Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea

my favorite is Tieh Kuan Yin which is a green oolong.

I add nothing as tea by itself is as good as it can get.

Not much of a white tea fan but then again if I had some that was decent I might change that tune.....
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

White tea

The thing with white tea is it's got to be fresh. It's the buds or finest leaves, sun dried and not fermented. You can get white bagged tea from poseur tea brands like Tazo at Starbucks, but that totally defeats the point. White tea goes flat when its not fresh. Processed Tazo just kills the flavor completely, although I suspect they bump up the aroma artificially somehow.

There's nothing like premium fresh white tea. Alas, maybe next year...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Tieguanyin

Dale, you must try the new shipments in at RED BLOSSOM. They have two fine tieguanyins in stock now:

Our Dark Roast Tieguanyin is a testament to the rewards that come from restraint and patience. It's also a brilliantly delicious tea.

Harvested in Anxi County, Fujian Province in Spring 2010, the leaf is 30% oxidized, first by bruising the leaves in a bamboo drum and then allowing them to rest and gradually whither. The rest time enables the conversion of catechins into bioflavinoids while enriching the color of the liquor. We then asked the tea maker to finish the tea using a traditional loose roll, then roast the tea in a way that does not leave too strong of a final impression.

Once in our hands, we give the tea its finishing roast - tuning the temperature and roast time to impart an extraordinarily robust character to the tea, but doing it in such a way to highlight its natural honeyed character. It takes quite a few patient hours to roast the tea to perfection. But the end result - rich nuttiness with hints of stone fruit, caramel and honey - is worth every minute.

Water Temperature: 195-200°, or when medium bubbles begin to rise and water becomes agitated.

Brewing Instructions: Use 2 teaspoons (double for a medium sized pot). Rinse tea for 1 second. Discard rinse water. Steep for 2-3 minutes. May be infused multiple times.
    Tieguanyins of old were robust teas, oxidized to 30% and then typically high fired with charcoal. But a decade ago, the character of these teas changed. Tea makers in Anxi began crafting light-oxidized tieguanyins in a newer “qing xiang” or “green fragrance” style. These new style tieguanyins became instantly popular, and soon, every tea maker began crafting only in this newer style. The old ways and techniques quickly disappeared.

Harvested Spring 2010 from Anxi County, Fujian, our Heritage Tieguanyin pays homage to old style tea making. From harvesting to roasting, every step employs time-honored methods handed down from one generation to the next. Each leaf is individually hand-bruised, a painstaking process that ensures the flavor producing enzymatic break-down occurs across the entire leaf rather than just at the edges. Once oxidized to 30%, the tea is roasted with a wood-fired drum, then rolled and shaped by hand. The rolled tea is then taken through a series of low-fired charcoal roasts. Our Heritage Tieguanyin received over thirty hours of roasting over charcoal.

The result is a tea whose flavor and aromatic profile is extremely focused. The initial aroma of the dry leaves is that of caramel and cane sugar. With an initial rinse, that aroma intensifies and deepens with notes of burnt caramel, brown sugar and smoked cedar plank. The liquor is exceptionally clean and smooth, its robustness weighed towards the finish on the middle and back palate. This tea is delicious, its finish long, with brighter notes of honey and apricots anchored by an underlying current of roasted nuts and cacao.

Water Temperature: 195-200°, or when medium bubbles begin to rise and water becomes agitated.

Brewing Instructions: Use 2 teaspoons (double for a medium sized pot). Rinse tea for 1 second. Discard rinse water. Steep for 2-3 minutes. May be infused multiple times.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,

thanks for the heads up.

I ordered 2 ounces of the Hetitage Tieguanyin.

Cannot wait to try it out.

Tea arrived this afternoon.

I will be brewing up a pot tomorrow. It smells very nice!

Thanks for the resource Gene!

being a huge tea fan myself,i quit drinking coffee back in '99 and switched to green tea,and have never looked back. i was buying from dragonwater.com but we now have a local tea merchant who carries a good assortment. my favorite is long ji/lung ching and also tikuanyin.sometimes i like to add jasmine for a change up,as they are so fragrent and taste so good. she also cuts me in sometimes on her stash of 10 year old puerh/bo lam. she got a huge cake of it,and gives me samples when i go to purchase. i offer to pasy but she refuses and just breaks me off enough to enjoy a pot or 2.

Little late

Hey, I'm a little late in chiming in on this thread but I was wondering, have any of you purchased teas from teavana? Have one of them here and Tampa and I've purchased a few loose leafs from them that I have enjoyed immensely. I've been checking out the links provided in this thread and they pretty say the same thing and have a lot of similar wares as well. I think this one has been my favorite so far. http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Whit...-White-Tea.axd

teavana is overpriced and not as good as some of the better tea stores out there.

Not bad if you do not have access to some of the better tea stores or the ability to order online from them.

yeah, I was kind of thinking them akin to the walmart of tea shops to be honest. They have little bit of everything but no personal touch with customers.

Thanks for the reply.

I've been looking in my local area of Tarpon Springs and have found a few that I'm going to have to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Shang Tea

I met a rep at Legends of Kung Fu last weekend. They had some very nice stuff. He gave me a little sample of some under-the-table black tea with chrysanthemum buds, not my usual tea of choice, but it's very interesting and I've been drinking it all day. Later, one of my dear friends gifted me some high mountain green that she bought from him, knowing my soft spot for tea. I haven't opened that yet.

As some of you might know, there's a shortage of white tea right now. Poor weather conditions meant major crop losses, so white tea is really pricey this year. I'm bummed about that as I love white tea and was looking forward to restocking my stash with something fresh.

High mountain Tea is awesome. It is the best tea I've ever had by my recollection.
    I understand that the real deal goes for some 500 (hk)dollars a pound which is about 100 bucks canadian or 97 bucks american.

anyway, pretty expensive, but dang it is sooooo good.

looking at that site, they sell the high mountain green tea for 108$ american per pound not including shipping and any applicable taxes or duties if you are not in the lower 48.

I still think that is a fair price for that tea.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 08-17-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My current tea stock

I just got the following from Red Blossom:
    Organic Snow Peony 2010

Shortages in available tea from Fujian province due to frost and rain led us to seek out a new source for a certified organic white tea in 2010. This year's Organic Snow Peony or "Xue Ya" comes from an organic tea garden in Guangxi province. It is a relatively new cultivar developed from traditional white tea varieties, but crafted in a manner similar to green tea.

Once harvested, the down covered bud and leaf combination is roasted without the usual "fade" time traditionally used to craft white teas. The result is a tea that has the almond and apricot notes of a white tea, but does so with the lighter character of a green tea.
    It's quite delicate in flavor, excellent in the second infusion, very subtle.

Organic Cloud & Mist

Harvested late March 2010 from Fuding County, Fujian Province. In a season of devastating frost and endless rain that saw drastic declines in the availability of green and white teas, it’s remarkable that we found a tea as wonderful as this.

Each leaf is hand-picked, then roasted with a drum roaster – a more traditional method of green tea crafting that predates the pan firing methods commonly used today. The dry leaves are dark green, each wiry twisted strand only about 2.5 centimeters long. The aroma is slightly floral with an underlying note of roasted macadamia. In water, those strands unwind and turn a creamy green, revealing tender leaves and buds. The infused tea is surprisingly sweet and bright, with a hint of butter and grass.
    This is very robust for a green, with an amazing aroma and a gorgeous color when dry. I can get a lot of infusions out of it.

I also was gifted some West Lake Dragon Well, which I just opened today. It's okay. It's a good tea for work here. I also was gifted some High Mountain Green from Taiwan, which I have yet to open, as I have three open bags now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My latest tea stock

I just got reminded to drink more tea.

I'm now drinking some Golden Monkey Black Tea from Teavana.

Golden Monkey Black Tea
    Price reflects 2oz (25-30 cups)
    $18.50
    Product Rating 4.3 stars (31 Ratings)

Description
    The finest China black from the Fujian province. This smooth tea with complex chocolaty undertones is extremely low in tannins, yet rich in flavor. This tea was chosen by the White House to serve at the State Dinner on January 19, 2011 during a visit by the president of China.
    I don't taste chocolate. It has almost an orange pekoe aroma. It's okay. Honestly, I'm not much of a black tea drinker. And I don't want the tea that the White House serves to the President of China. I want the tea that the President of China serves to the White House.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm a huge fan of Pu-erh. I've been using Tao of Tea's tuocha pu-erh and it is the best. Nothing else really does it for me...

i like a clean smooth black tea... doesnt have to be expensive, but im not into the super cheap stuff... its all about steep time and water temp... i like that kenya kamba, its good for making chai... but its nice on its own too... you can pick up a pouch for less than 10 bucks... makes like 80 cups or something like that...

I like white tea quite a bit, not gonna commercialize something but i usually go to http://www.naturalremi-teas.com/ for my tea. It's not very expensive, lasts awhile and has lots of other healthy dietary stuff. I heard White Tea is about the best tea you can drink.