Thread: Defensive fighting.

Defensive fighting.

What do you see as defensive fighting?

Dodging/slipping?
    Counter-punching/counter-kicking?
    Parrying/blocking?
    Leaving openings to capitalize on your opponent's attack?

In boxing and other competition fighting everyone would agree defensive strategies are useful, or even essential. What about on the street? Surely it's more important to show downright aggression and give no quarter? Of course, this depends on the kind of person you are: naturally non-aggressive people have to work on their agression and proactiveness, and will have a natural disadvantage compared to a naturally animalistic all-out aggressive kind of instinctive fighter.

I would think...

Discussion, argument, flame welcome!

Happy New Year!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Just look up squirrel kung fu on these forums. It's completely defensive. Really.

Blog Entries
    in a world today where offense is everyone's objective........

i still feel that defense is one of the most slept on aspects of martial arts.

In my opinion, out in the streets, its far more important to have good defense in the ways you describe. if you watch the street fights on youtube, you will see just how different they are compared to ring fighting.

street fights usually last a minute or two both sides are definately focused on whooping each others arses, if you watch close, there is a lot of defense going on.

good street fighters know the difference......still thats my opinion.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

In my outlook defensive starts while you are de escalating the altercation. This includes avoidance, talking the situation down, to evading.

Once engaged however, there is no such thing as defensive. Offense must be put into play in order to stop or get away from the altercation. This can be done by any means necessary. Via brandishing a weapon to using it. Blocking. Locking. Hitting. Kicking. Etc.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

hit the guy till he runs away crying

best defense is a good ofense
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

IMO, fighting with extreme defense in mind is useful only if you are actually trying NOT to hurt someone.

A majority of altercations will not be like this, unless you are an enforcer of some sort. ei: policeman, bouncer, security guard.

Pro active offense is still a must, though primarily you are going to be trying to defuse a situation as best as possible while at the same time, minimizing any serious bodily harm to any parties involved.

a real fight how ever, very different. IMO, down them as fast as possible, with as much damage as possible in the shortest amount of time possible. its rarely so simple, but i am totally of the school of securing solid offensive action from the get go to aid or minimalize any necessity of being on the defenisve.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Talking It should be both...

IMO, your movements should be both offensive and defensive. There are numerous disadvantages to being primarily a secondary fighter.

1. You allow your opponent to set and even control the tempo. Even though real fights do not last long... you are starting at a disadvantage.

2. When at zero distance, you will always loose when it comes to reaction time. Basically... your opponent already knows what he's throwing. You have to recognize it, then react.

3. Keeping back and waiting for the right opening requires space as well... which you may not always have. You need to keep distance to give yourself time to react. Sensitivity training teaches you to stick to your opponent so you can feel subtle movements and react quickly while in close range... good stuff!

The quicker you can turn from defensive to offensive the better! I personally love the close range stuff because a lot of people do not know how to generate power at a close range. People like to swing instead of coming from the ground up. Ofcourse you have to watch for grabs and takedowns but that's what we train for hehehe