Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing and Wing Chun

[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Don't waste your breath bro..

Can't teach a rock new tricks....

They think they have cornered the market on quality..

We have never said any such thing. As for our skills in Boxing/Wing Chun. We dont think we have skills...we know we have skills!
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

As long if one don’t “trip”, the haters would have to put words in the mouths of others, or even take on drastic measures to prove to others that one is truly knowledgeable in something that shows others their lack of understanding, “of the true game"…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 01-05-2008 at 11:50 AM.

He's calling me a snake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Hum, hum good, now that’s fresh hater aid…

We only have one clip that is the same; all of the other clips that are in this video are new and different techniques that we are approaching… LOL, LOL...

Let's flick the switch once again...

Ali Rahim.
    Now, see, I thought we'd cleared the air with those couple of PMs, and there you go with the name-calling and saying that just because people disagree with you they're hater. Ad hominem all the way.

In case you hadn't noticed there are still some things you didn't comment on (about some constructive criticism I offered). And the vid is different but the contents are the same: the same padwork - no bagwork, no sitting on punches, chain punch-style punches (no body movement, semi-front-facing), rarely any jab work, precious few combinations (I guess you''re not teaching them to him on the pads because all you're doing is that fast freestyle padwork), no demonstration of a knowledge of basic footwork (there is: there are TWO turns - count them... but the rest of his footwork is stationary pretty much, and flatfooted - no bounce), no combination padwork (what's been called here 'Tyson' stuff but which has been pointed out to also be used by Roger Mayweather in his training vid that YOU put up)... etc etc etc...

Shall I write them in a numbered list with references to the time these things happen specifically in Mayweather's vid next time?

The other way is you could go through the vid and tell us what you see as being different in some way to the previous vids.

These are not personal attacks, Ali. However much you call me a snake, it's not about YOU. But yeah, whatever, if you just want to insist you've got the goods and stick you fingers in you ears going lalalalala that's one way of going about life.
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 01-05-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Hi Chris,

You seem like a nice person. Have you played Chi Sau with Wing Chun practitioners outside your school?

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post

Chi Sao

Quote Originally Posted by MapoTofu View Post
    Hi Chris,

You seem like a nice person. Have you played Chi Sau with Wing Chun practitioners outside your school?

Thanks for the flattering compliment.
    As for Chi Sao outside of the school, so far 4 people for sure. Two were from another Louisville school and one was visiting from California, an asian guy said he was from William Cheungs schools but he was only present for one evening. Then there is a new guy who has family here but travels a lot. Name is Trystan but forgot what line he originally studied. He is due to be back in town this Feb/March so we will be seeing him again. He trained with us for about 2 1/2 weeks before taking off again.
    All the rest has been using Chi Sao in our group class sparring against a lot of Kempo people anywhere form 1-3 times a week.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

When one throws a lot of combinations when fighting or working on the pads, he has to remain flat-footed because the young fighter should be learning how to get power from the floor, just as in wing chun…

When throwing a lot of punches and learning how to develop power from a stance point of view, those combos that are seen while working on the pads may look like there is no power in them, but as long if one is developing power from staying connected to the floor anyone of those combinations could easily be turned into power shots (true focus), from a stance point of view or being connected to the floor…

One should only start to fight on his toes when you are hurt or just really out class the fighter that’s in the ring at the moment, doing that (on your toes) in the streets can get one killed, unless the one you are fighting is not in harmony with the idea of attack… In the street where I’m from (Detroit) you wait, you may or could die…

You have to develop power from somewhere… If you’re not connected to the floor, then you sure wont find it on your toes…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 01-07-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Hey Ali,

One should only start to fight on his toes when you are hurt or just really out class the fighter that’s in the ring at the moment, doing that (on your toes) in the streets can get one killed, unless the one you are fighting is not in harmony with the idea of attack… In the street where I’m from (Detroit) you wait, you may or could die…

You have to develop power from somewhere… If you’re not connected to the floor, then you sure wont find it on your toes…

Ali Rahim.
    Actually the basic boxing stance is shown with the back heel off the floor from day 1. At least that's how I was taught.

