Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing and Wing Chun

Boxing and Wing Chun

http://www.louisvillegoldengloves.com/

Wing Chun will still be available here, and other arts as well...

In case you didn’t know…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2sDgYvv0F0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dfgb-Uw7fM

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-24-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Rumble ,young man, Rumble! AAAAAAGGHH!

Cant wait to see the Fury run it right up da middle like Maywether.
    Hatton didnt have a **** thing! lol

~Cg~
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    Cant wait to see the Fury run it right up da middle like Maywether.
    Hatton didnt have a **** thing! lol

~Cg~
    Just as Roger Mayweather said, “everybody wants to believes in bull sh*t and the right man will win, this is not a Rocky movie”…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-24-2007 at 04:25 PM.

I'm not going to comment on the clips.

However, I think this is worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSblALBeJrw
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Constructive...

Good enough for what it is.

Hope you have them doing drills for

keeping their hands up
    moving their feet
    putting their bodyweight into their punches

though too...

Happy Christmas (know you're not a Christian: nor am I, but in the spirit, eh? )
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Thumbs up He's Good, But One Dimensional

He’s all right; he’s kinda one dimensional like Ricky Hatton, but hey as you can see that’s how he’s taught to fight… Hey, fighting like that, your bond to get out classed, but I hope he wins a lot before that happens or get a new trainer…

I guess it’s a Detroit, Michigan thing, consistently fighting mostly in threes and fours and sometime five strikes per entry, consistently slipping punches and catching with the shoulders, like these Michigan born fighter, James “Lights Out Toney, Bernard “Super Bad” Mays, Thomas “Hit Man” Hearns and of course Mayweather Jr. and Oba Carr... Oh yeah, and yours truly, are all defensive fighters...

Being a defensive fighter in the ring, will give the audience their moneys worth, no doubt on that… The names of this game is to catch and make them miss, don't get hit...

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-25-2007 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    He’s all right; he’s kinda one dimensional like Ricky Hatton...
    Amir Khan is 'kinda one-dimensional'? Hark at the boxing expert! Who qualified you to pass that kind of judgment? I mean I know boxing has more than its fair share of sofa commentators but please, after the clips you've just put up...! Is this a seasonal competition with Victor to see who can say the most clueless classless nonsense about fighters who get out there?

Have you ever boxed in the ring? What were your results?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Wing Chun will still be available here, and other arts as well...

In case you didn’t know…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2sDgYvv0F0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dfgb-Uw7fM
    We can debate a lot of things in the martial arts. In fact, I think it's our nature to search for something to argue over. However, I think you're doing great work here by giving young men something positive to direct their energies to. This training will serve them in many ways well into the future. At least that's how I see it.

Peace,
    Bill

kudos

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    We can debate a lot of things in the martial arts. In fact, I think it's our nature to search for something to argue over. However, I think you're doing great work here by giving young men something positive to direct their energies to. This training will serve them in many ways well into the future. At least that's how I see it.

Peace,
    Bill
    You're absolutely right,Matrix. I happen to know for a fact that the training made this kid do a complete turn around. Grades skyrocketed, he set more mature and thoughtful priorities for himself, and he is a lot less withdrawn than when I first met him 3-4 years ago. He still goes through the regular teenage stuff like everybody. But he is commited and well aware of his goals.

~Cg~
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    I happen to know for a fact that the training made this kid do a complete turn around. Grades skyrocketed, he set more mature and thoughtful priorities for himself, and he is a lot less withdrawn than when I first met him 3-4 years ago. He still goes through the regular teenage stuff like everybody. But he is commited and well aware of his goals.
    Yes, these are just the type of things I was referring to. What's interesting is that none of these attributes have anything to do with martial arts, per se, and yet they are produced by that training.
    These boys will look back on this training as one of the key times in their lives. I'm pretty sure of that. Keep up the great work!

Bill

It won’t make a difference on how much qualification I give you… My skills as a trainer/boxer speaks for it self, and praised by many in the professional industry, so it’s no need for me to boast or brag on my pass, I’m a professional…
    I wasn't asking you to brag or boast, I asked you a simple question: what was your pro record and where is it? There's nobody of your name at boxrec - was it under your pre-Moslem name? Don't worry if you were beaten a lot - everyone gets beaten! You can PM me if you don't want it public.

