Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate- new Prachya Pankaew movie

Kill Bill meets Rain Man

I give Chocolate a hearty thumbs up. Baa Ram Ewe has turned in another fine flick. I haven't laughed so hard at fight scenes in a very long time. Jeeja is very quick and agile and even turns in a satisfactory acting performance. Her striking power isn't convincing because she's a skinny girl, but what she lacks in impact is made up for with crazy Jackie Chan/Parkour style stunts. There's some great self reference too, a quality I found outstanding in The Forbidden Kingdom. If you know the genre, there are nods to Big Boss, Ong Bak, Tom Yum Goong, Unleashed, and like I said, Kill Bill. Pankaew and Rittikrai are obviously keen observers of martial arts cinema and I can't wait until their next project, which I believe to be Ong Bak II. Long live Baa Ram Ewe! Baa Ram Ewe! To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hey Gene, how did you get to see it???
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I've seen this DVD for sale in certain places...
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

i'm going to watch this bad boy today. and will have a nice little revue for you guys.

I know it's not fair to compare her to Tony Jaa...but I did, and she came up short.

What I really don't understand is how they can put so much effort into amazing fight choreography, and so little effort into a decent plot to surround it.

i'm sorry but the plot for this film was ten times better then both ong back(country boy goes to big city to get back a sacred buddha head, the cures the village) or tom yoong goong(country boy goes to big city to get back his elephants) which were essentially the same story. the fights i loved i thought she was on par with tony. pretty much because the fights looked the same. in fact the only thing that made me go oh sh!t rewind that was when she had the fight with the break dancer. other then that same **** as jaa's movies. just less big time stunts and they used wires.

Sure, the moves were similar, but the quality of movement was not at all similar!

im sorry but...

while tony has the moves. this young lady jee ja has the acting, she blows him out the water. her movemnts were defferent because her style is defferent she's tkd girl. so ofcourse she is not going to look like to tony, she's going to look like jee ja. silly rabbit

I wonder if/when Dragon Dynasty (or whichever company) will be releasing this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I wonder if/when Dragon Dynasty (or whichever company) will be releasing this one?
    I purchased my copy here:
    https://www.redsundvd.com/view_produ...duct=Chocolate
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

2009?

It's already widely available in DVD in Chinatown - I've seen it at our local video stores even. They are the official U.S. release, which is usually of better quality (the right platform for sure). Nevertheless, I'm always surprised to find how many martial arts movie fans don't know about this one, so it still may garner some audience next year.

They'll probably dub it.
    Magnet draws Thai martial arts hit Chocolate
    Liz Shackleton in Bangkok
    24 Sep 2008 17:57

Magnet, the recently launched genre arm of Magnolia Pictures, has acquired North American rights to Thai martial arts action title Chocolate from Sahamongkolfilm International.

Directed by Prachya Pinkaew (Ong Bak) and starring newcomer Jeeja Vismistananda, the film recently screened in the Midnight Madness section at Toronto and took the Audience Award runner-up prize at Austin's Fantastic Fest.

North American rights to the film were previously sold to The Weinstein Company (TWC), but Sahamongkolfilm took the rights back at the same time that TWC passed back Tony Jaa's long-in-production Ong Bak 2.

Chocolate, which was a box office hit when it was released in Thailand this February, follows an autistic girl who learns Muay Thai via marathon screenings of Tony Jaa and Bruce Lee movies.

"Magnet has had a long tradition of debuting action stars like Tony Jaa, Dan Chupong, David Belle, Marko Zaror, and now we're fortunate enough to launch our first female action star: Jeeja Vismistananda. Chocolate proves Jeeja is as hard hitting as the big boys and fans will be delighted by Prachya's return to kick-ass action," said Magnolia senior vice president Tom Quinn.

The deal was negotiated by Magnolia's Quinn with Gilbert Lim representing Sahamongkolfilm International. Magnet will release the film theatrically in 2009.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The U.S. release FEB 6th

I saw the screener version from Magnolia recently. I enjoyed it even more this time. It's a really fun film. It's all about Baa Ram Ewe for me now...

Official US Poster for Thai Martial Arts Movie Chocolate
    December 30, 2008
    Source: Twitch
    by Alex Billington
    Official US Poster for Thai Martial Arts Movie Chocolate

Taste the fury! In the world of badass foreign martial arts movies, Chocolate is one of this year's best unseen gems. Although I personally missed it at two film fests, it has been receiving fairly positive reviews (read one from Twitch and one from Film School Rejects). Thanks to Twitch, we've got the official US poster for Chocolate, which is Ong Bak director Prachya Pinkaew's latest film. While the art on this poster isn't anything new, the tagline is, and it's one of the very reasons I had to share this. So do yourself a favor and check it out (and watch the trailer if you haven't) because this is finally hitting theaters in February.

Chocolate is directed by Thai filmmaker Prachya Pinkaew, of Tony Jaa's Ong Bak and The Protector previously. The screenplay was written by Chukiat Sakveerakul (13 Beloved, Body #19) and Nepalee Sakweerakul. The film stars martial arts newcomer Nicharee "Jeeja" Vismistananda. Chocolate first opened in theaters in Thailand this February and played at the Toronto Film Festival and Fantastic Fest this year as well. Magnet Releasing will debut Chocolate in limited theaters starting on February 6th, 2009.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks for the release info, Gene!

I Just seen it & all I can say chocolate kicks ass....
    Regardless of it's story line....
    RAYNYSC

The official U.S. release

CHOCOLATE kick its way into theaters on Friday, February 6 and will be available on DVD and HDNet Ultra VOD Tuesday, February 10 from Magnet Releasing!

Chocolate Official HD Trailer - Director of Ong Bak

CHOCOLATE’s Facebook page

PRESS RELEASE
    “A Sweet, Brutal, Bloody Treat” – Harry Knowles, Ain’t It Cool News

Prachya Pinkaew, director of Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior, returns with CHOCOLATE, an explosive new martial arts masterpiece starring his new protégé, “Jija” Yanin Vismistananda, who spent five years training for the role. Jija plays Zen, a young autistic girl who grows up next to a Muay Thai boxing studio and is raised on a steady diet of chocolate and marathon viewings of Tony Jaa and Bruce Lee films. Zen’s father, a Japanese gangster, has been driven out of the country by a rival Thai gang, so her mother has been forced to raise her alone.

It becomes clear over time that Zen has miraculously absorbed formidable Muay Thai techniques from watching the boxers next door and repeated viewings of martial arts classics. When Zen’s mother is diagnosed with cancer and the cost of treatments prove overwhelming for the family, Zen sets out with her cousin on a violent mission to collect debts from the corrupt gangsters that owe her mother money.

Featuring death-defying stunts and a charming newcomer who is sure to blow the minds of martial arts fans everywhere, CHOCOLATE represents Prachya’s proper follow-up to the smash success of Ong Bak.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips