Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing and Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Simultaneous blocking and striking can't be done all the time but it can be done.
    Yes, Phil, it can be done. Boxers do it too. There is a time and place for them. But it is a low percentage move and it often leaves you exposed for #2.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Yes, Phil, it can be done. Boxers do it too. There is a time and place for them. But it is a low percentage move and it often leaves you exposed for #2.
    I can't argue that one.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

What's a low percentage move?

Simultaneous block and strike in general? Hell no.

Certain simultaneous blocking and striking moves that are attempted at the wrong timing, and at the wrong distances, and with the wrong body positioning?

Yeah.

But from close quarters when the above conditions have been met, it can be used - and used frequently.

Good find I like those clips too…

It’s all-good, but where’s the defense? SEE, this what I’ve been saying all alone anyone can throw a good punch, but can one stop a punch when it counts…

I’m not here to say that the kids on the clips are not good, in which they are. But it’s their trainer’s fault that they train with their hands in the middle of their chest, while showing everyone on how many hard and fast punches that their kids can throw…

But in Tyson’s clip you can clearly see the difference when he’s shadow boxing (all defense) and that’s because he had a world-class trainer at the age of 15, in which I feel it’s very hard to compare other children to a young ‘Tyson’s abilities, because all of Tyson’s young life, all he did was street fight…

Anyone can throw a punch but can you stop one when it counts, remember that power should be harnessed when hitting the pads or one would have the lost of defensive capabilities… One should focus when hitting the focus pads, defensive as well offensively…

I look for good defense first; power will come if one continues to train properly

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    It’s all-good, but where’s the defense? SEE, this what I’ve been saying all alone anyone can throw a good punch, but can one stop a punch when it counts…

I’m not here to say that the kids on the clips are not good, in which they are. But it’s their trainer’s fault that they train with their hands in the middle of their chest, while showing everyone on how many hard and fast punches that their kids can throw…

But in Tyson’s clip you can clearly see the difference when he’s shadow boxing (all defense) and that’s because he had a world-class trainer at the age of 15, in which I feel it’s very hard to compare other children to a young ‘Tyson’s abilities, because all of Tyson’s young life, all he did was street fight…

Anyone can throw a punch but can you stop one when it counts, remember that power should be harnessed when hitting the pads or one would have the lost of defensive capabilities… One should focus when hitting the focus pads, defensive as well offensively…

I look for good defense first; power will come if one continues to train properly

Take care,

Ali Rahim.
    While the second kid is king of just there, how can you say the first one has no defense ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

When he throws his punches watch his hands, they only come up after he’s done punching, as in Tyson clip they never drop… I like to thank you guys for the good posting…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    What's a low percentage move?
    To answer your question: When you take something and try to use it against competant fighters over some period of time, you will begin to see that some things work much, much more often than other things. You can't from theory determine what is or is not high/low percentage -- you can only determine that from EXPERIENCE.

Simultaneous block and strike in general? Hell no.

Certain simultaneous blocking and striking moves that are attempted at the wrong timing, and at the wrong distances, and with the wrong body positioning?

Yeah.

But from close quarters when the above conditions have been met, it can be used - and used frequently.
    People can say this or that works -- showing it working is something else. IME simultaneous block and striking can work at distance (in free-movement range) when your opponent throws wide, slow punches (bad swings, for example -- you know, the thing you showed on your youtumbe demo that you called a hook). On the inside ("close quarters"), you won't be able to pull them off at all as your opponent will be moving too fast (even if you are watching his elbows and knees ).

Hey Ali, thanx for taking the time to share and explain things.

Thumbs up I like your style…

Thanks, that was the best question that I had on this thread so far…

Ali Rahim.

If i don`t know something i ask about it, that`s what got me into wing chun in the first place. The openness and go try it for yourself attitude that leads to evolution and innovation. I bet you and your students have broken all kinds of new ground compared to many other schools that still don`t really spar or use modern training methods.
    Actually that leads me to another question... have you kept your wing chun and your boxing very seperate or have you let them influence eachother at all.

I’m old school, and don’t like change that much…

But with the ideal of mixing the arts and b@stardizing two great systems together (boxing and wing), or by distorting a basic or intermediate comprehension of these ideals…

I would be left alone searching for answers from both systems that doesn’t complement each other… But only exploring my own interpretations within a massive deviation for self gratification…

Different base or stance…
    Different principle and concepts...
    Different structure biomechanics, ect…

I’m not in tune with b@stardizing any art form, for that’s well above my pay grade…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 02-23-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    But with the ideal of mixing the arts and b@stardizing two great systems together (boxing and wing), or by distorting a basic or intermediate comprehension of these ideals…

I would be left alone searching for answers from both systems the doesn’t complement each other… But only exploring my own interpretations within a massive deviation for self gratification…

Different base or stance…
    Different principle and concepts...
    Different structure biomechanics, ect…

I’m not in tune with b@stardizing any art form, for that’s well above my pay grade…

Ali Rahim.
    I tend to agree with Ali in this regard ( WC and Boxing), while some concepts may work together, as a whole they would a counter-productive.
    Not saying they can't borrow stuff from each other, just that, at their core hey are too different.

Ali is right on two points

1.Boxing and wing chun are different enough at their core.

2. The kid in the video is meaninglessly fast: open when their hands come back.
    Hopefully their trainer will teach them how not to be as open.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    1.Boxing and wing chun are different enough at their core.
    The "core" of any martial art is in its "tools". The tools of WCK are not the tools of boxing.

2. The kid in the video is meaninglessly fast: open when their hands come back.
    Hopefully their trainer will teach them how not to be as open.

joy chaudhuri
    He's not "meaningleslly fast". His speed (and/orpower) is the result of his body mechanics -- and those mechanics are meaningful. And that's why I posted all those clips -- including Tyson's -- to illustrate good boxing body mechanics (as opposed to some of the other stuff).

As far as the your and the other comments about hands being "open" or being held low-- the 5 and 7 year-old are 5 and 7 years old. The 11 year-old has IMO excellent form/technique. You can find plenty of pros that hold their hands below the chin when hitting the mitts (very easy to find on youtube).

His hands aren't low, his chin is too high.