Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Master Jerry Cook

Master Jerry Cook

Anyone have any opinions on this guy?

Yes.

Bought a VHS in San Jose - 'Jerry Cook - Fukien White Crane'

What I got was an awful version of Hung Gar's Tiger & crane set, devoid of any of the Hung Ga 'flavor.' i.e. body methods and power.

If this is representative of what he teaches, it is best to be avoided.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I met him in Phoenix a few years ago when I was with some members of the Beijing Wushu Team. His lineage wasn't that deep and many of his Hung Gar logos were some American name..like Smith Family Style Hung Gar or something. He's kind of close to Li Jingheng, so he likely has some contemporary training.

Skill wise he's not bad and is definitely a forms collector and freely admits it.

I have about a 6 hour video he gave me and his teaching methods aren't half bad.

I'm still a bit undecided about him, but then again I am big on lineage.

My brother (of the same mother) trained under him in AZ---I've seen my brother perform "forms" that looked pretty good-----Looked like alot of Fu Jow

I can see how you think it was Hungar. It is from the Hung family. It's not all powerful low stances, but contains the five elements and the five animals for use in Chinese medicine as the creator Wong Feihung was a traditional chinese medicine doctor. The exercises correlate to a yin and yang organs. If you look at youtube, it will give you the names, the exercises, the organs, and it's a treasure of Chinese kungfu that I wanted to share with my martial art brothers. I think traditional Hungar people may appreciate this variation. I collect 108 technique forms from Shaolin/Wudang styles, and this is one of them.

I'll post the applications and combat methods later.

Regards -- Jerry Cook

I've seen stuff way worse than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqxDbwiKGik

right here in this forum.

I've seen worse stuff coming out of mainland china and hong kong too.

but, if you're a lineage tart and everything HAS to be Chinese to be real, then, well, whatever floats your boat I guess.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I wouldn't describe myself as a complete lineage *****, but I'd rather not pay someone for something they learned from a book, which that 2 man sword routine obviously was (hint: the blades aren't supposed to touch).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZiRZ...eature=related

I don't know much about chinese sword work, but his Japanese sword work is utter crap, according to this video clip anyways.

First off, you always hold the Tsuba, always, Second the sword is loose inside the scabbard to faciliate the Batto technique ( simultaneous draw and cut) of the sword, no sword was ever "tight" in the scabbard.
    The "chinna" moves he did to protect the sword were impractical and that is being kind.
    The rest was just painful, plain painful.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZiRZ...eature=related

I don't know much about chinese sword work, but his Japanese sword work is utter crap, according to this video clip anyways.

First off, you always hold the Tsuba, always, Second the sword is loose inside the scabbard to faciliate the Batto technique ( simultaneous draw and cut) of the sword, no sword was ever "tight" in the scabbard.
    The "chinna" moves he did to protect the sword were impractical and that is being kind.
    The rest was just painful, plain painful.
    wait i didnt see the vid. but are you telling me he had his saya fit to the exact size of his blade.....i guess he never heard of iaido...

oh btw SJ, im upset with you on your work on that thread.

read my reply here http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...t=49792&page=3
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    wait i didnt see the vid. but are you telling me he had his saya fit to the exact size of his blade.....i guess he never heard of iaido...

oh btw SJ, im upset with you on your work on that thread.

read my reply here http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...t=49792&page=3
    I have no idea what he did in regards to the saya, by the looks on the video he has that oversized "Musashi" Katana so I woudl assume its a "production line" Saya.

Dude, that sickness thread is warped.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cook View Post
    I can see how you think it was Hungar. It is from the Hung family. It's not all powerful low stances, but contains the five elements and the five animals for use in Chinese medicine as the creator Wong Feihung was a traditional chinese medicine doctor. The exercises correlate to a yin and yang organs. If you look at youtube, it will give you the names, the exercises, the organs, and it's a treasure of Chinese kungfu that I wanted to share with my martial art brothers. I think traditional Hungar people may appreciate this variation. I collect 108 technique forms from Shaolin/Wudang styles, and this is one of them.

I'll post the applications and combat methods later.

Regards -- Jerry Cook
    Well, it wasn't Fukien White Crane - that is for certain (speaking about the tape I purchased.) And the gross choreography closely matched the hunga Fu kok. I can't speak to anything else - other than it resembled how the kenpo guys do that stuff.

Actually, I'd like a refund. It was kind of a bait and switch.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I didn't like the youtube clips I saw. Let's just leave it at that.

I only watched a couple clips. What i saw i didn't think was that bad. I agree
    with Jamieson, it was better than alot of stuff i see i posted by others. I only
    watched the 5 animal/5 element clip and the 4 swords demonstration. I thought
    his gim work was decent. Just my opinion.

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffoo View Post
    I am big on lineage.
    Why is this so important? I understand the basic reasons why, there must be more to it.
    Just because someone comes form a strong lineage does not mean anything when it comes to teaching, practicing and using the arts.