Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tabata drills /HIIT / boxing/ or any timed exercise

Talking Tabata drills /HIIT / boxing/ or any timed exercise

Hey guys,
    Didn't know where to put this so I just made a separate thread.
    I know a lot of you guys do some of the drills/training in the title and if you're like me, I've been having a hard time finding a good timer for this.

Well, I think I've found one at www.gymboss.com It's cheap ($20) and it looks like it'll do the job.
    I don't have it yet, but I did order it so I'll let you know if it's any good.

If any of you guys have tried this one out, let me know if it's crap or great.

Anyways, that was the first part, the second part is, what do you think would be the single best exercise as far as conditioning goes?
    You can only pick one.

My vote would go to burpees if you could only do one exercise.

I'm interested in hearing from some of you guys which exercise you think is the 'best' It could be fun to make a routine using only the 'best' exercises.

This is a wing chun forum so the purpose of this thread is to start shedding all of that christmas fat and make your wing chun that much better.

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

I have it, the only issue CAN be not hearing it while doing bag work or pad work, other than that, it is quite good.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have a gymboss. It's awesome.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Hey guys,
    Good to hear that other people have one.

sanjuro_ronin,
    I was thinking it may be hard to hear as well especially cause I listen to music with headphones but it supposedly has a vibration mode. Have you tried that out?

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bussey View Post
    Hey guys,
    Good to hear that other people have one.

sanjuro_ronin,
    I was thinking it may be hard to hear as well especially cause I listen to music with headphones but it supposedly has a vibration mode. Have you tried that out?

J
    Yeah, but the thing is, when you are doing bag work as your HIIT drill, having somethign vibrate on your hip is not that noticable, more so when kicking is part of your drill.
    You learn to hear it.

I have it too....I like it.

I haven't used the vibe function much yet, so I can't really comment.

If you are listening to music and exercising, you could always build a mix tape with cues in it for the intervals you are doing.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Hey sanjuro-ronin

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yeah, but the thing is, when you are doing bag work as your HIIT drill, having somethign vibrate on your hip is not that noticable, more so when kicking is part of your drill.
    You learn to hear it.
    Yeah, I can see how the vibration may be missed. Maybe I'll stick it in a headband and use it as shock therapy at the same time

J

Hey AmanuJRY

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    I have it too....I like it.

I haven't used the vibe function much yet, so I can't really comment.

If you are listening to music and exercising, you could always build a mix tape with cues in it for the intervals you are doing.
    I did think about that too, but then I'll have to make a few mixes with different times depending on what I'm doing. I may though start listening to music off my 'boom box' instead of my headphones if it is too low.
    It's strange, but I'm actually excited to get this timer.

I don't get out much

J

Hey sanjuro-ronin

Yeah, I can see how the vibration may be missed. Maybe I'll stick it in a headband and use it as shock therapy at the same time

J
    Hmmm, interesting....

Hey AmanuJRY

I did think about that too, but then I'll have to make a few mixes with different times depending on what I'm doing. I may though start listening to music off my 'boom box' instead of my headphones if it is too low.
    It's strange, but I'm actually excited to get this timer.

I don't get out much

J
    If you have never done HIIt or Tabata, take it slow and break it in over a couple of weeks, then go to town.
    Warm up and cool down are crucial.

I've picked this up recently and I really like it. It's not as flexible as the gymboss since it only does 2 or 3 minute rounds but that is okay with me. It has a bell that sounds before/after each round and its loud enough for me but I don't wear any headphones.

http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...ing-timer.html

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    I've picked this up recently and I really like it. It's not as flexible as the gymboss since it only does 2 or 3 minute rounds but that is okay with me. It has a bell that sounds before/after each round and its loud enough for me but I don't wear any headphones.

Yeah, I passed that one up for the simple reason that you can't do tabata intervals with it...
    Last edited by AmanuJRY; 01-03-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Hey sanjuro_ronin

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you have never done HIIt or Tabata, take it slow and break it in over a couple of weeks, then go to town.
    Warm up and cool down are crucial.
    I'm definitely taking it slow. I have done some of this in the past but haven't for a long time.

That brings up a good point,

What do you guys do as far as warming up / cooling down?

My warm up is essentially joint rotations and about 5 minutes of cardio. As far as cooling down though, I don't really have any. I just kinda walk around for a few minutes before jumping in the shower. Depending on how I feel, I'll do some stretching, maybe I should make that a regular part of my cool down.

What about you guys?

J

Hey tbone,

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post

I did see that one as well, and I was going to get it, but I just didn't like that it was pre-set with the round and rest times (even though most boxing timers are set like that)

J

Hey sanjuro_ronin

I'm definitely taking it slow. I have done some of this in the past but haven't for a long time.

That brings up a good point,

What do you guys do as far as warming up / cooling down?

My warm up is essentially joint rotations and about 5 minutes of cardio. As far as cooling down though, I don't really have any. I just kinda walk around for a few minutes before jumping in the shower. Depending on how I feel, I'll do some stretching, maybe I should make that a regular part of my cool down.

What about you guys?

J
    I usually warm up with some yoga, cardio and light bag work, mostly kicks, to get the blood pumping and stretching...

I usually cool down by walking, light shadow boxing and yoga/stretching.
    Sapere aude, Justin.