Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a myth busted

a myth busted

Warning: historical content. You would be wasting your time here if you have no interest in such matters.

I have been an avid reader of WC trivia^h^h^h^h^h^hhistory ever since the publication of New Martial Hero back in the summer of 1970. I thought I knew the history of YMWC fairly well until several years ago, when somebody presented a new wrinkle I have not heard of before, i.e., that YM had an uncle named Chu Chung Man of Weng Chun fame. I was surprised not by my own ignorance, but by the fact that this was never mentioned in over 30 years of books and articles where just about every facet of YM's life under the sun has been gone over with a fine-toothed comb. It would seem highly improbable that YM having such a distinguished relative would escape mentioning. Not having the means at the time to verify the veracity of such an astounding revelation, I kept it at the back of my mind as something to investigate when the opportunity avails itself.

This past summer I found myself in Hong Kong with some free time, so I decided to engage in a bit of hands-on historical research. I went up to the VTAA and visited Yip Chun, who, as YM's eldest son, must be considered the final authority on YM's familial relations (of which there can be no doubt). The following conversation (translated from Chinese) was what took place:

Q: Yip sifu, how are you? I am a WC student from USA, and I have some questions regarding your father, grandmaster Yip Man.
    A: I'll be happy to answer any questions. Have a seat.
    Q: I read on the internet that your father was related to Chu Chung Man of Weng Chun. Is that true?
    A: They were good friends.
    Q: They say Chu Chung Man was Yip Man's uncle.
    A: No. They were not related, just good friends.
    Q: Thank you for answering my question. I am going to put this on the internet to clarify the matter.
    A: Yes.
    Q: Thank you for your time.

There you have it, from the horse's mouth. I can provide the date and time such an encounter took place, and since there was a third person in the room at the time, there's an eyewitness to verify that I did not make this up.

The moral is: don't accept press releases, even from well known “sifus”, “masters” and “grandmasters”, at face value.

As historical research goes, this is trivial, especially since it could have been done by any of the 7+ million people living in HK. But I guess it's something so trivial nobody bothered doing it. Then why did I do this at all? I have a couple of reasons, a public one and a private one.

The public reason is: in this age of the internet, it's all too common for people to accept what turns up on google as fact. If you don't believe me, just try googling “yip man's uncle” and you'll see people referring to this factoid as if it were true. 1984 has come and gone, but the technology described therein is certainly here. If no one were to dispute such claims, after a few more years (especially after the last remaining ties, like Yip Chun, are gone), more and more hits would turn up, thus making a false claim an undisputable truth (hey, google can't be wrong). But now google may also turn up this post setting the record straight.

A more private reason is: some day (and that day is not too far off) I will go meet the ancestors in their training halls, I would be ashamed to face YM if he were to say to me “hey, so and so said such and such about me, and you did nothing?” I would be no better than a collaborator in the propagation of such untruths. Now I would have a clear conscience. I cannot change the world if people choose to believe in fiction, but I have done my meager part, and now I can stand before the ancestors with head unbowed.

ps, while I have no proof about that alleged encounter between YM and CCM in HK in the mid-50's, one way or another, since all those present are now dead, I have some doubts as to the veracity of that claim based on the following:

• YM and CCM were friends back in Fatshan long before they met again in HK. They did not need to “test” each other out at such a late date. And even if they did, the old traditionalists with “mo duk” would never admit to or advertise the outcome of such encounters, not even behind closed doors.
    • In the mid-50's LS was already teaching, and LY and TST took on students soon thereafter. Even WSL, a comparatively late starter, was teaching Bruce Lee around that time frame. So even if there was any influence on YMWC from Weng Chun, it would not have affected these pioneers.
    • Usually in tests of skill, the losing side often adopts the way of the winning side, but not vice versa. Now many Weng Chun schools out there also teach WC, but the opposite is not true. This may be a historical accident since WC became popular long before Weng Chun, but it does sow seeds of doubt in the mind of a thinking person that something is amiss here.

pps, I have nothing against my friends in Weng Chun. I am sure stories overheard from others may just have been misinterpreted.

Well, you have just wasted the last 2 minutes of your life reading this drivel (but you have been forewarned), we now return you to your regularly scheduled bicker^h^h^h^h^h^hprogramming.

i never heard the uncle thing either. i heard they were friends yes! uncle i never heard. you talked with yip chun and that was it what a short conversation(not saying it didn;t happen but it was short)

Hi, thx for the artickle

some people suggest that YM and CCM were related as a family due to name 'Man' but it is not true. They were a kungfu family only. YM often came to Dai Duk Lan to discuss and practice together with other masters like Tang Yik or Wei Yan, but later there was a little conflict between CCM and YM about teaching the system. (...) DDL masters have never agreed to teach public, and they told YM to teach whatever he wants in public exept Weng Chun methods. That's all I know from oral sources.

Quote Originally Posted by dfl View Post
    Now many Weng Chun schools out there also teach WC
    would you give us any examples? please

Quote Originally Posted by VingDragon View Post
    DDL masters have never agreed to teach public, and they told YM to teach whatever he wants in public exept Weng Chun methods. That's all I know from oral sources.
    Interesting comment VingDragon, as I was under the impression that Weng Chun methods were only ever taught via an oral tradition and never written down. This, IMHO, is the main difference.

Wing Chun is written and passed on with the pen, as well as the mouth, as it is written into the character itself...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

TN you're snide post is completely uncalled for. DFL said it was for history buffs at the very beginning. You dont care thats fine but no reason at all to attempt to belittle or denegrate DFL or what he is attempting to do. I for one enjoy the history. I have a degree in history .