BTW, I'm not challenging you about this: I'm just interested.

And if you think that kid can take on Hatton, then you really don’t have a clue… Hatton is one of the greatest fighters ever and will be for a long time… Khan is not a defensive fighter do you know the difference?
    Er, Khan's a lightweight. Hatton isn't. I never said Khan could take on Hatton.

And anyway, back to my question (you know, the other one of the two that you didn't answer! ): have you ever seen a Khan fight?

Like I said, it’s not about me… What are your qualifications to make such a rebuttal?
    It IS about you Ali! I've already given you props for your training those kids: it's good work and there's nothing that'll detract from that. You then made a preposterous statement about Khan, which you've then refused to back up because you refuse to admit you were talking about something you dont know about, and then you dug yourself into a whole by saying you were a pro-boxer, which frankly, I think is a lie. You could've said all kinds of things to say you were qualified to teach/coach boxing and I'd have said, oh OK fine, but you didn't. You said you had been a pro-boxer, so now I'm interested: what was your record and where is it recorded!?

And what qualifications do I need to ask you about your record?! You're a funny man.

And Graychuan, I'm not sure what your point was here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan
    Amir is like 20-21 yrs old? Fury is 16. I wonder if Amir Khan was doing these type of drills at 16...
    Khan was the silver medallist in the Olympics at 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    This is a good post. This is the way I'd like to leave it. But I'm afraid Ali, I'm waiting for your answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    I'm not going to comment on the clips.

However, I think this is worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSblALBeJrw
    49 secs Guarn Sao..

I use very similar VT actions like we see here, in boxing.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

This is for the haters…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2T_usI1WPY

Ali Rahim.
    In the first 22 secs, your wooden dummy is amazing Ali - it looks so life like even though its just standing there. LOL

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

And is it you, which continue to doge this question, “what are your qualification to make such a rebuttal on this thread”, and the answer, is?

You must have qualifications you ask for mine, and to say that I'm wrong and don't have clue...
    I don't understand your question!

My answer: I don't know what qualifications I need to ask you

1) What is your pro-boxing record?
    2) Have you ever seen a fight of Amir Khan's?

Please, tell me what qualifications I need?

Again, let me reiterate: I'm not challenging your qualifications to coach boxing. A lot of boxing coaches have no experience in the ring themselves, or no pro experience. Of course there are criticisms (well, more like constructive gentle suggestions) I could make of your clips, but they're just clips which don't show the whole story so I wouldn't be so cheeky. And if by my qualifications, you're asking me my boxing experience, it's this:

NO amateur fights
    NO pro fights
    Two years boxing classes with a good boxer as part of an MMA class...

So, no qualifications in boxing at all.

But like I said, what qualifications do I need to ask you those two questions? My qualifications are my knowledge: if there is some hole in what I've asked/posted, please let me know. I'm only generally here to learn.

I disagree with your assessment of Khan. That's fair enough, right? People disagree. Then I admit I said something rather stupid, which was that you need to be qualified in some way to comment on Khan's ability. I don't think you do - anyone can comment on a boxer's ability and most people just do so by having watched a lot of fights. But then you came out as an 'x-pro' and set yourself up as some kind of expert. So then I asked you (quite reasonably I thought) to back up what you said.

And then I'm asking you whether you've seen him fight, because I think you're just assessing him from his training clip, which, as I said, I wouldn't presume to do with your boys, or about your skills.

How can I be trolling? I've asked you two questions explicitly about your claims: there's no ulterior motive! Now stop stalling while you try and find a Khan fight on youtube and answer the questions! LOL.

Talk about defensive... I know you say you're a defensive fighter and all, but it doesn't half show when somebody asks you some reasonable questions and you start hiding in accusations and smoke! Im not questioning your whole existance, man, just asking you a couple of questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    49 secs Guarn Sao..

I use very similar VT actions like we see here, in boxing.
    Yeah, not only that but that cover position with the high left and low right is very much like a kwan sao (high tan, low bong) - different dynamics of course: the boxing ones are based on being punched full-speed and full-contact, the chun ones are mostly based on drills...

It's nice though, nice cover especially for the ducking around: Mayweather uses it a helluva lot, and has a beautifully smooth fast switch from side-to-side... and it seems Ali's got his boys doing it nicely here too.