Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Bak Mei a 5 animal style or is the emphasis on Leopard-Tiger?

Is Bak Mei a 5 animal style or is the emphasis on Leopard-Tiger?

Hi,

Though there are not any Bak-Mei instructors in my area, I have always found the style interesting. I was reading somewhere once that Bak Mei had more of an emphasis on Tiger and Leopard forms(similar to Hung Ga having Tiger-Crane and Wing Chun having Snake-Crane?) but somewhere else I read that BM was a 5 animal style.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks

LTN

Blog Entries
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

tanks for the link, i need to look more into this style bak Mei...i really need to run a search of old threads...didn't everything from the 70's to around 911 get lost in the great forum change many moons ago?.

Smile

Wow, blast from the past. Thanks for reviving it.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    didn't everything from the 70's to around 911 get lost in the great forum change many moons ago?.
    This forum did not exist in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    The Internet as we know it did not exist in the 70s.
    It started as "DARPANET".....

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    The Internet as we know it did not exist in the 70s.
    It started as "DARPANET".....
    sounds like metal gear solid
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    old joke...thought I would run with it...peace

Talking Bm

The way I understand it, Tiger and Leopard are the the styles that are used to explain the way the style is but it doesn't necessarily emphasize these animals over others. All are used(in my experience). If there is a preference of of certain animals it would be the Dragon, tiger, and leopard. The body of the Dragon, the Spirit of the Tiger, and the footwork and speed of the leopard.

I don't know if I have explained it correctly or not but I hope this gives one a better understanding of the style.

I for one see a lot of similarities to Southern Crane.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    old joke...thought I would run with it...peace
    I don't get the joke but ok!

I think Bak Mei is an awesome style - but any reference to "animals" is a purely academic / philosophical discussion which detracts from developing the spirit of the style (raw aggression). Call it tiger, leopard, psychotic human being on drugs, wart-hog, etc. - the words may be different but the meaning is the same.

La - AQ

Quote Originally Posted by Ao Qin View Post
    I think Bak Mei is an awesome style - but any reference to "animals" is a purely academic / philosophical discussion which detracts from developing the spirit of the style (raw aggression). Call it tiger, leopard, psychotic human being on drugs, wart-hog, etc. - the words may be different but the meaning is the same.

La - AQ
    Huh?
    In TCMA animals encompass different techniques, attributes, strategies, etc.

Warthog Fu - now that's an image to ponder....

Now, here's something to complicate the issue. Animals are buddhist constructs from Shaolin. Pak Mei is Taoist in origin with Hakka family styles applied. I don't find much in common with Pak Mei and Shaolin derived styles. The breathing is the characteristic that most aligns it with the Daoist origins. The attitude is another.

Vietnamese have applied lots of buddhist constructs to Pak Mei that other branches haven't, just to further muddy the waters.

My interpretation of the couplet is that Sifu can teach you only so much. As any good Pak Mei Sifu will reinforce, to learn Pak Mei, you must make it your own, you must practice extensively to discover the higher level. A roadmap is not the same thing as a destination. You must walk your path alone, or be forever dependent and crippled.

The tiger and leopard elements are the raw agression, the 'rip the skin of their face' element, the total comittment to ravage your prey. Likewise, the use of the hands, fingers, phoenix fist to maim your opponent, break joints, etc.

I've heard it said that the leopard element is the lateral movement, the sok sau, sei ma, etc. Just another thought to ponder.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Question Yum Cha

What about snake, dragon, and crane in Bak mei?

Talking Taoist?

Hello all,

From what I understand Bak Mei was buddhist and not Taoist. I think that HB Un's book caused some of the missconception. Shaw Brothers caused some and the Hung Gar legends caused the rest.

For a better explaination you might want to check out Dr. Wong's website.

http://www.dryqwong.com/

Anyway(this is my take), the whole legend that Bak Mei was evil started it all. From I can gather it was created by the Hung Gar people that were trying to kill Bak Mei. From there the legend grew and every lineage has their own take on it.

Some say that he simply decided not to fight and therefore he was a traitor. Others say that he was the "Judas" of the group. Others state that he was a spy for the rebels, caught, and the lives of his student's threatened and he therefore left the resistance.

Either way, he was labeled a traitor to Shaolin and people tried to kill him.

At the time, Wudang and Shaolin were considered rivals. I suppose it was due to the fact that their opinions on religion differed. I suppose that rivalry helped Bak Mei change from a Monk who helped the Shaolin escape the fire to a Taoist who is already an "enemy" of Shaolin. That coupled with the fact that Hung Gar was considered Shaolin by the majority made the change one that made sense.

The Shaws took the legend and ran with it, creating some great films.

This enhanced the BM/Taoist thing.

Then Ub Un's book came out and flat out called BM a taoist. However, he also stated that CLC was wearing Taoist robes yet they are clearly Shaolin.

Now, Man of the Tao doesn't exactly mean taoist priest. It can but not always. It can also mean a man that follows a Taoist way of life. It can also mean a renaissance man.

SO, while I understand while one might think that BM was taoist, I don't think that he was. '

Once again, I will suggest that you guys check out Dr. Wong's site. He can explain it better than I. Also, I don't think that the Vietnamese were the one's who first added all the Buddhist aspects of the style. Especially considering the since "all BM comes from CLC", CLC's teacher CHut Fat Wan is always seen (in pictures) wearing the Buddhist robes. As is CLC himself. Chut fat wan is also usually called a Shaolin Monk.

I hope this helps

WF

ps--Xia, all animals are used.