Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just had to share...

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Been trying hard not to post the link, but I can't help it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4IYi-EwNE
    LOL, they took the video down.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Unfortunately these cats exert a lot of control, and to a certain extent IMO, brainwashing in their schools. I have a handful of buddies back in NM that train with SD, and they were never allowed to come to any seminar I put on, or hosted. Not allowed to attend tournaments that were not sanctioned by the hairy monk of Shaolin...etc. etc. etc. So a lot of these people DON'T actually get to see what else is out there. I suppose with the net it has changed, but still....
    I don't know, maybe people are genuinley pleased with what they get there. I don't know why they would keep going back otherwise. I don't understand it, but then again I don't understand how people can still have faith in the Catholic Church, but that is a rant for another time.
    Jake
    Jake, that is a western (Soard) thing. My teachers had no problem with me attending your seminar in Nashville. I enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. And I have competed in tournaments from time to time. The sad thing about SD is that it is so large that people can have wildly different experiences in the same system depending on the teacer. You can say that it goes back to Sin The (and it does to a degree) but Sin The allows each of his most senior students a huge amount of leeway in how they teach the material and conduct their students. It's not like he is some huge puppet master out there. If that is going on, its on the local level.

I didn't get to see the video in question, but I could guess that it was horrible. Don't know much of the SD mantis myself so its been hard for me to compare. The ABBA thing was posted by a guy making fun of SD (hence the music). It is of two cats that just learned that particular form and were taping themselves for reference (or so I've been told).

It won't be long till this thread is merged with the mega-SD thread in the shaolin forum....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

however, I just made this point to naja in a PM

if they label whatever they do as 'Shaolin-Do__________' than we can't really argue or debate it. Sin The' is Shaolin-Do so whatever he says is Shaolin-Do do is that very thing.

It's just not a lot of other things.
    You're right and we've talked about this before. But I stand by my belief that SD is kung fu that has evolved into something different, for a variety of reasons, then the arts it claims lineage to. I'm not arguing that its "the original combat version" because it isn't, but I will say that the teachers emphasize power at that has changed the flavor of the forms to varying degrees.

Its not that I'm a good example of what SD should be. Yu shan and Oso have seen me and I've crossed hands with Oso so they know what I'm about. I am what I am and SD is what SD is.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea, JP, it was bad...basically it might have been a mime trying to look like a mantis and a monkey...except for the bottom sweeps and the near ubiquitous jump spinning crescent that seems to be in a lot of SD forms no matter the 'style'.

fwiw, I think there are very few 'kung fu' styles out there that are still the 'original combat version' [shrug]

i will have to say that evolution is not necessarily a good thing...lot's of dead ends, literally...and SD is certainly not the only martial style that is possibly heading to one of those dead ends.

I think that any style that doesn't try to be valid in a sport environment is heading to an evolutionary dead end
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The thing about evolution is that it all plays out in the end. If the bad die out and the good survive then it is good. I think there will always be a market for TMA schools that teaches material that is more accessible even if its merely a stepping stone for one's interest in a more sporting style.

As far as the form, it sounds like the ubiquitous "Tang Lang Chien" (generic name I know). I've seen it but don't know much about the history or why it is considered a mantis form.

I had the fortune to "judge" a few of Judge Pen`s fights at a tournament in NC. I guess we can say what we say about SD forms, but JP can throw down. The gold came up between JP and my guy Frank, very intense fight. Oso, you have the post fight pic of JP?
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    I had the fortune to "judge" a few of Judge Pen`s fights at a tournament in NC. I guess we can say what we say about SD forms, but JP can throw down. The gold came up between JP and my guy Frank, very intense fight. Oso, you have the post fight pic of JP?
    Actually, I got third and your guy Frank got 1st. I beat Frank the first go match and he beat me the second and made it to the championship round. But I prefer your account better!

As far as forms, its a mixed bag of quality out there. I did two SD forms at that tournament and I think my Kwan Dao was well received.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 01-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea, the only good thing about that tournament was some decent fighting in the men's advanced category....

but, anyway, back to topic

SD Mantis Suxors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

was that guy wearing a japanese gi tied with a red obi and sporting a chinese patch on it pointing a mantis finger attack at me??????????????
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."