Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Master Jerry Cook

People use the word lineage to showcase off some sort of absurd purity when in the actual world, most if not all of these so-called pure styles are "broken mirror" systems.

Some think they can establish fighting credibility by claiming a specific lineage, to inherit some of their teachers reputation, whatever the hell fighting credibility even means in the non-larping, nine to five real world outside of the kwoon.

I wonder if people really think that the group of muggers or the college serial rapist actually gives a crap that some so-called great master actually beget's other great masters, and that this is some clear elucidation of their victims survival.

It's not about purity, its about skill progression and commonsense, seek out and learn from those that do it best, and yes often direct access is the best way, but only if you are honest about what you are really after.

The idea of lineage is attached to the idea of standards. In theory, if you trained with a good teacher you learned good stuff and he held you to a high standard.

If you have a purple belt from a legit BJJ instructor, chances are you've got skills. Though, like all other things, this is beginning to change..... In fact, it used to be that "blue belt" was like an old "black belt", ie that you had done about 2 plus years and had the basics down and were proficient. Now, there are a lot of "schemes" that mean blue belt is often less than it was in the past.

Ultimately, it is the person. Or, as Royce Gracie says, the belt only covers 2 inches of your butt, you've got to cover the rest
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    The idea of lineage is attached to the idea of standards. In theory, if you trained with a good teacher you learned good stuff and he held you to a high standard.

If you have a purple belt from a legit BJJ instructor, chances are you've got skills. Though, like all other things, this is beginning to change..... In fact, it used to be that "blue belt" was like an old "black belt", ie that you had done about 2 plus years and had the basics down and were proficient. Now, there are a lot of "schemes" that mean blue belt is often less than it was in the past.

Ultimately, it is the person. Or, as Royce Gracie says, the belt only covers 2 inches of your butt, you've got to cover the rest
    When I trained MMA with Fabiano, I did because he was the highest ranked BJJ guy in the area AND he and his bro kicked my sorry ass.
    If they hadn't I wouldn't have trained there.
    His lineage and even his belt were the reason I checked him out, yes, but it was his skill that convinced me.
    We never once mentioned his lineage nor did they ever bring it up either.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Jerry Cook?

Based on what I've seen, I'll cast my vote against Master Cook.

But, if you're just starting out, and don't know much, you have to get started somewhere...
    Last edited by Golden Spider; 02-15-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
    The clouded mind, sees nothing...

All I know is, never hire a deranged burmese hooker to perform analingus on a out of shape shaolin monk.

A simple action of flatulation from one trained in the qi qong arts can turn into something else all together and it is a pain in the a$$ to hide a corpse in a K-Mart parking lot.
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 02-15-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    All I know is, never hire a deranged burmese hooker to perform analingus on a out of shape shaolin monk.

A simple action of flatulation from one trained in the qi qong arts can turn into something else all together and it is a pain in the a$$ to hide a corpse in a K-Mart parking lot.
    You sir, have made me speechless.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

But has anyone trained with him?

I just noticed that Maestro Cook has disabled comments and ratings for his YouTube videos. ~Tough luck.
    The clouded mind, sees nothing...

meh.

people are judgmental.

9 of 10 of those judgments are to the negative.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Every martial artist gets sh!t on at some point on youtube. You can't blame him regardless of what you might think of what he teaches. He put himself out there, and he does not completely s@ck, so bully for him. I know guys who like him and say he is an honest guy and good for them.

Me, I just want my money back because the tape was sold as Fukien White Crane and it wasn't.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Jerry Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cook View Post
    I can see how you think it was Hungar. It is from the Hung family. It's not all powerful low stances, but contains the five elements and the five animals for use in Chinese medicine as the creator Wong Feihung was a traditional chinese medicine doctor. The exercises correlate to a yin and yang organs. If you look at youtube, it will give you the names, the exercises, the organs, and it's a treasure of Chinese kungfu that I wanted to share with my martial art brothers. I think traditional Hungar people may appreciate this variation. I collect 108 technique forms from Shaolin/Wudang styles, and this is one of them.

I'll post the applications and combat methods later.

Regards -- Jerry Cook
    I have known Jerry since 1994.I met him at the sacred mountain training in Flagstaff Arizona.I learned more from him in those 5 days than any other seminar i had been to.I have been studying since 1979.I started in the army with tai kwon do for 18 mo.Transferd to germany,met a chinese kickboxer named Michael Bimboe,studied with him for 12 mo.Went back to states,studied bagua&tai chi.in1989. I met David Simeone in1993,and absolutely loved what he had to teach.I was able to learn five animal fist wa lum style,shaolin fighting forms.But through all of this the one thing sticks in my mind is that a true martial artists would never have to fight,because he or she would never let the situation happen and if forced he or she would defend the weak and over come adversity.Jerry Cook is a MARTIAL ARTISTS.I have never seen his tapes, but knowing him and seeing him in action ten years ago was a great experiance.His knowlege of shaolin and wu dang is more extensive than most people can imagine