Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Boxing and Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I know you're being facetious, but he (the 11 year-old) has good technique including keeping his chin tucked.

Let me share a personal anecdote: when I was a kid, I played tennis (and went on to play on my college team). When my parents took me (around 11 or 12) to my first pro/coach, he focused on nothing but getting me to hit the ball as hard as I could, as fast as I could, with everything I had. He wanted every shot to be like a rocket blast. He didn't care if the ball went out, into the net, whatever -- just kept focusing on hitting the ball as hard as I could. My parents watched this go on for a while and then approached him inquiring about his method. He told them that if you focused on things like ball control, various technical details, etc. that you will never develop power (which come from the body mechanics) because those things prevent you from moving freely (and you need to move freely to find your power). First, you develop the power, the mechanics, then you take those mechanics and begin fine-tuning them (building off the movement). And over the years, I saw he was right. The kids that first developed power eventually would learn the technical side whereas the kids that first learned the technical side never really had the power.

I think it works the same for any sport or athletic activity because that's how our body learns. These kids IMO are on the right path.

That makes sence..What good is it to be able to hit someone and not be able to do damage..
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

If you can hit someone then they can hit you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    like you said, when your in close range your opponents moves will be too fast...if you keep blocking each attack it will only be a matter of time before you get hit.
    This is true, but in training you would want your fighter to fully understand the significant value of defensive maneuvers from many different points of views
    (About eight rounds a week of just defensive maneuvers.)…

If a fighter has very weak defense he would get hit a lot, more then one who does…

Boxing in general is based on how you can stop someone from hitting you while being able to land your own punches in the process…

Let’s face it; the more you get hit the sooner the fight will be over…

Anyone can throw a good punch, but can you really stop one or move out the way when it counts, because you’re not the only one throwing punches when in a fight...

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    This is true, but in training you would want your fighter to fully understand the significant value of defensive maneuvers from many different points of views
    (About eight rounds a week of just defensive maneuvers.)…

If a fighter has very weak defense he would get hit a lot, more then one who does…

Boxing in general is based on how you can stop someone from hitting you while being able to land your own punches in the process…

Let’s face it; the more you get hit the sooner the fight will be over…

Anyone can throw a good punch, but can you really stop one or move out the way when it counts, because you’re not the only one throwing punches when in a fight...

Ali Rahim.
    Ali, I agree with you on the need for defense but I disagree with your "anyone can throw a good punch" comment. I think that pretty much anyone can throw a punch but there are not that many who can throw a good punch. It takes a long time and a lot of work to be able to punch well.

I think that pretty much anyone can throw a punch but there are not that many who can throw a good punch.
    Thats completely contridictory
    I think though, that you mean pretty much anyone can be trained to throw a good punch, but the amount of people who actually can in general, is few?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Thats completely contridictory
    I think though, that you mean pretty much anyone can be trained to throw a good punch, but the amount of people who actually can in general, is few?
    In general almost no one can throw a good punch. Of those who have trained the percentage goes up but there is still a large number who do not punch well. There are plenty of MAs who have trained for a long time and do not punch well at all. Bad structure, arm punching, dropping the hand after throwing a punch, punches with no snap the inability to throw a combination.

Protective Gear Sparring Practice

我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

When we Trap-spar, it's MMA gloves, headgear, and elbow pads. It's actually pretty fun, and I have always wanted something like that for Taiji as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    That wasn't sparring. That was non-contact chi sao with gear on.

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    With drills that are in place, no foot movement, no full contact to any part of the opponent, what exactly is the protective gear for?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    With drills that are in place, no foot movement, no full contact to any part of the opponent, what exactly is the protective gear for?
    Cause it looks totally rad.
    And if just one of those vertical punches connected and the person was unshielded, it'd blow their head clean off.

Serious. I seen it.

(And dude, selling gear is big business, it can make you like, a thousand dollars)

Hand chasing while dressed as baseball samurai.

Fly swatting with stick.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    Hand chasing while dressed as baseball samurai.

Fly swatting with stick.

Suki
    What does Hand chasing mean?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

chase, v., chased, chas·ing, chas·es.

v.tr.

1. To follow rapidly in order to catch or overtake; pursue: chased the thief.

v.intr.

1. To go or follow in pursuit.
    2. Informal. To go hurriedly; rush: chased all over looking for us.

I'm assuming you know what a hand is.

Outfits aside, the implication is that they are not attempting to hit the person, but more rather, do a (co=operative) drill which teaches a person to remain committed to following the limbs of the opponent.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

did anyone watch the danny green vs roy jones jnr. Smashed him. Only the third guy to do it. Still a great champion but 'go the aussie'

Comment on benny vt's post

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    did anyone watch the danny green vs roy jones jnr. Smashed him. Only the third guy to do it. Still a great champion but 'go the aussie'
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Boxing is a young man's game for the most part. In his prime with excellent reflexes Jones could afford to have his left hand low..now it takes him a little longer to get it up there. Green caught him with a right on his left temple.. and it was the beginning of the tko sequence. Jones is basically done and
    should retire.

joy chaudhuri