Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea

I have teapots at work, at school, as well as home.

I have turned many onto the wonders of tea.

Im a big fan of greener oolongs.

My fav is called Se Chung which is a green oolong from Southern China.

Im drinking some as I write this.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I with Dale

SimonM, you have no one to blame for that Red Rose but yourself. I always have a stash of tea at the office. I don't have the fat yixing set up - in fact, Gigi and I have discussed getting one here at the office for honored guests, but we've never got around to it. I just do it traditional Beijing-suntea-inna-mason-jar style, although I use a nicer cup. In fact, I just got gifted a new cup a few weeks ago. What's more, we often get gifted good tea from our *good* friends (good guanxi). I hoping someone drops by soon for the holidays and kicks down some tea because I at the bottom of my pi lo chun container (which is just as well because this is a crappy one that I bought in desparation).

BTW, If you're into tea and you're ever in S.F. *this is the place*
    Red Blossom Tea Company.
    In the heart of Chinatown.
    They rock on ever level when it comes to tea. Intelligent, friendly, helpful, beautiful tea sellers and an amazing collection of fine fresh stuff where you can just lift lids and sniff aromas for hours. Tell them Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine sent ya. Maybe they'll buy an ad. Or maybe just give me a discount. Or cut me in to whatever they have stashed *behind* the counter.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I've got a good tea shop in London, ON. Good selection and they have my personal fave (Tieguanyin).

Haven't found a source for Alishan in Canada yet - that remains the only non-alcoholic beverage that I have caught a notable buzz off of.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Which Tea do you drink?

Hello All,

I am tired of just drinking green tea, I love the stuff but please tell me which tea do you recommend. If it is green tea , Which kind do you drink. I am looking for something benefecial but tasteful.

I would greatly appreciate your input........... Thank You

I'm a big green tea fan...I have to say, my all-time favorite is genmaicha (Japanese green tea with toasted rice and barley), which is especially good after a rough workout. Jasmine green is also very nice, and available practically everywhere. I'm also becoming quite fond of golden monkey (an oolong, I believe) since my brother sent me some looseleaf. Two others I'm just starting to get into are puerh (double-oxidized black tea...rather tanniny, but a very good complex flavor and supposed to be quite good for you) and matcha (Japanese powdered green tea, the same stuff used as the flavoring agent in good green tea ice cream).

Of course, I do not do as the heathens do and adulterate my tea with milk or sugar.

Jasmine green is nice, pomergrante green is good too.
    Some "herbal" teas can make you feel real good.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hot to warm. But not the tepid kind. yuck!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i like black tea
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Tie Guan Yin

or

Alishan Oolong
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    tiet guan yum and bo lay cha are my faves. Bo Lay has the added benefit of reducing cholesterol, and aids in digestion.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

You guys don't know tea...

If you're just talking types like green, oolong or whatever, that's not like talking varietals.

Right now, I'm drinking some tieguanyin that was kindly gifted by one of our contributors. I'm not sure about the actual pedigree of it since he didn't give me all the facts. It's quite good tho and I'm not a big tieguanyin person.

At home, I'm drinking some lu jian pi lo chun which is really fine. I confess, I liked the name lu jian (green sword - after the shape of the leaves). I've also got some organic snow peony white at home.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    I'm a big green tea fan...I have to say, my all-time favorite is genmaicha (Japanese green tea with toasted rice and barley), which is especially good after a rough workout. Jasmine green is also very nice, and available practically everywhere. I'm also becoming quite fond of golden monkey (an oolong, I believe) since my brother sent me some looseleaf. Two others I'm just starting to get into are puerh (double-oxidized black tea...rather tanniny, but a very good complex flavor and supposed to be quite good for you) and matcha (Japanese powdered green tea, the same stuff used as the flavoring agent in good green tea ice cream).

Of course, I do not do as the heathens do and adulterate my tea with milk or sugar.
    we make gen mai cha and it usually gets some looks as the graphic bears a swastika.

I like it a lot, on occasion I'll use an organic honey from Jamaica as a sweetener.

check out these sick cups:

http://www.korean-arts.com/tea_ware/..._strainers.htm

I got a couple sets, each for a different tea.

I'll second Matcha. I use to do Bai Hao Yinzhen (silver needle) and Bai Mu Dan but my schdule was getting tight and the prep time for the tea took too long so I switched to Matcha which takes not even half the time plus you get the added benefit of ingesting the whole leaf and not just the water it's steeped in. When I do have time I hit up the cheaper Gong Mei....

In my opinion Ippodo and Hibiki-ahn have the best Matcha

I also take my tea naked sorta speak. I read from Dr Weil that if you add milk or surgar it counteracts the benefits you get from Matcha/ Green/ White tea, something about chemical reactions or something like that.
    Last edited by Ronin22; 01-14-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added more

I know very little of varietals and all that, but I *love* trying new types of teas, especially in the winter, and my wife just bought me a new traditional cast-iron set that Ive been using unrelentlessly the last couple weeks.

I keep on hand a bag of loose-leaf Lu Cha Green Tea, a bag of loose leaf Pu Erh, and a bag of Wu Long Cha Oolong tea. I also occasionally enjoy grabbing a few grams of good Bo He (Field Mint) and making some tea with that. Its come quite handy during periods when my wife feels sick and feverish--releases the heat almost instantly...

A friend and student purchased a bag of Green Tea Chai for me while he was in hawaii. While I enjoy the spiciness of Chai, I find it is much more balanced with the addition of milk...

I agree sugar is no good, but I do enjoy some good wildflower honey in certain teas.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 01-14-2009 at 09:20 AM.