Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yi Chin Ching

Yi Chin Ching

OK there's no real need for a video here for this. The old Shaolin Yi Chin Ching are quite simple. This first one is my 10 year old daughter doing the first exercise.

The official version says to look east, so ok..look east when you start.

Stand at attention with both arms slightly bent at the elbow. Fingers together and tips facing forward, they should be parallel to the ground. Palm along the side of your leg. Count from 1 to 49. On each count raise the finger tips up and press the palms down. you should not relax the hand between counts but continue to push the finger tips up and the palms down. There should be little external movement, but you should feel extreme tension in your wrist and lower forearms. Breathing throughout this should be normal.

A close up of the hand position.

That's it. None of the rest of the 12 positions are a great deal harder, but try it and you will feel exactly where this works.

Jeffoo:

Very cool, have you ever seen these exercises done with a certain amount of body/ torso movement done with them, similar to making the chest and back work like pumping a bellows, for lack of a better description. just wondering.

Thanks
    Mike Biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Piercinghammer View Post
    Jeffoo:

Very cool, have you ever seen these exercises done with a certain amount of body/ torso movement done with them, similar to making the chest and back work like pumping a bellows, for lack of a better description. just wondering.

Thanks
    Mike Biggie

Oh Hey Mike...I just watched your Hok Fu Gao Cha on youtube. Almost identical to the way I learned it. Very well done.

I have not seen these done this way. The way it was explained to me is these are meant to isolate the areas that you are working and any other movement reduces the effect. Of course when I learned it, my teacher's way was the only way, but as I have traveled and seen how others do it, I see that there are many differences (most small) in how it is done. To see them done, the Yi Chin Cheng are rather boring to look at...lol but when you do it you can't deny the effects...

Maybe I'll just put all 12 up here since it's pretty easy to do and to explain.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    cool, same first position as our version

we aim for complete contraction of all the muscles in the body at the same time while exhaling all the breath through the mouth while the tongue is touching the roof of the mouth
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    we aim for complete contraction of all the muscles in the body at the same time while exhaling all the breath through the mouth while the tongue is touching the roof of the mouth
    why?

Because that's the way I Chin CHing are done, even in SD...LOL.....

We've got 49 of the suckers, and if you do each one 10 times, by the end of all 49 you feel like you've just run a marathon.

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    cool, same first position as our version

That is interesting... I learned that the tension was more "internal" if you will, and not just contracting muscles in the body. If you relax all the muscles during inhalation then this method is remarkedly similar to Maxalding "muscle control".

But is that how the Yi Jin Jing is supposed to be performed? Perhaps, it depends on what you want to accomplish with the practice...

Hopefully we can get more insight on this from other forum members who have studied this chigung. Maybe Dale Dugas or Steve Hamp??

-Blake
    "Gungfu is not just about fighting."

"Repitition is the mother of skill."

I only stiffen one muscle when I do the I Chin Ching. I'll let you guess which one. Ever wonder why it's called the Bone Muscle Classic? What did you think "Marrow-washing" was?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    why?

It's common place for the tip of the tongue to be on the roof of the mouth to complete the "Grand Cycle" of chi circulation. I found this to be kind of a moot point with these particular exercises and with the Lohan Gong as well since those are all basically dynamic tension types of exercises.

But many teachers who teach Qigong do teach that ALL drills have the tongue placed this way.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
    That is interesting... I learned that the tension was more "internal" if you will, and not just contracting muscles in the body. If you relax all the muscles during inhalation then this method is remarkedly similar to Maxalding "muscle control".

But is that how the Yi Jin Jing is supposed to be performed? Perhaps, it depends on what you want to accomplish with the practice...

Hopefully we can get more insight on this from other forum members who have studied this chigung. Maybe Dale Dugas or Steve Hamp??

-Blake
    The muscle tension is internal and the muscles and tendons being worked are not relaxed a bit during these exercises.

There are 12 postures, each held for a 49 count. Each posture works different muscles. At the end you are indeed tired.

I have found that each teacher teaches these very differently, so I ultimately go back to the original Shaolin Authentic to review each posture and method.

what is the Original Shaolin Authentic?

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Because that's the way I Chin CHing are done, even in SD...LOL.....
    I take it you are being sarcastic, but that's actually about the most in depth answer most people will be able to offer, unfortunately...

I learned that the tension was more "internal" if you will, and not just contracting muscles in the body.
    man, that poor musculoskeletal system just takes a beating from "internalists", like it's somehow an "inferior" way of doing things; sorry, that's total BS; ok, WHY is contracting muscles not being "internal"? I mean, I don't care what you are doing, if you are moving, you're contracting muscles - there is no other way to move, sorry, unless you are falling down; so then, maybe it has to do with the QUALITY of the muscle contractions and the way that they coordinate through the body, how about that?

If you relax all the muscles during inhalation then this method is remarkedly similar to Maxalding "muscle control".
    impossible - if you are inhaling, there is this big old muscle called the respiratory diaphragm that is contracting, along with a number of intercostals, the abdominals (kind of important if you want to get a deep breath), the pelvic floor, and if you are standing, all the postural stabilizers from the foot up, unless you want to fall down on your face or asz, because when you inhale you change your center of gravity...

ok, that's a very salient comment - what exactly is one attempting to accomplish with this practice? seriously, what?

that would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffoo View Post
    It's common place for the tip of the tongue to be on the roof of the mouth to complete the "Grand Cycle" of chi circulation. I found this to be kind of a moot point with these particular exercises and with the Lohan Gong as well since those are all basically dynamic tension types of exercises.
    But many teachers who teach Qigong do teach that ALL drills have the tongue placed this way.
    ok, but again, why? and "completing the Grand Circulation" doesn't count - that's just a metaphorical descriptor, it doesn't tell you what's going on anatomically / physiologically / biomechanically when you do that...

The muscle tension is internal and the muscles and tendons being worked are not relaxed a bit during these exercises.
    tendons are non-contractile; they cannot "be worked" or "relaxed" intrinsically - they can only be placed under tension by the action of the muscle fibers;

I have found that each teacher teaches these very differently, so I ultimately go back to the original Shaolin Authentic to review each posture and method.
    which is basically "Sino-sized" yoga...

what I'm trying to point out is that there are many very interesting ideas about what is going on in the body when you are doing something like YGG, and the problem is that MOST people do it the way they do it because they were taught to do it that way; problem is, they don't really understanding a) why they are doing it; b) what is actually happening in the body by doing it the way they are doing it; c) how to monitor and self-regulate and CHANGE how they are doing it according to a given circumstance...

It is, basically, Sino-sized Yoga. You take postures, some static, some moving, all of them encompassing some kind of motion. On a purely athletic level, the harder positions test your balance and help strengthen muscle groups that don't regularly get a lot of exercise (it's done wonders for my lower back, which has always been a problem for me). Some of them help flexibility. Others, you just focus on your breathing. It's funny, though, because it's "static", one would think that they're easy. But regularity of motion, deep breathing, focusing on the tension--it's all a kind of internal motion, if you want to call it that (and I usually don't, b/c I figure all arts are internal/external nowadays, and it's pretty d@mn difficult to divorce one from the other without making the art useless). It's almost like meditation, only "hardcore".....EXTREME! Lol....

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    I take it you are being sarcastic, but that's actually about the most in depth answer most people will be able to offer, unfortunately...

man, that poor musculoskeletal system just takes a beating from "internalists", like it's somehow an "inferior" way of doing things; sorry, that's total BS; ok, WHY is contracting muscles not being "internal"? I mean, I don't care what you are doing, if you are moving, you're contracting muscles - there is no other way to move, sorry, unless you are falling down; so then, maybe it has to do with the QUALITY of the muscle contractions and the way that they coordinate through the body, how about that?

impossible - if you are inhaling, there is this big old muscle called the respiratory diaphragm that is contracting, along with a number of intercostals, the abdominals (kind of important if you want to get a deep breath), the pelvic floor, and if you are standing, all the postural stabilizers from the foot up, unless you want to fall down on your face or asz, because when you inhale you change your center of gravity...

ok, that's a very salient comment - what exactly is one attempting to accomplish with this practice? seriously, what?

that would be nice

ok, but again, why? and "completing the Grand Circulation" doesn't count - that's just a metaphorical descriptor, it doesn't tell you what's going on anatomically / physiologically / biomechanically when you do that...

tendons are non-contractile; they cannot "be worked" or "relaxed" intrinsically - they can only be placed under tension by the action of the muscle fibers;

which is basically "Sino-sized" yoga...

what I'm trying to point out is that there are many very interesting ideas about what is going on in the body when you are doing something like YGG, and the problem is that MOST people do it the way they do it because they were taught to do it that way; problem is, they don't really understanding a) why they are doing it; b) what is actually happening in the body by doing it the way they are doing it; c) how to monitor and self-regulate and CHANGE how they are doing it according to a given circumstance...
    Thank you so much for your amazingly insightful (and narrow-minded) comments. You have trully shown me the superiority of your intellect and how "the poor little chinese folk dont know science" as I imagine you might say.

I can see that you have generously shared your viewpoints on TCM and other eastern paradigms on other threads so there is prob no need for you to post any more in this thread. No doubt, it would contribute little to the conversation.

That being said, allow me to clarify what I was getting at in my earlier post. What makes the Yi Jin Jing different than any other isometric exercise? Or is it just another isometric exercise? It does not qualify as a dynamic tension set because there is very little to no movement.

Jeffoo - do you perform your YJJ with muscular tension allover your body or just in the forearms and hands?

So, what makes the YJJ so special? I look forward to more comments (with the exception of cjurakpt) on this great exercise set.

-Blake
    "Gungfu is not just about fighting."

"Repitition is the mother of skill."

answer to the question about the placement of the tongue is, it connects the conception vessel.
    In the mouth thier is a seperation of this flow a break in the circulation if you will when placing the tongue on the roof of the mouth it bridges this seperation thus completing the flow unbroken.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."