Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Master Adam Hsu

Ah, there is always something to b!tch about. Only in CMA do you get credit for what you s@ck at, but none for what you are good at.

The only people whinier are the fake CMA people!
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

flying monkey
    I am not trying to knock him, I am just reporting what I heard. I also heard negative things about him from people in the taiwan school. maybe they are just hating, the explanations given to me why were pretty good.

No matter WHO you are or HOW great you are at what you do SOMEONE will always have something negitive to say............... just human nature

I would however listen to sanjuro and mas Judt and others about the he said she said crap and meet him personally and only then make your opinon and not take others that I would lead to believe they have never trained with crossed hands with or met Adam Hsu...........
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

cjurakpt Guest
    never touched hands with him, but he "originated" the first ever weapons sparring division at NACMAF in '93 - not only was he clear and concise in explaining the rules, he showed no favoritism and officiated consistently; he also spoke intelligently and had the bearing of a true gentleman on top of what appeared to be considerable knowledge about CMA weapons usage; and again, he's got one heck of a tailor!

His jackets are way cool.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The necromancer (me) doesn't like his Jian design. Too anorexic.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Blog Entries
    In Taiwan Adam heard that one of the full contact champ in China lived in Taiwan, Adam took his sleeping bag with him and found that person and stayed 3 weeks with that champ. It's very difficult to see people with that much love in CMA in today's society.

Blog Entries
    In Taiwan Adam heard that one of a full contact champ in China lived in Taiwan, Adam took his sleeping bag with him and found that person and stayed 3 weeks with that champ. It's very difficult to see people with that much love in CMA in today's society. His opinion about "internal" and Qi made a lot of Taiji masters unhappy in Taiwan. he is a true "down to earth" person IMO.

Be that as it may... I still don't like his Jian design.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Blog Entries
    Adam's famous saying:

- Going through elementary school 5 times won't give you a Phd degree.
    - Many people refuse to graduate from elementary school.
    - You want to grow "tall" and not grow "fat".
    - Your stances are so perfect that you have 6 horse stances in your form and they all look identical.
    - What's the value of your new form that you have just created? Have you created some new skill or you just rearrange some old CMA skills in different order?
    - The sword dance and dance with sword are different.
    - If you have 3 baskets and label them as "beginner", "intermediate", and "advance" then can you divide your training methods in those basket?
    - How will you deliver your triple punches? Do you punch as 3 fast punches, 1 slow punch and 2 fast punches, or 2 slow punches and 1 fast punch?
    - The day that you train your weapon forms without holding a weapon, the day that you understand what "Shenfa" means.
    - During the end of the Ming dynasty, some none CMA scholar created the word "internal" so Chinese can argue about "internal" vs. "external" for the next 300 years.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-31-2008 at 03:34 PM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    YKW, those are some awesome aphorisms...especially the last.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Adam's famous saying:

- Going through elementary school 5 times won't give you a Phd degree.
    - Many people refuse to graduate from elementary school.
    - You want to grow "tall" and not grow "fat".
    - Your stances are so perfect that you have 6 horse stances in your form and they all look identical.
    - What's the value of your new form that you have just created? Have you created some new skill or you just rearrange some old CMA skills in different order?
    - The sword dance and dance with sword are different.
    - If you have 3 baskets and label them as "beginner", "intermediate", and "advance" then can you divide your training methods in those basket?
    - How will you deliver your triple punches? Do you punch as 3 fast punches, 1 slow punch and 2 fast punches, or 2 slow punches and 1 fast punch?
    - The day that you train your weapon forms without holding a weapon, the day that you understand what "Shenfa" means.
    - During the end of the Ming dynasty, some none CMA scholar created the word "internal" so Chinese can argue about "internal" vs. "external" for the next 300 years.
    some cool thoughts/points.

Greetings,

Re: Adam Hsu

I never met the man.

His contribution to my growth:

When it came to combat usage he delivered a groundbreaking 2 stage process delivered in separate articles. They are...

1- The whole arm is a fist.

2- The whole body is a fist.

He is probably the only student from the Wutan that openly wrote about the third form of the Lost Track form in English in an IKF article, as well as about the hand position peculiar to that style. I only hear talk of two Lost track forms nowadays.

I also appreciated the article that was put out about stancework. Even though it was written by one of his students, Hsu's "hand" was there.

mickey

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to Win!

Enter to win Life is Too Short for Bad Kung Fu by Adam Hsu!
    Contest ends 3/3/2022

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart