Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Journeys

continued from previous

Temple and Cemetery of Confucius (Photograph by kjmagnuson, Flickr)

Five other students, Eyrna, and I share a taxi van to town. The road is jammed with mopeds, overburdened trucks, and every imaginable type of claptrap car, all honking. A few shiny sedans with tinted windows speed past. Roadside stalls sell fruits and vegetables, of which only watermelon looks familiar.

Confucius lived 500 years before Christ; his philosophies, formed during a time of political turmoil, have shaped Chinese culture and thought for more than two millennia. Confucianism is based on ren, a principle of self-discipline and loving others while striving to better one’s mind and body. Paramount is developing a clear head, devoid of anxious thought. Nothing could sound better right now.

We begin our explorations at what some consider the end: the Cemetery of Confucius, outside Qufu’s ancient city wall. A walk on a cypress-lined avenue, filled with excited Chinese visitors, brings us through a blue gate filigreed with gold Chinese script.

We have entered a World Heritage area where, for more than 2,400 years, Confucius’s descendants—some 100,000 so far—have been interred with the pomp accorded the most honored heads of state. My eyes take in burial mounds and stone stelae as plentiful as the cypress and pine trees that form a vast green parasol (one tree is planted for every grave). Statues of officials and animals stand guard. Only the buzz of cicadas and electric tour buses ****zing by disturbs the silence.

Following the surging crowd, we arrive at Confucius’s tomb, a large burial mound covered with flowers and offerings, and fronted by an incense burner and a stela carved with Chinese characters. A feeling of reverence, as I have in cathedrals, floats with the incense smoke on the still air. I watch a Chinese man bow over and over. I imagine he, like me, has aspirations to overcome adversity with a lucid Confucian mind.

The Confucian golden rule states that one must never impose on others what one would not impose on oneself. This gives me pause: I’ve been imposing harsh judgments and demands on myself that I would never impose upon others. Except, maybe, I demand too much of my daughter. I buy a stick of incense and light it. Please help me give myself and Eyrna a break.

A break of sorts comes one morning when my shifu, Shi Xing Lin, tells me—through his translator, Cindy—that I’m doing well for my age. So well that he allows me to skip “power training” to study bagua with Master Wu.

An “internal” style of kung fu, bagua is softer on the joints and can be practiced into old age. Wu Shifu, 69, is a baguazhang master. I respond that I have no intention of skipping anything. My shifu smiles. In that moment I realize he understands I aim to do my very best and know my only enemy is myself.

What he doesn’t know is I’m here for a powerful reason: to come to terms with mistakes I’ve made, the most important of which now is my daughter being without her father.

The minute my daughter was born, I vowed to give her a safe and consistent childhood, perhaps to compensate for my own. My parents were huge drinkers; most nights, it seemed, they were out at a party or brought the party to our house. They probably should not have had children, though I know my father was thrilled when I came along. Still, having grown up during the Great Depression, he didn’t believe in coddling. He did offer help and advice when I asked for it, but that didn’t happen often because he was so busy writing.

There was one thing he enjoyed teaching me, beginning when I was five: how to box. Jab, cross, hook. Jab, cross, hook. He was pleased with my hand-eye coordination. When I took up kickboxing decades later, his instructions came right back to me.

In a way, I’ve brought Eyrna here to learn her own version of jab, cross, hook—as survival skills. It doesn’t escape me that, in Eastern cultures, one’s children are an extension of oneself. In taking on this difficult, ancient martial art, she and I are shaking our fists at recent events in our family life.

Two weeks have passed, and I’ve learned only the first four moves of the tai chi 24-step form, another kung fu discipline. A fundamental move—circling my arms in the correct direction—eludes me. Every morning when I wake, I consider quitting. This must be showing.

“Shifu says when he was a boy, he was very angry to have tai chi practice because it was so slow and boring,” Cindy tells me. “But it became very helpful to him.”

I confide I don’t know why tai chi is so difficult for me.

“Shifu says don’t think, just focus on your qi. Stay only with the first moves,” she advises.

I used to believe “qi,” or life force, was a myth, some kind of legerdemain. But last week, I watched my shifu press the tip of a sharpened spear to the soft space between his collarbones and push his entire weight against it, forcing the wooden shaft to bow to the ground. The spear did not penetrate his skin.

I start my form over, doing my best to empty my mind—which right now is reminding me to get some new running shoes—and think only about breathing into my lower abdomen. I step out with my left leg, bend my knees, bend my arms, circling, not thinking. The movements flow like water. I feel no fear, no regret, no shame, no guilt. I am practicing tai chi. I am here.

“Yeessss,” my shifu says to me in English. I break into a smile and bow to him.

Ancient pine trees tower above the Temple of Confucius, a complex of courtyards and red-walled buildings near Qufu’s center constituting the oldest and largest site dedicated to the thinker. Eyrna and I, nearing the end of our time in China, have come to connect with the man as he was when he was alive.

We make our way through three courtyards to Dacheng Hall, the central edifice, where towering sticks of incense burn in a gigantic cauldron. The pagoda-style roofs glint with touches of gilt. Visitors, mostly Chinese, mill around taking pictures, bowing heads, lighting incense, praying to their ancestors.

My thoughts return to my father, who died before I grew up. What would he have thought of my failures? I know he would have been proud that he raised a fighter.

During my last training session, my shifu instructed each of us students to find a corner in the garden and practice qigong movements. I did, and with time left, stood in a breathing meditation, my palms pressed to my abdomen. Slowly, inexorably, something rose within me, then broke loose. Sobs wracked my being. I was struggling to compose myself—I wasn’t sure what this was about—when I saw the shifu approach with Cindy.

“Shifu says,” Cindy warned me gently, “that you must not go straight from qigong to static meditation. Next time, you must try active meditation. Hold the ball of energy in your hands. Shifu says in a few minutes you will be all right.”

That was grief, I wanted to tell him. But mindful of the need for self-discipline, I didn’t say a word, thanked him, and bowed. Grief—undisciplined, unbalancing—is not the kind of thing you share with your shifu.

Now Eyrna and I sit silently across from Dacheng Hall, on the steps of a building lined with red pillars. A hot breeze whispers past, and red prayer tablets near us jingle like wind chimes.

“I want to come back next summer,” Eyrna says quietly.

I choke up for some reason, and tell her I’m proud of her.

She has had a good time on this journey. She was treated as an adult, pushed to her limits, and judged only on her practice. No one knew about our calamity. Here, she was free.

“You should come back, too,” she says.

“Hmmm.” I want to tell her I understand now why people sell their belongings and join ashrams and monasteries; a life of extreme exercise and meditation looks good to me. I’ve never been in better shape. But in the quiet of this moment, I realize I no longer wish I’d handled anything in the past year differently, or had a different year. My work here, toward Shaolin strength and Confucian calm, is, for now at least, done. I no longer need those running shoes, because I no longer need to run.

Kaylie Jones is the author of several books, including the novel The Anger Meridian. This feature appeared in the August/September 2015 issue of Traveler magazine

> Read It, Do It:

The Qufu Shaolin Kung Fu School located in Shimen Forest National Park 20 miles north of Qufu city—known for its Temple and Cemetery of Confucius World Heritage sites—offers courses in martial arts.
    Another good option: the new Heze Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu School, where shifu Shi Xing Lin now teaches, a hundred miles west of Qufu.
    Anyone here ever study in Qufu? My first trip to China was to Shandong, but we didn't make it to Qufu.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Follow up on the Orchard Hotel tragedy

The initial post on this is here.

Hotels ‘must improve pool safety standards, designs’
    NEA has issued recommended guidelines on safety features in hotel pool design

BY KELLY NG
    kellyng@mediacorp.com.sg PUBLISHED: 10:41 PM, AUGUST 11, 2015

SINGAPORE — Strong parallels between two unrelated cases of teenagers drowning in hotel swimming pools have prompted the State Coroner to call for hotels to improve safety standards and designs of their pools.

Noting that such drownings are “inherently preventable”, Mr Marvin Bay today (Aug 11) said hotels should look to public swimming pools as the “gold standard” for water safety, and have features such as automated external defibrillators on the ready.

The State Coroner’s comments came as he recorded the drownings of Yao Junjie, 12, and Wu Jintang, 15, as “tragic misadventures”.

In both cases, which happened at Hotel Royal and Orchard Parade Hotel, respectively, there were neither lifeguards on duty nor notices on the pool’s depth, he noted. Resuscitation equipment was also absent, he added.

Given that Singapore’s hotels see a sizeable number of foreign students — many of whom, said Mr Bay, are weak- or non-swimmers — the State Coroner said the set of safety messages put out by the National Water Safety Council may not be familiar to visitors.

Following the drowning cases, Hotel Royal said it plans to set up notice boards indicating pool depths and the possible risks of drowning, while ensuring at least one hotel staff who is a competent swimmer is on each of its shifts. The management of Orchard Parade Hotel also told investigators that it started assigning lifeguards by its pool between 7am and 10pm daily since April 13.

The Singapore Tourism Board and Singapore Hotel Association could not respond to TODAY’s queries by press time.

But the National Environment Agency has issued suggested guidelines on safety features in pool design and landscape which call on architects or professional engineers to include water-depth markings at the shallow and deep ends of pools, and at the transition points.

Yao and Wu were in Singapore on separate school trips when they drowned. Yao, a non-swimmer, arrived on Jan 31 for a summer camp with 14 classmates and a teacher.

The students were given a “large measure of free time and free use of (Hotel Royal’s) amenities”, the court was told.

At about 8.20pm on Feb 3, the 1.62m-tall boy jumped into the centre of the hotel’s pool, which was between 1.2m and 2m deep. Within minutes, he was seen struggling. Although Yao’s classmates threw rescue buoys and plastic chairs into the pool to try to help him, they were unsuccessful.

The hotel’s receptionist managed to pull him out of the pool at 8.26pm, but Yao was unresponsive to cardiopulmonary resuscitation by then. He was sent to the hospital that night and pronounced dead nine days later.

In the second case, Wu visited Singapore on a cultural exchange programme with 26 students and two trainers from the Shaolin Wushu Wenwu School on Feb 12.

After a briefing at around 9pm, the students were told to stay in their rooms, but Wu and a few others disregarded instructions and wandered to the hotel’s pool.

Wu jumped into the deepest end of the pool — about 3m-deep — and never surfaced, but was discovered lying motionless on the pool bed only more than 10 minutes later.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital at 11.10pm the same day. Wu’s classmates testified that they had never learnt swimming or been in a pool, and were “excited to see a pool in Singapore”.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a two-fer today

We've been covering the Abbot scandals here.

Foreigners pay tribute to Shaolin Temple
    China.org.cn, August 12, 2015

Foreign disciples from more than 20 countries make pilgrimages to the Shaolin Temple at Songshan Mountain, Henan Province in central China on Aug 11, 2015, to pay tribute to Shaolin abbot Shi Yongxin, who has recently been the subject of a lot of rumors and controversy. [Photo/Shaolin.org.cn]

Around 100 foreign disciples from more than 20 countries around the world visited the Shaolin Temple on Tuesday, Shaolin.org.cn reported. It is also confirmed that Shi Yongxin, the Shaolin abbot who has recently been the subject of a lot of rumors and controversy, attended the ceremony. The foreign disciples bowed down in front of him, waiting for his instruction. [Photo/Shaolin.org.cn]

At the pilgrimage ceremony, the foreign disciples put their palms together devoutly, and paid tribute to Abbot Shi Yongxin. [Photo/Shaolin.org.cn]

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"she got her second-degree black belt from the Shaolin Temple in China"

Well, alright then....

What It's Like to Be a Female Bounty Hunter in Las Vegas
    September 21, 2015
    by Samantha Rea

Uyen Vu

If you get arrested and charged with a crime in America, a judge will generally set your bail—the amount of money you can put down to stay out of jail until your trial. Many people can't afford bail, a situation which has led to some calls for reform, but it's generally possible to get a bondsman to put up bail for you. If you don't show up for court, a warrant will be issued for your arrest and the court sends a notice to the bondsman saying they have 180 days to produce you or forfeit the full bail amount.

That's where Uyen Vu comes in.

Vu is a Las Vegas-based bounty hunter who says she's been shooting guns since she was three and says she got her second-degree black belt from the Shaolin Temple in China; according to her, she's the only active female bounty hunter with a license in the state of Nevada. Bondsmen hire her to bring in the criminals who've skipped bail and sometimes left town.

In the past, she's chased sex workers across state lines in the company of their pimp, and once witnessed an elderly lady scale a six-foot wall. We caught up with her to discuss the ins and outs of her odd career.

VICE: How did you become a bounty hunter?
    Uyen Vu: I grew up watching Bruce Lee movies and I became a martial arts instructor—I owned my own school. After I sold it, I was looking for a change. My friends in law enforcement suggested I try working with them, but I didn't want to wear a uniform, drive a cruiser, or work my way up.

I have a hard time taking orders from people, especially if they're dumber than me. I've been shooting a gun since I was three years old, so they said: "Have you ever thought about being a bounty hunter?" I did some ride-alongs with bounty hunters I got connected with to get the feel of it—and I was hooked!

How do you become licensed as a bounty hunter?
    In Nevada it's an 80-hour course. It's eight hours a day, until the hours are up—no days off. There's a lecture part that lasts three or four days, covering criminal law, how bonds work, and how to work with bail bond agents. Then there's training in firearms and hand to hand combat. I went on to become the instructor for those classes.

How did you start building a name for yourself in this profession?
    When I first started, I went around the bondsmen's offices and they gave me the cases they'd given up on. It was no risk to them—if I didn't solve the case, I wouldn't get paid. So I worked the cases no one else wanted to work anymore and I produced results. That weeds out a lot of people getting into the industry because they can't afford to spend their own time and gas money working these cases. There's a big portion of people who don't make it.

Do any of your past cases stand out as especially interesting?
    There was a prostitute from Reno who skipped bail on a $10,000 bond. I called the guy who'd put up her bail. The file said he was her boyfriend, but I said to him: "Let's be real—you were her pimp." He didn't want to help me find her, but I said, "Right now, you're on the hook for $10,000—just for the bond. I haven't even given you a bill for my services yet." When I investigate people, I charge by the hour—the longer I spend looking for her, the more my fees are going to rack up.

He agreed to help me look for her. I drove six hours to Reno to pick him up from his mother's house. I was wearing my badge, with my gun on a holster. We drove to San Francisco but when we got there, we heard she'd moved on to Santa Maria in California. We drove another six hours. I was tired but it wasn't like I could say, "Hey, you mind taking the wheel for a minute?"

As we were getting to Santa Maria, I started getting frustrated and began wishing to myself: Dear Lord, please, I just want to get there and see her walking around! The funny thing is, a block from the exit, the pimp saw her. We drove towards her, but she saw the pimp and started running. We began to chase her and then the police stopped the car. I told 'em I'm a bounty hunter and I showed them the case file. They said, "You know the rules, you're meant to call us when you're coming into town." I said I just got off the exit and they let us carry on.

So I'm back on the chase and I saw her running ahead. She hops into some random stranger's truck and the pimp says, "What do we do now?" I say, "Dude, she's hopped in some random guy's truck, what's she going to do?" He goes, "She'll probably offer him some services."

The pimp said the girls use a website when they work where they post their pictures, what area they're in, and their rates. So we went to the motel she was staying at and waited for her to show up. Forty minutes later, the truck pulls into the motel. I speak to the motel owner and show him my badge and my case file and ask if this girl was renting a room from him. He points to her room and I said, "I need the keys. If you don't give me the keys, I'm gonna kick your door down and you're gonna have to repair it, so which one d'you want?" The owner's like, "Here's the keys!"

So I go to the door and listen to her talking the guy through her rates. I wait 'til she's into the act, 'cause that way she can't run as fast—then I open the door. She's on her knees and I say, "This is not a good day for you." Then I say to the guy, "Sorry bro but you ain't getting what you think you're getting!"

Are there any other cases you won't forget?
    I had a traffic warrant for a 60-something-year-old lady. She didn't stop at a stop sign, she made an illegal lane change—basic stuff. So we go to this lady's house and I told my partner to cover the back. There's a brick wall at the back of her garden and my partner says, "She's in her 60s and this wall's six feet tall—where's she gonna go?"

So we both go to the front and knock on the door. There's movement in the house—I see the blinds moving. We get into the house but she's run out the back, jumping the six-foot wall. Why would a 63-year-old lady run away from some traffic warrants?

We search the house and upstairs we found a sealed off room where she was growing weed inside. The police confiscated all the weed; she could have avoided that if she didn't hop a wall.

How do you charge for what you do?
    I can charge by the hour, plus a flat rate of $350, or 10 percent of the bond—whichever's greater. As you build up your clientele, you can negotiate your fees. I send an itemized list of my expenses and when I travel out of state, my rate automatically doubles.

Once the defendant is in custody, my payment is due on demand. My clients know I get results. They put a blank check in the mail when I take on a case. If I have a new client, I tell them, "You gotta have the cash when I show up with the defendant in cuffs. If you don't have my money, I turn around and cut 'em loose." I set the tone. Some clients ask me to send a picture, to show I've caught 'em, and I'll say no, they can see them when we physically get there. I'm not here to take pictures for you to post on Facebook.

How do defendants react when you catch up with them?
    They all put on a hard exterior, at first, but the longer the ride to the detention center, the more they simmer down. I've had people crying. I ignore 'em; I don't care. "You want a napkin?" I've had people kneel on the ground and grab me by my leg, begging me. But it would have been easier if you went to court, that's all you had to do.

How do you feel about working in such a male-dominated industry?
    When I first started doing ride-alongs to learn about catching defendants who'd skipped bail, the male bounty hunters would try to spook me out. They'd always tell me to take the back of houses we'd be searching for people, so I'd be stuck in the dark, in the middle of the night every time. They were trying to scare me off and they got kicks out of it. But I dealt with it and I earned their respect. I don't shy away from challenges.

Are the people you go after surprised to meet a female bounty hunter?
    Yes, and that works for me. In the beginning, I would knock on the door and go, "Hey, I'm the girl from the office—they sent me to get some paperwork signed." They'd open the door and then I'd say, "Right, I need you to turn round and put your hands behind your back!"

People underestimate me, but that can be good for my job. I've been told my tattoos make me look intimidating and that's not just for show. If you try me, you'll find it's real. I've told guys before: "This is your first warning, it's also your last. You want to mouth off and be a jerk to me, I'm gonna Taser you. **** you *****—I warned you!" I don't mess around. I'm not there to play games.

What's your plan for the future?
    I just opened up a bail bonds [office], so now I don't just take people to jail, I get 'em out, too. In the future I'd like to open offices in other states. I've kind of got this industry covered.

Follow Samantha Rea on Twitter.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

3 steps, 1 bow

This must have been particularly hard with the rain.

The worship journey to Shaolin Temple (1/3)
    2015-10-26 10:11 Ecns.cn Editor:Yao Lan

Monks and Buddhist devotees prostrate themselves on the ground and move forward slowly, following every three steps with a kowtow in Zhengzhou, Central China’s Henan province. This is the way to express their honest hearts to the Buddha, as they walked from their temple in the province’s Xuchang to Shaolin Temple in Zhengzhou. The journey took them five days to arrive the Shaolin temple. (Photo/CFP)
    It's over 70 miles from Xuchang to Shaolin. That's 14-mile days. They must have been sprinting to make that while observing a 3 steps, 1 bow ritual.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This one is more of a sales pitch than a journey....

This DVD has been pushed hard in the U.K. lately. Plus the article is one of those tourism pieces. And for the record, female monks = nuns

Get to grips with Kung Fu and Shaolin Monks on an action-packed, twin-centre holiday to China
    17:17, 10 DEC 2015 BY JESSICA MELLOR

Treat yourself to a taste of the ancient and modern wonders of the world on a tour of China

The female monk stood only six feet away, perfectly still with a steely gaze. And this being the birthplace of Kung Fu, I was a bit worried.

I was at Songshan *mountain, in China’s Hunan province, and watching the Shaolin monks show off their world-famous fighting skills.

But though they could part me from my breath with a swift, elegant chop, their Kung Fu was beautiful.

China is a country steeped in mysticism and takes its *traditions seriously. It’s also cheap by our standards and very welcoming.

Hungry: Jessica Mellor enjoyed the food on her visit

China is also home to the Shaolin Monks. Recently back from a a summer season at Butlin's and a sellout run at Pea**** Theatre in London where they showed off their incredible skills in a stage show tracing the origins of Shaolin Kung-Fu, the monks are happy to perform for tourists.

Shaolin, their first DVD release in ten years, is out now and it also charts their intriguing journey.

An even better place to see China’s most famous martial art is at the Shaolin Temple, Dengfeng.

A Unesco site, the temple is home to mostly *orphaned children who go through their fierce, gravity-defying *routines without putting a slippered foot wrong.

And just a walk away from the flying fists you can experience a deep peace in the Pagoda Forest. It features a cluster of tombs rising from the earth, some 20ft high. They’re the resting place of the monks’ most *respected abbots and masters.

Acrobatic: One of the monks in action

Songshan is also called Zhong Yue (middle mountain) and is one of the Five Mountains of China. It’s a sacred peak and has been a site of pilgrimage for thousands of years. It also boasts spectacular views of the forests below so a trip skywards in a cable car is a must.

My day of culture in Dengfeng was made *complete by a visit to a restaurant in Dayu Road where I feasted on delicious steamed pork buns, green beans and sweetcorn.

For the Hunan leg of my trip I stayed at the reasonably priced but luxurious Jinpeng Ecology Hotel.

It’s firmly aimed at the tourist trade with English-speaking staff and a Western restaurant serving its own take on European dishes.

But if bird’s nest soup is more your thing head to the hotel’s other, more traditional, eatery.

And for breakfast you don’t need to choose – the vast buffet serves bacon and eggs, rice and tofu and almost everything in-between.

Young: Shaolin monks start training when they are very young

After waving goodbye to the mountains of Hunan I set off north for China’s capital, Beijing.

With its booming economy the city and surrounding area has gone from famine to feast with *construction going on everywhere.

Beijing was full of tourists but most are from China. New-found wealth and mobility – and possibly a pride in the nation’s growing *influence – means provincial Chinese are eager to see the epicentre of their country’s modernisation.

But I was more interested in low-priced bargains so it was a trip to Ladies’ Street, or Lai Tai, for me.

More than 700 stalls are laden down with clothes, shoes, bags, electronics and costume jewellery.

Training: Jessica is put through her paces

The stall-holders are game for a bit of bartering too so there’s every chance you’ll get the prices down. Once your bags are full Lai Tai has nail bars and stalls where you can get a shoulder massage.

An exciting way to see Beijing is on a night tour that takes in the ruined city walls and a sunset view of the Forbidden City.

You’ll also see the Donghuamen Night Market. At first glance the neat stalls seem to be selling fruit, but look closer and you’ll see the *specialities include scorpions, frogs, worms, snake and squid.

The sellers will try to tempt you into having a taste and it would be almost rude to say no. But if insect on a stick is all too much you can sample the fruit as you watch the frantic selling going on all around.

More touristy goods are sold in the shops beside the market – such as good quality toys, Chinese-style clothes and trinkets. The stores stay open late but beware pickpockets.

A daytime visit to the Forbidden City is another must. Surrounded by a wide moat and wall, 26 emperors called it home from the Ming dynasty in 1420 until 1912.

New: New film celebrating the skills of the Shaolin Monks

It’s open to *tourists from Tuesday to Sunday and entry costs just £5 (kids go free). Bring your passport to buy tickets and go early to avoid the crowds – it opens at 8am.

My room at the Marriott Northeast was a bargain too. You could get lost in the bathroom and the bed was wide enough for a family.

My Chinese trip showed me some wonders of the world.

But my biggest wonder was about how it can stay so cheap.

Go there soon.

SHAOLIN from the Shaolin Monks is out now DVD, Blu-ray and Digital Download.

FACTFILE: Beijing Marriott Hotel Northeast, deluxe room, £109 a night, marriott.com. Jinpeng Ecology Hotel, deluxe *doubles from £52 a night

jinpengecologyhotel.com/en/index.asp . Air China flies to Beijing from the UK from £530 return, airchina.com . For details on the Shaolin temple, visit * shaolin.org.cn/en/index.aspx . For the Beijing night tour see tour-beijing.com/night_tour .
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Elizabeth Lazan

Actress Elizabeth Lazan stays focused with Shaolin gongfu

Photo: Sharon Leisinger

Ms Lazan took ballet lessons when she was young and participated in various sports in school. At CHIJ (Katong) Primary, she ran for the school team. She also played netball for CHIJ Katong Convent. "I would train about three times a week after school," she said. "Sports was my favourite escape from studying."

She has tried Muay Thai and is now into Shaolin gongfu. A Singaporean of mixed parentage, she moved to Los Angeles about a year ago and returns here for various projects. The Fly Entertainment artist is married to Mr Ivan Lee Mora, a glass artist and designer.

Q. How important is it for you to keep up with your fitness routine?
    A. It is really necessary for me, not just physically, but because I also do get impatient or restless when I have too long a lull period. I hike in a park or nature reserve as I enjoy exercising outdoors.
    My fitness gear goes with me wherever I travel. I will always find a way to squeeze in a morning run or do some toning repetitions.

Q. What do you like about Shaolin gongfu?
    A. I picked it up in Los Angeles, California, about a year ago and I train one-on-one with a teacher at an outdoor park.
    The thing I love about it is that it combines mental and physical well-being. You learn how to stay focused and disciplined, while simultaneously training for overall health, flexibility and stamina.

Q. What is your secret to looking fabulous?
    A. I truly believe that by maintaining a balanced lifestyle and healthy mind, you will have a healthy body and a healthy glow.

Photo sources: The Straits Times, My Paper, Sharon Leisinger

Q. Has there ever been a time when you were not fit and fab?
    A. During my university days in Australia, I regularly ate unhealthy or fast food including pizza and pastries. Naturally, I put on weight.
    I had a reality check when I returned to Singapore. I realised I had to take better care of my body and health.

Q. What is your diet like?
    A. I'm always hungry. So I take many small meals throughout the day to keep my hunger in check.
    I also limit my carbohydrate intake to only one meal a day as well as abstain from eating meat twice a week.
    And once a week, I give myself a cheat day and have my favourite ice cream.

Q. What are your indulgences?
    A. My kryptonite is definitely chocolates and cookies.

Q. How do you maintain a healthy work-life balance?
    A. I go to the beach, listen to live music, binge on Netflix or go on a hike.

I find it therapeutic to be active and be surrounded by nature. No matter how busy I get, I will always find a way to wind down with one of these activities.
    Q. What are the three most important things in your life?
    A. Family, friends and travelling.

Q. What's your favourite part of your body?
    A. It's hard to compliment yourself but people say I have nice arms and I have to say that they are also my favourite.
    My least favourite would be my ears because they stick out.
    No idea who she is but IMDB says she was in Shinobi Girl, which I keep meaning to watch.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Shaolin basketball

What is it with NBA players and Shaolin?

NBA star Dwyane Wade visits Shaolin Temple, learns Kung Fu
    2016-07-19 17:46:35 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Min Rui

NBA star Dwyane Wade on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 visited the Shaolin Temple in central China, which is considered the cradle of Chinese Kung Fu. Wade has also picked up some Kung Fu skills from a master. [Photo courtesy of Zhang Mengke]

NBA star Dwyane Wade visited Shaolin Temple, the cradle of Chinese Kungfu in central China, and learned a kind of Shaolin Kungfu on Tuesday.

After enjoying a Kungfu Show, Wade was invited to the stage to learn a kind of Shaolin Kungfu named "Eagle Fist" , which imitated eagle's action.

Following a martial arts coach, Wade imitated seriously and ended to applause and cheers.

Zhengzhou, a city of central China, was the second stop of 2016 Wade China Tour after the 34-year-old visited Shanghai. Afterwards, he will go to Shijiazhuang in Hebei province and the Chinese capital Beijing.

12-time All-Star Wade will play in Chicago next season after 13 seasons with three-time NBA champion Miami.

Shaolin Temple, located on Songshan Mountain in Zhengzhou in central China's Henan Province, is a 1,500-year-old temple regarded as the cradle of Chinese Kungfu.

NBA star Dwyane Wade on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 visited the Shaolin Temple in central China. [Photo courtesy of Zhang Mengke]

NBA star Dwyane Wade on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 visited the Shaolin Temple in central China, which is considered the cradle of Chinese Kung Fu. Wade has also picked up some Kung Fu skills from a master. [Photo courtesy of Zhang Mengke]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A two-fer today

The Head and the Heart’s Kenny Hensley Went to China to Study Kung Fu and Got His A** Kicked
    "We stayed for a month out in the country at this little school and just got our asses kicked every day."
    July 19, 2016 8:55 AM
    Filed Under: the head and the heart

(Jay Tilles/Radio.com)

By Radio.com Staff

After a long and successful tour promoting their 2013 album, Let’s Be Still, The Head and the Heart members opted to take some much needed time off—nearly a year. While guitarist Jonathan Russell was on a charitable trip to Haiti and bassist Chris Zasche toured the Pacific Northwest in a camper van, pianist Kenny Hensley jumped at the chance to fulfill a childhood dream of studying Kung Fu in China. But unlike his dream, he found his limits tested while training a grueling twelve hours a day, thousands of miles from home.

“My good friend and high school buddy, Kurt, had always talked about going to China and living at a Kung Fu school just doing it for the experience.” Just before Hensley left for the trip his friend jumped on board. Hensley describes breaking boards and bricks with his bare hands. “We stayed for a month out in the country at this little school and just got our asses kicked every day. It sucked.”

Then, as if learning a skill in a foreign country wasn’t enough, Hensley returned to Los Angeles to earn his pilot’s license.

The Head and the Heart’s new album Signs of Light is set for release Sept 9. Watch the band perform live in the Red Bull Sound Space at KROQ today (July 19) at 2:00pm PT.
    I don't really know this band. Should I?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dwyane Wade falls for the Shaolin fake out

I was going to comment on the original post that the 'monks' didn't look like official Shaolin reps, but it's been a long time since I've been there, so I refrained. Looks like some things haven't changed.

Dwyane Wade was escorted around Shaolin Temple by fake Shaolin monks

China runs rampant with fakes, a fact that Dwyane Wade should be aware of as he embarks on his latest collaboration with Li-Ning. On his China tour to promote his new "Way of Wade" brand, Wade was given a first-hand lesson in this during his stop at the world-famous Shaolin Temple, where he was escorted around by a pair of fake monks.
    During his time at Shaolin, Wade and his wife was photographed burning incense and learning kung fu with the help of his wise monk guides. But after further inspection of those photos, it turns out that the "monks" weren't wearing the correct clothing and weren't from Shaolin. Furthermore, the temple has denied that it ever organized a tour for the visiting NBA superstar.
    In a statement, Shaolin Temple detailed how the publicity behind the illegitimate event had "confused netizens and negatively impacted Shaolin Temple's reputation." The 1,500 year old temple that is considered to be the birthplace of kung fu, has also threatened legal action against the individuals who damaged their sterling reputation.

Along with the statement, the temple attached some pictures, pointing out how the man in the orange robe wasn't dressed properly for a monk and that none of the Shaolin monks recognize the man. Although it isn't clear if Wade's guides were monks or not, they definitely did not come from Shaolin.

Well, it's no wonder that he was so bad at kung fu then! Seriously, though, how weird is this?
    By Sarah Lin
    [Images via People's Daily / Shaolin Temple]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a blog

How I Lived As A Buddhist Monk Learning Kung Fu From Shaolin Masters And How You Can Too
    3 days ago by wmeara50 in travel

We’ve all seen the Kung Fu movies of Ip Man, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Hero to name a few. Years growing up watching the Big Big Movie on Saturday nights entailed parking up on the couch with popcorn wincing at Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee tore through foes. I always found myself fascinated by martial arts and put myself in imaginary fight situations where I was a bad ass Kung Fu master taking names and kicking ass.

However, now I’m a person who has found an addiction to breathwork and meditation. In my search for meditation, Zen and similar retreats in China, I spoke to anyone who would listen to see if they knew anything. After reaching out to several temples, monasteries and even monks on LinkedIn (Yup, even they're on it), all my leads led to dead ends. Eventually, a tip off from a fellow traveller of a monastery high in the mountains near the Ancient Town of Dali in South West China that takes pupils came across my path. I looked into it and found another traveller who had blogged his experience here and it seemed right up my alley.

Things you need know before you go to Wu Wei Si:

*Go on Friday evening to get the start of the training week which begins on Saturday morning.
    *The cost is 500 Yuan for the week, non refundable if you feel you can’t hack it and want to wimp out.
    *Lights out is 9:30pm so that means you are in bed at that time and not getting ready for bed.
    *You’ll need a scarf or towel for balancing boulders on your head. It’ll be rather painful without one.
    *You have the option of Tai Chi or Kung Fu. One in internal and one is external. DO NOT mistake Tai Chi as the easy option.
    *Do your laundry before as hot water isn’t really available in large amounts. You’ll also use most of your free time sleeping.
    *Have good shoes for training as the training field can get rather slippery when it rains.
    *Bring plenty of toilet paper, you’re going to need it.
    *It’s colder up in the mountains than below in Dali so bring some warmer clothes.
    *Unless you really want to test your dietary discipline, bring some dried fruit, nuts and biscuits in a hard lunchbox for snacking on.
    *There is a small library here but bring your own as you’ll have a few breaks to fill.
    *There is no fruit served so vitamin intake is low. Bring a few multivitamins.
    *There is no washing machine so all washing is done by hand. Have plenty of socks with you.
    *If you want to sleep through morning prayer and the night time prayer closing the day, I advise bringing some ear plugs. I actually liked the singing so usually stayed up to listen to it but it’s not for everyone.
    *Bring a torch. Dear god bring one, moving about in the dark is treacherous. Each doorway has a lip at the bottom that *I fell over a few times. Luckily avoiding anyone catching this rather embarrassing debacle.
    *Bring some tea bags, at night before bed you can enjoy a hot cuppa before hitting bed. Go for herbal teas though. *Caffeine will keep you awake and when you’re up at 5:30am every morning to the sounds of bells, singing, gongs, bowls and drums, you’ll really need every bit of sleep you can get.

While in Yangshou cycling through the thundering rains in nothing but a sweat vest and a pair of swimming shorts (it really was that rainy, imagine brown river water bursting its banks and cycling knee deep through water hoping you are on a path and you are somewhere close), I slipped from my bike landing onto my camera smashing its lens and putting my back into serious disarray. When I arrived in Dali, I contemplated giving up on my dream of finding this temple in the clouds to let my shoulder heal. Not to be beaten, I waited 7 days in the old town with no improvement yet deciding to make my way up the mountain anyway. Upon packing up my bag and saying goodbye to my new found friends, I started on my way.

I arrived into a gravelled area with a small monk, wearing a jade encrusted garment and prayer beads, with a whispy black beard crawling out from his chin, standing at the top of an immaculately clean footpath. Confused as to whether I walked up further towards the large leering Buddhas or otherwise, I approached the monk and said Wu Wei Si while making some “Kung Fu Gestures”. I now realise how ridiculous that was as this was the Shifu (master). I walked down the path that was lined with flowers, giant trees, squirrels and bamboo to arrive in a courtyard that hosted a small group of Chinese people sheltering under a tree. I wandered around the temple grounds, through the various chambers for anyone who would see me and know why I was there. Eventually, I approached one of the group who miraculously spoke very broken english. She went wandering for me only to return with the message “Not today, you come back tomorrow”. Disheartened I waited for another two hours until I turned tail and headed back to town.

