Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical Question for Grabbing Scenarios

Technical Question for Grabbing Scenarios

Hello Everyone,

I have a techincal question I'd appreciate some advice on. This is the scenario..."if someone grabbed you"...what would you do...assuming you want to escape without striking the person.

I've been practicing TCKF for over 20 years (focusing in Lung Ying / Bak Mei - a lot of chin-na). My first instinct is NOT to let someone grab me by evading, or counter-grabbing (or using the grab against them but pulling / pushing & then striking, etc. - I want to "touch them" I don't want the otherwise). Dragoners love to reach out and grab someone & never let them go. And yes, I've studied Judo...but not sport / combative Jiu-Jitsu.

I've also been teaching Nonviolent Crisis Intervention for over 10 years. This institution teaches that ANY grab can be countered using the following three principles; look for the weak point, use leverage, and use momentum (also a psychological advantage as they have grabbed you & commited and you still have options, + you can use an element of distraction / surprise).

So...given a simplistic scenario...someone grabs your wrist - you shift your weight, go against the weak-point (thumb connection), use leverage & momentum & pull out of it. I know beyond a doubt this "trick" works against the strongest and heaviest people.

My long-winded question to those who grapple / fight in reality (combative sports / law-enforcement types), is, are these universal principles work in all "grabbing" / locking situations? Is this simplistic formula brilliantly simplistic or just simplistic?

If you respond, please elaborate - don't just say simplistic because that won't help me very much.

Thank you!

Ao Qin

Quote Originally Posted by Ao Qin View Post

My long-winded question to those who grapple / fight in reality (combative sports / law-enforcement types), is, are these universal principles work in all "grabbing" / locking situations? Is this simplistic formula brilliantly simplistic or just simplistic?

If you respond, please elaborate - don't just say simplistic because that won't help me very much.

Thank you!

Ao Qin
    No principle works in all "grabbing" / locking situations. The Aikido guys have a good basis with the wrist locks/control. The 2 Law enforcement Academies I've attended taught only Aikido techniques. I think it works because it's easy to learn and easy for them to teach groups of noob's. Advanced Aikido is of course more complex. I have my Brown belt in Judo and I dont ever remember being taught small joint manipulation although I watched a small circle jujitsu seminar that was almost all small joint manipulation as it applied to grabbing situations. Ive seen forum debates on why MMA doesnt allow wrist locks and finger holds and I cant argue the point but I do know they work "if" your able to get one.

I guess I'm going with relatively simplistic
    Last edited by Egg fu young; 01-07-2008 at 07:48 PM.

To state the obvious... Generally a grab is initiating something; a strike, off balancing or to hold you in place. Each can effect how well the technique works or what you should do.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

If you are looking for non-violent alternatives, the first that comes to mind is a vocal reaction, loud and direct. Women are often taught to make it loud shrill to shock a non comitted attacker into retreat.

Non-comitted being the key word.

You already have a spot-on understanding of how to break a grip, but the problem is that you can't tell if its just a grab or an initiation of a grapple until its too late.

Personally, whenever someone puts a hand on me, I immediately focus on the hole left in there defense by the use of that hand, and that's where I'd strike them.

Other than that, not much I can add to your already pretty thorough understanding.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Hello Everyone,

I have a techincal question I'd appreciate some advice on. This is the scenario..."if someone grabbed you"...what would you do...assuming you want to escape without striking the person.

I've been practicing TCKF for over 20 years (focusing in Lung Ying / Bak Mei - a lot of chin-na). My first instinct is NOT to let someone grab me by evading, or counter-grabbing (or using the grab against them but pulling / pushing & then striking, etc. - I want to "touch them" I don't want the otherwise). Dragoners love to reach out and grab someone & never let them go. And yes, I've studied Judo...but not sport / combative Jiu-Jitsu.

I've also been teaching Nonviolent Crisis Intervention for over 10 years. This institution teaches that ANY grab can be countered using the following three principles; look for the weak point, use leverage, and use momentum (also a psychological advantage as they have grabbed you & commited and you still have options, + you can use an element of distraction / surprise).

So...given a simplistic scenario...someone grabs your wrist - you shift your weight, go against the weak-point (thumb connection), use leverage & momentum & pull out of it. I know beyond a doubt this "trick" works against the strongest and heaviest people.

Thank you!

Ao Qin
    its almost impossible to answer this without a video of the example. You said you didn't want to strike the person... why?

I find it hard to believe anyone hasn't been in situations were this doesn't happen. Everyone knows if someone grabs your hand you turn your hand. What if he is too strong? So many possibilities exist, its hard to say. I wouldn't say strike, but it may be your best option, given the situation. I have found that using small joints, ball kicking, eye gouging can work effectively as a setup for other techniques. I don't think you will find any special "principles" that will work on any person no matter the situation.. lets be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    its almost impossible to answer this without a video of the example. You said you didn't want to strike the person... why?
    Fear of legal repercussions, identity of the person in question (e.g. family), personal preference.

I don't think you will find any special "principles" that will work on any person no matter the situation.. lets be realistic.
    Principles speak to generalities and trends. There is no "always" but there is a "usually". Principles are simplifications. Alone, they don't tell you very much, but informed with even a few basic techniques, an understanding of principles can allow the student to adapt to a situation for which he has no set technique. Judo, for example, teaches "push when pulled, pull when pushed" as a means of countering force with technical expertise. Well and good, but not particularly helpful without any sort of technical understanding of the mechanics of throwing. Learning a couple of throws alone isn't all that useful, either. Putting the two together - an understanding of the principle and a grounding in fundamental technique - and the student can throw in a wider variety of situations than he has actually faced.

To answer the original question, the principles listed are sound, so long as they're backed by technical knowledge. You can't tell someone "work against the weak point" and leave it at that. Show them the weak point of a wrist grab, a lapel grab, a head lock. Show them how to generate momentum and leverage against each of those holds. When they understand how the principles are actualized through the techniques, *then* they begin to understand the principles in a meaningful way. At that point, they can extrapolate new techniques from the principles.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

In my experience at work dealing with some pretty rough edged people, there are several things I try to do when dealing with this type of situation.
    Keep in mind this is from a professional perspective:

1.) All my sense must be attuned adjusted to be in direct awareness of the person. That means that I must be facing them and if not, will strive to have my body pointed towards their's in any position, standing or ground.

2.) Grab something...anything. Hold tight and attempt to take their side or back so that I am outside or lateral to their arm, leg, etc...taking the back is preferred but not always possible. Pull them close if they are strong or attempt to control and manipulate any joint...because this is very hard to do without a brace, use the wall or sweep them to the ground maintaining the hold and minimal bodily contact...quite often as someone goes down, the ability to further lock up their arm, etc, is possible.

I maintain distance because of the possibility of weapons and needles. Quite often the people I deal with have weapons and many have any range of STD's including two recent individuals with HIV.

The area where this is the most fun is not the strongest or biggest but the more skilled and competent. Most on the street are not familiar with these techniques...

Not to derail...but what about the opposite? You're dealing with an aggressive person that does not want to go with you and you have to close the distance and grab them and restrain them? Defense, IMO, is easier than being the aggressor in this case.
    What do you guys think about this?
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    It's either very easy or very hard, depending on whether or not you're willing to hurt them. If you're not (and that's true of most "restraint" scenarios, in my experience), even if your target isn't any good. Still, I think an approach similar to what you just outlined applies - keep alert, close the distance, control a limb, take a dominant position. That can mean putting them on the ground (usually easier to control them, but sometimes undesirable for other reasons) or taking their side or back standing.

*Keeping* control while they flail around is the fun part.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

While it's not a bad list, I disagree with the idea of momentum. You may not be able to generate any. Part of good grappling is shutting down movement.

So finding the weak spot - check

Using leverage - check

Momentum? Eh, not so much.

I don't know that it's brilliantly or overly simple. You could make a lot of these types of lists. It's certainly one, reasonably valid perspective. If I were working with that list, I might replace momentum with structure.... i dunno.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Not to derail...but what about the opposite? You're dealing with an aggressive person that does not want to go with you and you have to close the distance and grab them and restrain them? Defense, IMO, is easier than being the aggressor in this case.
    If the one doing the detaining is well trained and the detainee is just the average person off the street, then no. My kid brother traid going after our mom when he was a teen. Mom, after working for years in a nursing home psyc ward, had abbsolutly no problem dodging him then subduing him till he calmed down... and she's only 4'11" weighing maby 125 lbs!

