Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Babies: enlightened?

ninja turtle Guest

Babies: enlightened?

Are new born children, free of prejudice, free of discrimination, enlightened? Do babies see things how they truly are? They do not seem to have aquired the expression of negative emotions, yet. They do not have attachments(save for their parents), that I have seen, because they have not been taught "value", or any of the aggregates of capitalism or other material related affairs.
    They seem more real, as people- even when it comes to their imagination. Free to be themselves, free to **** in their pants, free to express themselves in anyway they can.
    Are babies(not young children- but, infants and maybe a bit older) enlightened? Or are they just closer to being the animals that all humans are? How would one know for sure, either way?

Eight_Triagram_Boxer Guest

Babies...

Babies are a bit more pure than an older human, yet they are not enlightened. If they were, why would they be un-enlightened as they grew older? Enlightenment isn't a brief state of mind. Also, babies have karma to live out from their past lives. As far as attachments are concerned, as you mentioned parents...any attachment is attachment. There are no exceptions.

~ETB

Budokan Guest

Babies

No, they aren't enlightened as we think of the word. But I do believe they view the world in a completely different and holistic way which we as adults lose as we mature. Unfortunately.

As for as not having atttachments, try telling my 12-month old that about his stuffed Pooh bear!

K. Mark Hoover

joedoe Guest
    I think babies are still able to tap into some of the human 'powers' that we forget as we grow up, and only few find their way back to developing that (like psychics etc).

Just my hippy $0.02 worth.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

ninja turtle Guest

good points.

Thanks.

mad taoist Guest

Are new born children, free of prejudice, free of discrimination, enlightened?

I think children are born free of prejudice and discrimination. They are too naive (unlearned) to form such judgements.

As for being enlightened, they are less 'corrupt' as they are much more naive and fresher to this world than 'we' are -- which does not make them more enlightened. Just less corrupt and more easily enlightened then a corrupted person.

Tis my hippy $0.02 :)

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

Destrous9 Guest
    I think the development of a baby into an adult can provide many lessons.

We all start with an intense ability to learn, an open mind, and simple, basic thought. Getting back to purity in lifestyle is a key life issue for me.

"Deep down inside of all of us is the power to accomplish what we want to, if we'll just stop looking elsewhere."

sifuskafar Guest
    Your comments come from an unwise disposition.

Look to the child for the wisdom of the Tao.
    Become nothing and crush the nothingness.
    To say a child has not enlightenment robs you of your own buddhahood.

Sifu

Skafar??

First off...I can't respect anyone who names themself "sifu" something. Sifu is not a self given title. If one chooses to call you a sifu fine but to call yourself one is egotistical and vain. I don't know how you can expect to get any kind of recognition with a name like that. Secondly, try speaking in normal language, you won't look so stupid and fake. Why are you trying to sound "intelligent" with this ridiculous way of writing. Lastly, your message is just flat out wrong. Why don't you go ask a monk? Thanks for your time...

~ETB

origenx Guest
    Actually, how do you know a baby is "free of prejudice, free of discrimination, enlightened?" Do they really lack such biases, or just the ability to express such biases? Do you know if a baby is gay or straight? Do you know what a plant or animal really feels inside? Who really knows for sure?

But don't worry, I'm sure the gov is spending millions of dollars right now to study such vital questions...

denali Guest
    Babies have zero knowledge.. Absolutely everything is new to them.
    They don't have the ability to be biased, but they also don't have the ability to be not biased.
    Their cup is empty you might say..
    I think it's ridiculous to think that babies are enlightened. . The word enlightened seems to indicate a past..that they were not elightened before. They were nothing before so they can't be enlightened.
    It's all backwards man!

joedoe Guest
    How do you know babies are devoid of knowledge? They may be devoid of human experience, but they may be full of knowledge in a different way. Some spiritualists believe that babies know a lot about their past lives etc.

-------------------------------------
    You have no chance to survive - make your time.

sifuskafar Guest
    Becoming a master is earned not gained. Identifying who you are is appropriate not vain.
    Recognition is irrelevant. Truth is relevant.
    Talking about enlightenment is not enlightenment. Sounds fake and stupid. Ask a baby not a monk.

Best Wishes

Sifu

Haahaa...

Skafar,
    Sifu does not mean master...go get a dictionary. You need a lesson in ego management! LoL. I'm done talking to you but thanks for the laugh!
    ~ETB

joedoe Guest

Skafar

Do you ever speak in normal language, or are you actually Yoda?

-------------------------------------
    You have no chance to survive - make your time.