Thread: Sparring?

Sparring?

I'm relatively new to Kung Fu. I've only been taking classes for about 6 months now and recently have been learning Xiao Hong Quan forms. My Sifu has been teaching how each separate form applies to a real life situation, and we imitate each form separately with the Sifu and other students...however I haven't done any sparring yet in the 6 months I've been there. Is this typical? Even though I feel like I'm executing the forms decently I still question how well I could pull them off when sparring or in an actual fight. Am I too anxious or is it typical to spar only at more advanced levels?

Quote Originally Posted by AllstarShaolin View Post
    I'm relatively new to Kung Fu. I've only been taking classes for about 6 months now and recently have been learning Xiao Hong Quan forms. My Sifu has been teaching how each separate form applies to a real life situation, and we imitate each form separately with the Sifu and other students...however I haven't done any sparring yet in the 6 months I've been there. Is this typical?
    No, it's not typical.

For us, students start sparring after they learn the basic stances and kicks to include two simple empty-hand forms; basically after they get their 8th Gup Level certification.

Is it typical after 6 months of training that you haven't had to spar yet? Maybe not but, each school has its own program/curriculums so I suggest you ask your sifu about it.
    Teoul
    "In kung fu nothing is given; everything is earned"

Quote Originally Posted by AllstarShaolin View Post
    I'm relatively new to Kung Fu. I've only been taking classes for about 6 months now and recently have been learning Xiao Hong Quan forms. My Sifu has been teaching how each separate form applies to a real life situation, and we imitate each form separately with the Sifu and other students...however I haven't done any sparring yet in the 6 months I've been there. Is this typical? Even though I feel like I'm executing the forms decently I still question how well I could pull them off when sparring or in an actual fight. Am I too anxious or is it typical to spar only at more advanced levels?
    usually in a songshan shaolin type class
    sparring is a different class and seperate class from *form* learning
    ask your sifu about "SAN DA", he might have it in a seperate classs time for sparring

Traditional schools will typicall work on basics first before starting you on sparring. This is typically done in intermediate level. Reason being, traditional school do not point spar. We typically include sweeps and throws with the striking. So learning to take a fall is primary. Learning to relax is primary. Learning to move is primary. Otherwise people get hurt and can't train for months.

At my current school, we start of doing technical sparring. Think of it as slap fighting with hands only. Then after the next 2 levels, we add light kicking above the belt. After another 2 levels you add light contact and kicking to the thighs. Again this is done at about half speed, still using the slap fighting mentality. All the while we teach you how to fall, do sweeps and hopefully gaining enough confidence in your technique so that you are able to relax and not be so stiff. Also learning to go with your opponent. By that time around 9mos to a yr have past and you should be in intermediate level. Then we put on pad and go light to medium contact. That then progresses to the advance level 2-3yrs later of medium to hard contact.

The school I go to firmly believes in natural progression of skill.

There are also schools, as previously mentioned, that have a separate class for sparring and weapons. Since many people take kung fu for many different reasons, some may not want to spar and just want to get in shape, some wants to be forms dancers, or whatever other reason they may have.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.