Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cnbc special on the UFC

cnbc special on the UFC

did anyone else catch the special they did? "Ultimate Fighting: From Bloodsport to Big Time" or some such title. it had some pretty good interviews with rich franklin, rorion gracie, the tap out guys, etc. its interesting to see a 'news' program covering MMA without trying to demonize it.

Yeah, I laughed a bit when the reporter stated that the UFC needs a mainstream sponsor...thinking about the big Harley Davidson logo in the octogon last fight.

Also I think Dana White uderestimates the popularity of MMA.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

yeah the way they talked about the sponsorship thing and a few other comments leads me to believe that they fail to realize how much of a following the sport has. but in their defense i think the footage is from a while ago. during the rich franklin interview they were talking about his most recent fight and they showed clips from the first franklin vs silva match. that was a while ago and i think harley davidson is a more recent development in sponsorship. but i might be wrong.

the dude that annoyed me is the guy talking about how boxing will never go away and blah blah blah. what a pompous blowhard. i don't think boxing is going to die either but it is clearly on the decline. even if mma wasn't in the sportlight i don't think ppv sales for boxing matches would be much different. i just think ppl don't care as much. but whatever he is the 'expert' i just think he's is a douche for saying that MMA guys aren't as talented as boxers. people like him fail to realize that they are just talented in different things.

yeah, I could tell the interview was from back a bit...just thought it was funny that the reporter grilled him about mainstream sponsors and booya...Harley Davidson!

Boxers/Boxing....another MA that some think is the best.

Personally, I don't know how any MA that is limited to certain ranges and bound by rules to limit activity to that range could be considered more 'talented'.

...funny how the older brother gets jealous of the younger brothers popularity.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    yeah, I could tell the interview was from back a bit...just thought it was funny that the reporter grilled him about mainstream sponsors and booya...Harley Davidson!

Boxers/Boxing....another MA that some think is the best.

Personally, I don't know how any MA that is limited to certain ranges and bound by rules to limit activity to that range could be considered more 'talented'.

...funny how the older brother gets jealous of the younger brothers popularity.
    HD is not mainstream per say, though very popular, Coke is mainstream.

Saying that boxers are more talented them MMA is a silly as saying that MMA guys are the best athletes in the world liek I have heard a few numbnuts say.
    I am sure the triathletes and the decathalon athletes would have somethign to say about that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    HD is not mainstream per say, though very popular, Coke is mainstream.
    That's arguable...I don't know anyone personally that hasn't heard of HD.

So what percentage of the public has to be aware of the product for it to be 'mainstream'?

Saying that boxers are more talented them MMA is a silly as saying that MMA guys are the best athletes in the world liek I have heard a few numbnuts say.
    I am sure the triathletes and the decathalon athletes would have somethign to say about that.
    Word!
    Sapere aude, Justin.

i think HD is a pop culture icon at this point and would say it has managed to be mainstream while keeping its counter culture anti-mainstream image. if you ask the average person to name 3 motorcycle comapnies HD would either be the 1st or 2nd out of their mouth.

That's arguable...I don't know anyone personally that hasn't heard of HD.

So what percentage of the public has to be aware of the product for it to be 'mainstream'?

Mainstream = appealing to the masses.
    HD is cool, but isn't as mainstream as Coke or Nike, etc.

Mainstream = appealing to the masses.
    HD is cool, but isn't as mainstream as Coke or Nike, etc.
    The most popular motorcycle manufacturer in the world doesn't appeal to the masses?

Things must be different in Canada.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The most popular motorcycle manufacturer in the world doesn't appeal to the masses?

Things must be different in Canada.
    We get a lot of snow !

Are you missing my point on purpose?
    How many people here own a harley?
    How many have drank coke-cola or owned a pair of Nike ?

Target audience - Harley drivers or nike wearers ?

We get a lot of snow !

Are you missing my point on purpose?
    How many people here own a harley?
    How many have drank coke-cola or owned a pair of Nike ?

Target audience - Harley drivers or nike wearers ?
    Affording it is one thing...brand awareness is another...

How about HD clothing, stickers, toys, etc.

Does Nike make die-cast replicas they sell in the toy isle at Wal-Mart (or the Canadian eq.)?

Not missing your point just debating it...
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Affording it is one thing...brand awareness is another...
    Brand awareness... something that is generally promoted by advertising expenditures.

Harley-Davidson's advertising budget = $13,000,000.00

Coca-Cola's advertising budget = $1,600,000,000.00

I watched bits. It was interesting hearing teh gracie say "Now ufc champions are not the best fighters in the world. They are just tough guys who learned to use the rules."

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    I watched bits. It was interesting hearing teh gracie say "Now ufc champions are not the best fighters in the world. They are just tough guys who learned to use the rules."
    The Gracies had issues with how the UFC's rules are nowadays, the are firm advocates in no time limits and a few other things that the UFC changed to make the soprt more exciting for the average fan.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Brand awareness... something that is generally promoted by advertising expenditures.

Harley-Davidson's advertising budget = $13,000,000.00

Coca-Cola's advertising budget = $1,600,000,000.00

Coca-cola has to spend more in advertising...they have stronger competition and, admittedly, a larger target demographic.

HD has a strong 'fan' base and has much more in the way of word of mouth advertising ( in other words...how many coke drinkers wear coke t-shirts and put coke stickers on their car)?

The issue isn't that HD is as big as coke...just that they are a mainstream sponsor.
    Sapere aude, Justin.