Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wingcheunkyun in st. louis

wingcheunkyun in st. louis

any schools?

Stl Wc

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    any schools?

Look up this handle on YUTUBE..'shengchenfan'. Send him a mail via YOUTUBE and he may be able to help you out. He is a WC practitioner in the STL. He keeps up with my videos. Seems to be a pretty nice fella.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to know what you turn up.

AH
    Stop posting and start training.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    any schools?
    No one is publically teaching WCK in St. Louis. In the past 15 years there have been to the best of my knowledge only three groups that privately "practice" WCK in St. Louis: one that was in the past associated with Eddie Ma/Lee McField (doing pseudo-Yeun Kay San WCK) which has more or less disbanded (though I think someone may be "teaching" out of UMSL); one assoicated with a WCK club at Washington University (and I don't know if it is still ongoing or not), and our group. From time to time over the years various other (unqualified) people spring up teaching WCK, and then disappear.

Our group from time to time takes on new people -- usually because someone in the group wants to bring that person in (for example, they train with them at some gym) or if they seem to be sincere, are serious about training, and very, very persistant (usually we train these guys for the new blood transfusion to the group). We've not had good luck with the latter though -- since the people in our group are die-hards in terms of our training and most people aren't looking for that level of training. We don't charge money to train.

If you are serious (serious in terms of you are training to fight and will fight as part of your training from day 1 of your training, so you'll need to be in shape, prepared to take the punishment, etc.) then email me at tniehoff@gmail.com. I will respond to you. I keep of list of interested persons and when someone in our group indicates they are willing to take on someone to train, I pass on the name (persistance counts).

BTW, where the hell is "Chinatown Square" in St. Louis? South Grand? Olive Street?

Hello,I'm Mike Sheng (Chen Fan) I have taught Wing Chun in the past,But it not the only thing that i do these days.I was taught a hybrid Wing Chun/Southern Mantis combination from my Godfather the late George Sheng he was originally a Praying Mantis practitioner who later learned Wing Chun and mixed the two styles(Yeah,I know,Why did he do that?_ ___) I studied with him for 7 years until his restaurant business took off and i only was able to workout every now and then with him for two years after.(you guy from St.Louis. He use to work at Lantern House Restaurant In U.City,Now Fitz's rootbeer. I'm a U.City Guy.I also trained Five Animal Shaolin under Sifu Larry Adams in the early to lates 80s.I Left St.Louis for a while and Studied Jun Fan/JKD/Kali under Paul Vunak,Ted Lucay Lucay and Later Dan Inosanto.I came back to St.Louis and I had a class that I was teaching at Washington University for 11 years.Today I don't have as Many students they are all beginners because i took a little time off from teaching to study Bagua and I just got married 4 months ago.I'm very selective in who i teach now that i have no place to teach except out of my apartment and at parks in the spring and summer months and i have no desire in opening a school.I turn the one Gentlemen away not out of being nasty but i didn't think that i had much to offer him in the Wing Chun department having 7 years himself and some people would just want to study Wing Chun alone and i can understand that. I don't think that Robert Lee Mcfield is in St.Louis anymore but i know that he has students who still live in the area two of them are close friends of mine Micheal Burnside and Woody Smith we were 5 animal brothers together.I lost touch with a Mr.Muhammad who was Mcfield's top level student.

Welcome, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sheng View Post
    Hello,I'm Mike Sheng (Chen Fan) I have taught Wing Chun in the past,But it not the only thing that i do these days.I was taught a hybrid Wing Chun/Southern Mantis combination from my Godfather the late George Sheng he was originally a Praying Mantis practitioner who later learned Wing Chun and mixed the two styles(Yeah,I know,Why did he do that?_ ___) I studied with him for 7 years until his restaurant business took off and i only was able to workout every now and then with him for two years after.(you guy from St.Louis. He use to work at Lantern House Restaurant In U.City,Now Fitz's rootbeer. I'm a U.City Guy.I also trained Five Animal Shaolin under Sifu Larry Adams in the early to lates 80s.I Left St.Louis for a while and Studied Jun Fan/JKD/Kali under Paul Vunak,Ted Lucay Lucay and Later Dan Inosanto.I came back to St.Louis and I had a class that I was teaching at Washington University for 11 years.Today I don't have as Many students they are all beginners because i took a little time off from teaching to study Bagua and I just got married 4 months ago.I'm very selective in who i teach now that i have no place to teach except out of my apartment and at parks in the spring and summer months and i have no desire in opening a school.I turn the one Gentlemen away not out of being nasty but i didn't think that i had much to offer him in the Wing Chun department having 7 years himself and some people would just want to study Wing Chun alone and i can understand that. I don't think that Robert Lee Mcfield is in St.Louis anymore but i know that he has students who still live in the area two of them are close friends of mine Micheal Burnside and Woody Smith we were 5 animal brothers together.I lost touch with a Mr.Muhammad who was Mcfield's top level student.
    Good to see you here, mane!

~Cg~
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Hey Graychuan,Whats up.I had to join up to see what was being said about me. LOL

Nice to have you here, but please...PARAGRAPHS !!!

Welcome Mike,

What an interesting background you have! A SPM Sifu showed me some pushup exercises which he explained develops the chest muscles to aid in SPM techniques and development of short bridge power. My Sifu shows us some exercises with Jars, 2x4, Wood and Iron bars to aid in the development of the Fist, Wrist and Forearms. Did your Godfather explain how he combined the exercises the two styles to support the idea of his own Art?

I'm very interested in this and don't want to hijack this thread, so if you want to exchange Private messages (PM) I understand.

Best Wishes,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sheng View Post

Some of the exercises that i did with him(my Godfather) for arm condition was arm grinding with two sticks on the arms,Having them roll back and forth. He had an apparratus that he made for solo training and he rigged up a thick bungie cords at the base of a wall and he would have me through,Tan da exercises and double phoenix eye strikes for short bridge power and strike full power with my arms under the stress.Inside mor shu,tan da,pak da etc. That when your mind starts to mess with you,asking (why are you doing this to yourself?you don't want to do this.)LOL I don't really know why he combine the two methods together because a lot of that happen before i met him,But in the stance,footwork,economy of motion there were several truths the made the two arts complement well together.He is the real reason why i'm so big into finger training today,I wish that he was still around today to give me his input and be able to talk with him more on an adult level because i was 19 yrs old when he past away and i'm 40 now.

McField

If anyone runs across Mr. Mohhamed, Micah Ingram or Irving Moore from that group in the 80's pass on a hello for me plz.
    Don

The last time i saw Mahammad was in mid 92 at Forest Park College.Micah Ingram i haven't him seen him in 20 years.I never workout with them i only knew casually they were Mike Burnside and Woody Smith seniors under Mcfield.Both Burnside and Woody are very heavy into Bagua and Tai Chi under Sam Lin.

McField

I left St. Louis in 1988, I was one of his senior students at the time. I feel bad that I lost contact w/ the people I trained w/ for 3 years. But at the same time w/ the crazy **** that happened w/ Eddie Ma. I walked away from any serious training for several years.

I hear that Eddie Ma doesn't teach Wing Chun anymore,(he might privately)he has got very heavy into Chi Kung and Acupucture in Hong Kong. I remember when all that was going down between Mcfield and Eddie Ma,They were going to try and a Wing Chun/Chi Gung School then the next thing i heard Eddie threat Mcfield's Life and they hated each other every sinceThen his school slowly broke apart ( I think he was still teaching in his basement on St.Louis Ave)Mike Burnside,Woody Smith and I started hanging out more exchanging ideas and they told me what went down with that.I think Mcfield moved the Rayford Town.Mo.

If you are interested you can google Mcfield at Lee's Chinese Martial Art Federation,If you want to reunite with him.He is in Rayford Town Mo.