I woke up at 4:30am next morning, brought my friend Anja with me and made my way back up to the monastery. This time I could hear the thump of drums banging, gongs roaring and bells ringing in the distance. Following the noise, we stumbled upon a Ukrainian man who beckoned us in and told us that the person we needed to talk to would be along any minute. After the formalities of passport checking, I was asked as to whether or not I wanted to do Tai Chi or Kung Fu. I went for Tai Chi or ‘internal Kung Fu’ to further my meditative research.

Before beginning, I was made read two sheets of rules that I was to abide by. Failure to comply with these rules as set out by the master would result in being expelled. You can see the rules below which are a little outdated the schedule has seemingly changed a lot.

My room was a small 3×5 meter space with two wooden beds. I scavenged a few blankets, pillows and other pieces from nearby empty rooms to make a comfortable nest. I noticed a rat running out the door as I began putting my sheets on. This wasn’t the first time Speedy Gonzales made himself known to me or his many brothers and sisters. In the middle of the night when the scrabble and squeaking would begin I’d sit bolt upright and begin clapping like a mad man to scare them away and let them know I was watching. I’m sure the monks and my neighbours thought I was mad. I did learn however that you dare not leave anything edible in your room and if you did, leave it in plain sight….if it’s in your bag, that’s the fastest way to put a hole in it.

My room with a view. You can see my food bowl and chop sticks. A bigger bowl is used on days where we were served noodles. There is no power or light in any of the rooms.
    Some times I’d return from training to find a few solid raisin looking pieces of rat **** on my bed. You simply flick it off and go to sleep. Monk life! Each day went as follows:

5:30am

One of the monks (with a lovely voice mind you), begins singing prayer and slamming a bell larger than a Ford Fiesta with a very large log. Every part of your body wants to stay in your wooden monastic bed, but when this bell is merely 10 meters from your ear, you’re soon lying there wide awake staring in the dark. Oh that’s right, no electricity and no light. I fell in love with the singing and the bell really helps you focus your way into the day. Click below to hear him in action.

6:00am

Prayer in the temple begins. I have no idea what they are saying as I haven’t a word of Chinese but I kneel there facing large painted statues of Buddha while my hands stay in prayer position and I try and stay awake. Now and again, I follow suit and bow down or walking in a conga line like fashion while everyone else chants the prayers. You hear the prayers so much that after a while you almost learn the words, but yet you’ve no idea what they mean. Kind of like learning essays for leaving cert Irish.

continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

7:00am

I gather with the other pupils and take a short run around the mountain to the river where we pick a stone, place it on our head and go back to the monastery. The view over the valley is amazing. Every day when you wake up and your back is aching, as soon as you put that boulder on your head and your posture straightens up, you’re ready for the day of training ahead. Each day, I tried to get a bigger and bigger rock. Being slightly competitive, I try to get back first. As you walk back, as with the buddhist way, you walk left around things including statues and staircases. Making your way round the mountain and down the 100 or so steps past a 1200 year old tree, older than any of the buildings that have been ravaged by communist bandits or warring states, you get a real sense of ancient wisdom in this place.

Getting back quicker gives me time to practice my form and do some stretching before training starts.

Tai Chi is essentially the art of squatting. Everything we did involved moving from squat to squat, stretching in squats and holding positions in squats…often as punishment. The ****ing burn can kill and then you’ll hear… “lower….LOWER”. With so much squatting it’s important to stretch and lord god did we stretch and then stretch some more.

8:00am

The clanging bell rings out over the training fields. This bell is not like the others and it’s a bell tone I fell in love with. It means food. In this case it’s breakfast. More often than not it’s rice noodles, wheat noodles or stuffed buns that all comes with a large bowl of rice porridge. It may not sound glorious when I’m explaining it here but trust me, hunger is the best sauce. Everything is vegetarian here and the old women who work there honestly make eating vegetarian an absolute joy. I’d nearly go as far as to say it’s the highlight of the place and that’s saying a lot. So you get a bowl and chopsticks. These are yours for the entire time you are here. You clean them and keep them safe in your room. When walking into the dining hall, it is mandatory to approach the table where the master sits and to say “Amitofu”. It took me four days before I realised what it actually meant. It basically means a multitude of things, depending on how it is used. It can be a greeting, a salutation, a blessing, or it can mean “please”. When the master chanted Amitofu, we held a silence with hands together until he ate. When he did, we dived in. There are chop sticks on the table for putting food into your bowl but you daren’t eat with these….you have your own. Eating is done in silence and you are to sit up straight to work on your posture. Eating is seen as a meditative exercise almost. When you leave your table you leave your bowl and chopsticks down, greet every table with Amitofu in 2’s or 3’s and then grab your **** and leave. The master usually left before me but he had a special cushion, towel for his face and a large black bowl (ours was the size of a small white sugar bowl).

Afterwards, the master and a few others gather in the courtyard and practice prayers with the master correcting the monks and others on how they are sung, to what rhythm and the pace. I sit in the outer circle listening but more watching how the master is. On one occasion he answered his phone mid practice and on another occasion he saw someone he recognised and started shouting to them across the courtyard while the rest were still singing. Not sure how mindful he was but he was certainly an entertaining character to witness. It turns out that the director of Kung Fu Panda spent some time here for inspiration…

9:00am

Training starts. That’s right, more stretching, holding kung fu poses and stretching each other. We spend 20 minutes massaging the muscle in each others backs and ripping the arms off each other. After this is done, we gather in groups of threes. To rip the legs off each other. This is painful but I learnt to love it as I became more flexible than I have ever been before. They show no mercy.

Next, now that our legs feel like jelly we move onto the basics. These are the movements that make up the forms of Tai Chi. They are simple but to get them right with breathing I had sweat beating down my face. Even in the rain we would continue training. After running through the basics we would add new parts to our form. To those of you who aren’t too familiar with Tai Chi, to the untrained eye it looks like a slow dance but in actuality you are fighting multiple opponents in very slow motion. There is theory to the movement and there is a lot to be learnt from every stroke of your hand or lift of your leg.

12:00pm

After three hours of training, the bell for lunch rings out again. This time, we’re ravenous. Usually after finishing everything on our table, the left overs from other tables that the deciples or monks haven’t finished get moved to our table where we sit like vultures waiting for the scraps to land. Again the monks gather to pray and sing in the courtyard. I went the first few days.

12:30pm

This is the free time we have for the day between training session. At the beginning, I would spend every minute of it sleeping setting my alarm to get up and begin the grind all over again. Then I moved to exploring the grounds, speed reading through books with a focus I’ve never had before and discovering the other areas of the monastery. Wandering and climbing behind the walls of the temple I found a lonely grave. No idea who it belonged to but it seemed rather important.

I also found a walkway up the mountain to a new temple they were building that was to become a meditation centre. Insanely huge and impressive, you are left jaw dropped when looking around. It was very clear that there is money coming into this place. I was told before coming to the monastery by some practicing buddhists who have had some experience to be wary of temples charging lots of money for training etc. However, in the time I was there I did see people counting bags of money by candle light on the floor in one room on enight, special guests who would attend dinner with the master and other ways they seemed to raise funds. They seemed to be expanding and adding to the monastery all the time. Either way, the place looked very impressive and it worked out €75/week including all meals (three per day), accommodation and training so I was pretty delighted with myself.

4:00pm

Training resumed with more leg ripping torture, practicing form and going over the basics.

continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous post

6:00pm

Dinner with all the usual bells and whistles. As was normal, not a scrap was left on the table. Anything that fell from your bowl had to be eaten. There were occasions where a scrap of spinach or a few grains of rice would fall from my bowl and I’d have to pick it up with my chop sticks and shove it down. Eating had to be done with the bowl in your hand and even if you are spoken to by another person at your table, you most definitely should not reply. Now, I’m a chatter box so I nearly broke this rule all the time. That didn’t go down to well. There are a few people who have been there a while either teaching or staying there who make a good deal to point out if you do anything wrong at dinner time. Almost to show you how in tune with monastery life they are. When really, others and often the master doesn’t mind all that much. We were told that we can fill our bowls but not eat before the master gives his blessing. As I began to do so, one woman began in a loud voice that it was only rice that this was allowed for only for her to be shushed by the master and for her to blush. Now these are really really lovely people and I miss them all but it’s just interesting to witness.

7:00pm

Evening prayer begins with a large smack of the bell and everyone making their way to the temple. After trying this out a few times, I decided to stop attending and using the free time to practice my form, do some breathing exercises and chat with the other pupils. While it’s still bright and before I’m left feeling my way around in the dark, I try to get my teeth washed and fill my food bowl with hot water to clean myself with an old t-shirt. I soon learnt there were showers I could use. After seeing the showers, I continued to use my bowl and even found a basin after a few days.

Their new meditation centre higher up the mountain isn’t open to outsiders yet as far as I know but you can catch a glimpse of the beauty. I snook around to get a glimpse through a gap in the door. Simply stunning
    On one occasion I was sitting in a pagoda in my evening free time just outside the temple doing some stretches and breath-work on my own when three Chinese tourists popped along. As is usual, they all wanted pictures…something you get rather used to in China. If you say no, they take them anyway so you just get used to being pleasant about it. Two wandered away and one woman asked could she copy what I was doing. I started doing my breathing exercises and when finished she was about to go on her merry way when the Master came out of the side entrance making an angry face and shouting at me. I never understand what he’s saying so I do the usual “Amitofu” you have to say every time you see him. He walks around storms up the steps and begins shouting at me in Chinese. Still confused I just stand there with a smacked look on my face. The woman begins saying sorry and starts trying to get my WeChat details while at the same time he begins dragging me back into the temple courtyard.

A few moments later, I’m joined by my English speaking trainer (who is absolutely incredible) who essentially says that I shouldn’t have been alone with a woman. You see, the accommodation there is split into female/male and never the two shall meet. A man and woman can’t be alone together but I think what really irked him was the fact I was doing Pranayama with the woman, something the temple doesn’t teach and was possibly and embarrassment for monastery? I don’t know really. I found the whole thing rather entertaining but I was told that if anything like that happened again (sitting with a woman), that I’d be kicked out for good. Apparently this is the first time this had happened with the master in the entire 2.5 years my English speaking trainer had been there. Typical.

9:00pm

You can gather some hot water in a thermos for your room. A bell sounds and the singing begins again just as it did in the morning with the clambering and chanting. You can wander around a little but it’s so dark you won’t even see the statues of Buddha you are to bow to. I try get to the spring that gives water from the mountain. All natural springs have been privatised in China so this is the last one and often there are cars that pull up to the two bamboo pipes that peep out from a rock engraved with Chinese characters, filling huge containers and every bottle they have in their possession. I drank mountain water everyday, sometimes with grit in it but man it was fresh and cooling.

9:30pm

Lights out and everyone is to make their way to bed. Pitch black, complete silence and the muscles aching in every part of your body make a great tonic for sleep. If in the middle of the night you need to go to the toilet, you are in for a real treat. If you are lucky enough to have any battery in your phone for torch or a light source, good for you. Mine had all gone so I was left playing the role of a blind man leaving the temple and walking down the path to the toilet building. I say toilet but I really mean, gutter. You squat over a tiled gutter, do your business and make your way back. With literally no light, you can imagine how much of a nightmare this was. Close your eyes….do it, right now and keep them closed….now imagine going to the toilet with ease. Exactly…

If you want to try this out for yourself, tweet me @happiness_ie and I'll tell you everything you need to know about getting to this once in a lifetime place.
    We haven't discussed Wu Wei Si much here. It's hard to search for beyond searching for Dali. I'm copying this to our short Wu Wei Si thread too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine offering

Ever dream of going to Shaolin? Read The Shaolin Experience by Chris Friedman
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips