Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Songshan Shaolin Temple Day

Songshan Shaolin Temple Day

We've covered Songshan Shaolin Temple Day since its inception in 2004. Songshan Shaolin Temple Day was officially declared by California State Assembly's Speaker pro Tempore, Dr. Leland Yee, on March 21st, 2004. For the whole story, see my article Shaolin Temple in San Francisco Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin, California’s “Songshan Shaolin Temple Day,” UNESCO and a Buddhist Music Concert in our July/August 2004 Shaolin Special.

This year, the Abbot is returning to California for Songshan Shaolin Temple Day. We've discussed this a little on some other threads (I dropped by the new Shaolin Temple USA school & Shaolin Shows near SF) but now it deserves its own thread. Songshan Shaolin Temple Day is now being supported by the Friends of Shaolin, a special committee of the Tiger Claw Foundation.

I'll be reporting on the progress of this project here as it happens. I hope to see some of you in Union Square on the 21st and at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts on the 22nd.

Here's the official website flyer.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Press Conference Tomorrow

Pass this along to any S.F. Press people you might know...
    Adam J. Keigwin,
    (916) 651-4008
    (916) 256-5758

PRESS CONFERENCE

Senator Yee to Announce Historic Visit of the Abbott of Shaolin

World famous martial artists from Songshan Shaolin Temple, China to perform in California

Who:
    Senator Leland Yee
    Shi Yanran, Director
    Shi Yansong
    Shi Yanyong
    Shi Yanxing
    Shi Yanlei
    Shi Yanjia

When:
    Friday, March 6, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Where:
    Senator Yee’s District Office
    455 Golden Gate, Suite 14200
    San Francisco, CA 94102

What:
    On March 18th, Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco/San Mateo) will welcome to California the highest figure in Chinese Zen Buddhism, the Abbott of Shaolin, along with a delegation of monks from the Shaolin Temple in Songshan, China. The historic visit will be only the third time in which the Abbott has come to California.

Tomorrow, Senator Yee will discuss the upcoming visit and announce several events and performances of the Shaolin.

The Shaolin Temple, renown for its 1500-year-old martial arts and Buddhist scholars, is the birth place of Zen Buddhism. The monks of Shaolin have won fame and prestige for creating Shaolin Kung Fu, the most well known Chinese martial arts. These teachings are taught throughout the world, with several schools and teaching centers located in California.

###

Adam J. Keigwin | Chief of Staff
    Office of Senator Leland Y. Yee, Ph.D.,
    Assistant President pro Tem
    California State Senate | District 8
    (916) 651-4008 | www.senate.ca.gov/yee
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

you going to post up links to the pictures and photo's from the day when it is over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Of course!

I'll be covering it as much as I can for both KungFuMagazine.com and Kung Fu Tai Chi. It's a historic event for Shaolin and you know I'm on top of that.

I'll be blogging developments here on this thread. The schedule is in constant flux, so stay tuned....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

are you going to be twittering it as it happens?
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Southern California Events

你好!

Abbot Shi Yong Xin will also be traveling to the Los Angeles Shaolin Temple Cultural Center. http://www.shaolinus.org

March 24th and 25th There will be seminars and demos as well as Buddha Hall Inauguration and Taking Refuge Ceremony.

The Los Angeles Shaolin Temple Cultural Center was established in 2007 and is currently located at 9143 La Rosa, Temple City, CA

Also, Master Shi Yan Xu will be holding workshops at the Disneyland Martial Arts Festival on Saturday March 28th. The workshops will cover Zhang Hu Xin Yi Men and Da Hong Quan as well as real world combat applications.

http://www.tournament.info/da-seminar.htm

Funny you should mention twitter, SLL

I've just signed up on twitter and I'm trying to figure it out. It's part of our viral campaign, along with the MySpace and Facebook sites (I'd link the Facebook site, but I haven't figured out how to do that neatly yet - it's a business site). Anyway, right now I have like an audience of 2 on twitter, so I doubt I'll be twittering it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The official press release...

...from just a few hours ago at S.F. City Hall (too long to twitter )

Abbot of Shaolin to Make Historic Third Visit to California

Senator Yee hosts world famous martial artists from Songshan Shaolin Temple, China

SACRAMENTO – On March 18th, Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco/San Mateo) will welcome to California the highest figure in Chinese Zen Buddhism, the Abbot of Shaolin, along with a delegation of monks from the Shaolin Temple in Songshan, China. The historic visit will be only the third time in which Abbot Shi Yong Xin has come to California. Previous Abbots had never visited the United States.

The Shaolin Temple, renown for its 1500-year-old martial arts and Buddhist scholars, is the birth place of Zen Buddhism. The monks of Shaolin have won fame and prestige for creating Shaolin Kung Fu, the most well known Chinese martial arts. These teachings are taught throughout the world, with several schools and teaching centers located in California.

“I am honored to welcome the Abbot and the 1500-year old Shaolin martial arts and culture to our state,” said Senator Yee. “Today, thousands of Californians, of diverse cultural, religious, racial, economic, and social backgrounds, study the teachings of Shaolin.”

In 2004, Senator Yee authored a resolution that proclaimed March 21st as Shaolin Temple Day in California.

This year, along with the China Songshan Shaolin Temple, the Shaolin Temple USA, and the Shaolin Cultural Center, Senator Yee will host a variety of events for Shaolin Temple Day. The 1-1/2 week-long celebrations begin with a welcome for Abbot Shi Yong Xin and his delegation at San Francisco International Airport on March 18; an all-day event at Union Square on March 21; a performance at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts on March 22; a visit to the Capitol and a performance in Sacramento on March 23; and ending with a variety of activities in the Los Angeles area between March 24 and March 29.

The following events are planned for Shaolin Temple Day in California:

Welcoming Abbot of China Songshan Shaolin Temple
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 1:30pm-2:30pm
    San Francisco International Airport, Reflection Room

Shaolin Temple Day Performance – San Francisco
    Saturday, March 21, 2009, 10:00am-5:00pm
    Union Square Plaza, San Francisco

Shaolin Temple Day Performance – San Jose
    Sunday, March 22, 2009, 3:30pm
    San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, San Jose

Shaolin Temple Day Welcome and Performance – Sacramento
    Monday, March 23, 2009,
    12:30pm, Performance at the Masonic Temple, Sacramento
    2:00pm, Welcome in the Senate Chambers

Shaolin Temple Day Celebrations in the Los Angeles Area
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 through Sunday, March 29, 2009
    Various venues in Santa Ana, Temple City, Montebello, Los Angeles, Pasadena, and Anaheim
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"the highest figure in Chinese Zen Buddhism, the Abbott of Shaolin,"

really

I've been pondering that one, ngokfei, since you brought it up...

Can you think of someone higher?

If memory serves, Shi Yongxin holds a seat on People's Congress and is one of the vice-directors (that's probably not the proper title) of the Chinese Buddhist Association. There are higher Chinese Buddhists, but I don't think they are of the Chan (Zen) school. What's more, given the vast public image of Shaolin, I think it's safe to say that they are better known worldwide than any other Chinese sect. I'm guessing that most people on this forum can't even name another Chinese Chan Buddhist abbot. I couldn't do it off the top of my head. I'd have to plumb my notes and articles. It's particularly challenging when you narrow the field to Chinese Chan. I can think of plenty of Buddhist leaders, several Zen leaders and a few Chinese leaders, but Abbot Yongxin is the only one that comes immediately to mind that combines all three.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm guessing that most people on this forum can't even name another Chinese Chan Buddhist abbot.
    Venerable Sheng Yen from Dharma Drum
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

1 point for Shaolindynasty...

...however I thought Sheng Yen was no longer in China. Isn't he in Taiwan now?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Unfortunatley. . .

Master Sheng Yen has passed on.

http://www.ddm.org.tw/event/master_s.../en/index.html

Respect.
    Last edited by wenshu; 03-12-2009 at 12:01 AM.

there is the dhali lama, thats the same as shaolin buddhism right?

[puts on flame coat]

too many suplexes, SLL...

...way too many suplexes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips