Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greater Interconnected Kicks of Peng Lai

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Greater Interconnected Kicks of Peng Lai

here be the official dizcussion thread...

Shibo, is this set a creation of Shiye's or something older? you said it was a grouping of 2 person drills...the drills are older and the set new?

is there a separate name for the combination kick that is a face hanging kick into a side kick?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Hi Matt,
    I don't think he has made up his own sets. But this set has been added on by him.
    When he began teaching he started with some older form and just added a few moves each time he taught it.

This version came to be the way he taught it most. I don't think any major changes were made since then.

Most of the moves are part of two man drills or kao da.

Some are just applications.

A few are neither, such as the xuan zi, I think they call it a whirlwind kick in English, there are two at the end of the fourth road.

This form is adopted mostly from Tien shan pai and Mi ZHong Yi.

The face hanging kick side kick only goes by that name, as far as I know,'gua mien tse chuai'

This particular move is also a kao da drill.
    k

I think I have tape of Shifu John doing part of this one time in tampa. When Da Shiye came over in 2004 we did a longish kicking practice one morning that led up to Shifu John showing a sequence of this and us trying to replicate it...I have worked it some and helped Sylvia learn that sequence and train it both sides.

I've never been able to accomplish the whirlwind kick though I've used face hanging/side kick to good effect.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I will ask Shifu about this form maybe over dinner next week, and will take notes. When I was taught this form, I was just told do this so we practiced the movements. I was told nothing of the background of the form. It is a fascinating form non the less. What I am interested in hearing about are the moves being of a two man drill. Two man kicking drills are very nice and good conditioning. But right now my focus is Tanglang. Myself and a few other lucky fellows will be learning a part of Mei Hua Lu and this is more important right now. But I will ask about this kicking form.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Article on Kicks

After this thread was started I decided to write an article on the kicks with a more in-depth view than usually fits in this forum.

I am no prfessional writer, but I hope that the readers can gain something interesting or at least spur new thoughts on your present kicking ideas.

www.plumflowermantisboxing.com

Kevin

Thanks again for another good article...eventually you will have a book!

any video coverage of said same set?

that would help all us non-peng liars a bit...

hope i spelt that right...lol

must be the beer

neil

seriously though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwRgn8-5Rkk&feature=user

Kevin posted it in the vid clip section earlier, this was/is the discussion thread

thanks for the link.....

well, that set's got'em all i'd have to say...got the ever-present flying mantis side-kick, the classic 'hook kick to round kick' that bill wallace clearly stole from mantis and the ever popular, tornado/whirlwind kick that everyone thinks is contemporary wushu but now we know is clearly traditional tanglang...

somebody take my beer away please...i'm getting rowdy.

neil

apologies in advance

Kevin gave me some history on this form but I don't want to recite it w/o checking my notes.

and, don't you know you're supposed to share?????

when are you going to be stateside again?

"tornado/whirlwind kick that everyone thinks is contemporary wushu"

Chinese Opera is more like it.

There is a strong Longfist component to this form as well as the Shandong school of Mizhong Yi.

That move is not included in two man drills of kicks.
    Next month I plan on putting down the sweep kick drills to go along with the uprooting kick drill I put in last month's article.

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.co...cles/kicks.htm

Kevin

Sweep kick drills

As a continuation of my kicking drills I have written another article on kicks. This move is traditionally called sweep away the rebels kick.

I hope yo enjoy it. For those who do not do Peng Lai I hope you find something of value in the article to add to your present base of knowledge.

For those who find my poorly drawn pictures an offense to the meaning of the word 'art' you have my apologies. Only due to the requests of the curious do I dare make public my own hand drawn pictures.

Kevin

www.plumflowermantisboxing.com

NICE! Great Job!

Kevin
    I am curious about the risk of getting thrown Pong Lai takes when kicking so high? Do you train a lot of Shuai in your system? If so how do you deal with the almost inevetable fact that kicking high is extremely dangerous in terms of getting tossed on your melon?
    Nice article!
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Falling Down

Kicks and throws go hand in hand.

Realistically, meaning if you think you can use a kick in an actual fight, your feet need to be as quick as your hands for most of the techniques.

All the kicks have takedowns with them, just not in this article.

Kevin