Now it the detainee is experienced in getting out of holds, they very likely will. But the average person just isn't IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

The goof part about a lot of grab defenses and what makes them a tad on the bogus role-playing side is people forget about the intent of why a person is grabbing you in the first place and the holds are often far to static.

Most street grabs are entry methods to beating the snot out of the target, headlock to a flurry of punches in the face, headlock to a dump headfirst into a wall, headlock as a distraction to a knife in the gut, bear hug to a slam, wrist grab to a distraction leading to a punch or a quick pull into a knife, that type of thing.

In a number of school's you just see peeps doing the standard, headlock...1...2...3escape crap without any intent on the play attackers part.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    If the one doing the detaining is well trained and the detainee is just the average person off the street, then no. My kid brother traid going after our mom when he was a teen. Mom, after working for years in a nursing home psyc ward, had abbsolutly no problem dodging him then subduing him till he calmed down... and she's only 4'11" weighing maby 125 lbs!

Now it the detainee is experienced in getting out of holds, they very likely will. But the average person just isn't IMO.
    I hear what you're saying. I'm talking about someone not coming at you but forcing you to make the initial move to close the space and restrain them...plus you cannot hurt them. They are aggressive and very, very unwilling to go with you. I've had situations where three guys, untrained, against one guy were having a hell of a time. Taking someone down is a whole other story compared to one attacking you.
    A unique snowflake

Smile

Hello Everyone,

Thank you!

Ao Qin
    Hi Kevin,

Hope all is well with you.

I would agreed with MP that structure is important. I think it really depends on what is the intent and/or follow up of countering the grab. To flight or to fight? That's the question. What you have described:

is actually the reversed order of your list:

"ANY grab can be countered using the following three principles; look for the weak point, use leverage, and use momentum (also a psychological advantage as they have grabbed you & commited and you still have options, + you can use an element of distraction / surprise)."

Momentum and/or structure should be the first of the three priniples. It is the point of the triangle so to speak; while, leverage and weak-point are the flanks. In a flight situation, your goal is to dislodge and disengage as quickly as possible. Using momentum especially for a smaller size person is a smart strategy no matter standing or on the ground. You don't want to be pinned in any fashion period. As for fighting back (reversal of a grab into follow ups of a finishing hold or knock out), having structure is very important. Structure will help to develop a good position which is needed if Chin Na and/or wrestling/grappling is the intent. For Chin Na, you must try to break the posture of your opponent, which essential is to destroy his structure and balance through the manipulation of his various joints that is to say using leverage and weak points against him.

I believe others have already mentioned the unrealistic training mentality that leads to the complete ineffectiveness of Chin Na based self defense program(s). So I am not going to bash the dead horse. Personally, is not that Chin Na is ineffective; rather it is the teaching method of it. I generally recommend people to learn a bit of wrestling/clinching or even better Shuai Jiao before working with Chin Na these days. That's my take.

Warm regards

Robert (Mantis108)
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

more specialized training in these techniques is available here

Fan Qin Na

for the LEO

KFL chin na fa

I hear what you're saying. I'm talking about someone not coming at you but forcing you to make the initial move to close the space and restrain them...plus you cannot hurt them. They are aggressive and very, very unwilling to go with you. I've had situations where three guys, untrained, against one guy were having a hell of a time. Taking someone down is a whole other story compared to one attacking you.
    You think my brother, in the middle of a fit, was willing to be subdued? Or that my mom wanted to hurt him? The only thing missing was that he was activly attacking my mom. But he still "forced" her to act. I can asure you he was being very aggresssive and was not the least bit willing. He also had no problem with the idea of hutring her.

I'm going to guess you are speeking more of a police or security officer needing to subdue someone who is being violent, but not acting against the officer directly? It does change things, but not too signifigantly I think. Training designed to subdue a violent individule should, and usually does, include training for the perp to be focused on the detainer as well as if the perp is focused elsewere.

I just don't feel the average person out there would have any clue how to stop a properly applied submission. That is not to say everyone out there actually knows how to properly apply submissions or that they keep up on the training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it