Far to many people have called upon faulty history or out right lied about history to back up and sell their version of wing chun. This started after Yip Mans death and today followers of followers of these made up systems and histories teach and sell based on fabrications and lies.

If more people had told the truth and called out those that didnt years ago we would not have so many questionable systems and methods of wing chun as we see today.

Thanks DFL

Appreciate the report of your interview with Ip Chun.

A parallel=In Ip Ching's book on his father "Ip man- Portrait of Kung Fu Master"-he does not refer to
    Chu Chong Man as a real uncle. Depending on who was older and when they started "kung fu"
    folks can be kung fu uncles, brothers etc. Shades, adapatations, versions of Confucian realtionships snd civilities..Specially see the pictures from the 1967 birthday party for Ip man with many influential people present.Ip man is shown leading Chu Chong Man by the elbow in meeting others at the party.

Ip Man himself has said in passing that wing chun and weng chun are different. One doesnt have to depend on authority. If you are perceptive just look at the differences in stance work
    in wing and weng. Each has their own dynamics.

In the old days there were broken telephone conversations about who said what to whom.
    With high speed internet one can create "realities" faster.

Not intended as a negative comment on weng chun...

Again, thanks DFL for sharing your conversation.

joy chaudhuri

some people suggest that YM and CCM were related as a family due to name 'Man' but it is not true. They were a kungfu family only.
    No Chinese would make this suggestion. Their respective family names are Yip/Ip and Chu. Even the "Man" characters are different.

Yip Man: 葉問
    Chu Chong Man: 朱仲民
    Last edited by CFT; 01-07-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Interesting stuff, thanks.

I am going to put this on the internet to clarify the matter.
    "Put this it on the internet" and "clarify" are not often seen in the same sentence.

hunt1 is correct.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

thanks for comments,
    as I mentioned before, all we know about WengChun today comes from oral traditions and from hard practice in Dai Duk Lan. No one of the DDL masters have teached weng chun publicly. They were educated people and they didnt need to make money from kungfu teaching. It was only close circle of good kungfu friends whom big wishes was to preserve their family traditions.
    Yip Man was invited few times into DDL as a honor guest, and whatever he learned from them he did take it to the grave, never shared to anyone.
    Weng Chun is completely different then Wing Chun and today there is a lot of fake stories and propagada around the topics. Who ever wants to know more I send him directly to Hong Kong sources. There are living legends, real people and family members who knows the truth.
    Personaly I dont trust the artickles or books. It's possible that most of them are just fabricated or missunderstood to create a interesting story.
    I'm glad that people start to ask the questions in public - which is good. More people can share their thoughts then just only one.

would you give us any examples? please
    How about this one (though one can argue which side he really sits on)?
    http://www.wingtjun.com/
    Lest my intentions be misconstrued, Weng Chun and WC came from the red boats at the same time (1850's). Though they are 2 distinct arts, their ancestors have lived in peace and friendship for over 100 years. WC had gained from Weng Chun's pole and maybe Weng Chun also found something useful from WC. Let's not let squabbles from previous generations perpetuate into this one. We already have enough of our own squabbles in this generation. I am only against unskilled marketers who try to step on others to promote themselves and did it in such a clumsy manner that even fools like me can see through the holes in their own stories.
    I am reminded of an interview CXW did on TV. When asked what he feels about the different styles of taiji, all of which descended from Chen style, he said something like this, "The world is a big place with many people. All the styles can find a place to flourish without trampling on each other. The more people who do taiji, the better."

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    "Put this it on the internet" and "clarify" are not often seen in the same sentence.
    Shows you the sword can cut both ways, doesn't it?

I feel so honored to receive a gratuitous swipe from the Great TN. Now I can join the distinguished company of the likes of CXW ("I can kick CXW's a**") and my own teacher, who was brought in for no other reason than another swipe just the day before on another thread. Wow, I feel so grateful I'm about to sprout one of Stephen Chow's immortal lines, "Sit down, have a bun and have some tea." But then I remembered his cup is probably full, just like it was when he first joined the wcml oh so many years ago, before he even met Robert Chu. To paraphrase Harry S Truman (in another context), "You can always tell a lawyer...you can't tell him much."

To the other 5 readers of this thread, thank you for your support.

Thanks Dan and nicely done. You can now claim 6 readers.

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

Quote Originally Posted by dfl View Post
    Let's not let squabbles from previous generations perpetuate into this one. We already have enough of our own squabbles in this generation.
    Probably one of the most significant quotes I've read this year (but it is early on!)

Within each family different generations will have a different take of Wing Chun, depending how changeable the Sifu has been over the years. Even the same generation can be taught differently! It takes a brave set of students to put all the older wars behind them, and if you are like me and entered the style after all the eighties madness then you're quite lucky IMO! But we still have a way to go.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

In Chinese, we call our father's good friend "younger-uncle" or "elder-uncle". So of course, some people may have taken that literally.

As for surnames, Yip Man is Yip, Chu Chung-man is Chu. The only way is people might think there was a relation on the maternal side, or through marriage.

As for Weng Chun schools teaching Wing Chun Kuen - Andreas Hoffman and his sifu, Cheng Kwong, taught their version of Lok Yiu's WCK. Andreas, as I understand, has dropped it from the curriculum in his schools. Other Weng Chun schools that broke away from him may still teach Wing Chun, but HK Weng Chun schools did not teach Wing Chun.

Just my $0.02.

Best regards,

in my opinion its good if there is more wengchun schools and teachers then just one. it makes that our art will not die. the problem might be with personalities and their way of spreading the art. whatever they doing now, they are responsible for that and people will judge their actions in future. that's why we are here and have a public forums to ask, to clarify missunderstandings, right?