Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing and Wing Chun

You guys maybe right, maybe Mayweather Jr. don't any power, not... Maybe these champion got it all wrong, but they keep winning, and I'll go with the winners... We are talking different styles, Tyson is not a defensive fighter do anyone knows the difference between the two. if you did then you would clearly understand...
    I explained it as best as I could, sorry you didn't get it.
    Tyson, in his prime, had excellent defense and head movment, not sure what you mean by "defensive fighter".
    Counter puncher perhaps?
    Anyways, you go ahead and train the way you wanna, free country and all that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I remember Hatton was mocking the way Floyd does his padwork.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Hatton21-1.gif

He got knocked out by Mayweather in his fight so the Mayweather's must be doing something right.

Thumbs up

You got that right.

And Hatton is no joke, I have so much respect for him and I’m sure Mayweathers does also…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 12-28-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    Its already been saved once because your 'pals' on here were looking out for you.
    I've no idea what you're talking about.
    Or did you not get to see my answer to your little spineless challenge before they deleted it, Mr Punch?
    What challenge did I make? PM me to keep this thread clean.
    I guess thats what happens when you have the 'complexion for protection' of which I dont. And neither does SIFU Ali.
    LOL, now wtf are you talking about? And what complexion do I have, Sherlock?
    And, Sifu Ali, maybe we should take their word for it...we have been teaching them way too much on this forum and thats probably why they havent banned us yet... still too much to learn from us.
    You're right - it's a good instructional on what not to do.

Bet you guys are learning a lot arent you?
    Make that laughing, and you're close.

Thanks to JB and YC for some nice posts and getting back to some real points.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That type is pad work is not more advanced, it used by some boxers that are more advanced (not the same thing)...
    And thanks to Sanjuro for this post keepin it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    You get power from hitting the bags not the pads… ...
    When you use a lot of power while training, that’s all one will be thinking about while in the ring and with lost of focus you will also miss a lot
    This was an excellent post too, Ali. But again, if that's ALL you're doing on the pads it's no good. Mixing it up's the name of the game.

...from my boxing community in Detroit…
    Shame you had to slip back into this. Don't you just mean 'from Detroit'?

Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are my boys from my town - wanna hear me play guitar?

If you throw a lot of punches on the pads you will throw a lot in the ring…
    True, and not contradicting what Sanjuro has said or put up either. Let's go over this again: there are two ways to work the pads (well, there are many ways, but two good ways). Like everything they have their pros and cons. My coach liked to mix it up, but he much preferred the Tyson way, and no, it's not for power, it's for the same reasons that Graychuan put up for working the pads the way Ali shows. However, my coach was always crisp in his movements, something which I don't see in Ali's flailing around, but I do see in the Mayweather clip. (And yeah yeah, keep going with the two-year ****, it's still failing to mean anything - I'm no expert, and my coach is from shooto not boxing, but he is guy who has trained extensively with Kid Yamamoto and his trainer and no slouch) Just because Mayweather is using the same style of practice doesn't mean you're doing the same practice, no matter how many times you drop his name.

Look carefully at this.... While Mayweather obviously favours the 'Mayweather style', he's mixing it up: the first 18 secs are the more solid, less frenetic 'Tyson style'... he goes back to it briefly later too, too work her up to a higher work-rate.

Earlier Graychuan and Ali asked us to compare vids of their guys to Mayweather's. I did. They're different. On the surface the look similar, but everything from the movement of the pad-holders down to the stance of the fighters and the interaction between the fighter and pad (the feedback) is different. They (Mayweather et al) are sitting on their punches , they have a typical wide boxing stance and excellent footwork to match. (Another important distinction: even though not practicing for power you can see the power coming naturally - it's practicing power without focusing on it - which kind of nixes Ali's point about people focusing too much on it. Although Ali's point holds true for many boxers, he's forgetting that Mayweather is a world class act who's been through ALL the training techs, whereas Ali's own boys ARE NOT - wouldn't teach a chun beginner Biu Jee would you?) Ali's boys (working hard and improving themselves tho they obviously are - kudos to that as I said) don't have the above three points.

I stand by the stuff I said about Ali's chun, his 'knifework', and his grappling: the latter two are going to get someone's ass kicked, and I don't agree with some of his chun stuff either but each to their own. And however many times you put up the same vid, doesn't mean it's getting any better.

Thanks to Sihing for cleaning up the thread - my bad as the instigator of a lot of it. OK, this time I really will try and stay out of here (Ali and Graychuan haven't answered or haven't got any answers for my legitimate points anyway, and I have been very rude in amongst the genuinely constructive criticism). Graychuan, by all means, if you think I was challenging you, PM me. I wasn't challenging you, I was dissing you! There's a difference!

Take care.
    You too, sirs. Out.
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 12-28-2007 at 05:14 PM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

When working the pads, far as with different trainers or what not… If your trainer is not fueled far as combination fighting, partially with three to four punches while catching with the shoulders, slipping, pulling away from the right and the left hand, rolling back off the left hooks and constantly countering with three to five shots at a time, then the trainee will not do the same…

Most of the time boxing trainer only does what they know, and what they don’t know they’ll find someone else who knows to train they fighter… Fighters will become a carbon copy of their original trainer… Whatever the trainer can’t do the fighter will not be able to do, because the trainer will only stick to his game play…

If the fighter doesn’t learn how to work three to five punches off a slip or catch when working the pads, then he or she will only throw one to two punches at a time when under pure pressure, rather then two to four punches, because they are taught to throw one or two punches hard with and for power standing in one spot and straight up when throwing combinations, most of the time with just only three punches per combo and by training like that, anything over three punches will be wild as h*ll (one dimensional)

When the trainer have taught the fighter all the basic on the pads, then the trainer should push all kinds of punches on his fighter from all kinds of angles, then he should be catching with the shoulders, slipping, pulling away from the right and the left hand, rolling back off the left hooks and constantly countering with three to five shots at a time, then he or she will throw two to four shot when under pressure, the more punches you throw on the pads the more you will throw in the ring, simple is that….

Ali Rahim.

Luky-sao Luky-sao Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    When working the pads, far as with different trainers or what not… If your trainer is not fueled far as combination fighting, partially with three to four punches while catching with the shoulders, slipping, pulling away from the right and the left hand, rolling back off the left hooks and constantly countering with three to five shots at a time, then the trainee will not do the same…

Most of the time boxing trainer only does what they know, and what they don’t know they’ll find someone else who knows to train they fighter… Fighters will become a carbon copy of their original trainer… Whatever the trainer can’t do the fighter will not be able to do, because the trainer will only stick to his game play…

If the fighter doesn’t learn how to work three to five punches off a slip or catch when working the pads, then he or she will only throw one to two punches at a time when under pure pressure, rather then two to four punches, because they are taught to throw one or two punches hard with and for power standing in one spot and straight up when throwing combinations, most of the time with just only three punches per combo and by training like that, anything over three punches will be wild as h*ll (one dimensional)

When the trainer have taught the fighter all the basic on the pads, then the trainer should push all kinds of punches on his fighter from all kinds of angles, then he should be catching with the shoulders, slipping, pulling away from the right and the left hand, rolling back off the left hooks and constantly countering with three to five shots at a time, then he or she will throw two to four shot when under pressure, the more punches you throw on the pads the more you will throw in the ring, simple is that….

Ali Rahim.

The same could be said of WC with regards to Luk-Sao and Phoon-Sao practice. Your hand speed is phenomenal. Could it be that your WC handspeed has benefited from this type of padwork from your boxing background? Hmmmmm
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Thumbs up

The same could be said of WC with regards to Luk-Sao and Phoon-Sao practice. Your hand speed is phenomenal. Could it be that your WC handspeed has benefited from this type of padwork from your boxing background? Hmmmmm

That’s correct Chris, it’s something I’ve been doing all my life hitting and working the pads… I started boxing at the age of seven (first organized fight was at the of 8) and at the age of 12, I started with the advanced pad play with consistent catching and return flow, with three to five punches on the return and after learning how to slip and catch three to four sometimes five shots at a time… At the age of 16 I was sparring with most of the veteran fighters that where in my boxing community or other pro fighters that visited these gyms…

Kronk Boxing

Oakdale Boxing

8th Street Boxing

And yes the pads did contribute to my hand speed and accuracy (you should know Chris, I don’t miss), hitting them and working them both for many, many years…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Your hand speed is phenomenal.
    Too Bad we dont see that in the myriad of vids you guys put out.....

Must be the frame rate slowing things down huh ?

Drew
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

This is my kali instructor, ‘Ron Devu’ from the Philippines, here are both of us working out together, he lives here in Louisville and we see each other a lot… Guru Ron has been training since a very young age… He’s my age now, and he’s very good in what he does…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_pP4OjQ8Y

Hey cant show everything all the time...

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

I like Baat Jum Do for weapons better
    I prefer British CQB tactics for knife defence

...at least you put yourself out there Ali, i dont, nuf said.

Happy New Year.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

phenomenal

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Too Bad we dont see that in the myriad of vids you guys put out.....

Drew
    So! You have been studying hard. Great job, mane!
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

New Clip (boxing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3jpb32WOg

This is a new clip in our gallery...

Ali Rahim.

Different video, exactly the same stuff. You're still not getting it are you?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Different video, exactly the same stuff. You're still not getting it are you?
    Don't waste your breath bro..

Can't teach a rock new tricks....

They think they have cornered the market on quality..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

You can’t trust a snake…

Hum, hum good, now that’s fresh hater aid…

We only have one clip that is the same; all of the other clips that are in this video are new and different techniques that we are approaching… LOL, LOL...

Let's flick the switch once again...

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 01-05-2008 at 09:54 AM.