Thread: Mantis in Phoenix, AZ?

Mantis in Phoenix, AZ?

Does anyone know any reliable places to learn mantis (possibly 7-star) in the Phoenix, Arizona area? Any information related in anyway would be highly appreciated.

Ok,

Any videos that anyone can (seriously) recommend to start practicing to in the meantime while I wait for someone to make my day with some good news about a place to learn?

there are many great chinese martial artists teaching in Arizona.

So I don't see the reason why you would have to learn from a video

Quote Originally Posted by djcetra View Post
    Ok,

Any videos that anyone can (seriously) recommend to start practicing to in the meantime while I wait for someone to make my day with some good news about a place to learn?
    Djcetra - If you were in Tucson, I would say pop on over to my Mantis class. However thats about a 2 - 2.5 hour drive.. so doubt you want to make the drive... I would Check around the phonebook, I looked briefly online and didn't see much in the way of traditional mantis. lots of other kung fu though in Phoenix...

Best of luck,

CR

Preying Mantis in Phoenix metro

There is a person who has taught mantis for years. His school is located in Mesa near the east tempe border. He has a van with a prominent painting of a mantis on it.
    I have seen him demonstrate and one of my students used to take lessons from him.
    Unfortunately I dont remember the address or the name at the moment.
    If I find out I will post- but you can ask around.

joy chaudhuri

Sifu Joy, long time no talk! How goes it? This is Jake Burroughs, the big goofy white guy formerly from New Mexico, now living in Seattle. Best regards to you my friend. I hope all is well. Great article in the latest JAMA!

I believe who Sifu Joy is referring to is Joe Eager. He does a little of everything. I think you can find some of his students around KFO. I cannot for the life of me remember his website. Anyways...trained with him once. Nice guy. The stuff he taught us I later discovered was pure wushu type form and training.
    Mark Duhon used to creep around here until some of the knuckleheads drove him nuts. He was not teaching "fomrally" but he is someone to contact to train with. I can vouch for his teacher, and Mark himself. Great guy, good solid technique! His handle is "shirkers"

To be honest with you if I lived anywhere near him, I would look up Mr. Joy http://www.tempewingchun.com/index.html above! He has been doing Wing Chun longer then many of us have been alive. He is one of Augustine Fongs first disciples. I can attest to the mans abilities and kind, open heart. One of the nicest people in the Chinese Martial Community. I would train with him in a heartbeat, and you are talking to someone who is NOT a fan of Wing Chun
    But that is just me.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by CeruleanRyuujin View Post
    Djcetra - If you were in Tucson, I would say pop on over to my Mantis class. However thats about a 2 - 2.5 hour drive.. so doubt you want to make the drive... I would Check around the phonebook, I looked briefly online and didn't see much in the way of traditional mantis. lots of other kung fu though in Phoenix...

Best of luck,

CR
    I might not mind making that drive on the weekend to check out the class, I love Mantis and I really want to learn it. I do wish it was a bit closer though, but hey it's better you're 2 1/2 hours away then out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Sifu Joy, long time no talk! How goes it? This is Jake Burroughs, the big goofy white guy formerly from New Mexico, now living in Seattle. Best regards to you my friend. I hope all is well. Great article in the latest JAMA!

I believe who Sifu Joy is referring to is Joe Eager. He does a little of everything. I think you can find some of his students around KFO. I cannot for the life of me remember his website. Anyways...trained with him once. Nice guy. The stuff he taught us I later discovered was pure wushu type form and training.
    Mark Duhon used to creep around here until some of the knuckleheads drove him nuts. He was not teaching "fomrally" but he is someone to contact to train with. I can vouch for his teacher, and Mark himself. Great guy, good solid technique! His handle is "shirkers"

To be honest with you if I lived anywhere near him, I would look up Mr. Joy http://www.tempewingchun.com/index.html above! He has been doing Wing Chun longer then many of us have been alive. He is one of Augustine Fongs first disciples. I can attest to the mans abilities and kind, open heart. One of the nicest people in the Chinese Martial Community. I would train with him in a heartbeat, and you are talking to someone who is NOT a fan of Wing Chun
    But that is just me.
    Cheers
    Jake
    I'm going to check out this site.

Hi Jake

Thanks much- you ain't goofy. You are welcome to visit any time.

Joe Eager did doa lot of wushu and worked with Jin Heng Li-both friends though I havent seen them for a while.

The guy I was thinking of (I dont know the name) has/had a school near Alma School Road
    on the north side of the street- possibly University drive.

I began with Sifu Fong in 1976. I have some superb elder brothers/sister-Danny Chan, Nancy Macdonald and Dan Maricich and I also have some superb younger brothers. For the most part they dont chit chat on the net.

Like you I also have lived in New Mexico-(Las Cruces where I taught wing chun ) and Washington
    -Seattle intermittently in the 50s...boxed some there and worked at the Inglewood Golf and Country Club on Bothell Way.

Good wishes to you,

joy chaudhuri

Sifu Joy,
    What a trip! I never knew you were up this way!?!? So far so good. Going on two years up here and I am doing well for myself. Glad to hear all is well in Phoenix! Keep up the good work!
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Thanks Jake

I am glad that you noticed my JAMA article.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by djcetra View Post
    I might not mind making that drive on the weekend to check out the class, I love Mantis and I really want to learn it. I do wish it was a bit closer though, but hey it's better you're 2 1/2 hours away then out of state.
    We would love to have you visit if your ever in the area. Sadly, classes are Tues/Thurs 7:00pm - 8:15pm

Send a PM if you ever need directions.

djcetra?

I saw an ad by the person I was thinking of..check it out for yourself::

Martin Werner
    Green Mantis Kung Fu
    greenmantis @cox.net
    480-782-9393

joy chaudhuri

Red face 3 free classes

Djectra-- You can call or come by and check out Master Eagar for yourself.
    Joe will let you come for free to 3 classes. Make up your own mind .

Its on 3rd street south of Camelback

The website is --- http://www.eagarwushu.co.nr/

One of the students recently made a myspace page too-->http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=21180872