Thread: Siping City Shao Lin Martial Arts Academy

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    or at least some small villagers...
    Asia minors?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

if you want to do something then do it

I was going to place this in our Shaolin Journeys thread, but then thought better of it.
    Published on Wednesday 10 August 2011 06:44
    China in his hands

RUNNING through the streets of China at 5am. It was a far cry from the norm for Alan Wildsmith.

The 32-year old was used to walking around Hartlepool as part of his role as a local PCSO.

But four years ago, the 16-stone smoker and drinker wanted a change – and opted for a drastic one.

Despite having no experience of martial arts, other than a few taekwondo sessions, Alan decided to throw himself in at the deep end and moved across the world to join the Northern China Shaolin Martial Arts Academy.

In the space of one long haul flight, Alan found himself in a different world in Siping City, around 12 hours away from Beijing.

He was training five times a day and being advised and led by experienced Chinese martial arts masters.

“I have always had an interest in Bruce Lee films and that sort of thing and I was just searching through the internet one day when I came across the academy,” explained Alan.

“I emailed them, they got back in touch and I went over from there.”

Alan admits he had no idea what to expect as he boarded his flight, but soon got to grips with what was required, quite simply because he had to.

The martial art he was studying was Sanda, which brings together five different disciplines.

“It was gruelling,” he added.

“There was no bedding-in period or anything like that.

“We were up at five in the morning and would do sprints and a mile run followed by squats and different obstacle courses.

“Then we would have two more sessions in the morning, one in the afternoon and one on the evening, I think I lost about three stone out there.

“I had shin splints for the first three months, there were times when I literally couldn’t walk.”

Alan, who lives in Stockton, said he met some “amazing” people during his time in China and the trip threw up a couple of situations he will never forget.

“I suppose it wasn’t as mystical as it is made out to be on the television,” he said.

“But some is still what you would expect.

“I got the chance to meet some fascinating people.

“One of the masters could make his left hand go bigger, I had no idea how he did it, but he did.”

Unfortunately the experience of a lifetime came to an abrupt end for Alan when he suffered a hernia after eight months in the country.

He decided to call it a day and came back for surgery at the University Hospital of Hartlepool.

And despite his “fantastic” time in China, Alan says he was about ready for home.

Sitting in the West View Police Station, where he is based, he added: “It is a fantastic experience to look back on and it’s brilliant to say I have been there and done it.

“I am extremely grateful to Cleveland Police for arranging the career break and making it possible for me.”

Instead of discussing martial arts with the Chinese, Americans, Koreans, Dutch and Slovakians who he spent time with, Alan is now well and truly back into his routine of dealing with anti-social behaviour and crime in Hartlepool.

And it’s a job he loves.

“That’s why I’m not really bothered that the trip came to an end a few months early or that I haven’t been back since,” says Alan.

“But it definitely changed my life.”

Alan no longer smokes 20 cigarettes a day and only drinks alcohol “every now and again”.

He also says he is a lot more active and continues with his martial arts,

He added: “The main thing it taught me was you can push yourself further than you think.

“I didn’t think I could run at all and there I was running just about every morning.

“I think it would be a good lesson for anyone, if you want to do something then do it and other things will fall into place around it.

“I learned that the art of fighting is not to fight, the bigger man walks away.

“I still try to get that message across to people today.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

James Yang

ONE CHAMPIONSHIP'S JAMES YANG TRAINED FOR THREE YEARS IN SHAOLIN TEMPLE IN RURAL CHINA

SEP 13, 2021
    In a matter of days, one of James Yang’s life dreams will come true as he makes his mixed martial arts debut.

The life of the 32-year-old has been full of adventures so far. The One Championship lightweight traveled around the globe to pursue fulfillment as a person and a martial artist. Now, he is scheduled to take on Roel Rosauro at the upcoming One “Revolution.” Before switching to MMA and training under Matt Hume at AMC Pankration, Yang had a life-changing experience in a Shaolin temple in rural China.

“When I was 17, out of high school, my plan was, you know, I was going to take six months off in Northern Shaolin martial arts academy,” he said. “It’s near a city called Siping in Dongbei, North-eastern China. It actually bordered North Korea, it’s very high there. The closest city, Siping, is about an hour away. That’s the closest city. It’s an hour away by taxi car. I was in rural, rural China. Even the nearest village was like six, seven kilometers away. We had nothing up there, it was living on this hill. At the academy, it wasn’t just shallow martial arts. They had Shaolin, but they had ba-ji[quan], Chen-style tai chi and Sanda, which is like Chinese kickboxing. They had a big mix of martial artists.”

The recollection of what happened while staying in China resembles some kung fu movies from the 80s, in which the young apprentice has to go through a series of challenging tasks to subdue his ego and grow his patience.

“I planned to for six months, come back, go schooling, do the whole typical thing, right, get a job and all that, but what I ended up doing was staying there for three years in that academy. I got this opportunity as a foreigner to perform with the demo team, and that’s a huge opportunity, like not a lot of people get to do that. Just to get an idea, we trained like eight hours a day, right? You get like two hours of hot water at night to shower and there’s like moldy, crusty facilities and everyone crams in there at night. Bathrooms are like all squatters, you’re literally looking at somebody while they’re watching you taking number two or whatever. It’s just that kind of situation.”

Yang also talked his experience as a performer at Cirque du Soleil and commented on Demetrious Johnson’s loss to Adriano Moraes and the global ruleset that One adopts.

Tudor Leonte started writing about mixed martial arts in 2013 for Italian media outlets. His journey with Sherdog began in 2018 and now he covers One Championship and countless European shows. You can follow him on Twitter @MrTudorLeonte.
    There's a vid behind the link

threads
    Shaolin-in-the-Ring-and-Cage
    Siping-City-Shao-Lin-Martial-Arts-Academy
    ONE-Championship
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart