Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Monks in SW USA?

Shaolin Monks in SW USA?

Are there any Shaolin Monks in the Southwest US? (Southern California, Arizona, etc) I've heard that there is a place now in Las Vegas, but what about Phoenix, Tucson, or LA-area? I've heard of a monk named Xiao (no other names, just Xiao) in this area, but I've not sure where he's out of or if he's even legit. Can anyone help?
    I've heard of another monk named 'zowey' though I have no idea how to spell nor does it sound Mandarin Chinese (Zaoi, xiao yi-that would maybe be the closest, but I think it's said with a 'z' not 'x')
    Last edited by freedom76; 04-07-2005 at 08:35 AM.
    Blah, blah, blah...

what about San Antonio, TX. there is few in Houston, but that's over 3 hour drive.

arizona

Xiao teaches in Phoenix along with Li Jinheng.
    http://www.masterli.com/xiao-1.htm

i've met li jinheng, and he is a very nice guy, and his kung fu is good.
    There you can study either traditional shaolin, modern wushu, or both based on your interests and needs. good luck

Oasis,
    Thank you for the information. I too have met Li Jinheng and his kung fu is very good. He has a lot more schools than I remember. If I can ask, where do you train or in what style?
    Blah, blah, blah...

The website's in my profile I study shaolin kung fu in New Orleans with Shawn Liu (De Ru), a disciple of Shi Su Xi. I also study taiji with him. We do Yang and Chen styles.

Where are you specifically planning on moving to/practicing? and what tcma do you study?

So far I have found only Master Li and Xiao for Wushu and Shaolin Kung Fu in Arizona. I have found other schools that advertise that they teach chinese 'kung fu' but well let's just say don't bother.

There are some Wing Chun schools in the AZ area that seem pretty good but Wing Chun is not what I am interested in studying at this point.

Master Li's main school is in bad area. I think that is the only location of his that he teaches. There are other schools where his students teach. I have seen one of them teaching in Scottsdale and I was impressed. The only problem with that school is they are practicing in a small room with about 10-20 students. It's not the best for swinging weapons around.

I believe that the Shaolin is only taught at his main location on Sunday's. I am going there this Sunday to check it out. I am hoping Master Xiao teaches more than 1 day a week though.
    Last edited by Theoderic; 04-08-2005 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoderic
    So far I have found only Master Li and Xiao for Wushu and Shaolin Kung Fu in Arizona. I have found other schools that advertise that they teach chinese 'kung fu' but well let's just say don't bother.

There are some Wing Chun schools in the AZ area that seem pretty good but Wing Chun is not what I am interested in studying at this point.

Master Li's main school is in bad area. I think that is the only location of his that he teaches. There are other schools where his students teach. I have seen one of them teaching in Scottsdale and I was impressed. The only problem with that school is they are practicing in a small room with about 10-20 students. It's not the best for swinging weapons around.

I believe that the Shaolin is only taught at his main location on Sunday's. I am going there this Sunday to check it out. I am hoping Master Xiao teaches more than 1 day a week though.
    those "don't bother"s you're talking about are really good at what they do, if you're thinking of the soft stylists. I know of them by reputation only. the shaolin deciple you reference might know them, they too are in the phoenix area. there's probably a reason why those soft stylists were considered *evil* by Shaolin in the moderate past.

theoderic...

good luck with your search. let us know how the class goes sunday. as for the other location and the low ceilings, did u ask how they train weapons? at my school's current place, until we move to a better location, the ceilings are too low for staff forms, so we actually practice out in the parking lot with no problems. perhaps the scottsdale school does the same

One school I just found is http://www.shaolinarizona.com/default.aspx

I don't know much about it so if any of you devote shaolin practioners can look at it....

The schools around here that advertise 'kung fu' and tai chi are pretty bad. I have watched there classes and the styles look pathetic and they end teaching several arts, aikido, hapkido, tae kwon do, long fist...... Then watching them spar...well....pretty bad.

The Scottsdale location for Master Li is at http://www.azwado.com/html/body_the_center.html

It is a karate school that now offers 3 different rooms where several different arts are taught. Its a very unique and interesting place.

the shaolin center is a west coast shaolin-do school. i'm sure you've seen the numerous threads about that...

as for the scottsdale location, again, if you're pleased with the teaching, and if you like the style, then the fact that other styles share the facility shouldn't be a factor at all unless you feel that you're not getting adequate space. since everyone has their class schedules it should be fine.

Ahh Shaolin-Do.,.

Well I visited Master Li's Shaolin class on Sunday. I think in my mind I may have idealized the experience. For what I hoped for and what I saw were 2 different things.

First off there were more children there than adults, about 10 under 8 year olds. They were doing as lil kids should do, talk, goof around, be silly. There were 2 adults, 45+ in age. It seemed more like a get together at a friends house than a martial art class. The head instructor, I am not sure who he was Li or Xiao, was VERY skilled.

I know about 7 words in Mandarin so I didnt understand what was said. I was hoping for a more structured class that offered lots of conditioning drills as well as learning forms and techniques. All that he would do was make a jesture and then they would go up and down the mat doing various kicking drills and cartwheels.

To bad, that guy teaching was top notch at his art. Maybe if I learn mandarin and seek private lessons.... Either that or I will have to look for other alternatives out here.

There is one school of sorts that is interesting. The ICCM, Internal College of Chines Martial Arts, I believe. They teach all the top internal arts of China and also chinese medicine and herbology.

I guess my dream of learning Shaolin will have to wait for now.

hm...

that's too bad....might have been the xiao guy. li jinheng is fluent in english so you wouldnt have any problems in his class. perhaps before you make your final judgement about the school, give li jinheng a call or email and inquire about the way different classes are conducted at different locations. you never know.

Training In Texas

Hello Brother

How are you? To be honest. 3 Hours is a blessing. Its allot better than $2000 + and flying to China. I'm a Student of Master Shi Xing Hao. If you are interested in Coming to Houston, Im sure one of the students here could help you out. I've seen students come from other parts of the country, and train for a few days and return when they can. Its all up to you, and how much you want it. if you need help, feel free to contact me. and I'll see what I can do to assist you.

Amitoufo

Lu Zhi Shen
    We live in a world that uses real lemons for floor wax & lemon flavoring for lemonade. And yet we drink.
    visit www.houstonshaolin.com

Thank you all. I appreciate the information. I mainly focus on Northern Shaolin right now, but also focusing on improving my Chin Na. I have a good, solid foundation, so I often watch videos or read books looking for the simliarities and picking up what I can, working ideas out, etc. I've been looking for awhile for a good, reputable school with an instructor that is both knowledgeable in his art and a good teacher. Unfortunetly traveling isn't always easy with a family.

I too agree that Li Jinheng is very skilled and yes, he is fluent in English. He is a very friendly man. He has a pretty good rope dart video, though the directing and editing isn't great (but content is excellent). I'd highly reccommed it if you are looking for a rope dart video (which are rare to begin with).

Again, thank you.
    Blah, blah, blah...