What about everyone else?

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

Thanks for your answers Ali, Jeff.
    When one throws a lot of combinations when fighting or working on the pads, he has to remain flat-footed because the young fighter should be learning how to get power from the floor, just as in wing chun…
    Like Jeff, that's the opposite of what I was taught... I was taught in boxing we get power from the floor but with mobility, not 'from the toes' but from a good balls of the feet stance and sitting on your punches.

Like Jeff this was drilled into us from day one. My coach had 'completed' the wing chun system's empty hand stuff under Yip Chun, and was constantly dogging me about my flat-footed stance (well I say constantly, but after he knocked me around a bit in sparring to illustrate why it wasn't going to work, it didn't take me long to adapt )

When throwing a lot of punches and learning how to develop power from a stance point of view, those combos that are seen while working on the pads may look like there is no power in them, but as long if one is developing power from staying connected to the floor anyone of those combinations could easily be turned into power shots (true focus), from a stance point of view or being connected to the floor…
    When you watch the Mayweather training clip you put up you can see the power generation in every move that young lady makes. That's not to say she's focusing too much on power (although she does look like she's trying to hard sometimes and her shoulders are coming up so she's telegraphing and maybe hitting a bit too hard from what I was taught for padwork but she's way better than me anyway) or that she's necessarily hitting too hard, but that you can see her footwork, her body movement and her sitting on her punches.

Your young man Ali, as well as not moving his feet doesn't seem to be moving his body much either. When he ducks (and his upper body evasive moves are very nice) he doesn't seem to be connecting to his lower body to be able to fire off a punch from any angle as he comes back up, as she does.

I dunno. Maybe I missed something, but even given stylistic differences their movement seems very different to me.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Ali keep the good work

Does someone know the Filipino Boxing Here ...Panantukan

Steeve

Look, Ali sir, this has gone beyond a normal discussion about training methods, and I don't want to keep coming back here and ragging on you...

I just noticed you've been training these kids the same way for what, 8 mths now? So whatever, you've got your way of doing things and you're not going to change, so all I've got left to say is I really wish him the best of luck. Just make sure he knows: confidence is all well and good but in every fight there's a loser too. That way he's more likely not to just give up at his first defeat (if of course, he's defeated).

Hey Ali,
    I just came across this site

http://www.boxingdaily.co.uk/

I don't know anything about using the same backgrounds on pages but just wanted to let you know about in case there are legal issues. There may not be, I really don't know anything about that kind of thing.

J

Hey Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bussey View Post
    Hey Ali,
    I just came across this site

http://www.boxingdaily.co.uk/

I don't know anything about using the same backgrounds on pages but just wanted to let you know about in case there are legal issues. There may not be, I really don't know anything about that kind of thing.

J

It’s looks similar to mine’s but that’s ok, if you look at the copyright dates (at the bottom of each page) you can see for yourself that I was first … I hope it works for them, to tell you the truth, I’m flatter…

He has just over a hundred readers I have well over five hundred…

Man, I have more hit’s from the UK than anywhere else, (fans) so to me, I guess they have the right…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-24-2008 at 07:16 AM.

That's cool.
    I just wanted to point it out, cause like I said, I don't know anything about that kind of stuff.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bussey View Post
    That's cool.
    I just wanted to point it out, cause like I said, I don't know anything about that kind of stuff.

J

Same here. I know very little about it but I DO know that you can buy web templates just like software packages. You can even buy a package for a forum already made and done and it just needs to be installed. Just wordz for thought.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

The fury’s first fight (done a lot of sparring) will be in June, he’ll just turn 17 years old, against a 35-year old veteran club fighter here in Louisville, Kentucky; this will be his true test, he’s been training for a year in a half, four to five days a week…

He will be going national when he graduates from high school next year, (a lot of club fighting for now, his own people) he will fight in the nationals for three to four years, and if things go well, then he will be picked up by ‘Bernard Hopkins’ of “Golden Boy Promotions” at least, he was the first to contact us…

No matter the outcome the fight will be posted here…

Ali Rahim.