Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No desires?

ninja turtle Guest

No desires?

I've been working on this for a while now- but in an ultimate/complete sense- is it truly possible? Lacking desire for material things is easy, but food, water and women? When I get hungry or thirsty- I get hungry or thirsty- my stomach starts to eat itself if the munchies are too late. The last part(opposite sex- for some, same sex.) I can picture as possible, but highly improbable. Denying yourself the activity is one thing, but, just not having that desire...... ? I mean, I used to think about sex every seven seconds in high school- to stop completely would be like a heroin addict quitting cold turkey- but heroin is bad, and so are desires.

My girlfriend will be ****ed.....

ninja turtle Guest

this

So you guys had no desire to respond....
    I'm working on that one, too.

joedoe Guest
    Sorry dude, just didn't have much to say :)

I think it is a good goal to have, but don't be discouraged if you have trouble reaching it. It is an extremely difficult goal to achieve.

Keep trying, but have fun too.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

woliveri Guest

One foot on the train and the other on the station

It's one or the other. No man can serve two masters..

Take a look at:
    Life and teaching of the Masters of the Far East
    by Baird T. Spalding

Take a look at my Signature below as well.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
    There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

joedoe Guest
    Quote:
    One foot on the train and the other on the station

It's one or the other. No man can serve two masters..

Was that directed at me?

If it was, then I don't see why having fun and eliminating desire are two different things.

If not, then ignore this :)

Braden Guest
    You shouldn't cultivate no desires. You should cultivate no attachments. There is a subtle difference.

joedoe Guest
    Good point Braden :)

tanglangman Guest
    There's a difference between the things that we need and the things that we desire. You need food and water to live and as for sex, try looking at it like this.

Once we fulfill an intent brought on by desire then the desire is no longer there. Say for instance you desire a play station 2 once you have one the desire to own one has gone and you will never desire one again (unless stolen or something) the point being that for some cases this is not true. Like sex for instance, once you have fulfilled this desire you know that it will return again and again the same goes for food and drink.

Celestial Amiboshi Guest

Piffle

Piffle, I say. You need food and drink to live, but not sex. You won't die if you don't have sex nor will it affect you negatively. Honestly, it's just an archaic instinct and it's pathetic that you allow yourself to be controlled by it. I don't have the desire for sex and you know what? I am THANKFUL for it. I live a free life and am not under the tyranny of my hormones. A few of my brother's friends go down to bars every weekend just looking for women who are willing to have sex with them and when they don't they actually suffer. I think its ridiculous! :rolleyes:

"Love is something which is never meant to last. It is but a flower that blooms and then withers away."

joedoe Guest
    Never heard of DSB? :)

The sex urge is a primal instinct, and should not be simply ignored. It can be controlled, but it is nature's way of ensuring the survival of the species. Don't fight it too much :)

Having said that, while I enjoy looking at beautiful women I am not a slave to my sex drive. I agree that it is a good feeling to not be controlled by my hormones.

Celestial Amiboshi Guest
    No, I haven't heard of DSB. Enlighten me. Anyway, I am not ignoring an urge, what I'm saying is that I have absolutely no urge at all. This is the 21st century and we are civilized and evolved begins. Sex should begin to have a diminished role but unfortunately it doesn't.

Now, I do consider myself to be somewhat of an aesthete. I also enjoy beautiful things but I would never consider any woman to be a sex object as you seem to be doing. That is incredibly shallow. Whatever happened to connecting with someone on the mental level? I hope one day to have a very cerebral but also emotional relationship with a woman one day, one that is untainted by banal desires.

"Love is something which is never meant to last. It is but a flower that blooms and then withers away."

joedoe Guest
    DSB is Dangerous Sperm Buildup. It's a joke :).

Don't assume that because I like to look at beautiful women that I am treating them as sex objects and am a shallow person. Get to know someone before you pass judgement. Where did I ever say that because I look at beautiful women that I treat them as sex objects?

My girlfriend would disagree on your premature assessment of me.

joedoe Guest
    You sound like you have never had a relationship with a woman. If you had, then you would know that physical desire is an integral part of a healthy relationship. You seem to have lofty ideals on what a relationship should be like.

Welcome to the real world. Most healthy women would eventually become bored with a purely intellectual relationship.

Celestial Amiboshi Guest
    I'd like to know how you're able to speak for all healthy women? Perhaps any women out there on the forum would like to post an opinion?

Anyway, my ideals may be lofty, but I will never abdandon them. A relationship based on the mind and emotions only, is pure. I will never settle, either. If I don't find someone to share my life with, then so be it. :)

joedoe Guest
    Do you have a reading problem? I didn't say all healthy women, I said most healthy women. Contrary to popular belief, women enjoy sex as much as men do. There are also just as many men out there who are uninterested in sex as there are women. MOST women would find a non-physical relationship unsatisfying I think, as would most men.

Good luck to you in your quest for your perfect relationship. I sincerely hope you find it, because a lot of people don't.