourse will be to either block it or jump over it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

the idea that internal alchemy is aspect to fighting arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That one can become a warrior without being bruised, battered, beaten... without combat experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Yong Chun View Post

Hey....c'mon now. Charles Mattera of USSD learned his art directly from Shoalin. He wears a gi. He has pictures and everything. And apparently a big a$$ stone erected in his honor.

I'm telling USSD on you.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    That one can become a warrior without being bruised, battered, beaten... without combat experience.
    My Sifu elbowed me in the head last week and I still look like a F*ckin unicorn, lol
    (not really but I did have a big ass knot on my fore head)
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

That being adept at martial arts somehow sets you above other people in any way.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    you can definately learn self-defense without contact.

http://www.barrettrifles.com/optics_bors.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    That being adept at martial arts somehow sets you above other people in any way.

It does. I love knowing that I can kill all of my neighbors with my bare hands...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Meditation

When I meditate, I can see a little red bar that says Hit Points...and a blue one for my opponent.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

All serious martial artists are noble stuck ups who don’t know how to have fun in the real life.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Thumbs up

http://emptyflower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=653

1. A sparrow may not fly off the palm of Yang Lu Chan. (yielding aspect of Tai Chi).

2. Guo Yun Shen practice half step Beng Quan with shackles on in jail. (Xing Yi)

3. Dong Hai Chuan moved about among tables and people at birthday party and nobody might catch him. (walking and avoiding stepping in Ba Gua).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    THAT is a good one... There was a certain comfort in knowing that you can beat any man in the room that only fades when you wake up and realize that what you do, while valuable and worthwhile, is not curing cancer.

Thumbs up

This is probably opening a can of worms, but what is your favorite kung fu myth?

* one-punch kill
    * a year of kung fu will allow you to disarm knife-wielding psychos and multiple attackers

Etc. Each myth has its origins in truth, but we tend to exaggerate a truism to the point of non-credulity. To avoid the flames, I didn't mention any specific styles or names, but if you are wincing a little, perhaps there is a sacred cow in your yard that you need to poke.

when we look at the stars at nite.

we are always looking for the brightest star. just when you found one the brightest and you also found another one is even brighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpZgTpM4qM

there is always another higher mountain and another deeper pond.

there is always someone out there is better than us, no matter how good we are.

--

* one-punch kill

Myths?
    perhaps the wrong word, exagerrations that have taken on a life of their own more likely.
    Death touch was never a "touch" (unless it was a touch that followed a steel pipe across the temple)
    One punch kills are a fact, as a "coup-de-grace.
    Real kung fu masters can't manipulate chi to cure cancer, but they can make some people believe anything.
    Sifu may not be the deadliest man on the planet, but he will probably be the deadliest you will ever know.
    Push hands is what you train it to be
    A year of kung fu MAY will allow THE VERY GIFTED to handle untrained people easily.
    A gi wearing sensei is just that, a gi wearing sensei.
    what the Shoalin temple WAS is irrelevant today, period.
    MMA people are the best ALL AROUND fighters in the SPORT world.
    Bruce Lee was a lousy boxer be all accounts and Ali would have beaten him like a red headed step child, BUT, the probably would have been great friends.
    Size, Strength, age and gender matter as much and as little as everything else.
    I don't know about your Art, but the guy I know named Art is one bad ass mofu !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !