Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts in Live Theater

This is a little different

Capoeira is so perfect for theater.

DanceBrazil uses martial art capoeira as choreographic tool
    Company's mission is to spread culture and art
    Scott Iwasaki, The Park Record
    Posted: 03/26/2013 04:58:46 PM MDT

Jalon Vieira, artistic director and choreographer for DanceBrazil, is on a mission to bring a taste of his culture to audiences all around the world.

He takes traditional Brazilian martial arts moves known as capoeira and adjusts them to fit into contemporary dance works.

Vieira also uses traditional Brazilian to tell stories about his country.

When DanceBrazil comes to the Eccles Center for the Performing Arts on Saturday, March 30, the audience will be treated to an energetic evening of two selections that will focus on the art of capoeira and the ongoing draught in Brazil's northeast region, Vieira said during a phone call to The Park Record from a stop in Austin, Texas.

"I'm excited to return to Utah and perform in Park City," Vieira said. "It is exciting for us to be able to bring these works to the mountains."

The two pieces will be 2010's "Banguela" and a new work, "Fé."

"'Banguela' is a based on the capoeira rhythm, but not really about the martial art itself," Vieira explained. "In capoeira there are several rhythms. All of them are different and show various expressions. 'Banguela' is about the control, the fun and dancing elements of capoeira."

The piece, which is an ensemble work for 10 people, will also display the strength and the ritualism of the art, which was created by descendents of African slaves that lived in Brazil in the 16th century, Vieira said.

The style is comprised of sweeping legs and leaps that rely on leverage and speed to execute.

"Today, capoeira continues to feed my work," Vieira said. "It's a fountain of identity that flows forever."

The new work 'Fé,' which mean faith, tells the story of the remote desert in Brazil, located in the country's northeast area.

For years, the region has been decimated by draught and the situation is dire for the inhabitants, Vieira said.

"'Fé' is about the lifestyles of the people in that area," Vieira said. "I was inspired to do something about them while I was reading an article one day.

"I read that a drought occurred in that area in 1890, and that most of the population, about 90 percent of the people, was wiped out," he said. "As I read more about this area, I found the people have a unique culture, especially when it comes to music."

Vieira's research led him to interviews with members of the region's population.

"I found how water in that area has been a major cause of conflict throughout history," he said. "As recent as the 1950s, there was a caravan that passed through the area. The people started killing each other to survive, because there was not enough water in tanks for everyone."

Of course, the children and women were the first ones to be killed, and the men started killing each other afterwards, Vieira said.

"These days we have another crisis," he said. "There is another draught and many people have lost their animals, especially the livestock, due to lack of water."

Regardless of the tragedies that the people have experienced, they have managed to stay fairly positive, Vieira said.

"That's why I chose to title the piece 'Fé,'" he said. "I did it because everyone I've talked to who lives in the region told me they all have faith that the place will change and become a better place to live some day.

"They continue to trust that there will eventually be enough water for everyone to live prosperously," he said.

The score for the work was taken from the region's traditional music, but also from the people themselves.

"Many of the quotes that are used in the soundtrack of the dance were taken from live interviews that I did," Vieira said. "The more I interviewed, the more I discovered that these people find joy in bleakness. The joy increases when the rain falls, and they always put on a big celebration."

Vieira choregraphed "Fé" in just three weeks.

"When most choreographers create a piece, if they feel it in their hearts, the process goes much faster," he said. "While we will perform 'Fé' as if it's complete, I still feel it's a work-in-progress. I could easily extend the piece and examine other truths in this area."

Reflecting on his mission to bring Brazilian culture to his audiences, Vieira said his philosophy hasn't changed since he formed DanceBrazil in 1977.

Throughout the company's history, Vieira has created works such as "Pivete," a piece about Brazil's thousands of homeless children, and "Pelada," which addressed the damage gold prospectors did to the mountain Pelada that now exists as a 600-foot crater.

"I have always felt a responsibility as a Brazilian native to bring and present these ideas to our audiences," Vieira said. "I feel there should not be a line that comes between art and real life and what is really happening in the world, and I want to educate people about my country through what some people view as entertainment. I feel I can bring awareness to people through the choreography and the music."

Like "Banguela," "Fé" contains elements of capoeira.

"In one of the solos, I use the movements to express death," Vieira explained. "The reason is because that's what the people talk about all the time. It's their way of life."

Still, Vieira doesn't want the movements to misrepresent what the piece is about.

"I always look very carefully at how the dancers are interpreting the choreography and how it pertains to the culture of the northeastern area," he said.

Vieira said an audience's reaction tell him if he's accomplished his mission.

"I really don't look for rewards, but what makes me feel like we are doing something right is seeing how people accept what I'm doing, and if my message got through or not," he said. "One of those times was when we performed in Arkansas. We enjoyed a standing ovation, and during an after-performance reception, people told us how the piece touched them.

"They told us they would not have learned these things if they had not seen DanceBrazil perform," Vieira said.

The choreographer hopes he will be able to artistically touch the Eccles Center audience on Saturday.

"I look forward to be able to come back to Utah and to be exposed to another community such as Park City," he said. "We hope to see many people in the audience."

The Park City Performing Arts Foundation will present DanceBrazil at the Eccles Center for the Performing Arts, 1750 Kearns Blvd., on Saturday, March 30, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets range from $20 to $67 and are available at www.ecclescenter.org .
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Door

Looks awful purdy...
    Kungfu Dance "The Door" Staged at Peking University Hall
    2013-06-11 21:12:11 Xinhua Web Editor: Mao Yaqing

Dancers from Dragon Style Kung Fu Performance Troupe perform in the Kungfu Dance "The Door" at the Peking University Hall in Beijing, capital of China, June 10, 2013. [Photo: Xinhua]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Zombies vs. Cannibals

Who could resist a show titled so?

Kung Fu Zombies Vs Cannibals Trailer #1

Kung Fu Zombies Vs Cannibals Trailer #2

Kung Fu Zombies vs. Cannibals
    Written by Saymoukda Duangphouxay Vongsay
    Directed by Randy Reyes

Take a ride into a post-apocalyptic world where zombies have taken over and cannibals hide in the mountains. Based on the five Buddhist tenets, follow two Lao women as they struggle to maintain their personal moral code in a world gone wrong.

Pub Crawl
    Zombie Pub crawl is going on the same weekend as opening night. Dress up like a Zombie for $5 off tickets anytime during the run (no other ticket deals apply including student pricing).

SAYMOUKDA DUANGPHOUXAY VONGSAY is an award-winning Lao American poet and playwright whose poetry, essays, plays, and short stories have been published by literary journals, lifestyle magazines, almanacs, newspapers, anthologies, and scholastic journals nationwide. She was named a 2011 Change Maker by Intermedia Arts and is a recipient of numerous scholarships to continue her education and work in philanthropy, arts administration, public policy, and literary arts.

Cast consists of the lead actors: Meghan Kreidler, Laura Anderson, Payton Woodson, Maxwell Thao, Ayden Her, Jeannie Lander, Phasoua Vang, Allen Malicsi and a Fighting Chorus with: Rocky Her, Mikey Postle, Venise Berte, Joelle Fernandez, and Taylor Her.

This play marks the beginning of Randy Reyes’ tenure as Mu's new Artistic Director after 21 years under the leadership of Rick Shiomi. Randy will direct this newest product of the Mu Performing Arts/Jerome New Performance Program.

Production team includes:
    Lisa Smith (Stage Manager), Karin Olson (Lighting Designer), John Beuche (Set Designer), Guy Wagner (Projection Designer), Kellie Larson (Props Designer), and DJ Kool Akiem (Sound Designer)

Dates & Times

Oct 12 - 27
    Thur - Sat 7:30p
    Sun 2:00p

Preview Oct 11 7:30p ($18 tickets)

Tickets

General Admission
    Adult $22
    Student $10
    $5 Zombie Discount
    Tickets availble through the Mu Performing Arts Website.
    Skip "Miss Saigon," see Mu Performing Arts' "Kung Fu Zombies vs. Cannibals"
    By Amina Harper, The Art House
    October 04, 2013

Photo by Aaron Fenster, courtesy Mu Performing Arts

I don’t know a lot about theater. I worked for a small local theater company in 2010 and I volunteered backstage in my high school’s theater program on occasion. That may sound like something, but I’m not very familiar with theater etiquette or terminology and the history of most well-known plays is largely lost on me. What I do know is that theater is art and art shouldn’t perpetuate racism, and that’s why I don’t understand why Miss Saigon is being given a platform and why there are people out there that think that’s okay. But fear not, there is hope.

Art doesn’t just exist to promote communication and visual intrigue, but to debunk antiquated stereotypes and messages founded in ignorance—and I’m happy to announce that Saymoukda Vongsay’s Kung Fu Zombies vs. Cannibals is the perfect remedy to whatever racial mayhem stories like Miss Saigon may leave in their wake. It features a well-crafted Asian-American female lead surrounded by a diverse cast of characters aiding her on a journey of self-discovery and compassion in the midst of a violent zombie apocalypse. I know, I see you about to buy tickets.

If you want to see a show like Miss Saigon I can’t stop you, but I can tell you that just because a story is a work of fiction doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have real reverberations for real people in real communities. I can’t stop you from seeing Miss Saigon, but if you are interested in stories that present the perspective of an Asian character that isn’t degrading or degraded, I can most definitely offer you a better alternative.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Panda!

I must confess I'd love to see this show.

Chinese Stage Show PANDA! to Debut in Las Vegas
    2013-10-10 17:46:39 Chinanews.cn Web Editor: Mao Yaqing

Chinese stage show PANDA! puts on its first performance in Beijing on October 9, 2013. The show, featuring acrobatics, martial arts, magic and Chinese drama, will debut in Las Vegas of the United States on December 14 this year. [Photo: China News Service/Li Xueshi]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Panda!

Nice pic but no panda.
    Las Vegas: 'Panda!' showcases acrobats, dancers, kung fu performers

The fate of the Pea**** Princess rests on the pluck of a panda named Long Long in a new production called -- what else? -- "Panda!" opening in December at the Palazzo in Las Vegas. ("Panda!")

By Jay Jones
    October 31, 2013, 7:15 a.m.

Troupes of acrobats, dancers and kung fu performers will combine their talents when "Panda!," a Chinese-produced show -- the first of its kind in Las Vegas -- opens in mid-December on the Strip

Tickets for “Panda!,” which will play at the Palazzo, go on sale Friday.

The production promises audiences an evening of Far Eastern folklore combining acrobatics, kung fu mastery, music and dance.

The story follows a panda named Long Long as he works to rescue his beloved Pea**** Princess from the clutches of the evil Demon Vulture. In his quest, Long Long seeks advice from Immortal Old Kung Fu Man, who helps prepare him for the dangerous mission.

“We’ve taken two of China’s national treasures, pandas and kung fu, and illuminated them in a visually stunning production that tells an unforgettable and timeless story,” director An Zhao said in a news release.

“Panda!” is produced by a team whose credits include the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

Performances will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays to Sundays beginning Dec. 14. Tickets cost $48 to $128 and will be available starting Friday online or by calling (702) 414-9000.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Even more on Panda!

Kung Fu Fighter
    Panda! takes audiences on a Far East journey
    By Susan Stapleton

The Palazzo 7:30 p.m. Tues.-Sun. beginning Dec. 16, $48-$128 plus tax and fee. 702.414.9000

What’s not to like about a fun-loving heroic panda who has to learn some kung fu moves to rescue his fiancée when she is kidnapped? Throw in some mind-bending acrobatics and killer graphics unseen in Las Vegas and you have Panda!, the first-ever Chinese-produced show on the Strip.

The producers behind Panda! have the chops to create a show worthy of The Palazzo, where the residency plays out starting Dec. 16. After all, they created the dramatic drum theme for the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. That piece captured the world when it introduced the ancient past of China, as did the more lighthearted closing ceremonies for those Olympic Games. Panda! combines a little of both, showing Far East influences with acrobatics, kung fu and dazzling backdrops on screens.

“Panda! is a one-of-a-kind production that will leave audiences in awe,” director An Zhao said in a press release. “We’ve taken two of China’s national treasures, pandas and kung fu, and illuminated them in a visually stunning production that tells an unforgettable and timeless story.”

Performers from the China National Acrobatic Troupe, Shaolin Monastery Kung Fu Monks Troupe and China Star Dance Troupe all perform in this cultural production that introduces audiences to the Far East.

LongLong, the hero of this tale in seven acts, takes center stage for this production. This brave but naïve panda just wants to marry the Pea**** Princess. On their wedding day, the jealous Demon Vulture and his gang have other plans and kidnap LongLong’s bride-to-be and turn his home, the bamboo forest, into shambles. Our hero LongLong turns to the Old Kung Fu Man, who agrees to take him on a journey to find the divine sword that will save his bride.

LongLong’s travels take him to the Monkey King, a martial arts expert. Here the pros from the Shaolin Monastery Kung Fu Monks in China take over the stage with their skills in 18 different forms of martial arts. LongLong wants to learn them all. The Demon Vulture has other plans and sends a golden lion to disrupt the quest. An epic battle takes place, pitting the monkeys against the lion, and, of course, the kung fu monkeys win.

That doesn’t stop the Demon Vulture, who tries to tempt LongLong with sirens who attempt to distract him from his journey with their seductive ways. Old Kung Fu Man rescues our hero from this underwater world and these tempting vixens.

LongLong then faces a journey through forests, high cliffs, icebergs and the hardships that come with them to become a kung fu master. The Demon Vulture turns his attention to the Pea**** Princess by trying to seduce her. Fortunately LongLong has found the divine sword and uses it to take on the Demon Vulture.
    This still sounds strangely amusing to me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still more on Panda!

I'm thinking of clipping Panda! posts out of this thread to make its own independent thread.

A Matter of Black and White

Panda! presents the essence of Chinese culture with a high-flying, immersive experience

By Matt Kelemen
    Photo by Christopher DeVargas

The Palazzo 7:30 p.m. Tues.-Sun., $48-$128 plus tax and fee. 702.414.9000

How do you solve a problem like describing Panda!? It’s safe to say that for most Western audiences Panda! will be unlike anything they’ve seen before, save for segments of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Aside from the computer-generated imagery employed to create vividly colorful backgrounds and a conspicuous reticence on the part of the fuzzier members of the cast, Panda! is firmly rooted in the culture from which it springs, representing China and its history as well as offering what is arguably its international symbol as its thematic star.

In contemporary China, pandas aren’t just cute animals celebrated in the news every time one gets pregnant. They are symbols of national pride, ambassadors and mascots (in the form of good-luck dolls) of the 2008 Olympics. While the abstract story line of Panda! will likely be the main element of familiarity for veterans of “spectacrobatic” Strip productions, there isn’t much precedent for the sight of black-and-white bears performing death-defying feats in the bamboo forest of the introductory scenes. While some of the furries busted out some break-dancing moves at a November sneak peek in the Sands Showroom, it was the demonstrations by the representatives of the Masters from the Shaolin Temple that gave an impression of what would take place inside the Palazzo Theater after the New Year.

There is a story. Our alpha panda is LongLong, who pines for the exquisitely costumed Pea**** Princess. Just as they are to be wed, the Princess is abducted by the Demon Vulture, sending LongLong on an odyssey that allows director An Zhao to segue into members of the China National Acrobatic Troupe hurling themselves through hoops, kung fu choreography by the gold-suited Shaolin featuring a preteen master who knows how to use his head, lavishly dressed ladies who add fuchsia flair to the fantasy, and a morphing set design that seems to have a life of its own without hydraulically overwhelming the performers.

The confidence exuded by the creators of Panda! at the November sneak preview was no idle boasting. For the show’s first Saturday evening performance, they invited American gymnast Cathy Rigby to make the introduction, who in turn brought out Venetian/Palazzo/Sands Expo President and COO John Caparella. “It’s a great show to make history with because it’s the first Chinese show on the Las Vegas stage,” he said. “And that’s something that we’re very proud of. Anyone who had seen the magic of the opening ceremonies and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics will understand why we’re very excited at the opportunity to work with director Zhou.”

Zhou’s sentiments were delivered to the audience by Panda! producer Hui Wang. Through a translator, he expressed the wish that the patrons on hand would allow themselves to be immersed in what they were about to see, which he called “the essence of China.” It is safe to say the audience was immersed, even being treated to a history lesson of sorts when fou-drum playing terra-cotta soldiers appeared in homage to the first emperor of the kingdom that would adapt his name and evolve into what we now know as China.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

George Birkadze

The work of George Birkadze: Where ballet meets martial arts
    Karate kicks and strikes, Jiu-Jitsu grapples and locks, the grace and elegance of ballet – choreographer and martial artist George Birkadze brings all this to his dances

Rome Jorge
    Published 5:04 PM, Aug 27, 2014
    Updated 6:43 PM, Aug 27, 2014
    It takes a tough guy to be a danseur in tights and ballet shoes. George Birkadze, the third generation in a family of actors, soon found out the hard way, growing up in the Georgian capital city of Tblisi.

COMBINATION. The power of martial arts, the grace and ease of dance. Photo from Facebook

“I started dancing when I was around 13 or 14. Since it was difficult to be in my neighborhood and do ballet and dance, it was absolutely complicated and I understood that I had to defend myself. First this was from movies, it wasn’t something very serious. But when I grew up a little bit, the bullies got a little bit more violent. So that hobby became a professional part of my life. I became a professional fighter and I would say it helped me a lot also with my dancing,” he says.

His life has steeled, tempered, and honed this man like a weapon. He served a mandatory two-year stint in the Soviet military where he was assigned to the Special Forces Division. He earned a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and a black belt in Kyokushinkai Karate and in Russian Sambo (Samozashchita Bez Oruzhiya or “self-defense without weapons”), as well as winning several medals in mixed martial arts fights.

Photo from Facebook

These include titles of 1998 Moscow Kick-Boxing Champion, Russian Army Full-Contact Kyoku Shin Kai Champion 1997, and a Mixed Martial Arts professional record of four wins and one loss. He is currently an instructor at Combat Sports Boston.

But it was as a ballet dancer that Birkadze came to Manila to choreograph his two neo-classical works Farandole and R/J in Ballet Philippines' Blue Moon Gala, to be seen onstage September 26 and 27 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

The Blue Moon Gala is the second of 3 programs of the Ballet Philippines' Blue Moon Series that celebrates the company's 45th anniversary, dubbed the Sapphire Season.

Farandole is a highly athletic group dance with a latin flair set to George Bizet's opera Carmen. Birkadze’s latin-inspired choreography reflects both Carmen's narrative about gypsies as well as Birkadze's stint in Spain where he served as principal dancer in the Young Ballet of Catalonia, dancer and choreographer for the Corella Ballet Castilla y Leon, and performed for the Gran Teatre del Liceu of Barcelona.

R/J is a reinterpretation of Romeo and Juliet that distills Shakespeare's immortal romantic tragedy into a potent seven minute pas de deux. At rehearsals recently previewed by the press, R/J proved to be a vigorous and impassioned dance that demanded the utmost from Ballet Philippines principal ballerinas and danseurs.

It was a choreography one expected of a Bolshoi alumnus, danced with vigor and precision exacted by a warrior.

“The dance is much more difficult than the fight. The injuries are much more dangerous and emotionally it's completely devastating.”

Warrior dance

Birkadze's dance reflects his martial arts. “All the fighters are dancers. All the dancers are fighters,” he proclaims. “There are so many connections: Coordination. Flexibility. Ability. Balance. Muscle memory. It’s just coordinated dance. There isn’t any warrior who couldn’t dance. There is no one. All of them in the world dances before the fight, right? American Indians, bush dance in Africa, my country, Georgians we dance,” he notes.

He does admit to big differences between the two. He attests, “The dance is much more difficult than the fight. The injuries are much more dangerous and emotionally it's completely devastating.”

Don't expect to see something so obvious and crude as kicks, punches, grapples in his dance choreography. But he concedes that the fighter in him still shows in his work. “I definitely challenge dancers to their maximum, I'm putting them at the top of their possibility. I really like that so they feel challenged every time. So it’s not just nice piece but it’s very challenging for them, so maybe that was the pattern of martial arts in my choreography,” he confides.

Listen to George talk about teaching here:

He notes that, though his choreography for R/J was originally premiere for the Sarasota Ballet in the United States, he has tailored it to take advantage of Ballet Philippines unique strengths.

His highly impassioned and emotive choreography also reflects the many challenges he had to surmount in his life. Besides the threat of bullying he had to deal with in his childhood, Birkadze experienced ostracism in Russia, a feeling that became intolerable when that country invaded his native Georgia in 2008 and briefly occupied it.

It is with much heartache that he recalls, “When I came to Moscow the Soviet Union had just crashed, [Georgia declared independence from the Soviet Union in 1991] so it was the first where I felt I was different, we’re not part of the country anymore. It was very sad. From there it just made me work harder because, even in school, they didn’t believe me.”

He adds, “This country is a little strange for us, and were not that different from them. That’s why I migrated to Spain. Spain was my home more than Russia, which was very sad, because I think they’re the closest family to me, culture and everything.”

Birkadze first worked in Spain in 1999. Today, Birkadze resides in Boston, Massachusetts where he practices both is ballet and his martial arts.

Karate kicks and strikes from Japan, Jiu-Jitsu grapples and locks from Brazil, ballet from France and Russia, latin verve from Spain, and soon the strength and virtuosity of Philippine dancers – George Birkadze brings all this to his dances.

You’ll be able to see this watch Ballet Philippines Farandole and R/Jat the Cultural Center of the Philippines on September 26 and 27. These are performances that pack a punch.

For details, visit Ballet Philippines' Facebook. For tickets, visit Ticketworld

Writer, graphic designer, and business owner Rome Jorge is passionate about the arts. Formerly the Editor-in-Chief of asianTraveler Magazine, Lifestyle Editor of The Manila Times, and cover story writer for MEGA and Lifestyle Asia Magazines, Rome Jorge has also covered terror attacks, military mutinies, mass demonstrations as well as Reproductive Health, gender equality, climate change, HIV/AIDS and other important issues. He is also the proprietor of Strawberry Jams Music Studio.
    We ain't got no one in the Philippines here that can go check this out, do we?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Hamlet

We're been here before - sort of - with Comedy of Errors.

Fairbanks teachers blends genres for 'Kung Fu Hamlet'

ERIN CORNELIUSSEN/FAIRBANKS DAILY NEWS-MINER
    Spotlight: Michael Shaeffer

Michael Shaeffer talks to parents of some of his World Literature students in his classroom at West Valley High School on Thursday, September 11, 2014.

Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 12:00 am | Updated: 7:22 am, Mon Sep 15, 2014.
    Jeff Richardson jrichardson@newsminer.com

FAIRBANKS — Michael Shaeffer has a lot on his mind.

He can talk about Aquaman being an overlooked comic book superhero, recite poetry about breaking into Sea World and discuss the unlikely fusion of Shakespeare and kung fu movies.

Shaeffer seems like the kind of guy who would make a fun high school English teacher — which, in fact, is what he is. The 44-year-old Fairbanksan teaches at West Valley High School, an ideal spot to meld his love of learning, language and pop culture.

“I’ve been teaching since ’94, I haven’t worked a day since,” he said with a smile.

In recent years, his role as an educator has complemented a prominent place in the arts community.

He’s directing “Kung Fu Hamlet,” the opening play in the Fairbanks Drama Association season and leading a handful of former students in the production. That includes Jun Shin, who plays the title role in the spoof, which is a deadpan combination of Shakepeare’s tragic tale with Hong Kong martial arts films of the 1970s.

FDA Executive Director Peggy Ferguson said Shaeffer’s experience as a teacher and natural comic timing have allowed him to excel as a director.

“I’m very fond of him and have great respect for him,” Ferguson said. “He’s not only brilliant, but he’s kind, and for me that’s the winning combination.”

Shaeffer started his career as a radio DJ in Brookings, South Dakota, hosting ’80s pop and alternative rock shows for a pair of local stations.

He got nudged out of his on-air role along with a shift to adult-contemporary music, and was eventually shifted to an unwanted sales job.

The change led to his teaching career, and ultimately, his move to Alaska. After he returned to college to earn his teaching certificate and spent a few years working in South Dakota, Shaeffer went to a job fair from the Northwest Arctic Borough School District almost on a whim.

To his surprise, he ended up accepting a job in Kotzebue and packed for a move to Alaska.

“I thought I could do anything for 9 months,” he said. “I ended up there for 3 years and loved it. I can’t wait to get back.”

He spent time in Chevak and Sand Point before arriving in Fairbanks in 2006.

He’s been an enthusiastic performer, appearing in about a dozen local plays and developing an hour-long set of spoken-word poetry. His humorous thoughts include pieces about Patrick Swayze, Elvis and superheroes, among other quirky topics.

He took his slam poetry set on the road last summer, performing a show called “Hot Lava” for audiences in Minneapolis and Kansas City.

Shaeffer said his love of pop culture has helped serve as a tool in education. Although he got his start playing songs now three decades old, the experience provides an entry point for high school kids today.

“Music is a great common ground for students,” Shaeffer said. “They aren’t always going to dial in and connect the dots, but it can make a difference with a reluctant learner or struggling student.”

He received an artist grant from the Rasmuson Foundation this year to teach the Twelve Labors of Hercules in a dozen Alaska communities. He started in Barrow, where his discussion focused on the link between ancient myths and modern comic book heroes.

“It shows we’re still celebrating these myths, and people are still interested in them,” he said.

Contact staff writer Jeff Richardson at 459-7518. Follow him on Twitter: @FDNMbusiness.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Kung Fu Hamlet

Romeo and Juliet would also make a good Kung Fu interpretation from Shakespeare as there's that great Mercutio vs. Tybalt sword fight.
    Theater review: To fu or not to fu? Yes, definitely go fu.

Eric Engman/News-Miner
    Kung Fu Hamlet

"Kung Fu Hamlet" is a slapstick silly hit for the Fairbanks Drama Association, running weekends through Oct. 5 at the theater at 1852 Second Ave.
    Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 12:30 am
    Gary Black / gblack@newsminer.com

FAIRBANKS — With a “pow” and a “wham” and an “umph” and an “ugh,” the Fairbanks Drama Association has kicked off its 52nd season in a spectacularly silly fashion.

“Kung Fu Hamlet,” directed by Michael Shaeffer and written by Gabriel Llanas, is pretty much just like it sounds — the tao of 1970s kung fu flicks merged with the indecisive prince of Denmark if maybe Quentin Tarantino penned a script after watching too much “Hong Kong Phooey” while hanging out with Timothy Leary. Sound silly? It is. And it works.

It’s the story of Hamlet, who’s still seeking to avenge his father’s death, but it’s more than your Shakespearean retelling. It’s Hamlet as a kung fu master — heck, every resident of Elsinore is kung fu savvy here — throwing some killer moves while battling ninjas, evil monks and his ne’er-do-well uncle, Claudius, who’s killed Hamlet’s dad and married his mom to become king. It’s an Elsinore in a Shaolin Temple the likes of which, alas, poor Yorick never saw coming.

The large cast features lots of newcomers to theater, but this isn’t a setback. Hamlet is played comically well by Jun Shin, a third-degree black belt in tang soo do who also acted as fight coordinator for the cast. Had this been a serious “Hamlet,” the young cast of newcomers would face some challenges on stage, but serious this is not. It’s a fast-paced farce of comic timing and kung fu jokes the cast pulls off with ease because of the style in which the play is written.

Being a mashup of kung fu flicks and Shakespeare, much of the dialogue is recited in voice over style with three unseen actors providing voices offstage while the cast mimics the words. It’s a gimmick that takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of listening to the off-stage Hamlet while watching the onstage Hamlet, it moves along at a furious pace.

The cast has its standouts — Shin as Hamlet, Skyler Evans as Claudius, Ian Norsby as the slightly gay split personalities of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern — but it’s really the three unseen voice actors who are the hidden stars. Heath Robertson, Paul Adaskiak and Grace McCarthy are never visible during the production but provide the voices for the entire cast. Their change in tone, cadence and inflection is what makes “Kung Fu Hamlet” hilarious; three unseen voices providing a flurry of fast-paced words while the cast acts out the verbage in front of you.

On stage, keep your eyes on Jamie Beversdorf as Queen Gertrude, who coupled with McCarthy’s voice, is the biggest scene stealer of the show as McCarthy does her most shrill Lois Griffin. During a Jerry Springer-style talk show, Queen Gertrude tells her husband King Claudius, “You are not my baby’s daddy!” as Beversdorf goes all New Jersey real housewife on the crowd while deploying her kung fu.

Cheesy? You bet it is, but that’s the beauty of slapstick. You get to be silly and over the top, and the Fairbanks Drama Association has gone over the top well here.

Note also that the performance is family friendly and a great visual for children. They might not know the story of “Hamlet” but they’ll be more than entertained by the kung fu shenanigans on stage.

“Kung Fu Hamlet” can be seen at 8:15 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays through Oct. 5 at the Hap Ryder Riverfront Theatre, 1852 Second Ave. For reservations, call 456-PLAY.

Contact Features Editor Gary Black at 459-7504 or on Twitter at @FDNMfeatures.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt for 2015

"Wuxia is the Chinese version of superheroes, it is our version of The Avengers," Well, wuxia predates Marvel by a few centuries, so really it's like the Avengers is 'our' version of wuxia.

Theatre Practice to stage martial arts epic to mark its 50th anniversary
    Ground-breaking theatre company The Theatre Practice marks its 50th anniversary with an epic Chinese martial arts play
    PUBLISHED ON MAR 10, 2015 10:17 AM

The Theatre Practice marks its 50th anniversary with Legends Of The Southern Arch (above). Over the years, it has staged iconic plays such as The Coffin Is Too Big For The Hole (starring Lim Kay Tong) and Lao Jiu. -- PHOTO: THE THEATRE PRACTICE

BY LISABEL TING
    The world of wuxia (Chinese martial arts) is a fantastical one, inhabited by prodigious villains and wandering heroes who forge their own paths though life, defeating oppressors and abiding by their own creed.

"Wuxia is the Chinese version of superheroes, it is our version of The Avengers," says artistic director of The Theatre Practice Kuo Jian Hong.

The company's first wuxia epic, Legends Of The Southern Arch, opens at the Drama Centre Theatre at the end of the month. The show, which also marks the company's 50th anniversary, brings together different generations of theatre practitioners in an imaginary pugilistic world, complete with wire-work acrobatics and flowing robes.

The heroes of wuxia stories are often fiercely independent, tenacious and resourceful. The same could be said of The Theatre Practice, which has its roots in the Singapore Performing Arts School that was set up in 1965, making it the oldest theatre company here.

LEGENDS OF THE SOUTHERN ARCH

Where: Drama Centre Theatre, National Library Building

When: March 27 to April 12, Tuesday to Saturday, 8pm; Saturday and Sunday, 3pm

Admission: $33, $45 and $55 from Sistic (call 6348-5555 or go to www.sistic.com.sg)

MILESTONES

1965: Kuo Pao Kun and Goh Lay Kuan found the Singapore Performing Arts School in Clemenceau Avenue. Later that year, the school starts its first ballet course by Goh.

1966: The school moves to 12 Sommerville Walk in Serangoon. The first drama course is started, taught by Kuo.

1973: The school is renamed Practice Theatre School.

1976: Both Kuo and Goh are arrested, alongside nearly 50 others, for alleged communist activities and detained under the Internal Security Act. While Goh is released after two months, Kuo is detained for four years and seven months.

1984: The school is renamed the Practice Performing Arts School.

1986: Under the school, the Practice Theatre Ensemble is founded. This performing wing later evolves into The Theatre Practice.

1988: The Practice Performing Arts School moves to its current premises at the Stamford Arts Centre in Waterloo Street.

1996: The school forms The Finger Players, a company which uses both traditional and contemporary puppetry in their works. The Finger Players becomes independent and splits from its parent company in 1999.

1997: The Practice Theatre Ensemble is renamed The Theatre Practice. Practice Performing Arts School continues to operate.

2000: The Theatre Training and Research Programme is established. It is now known as the Intercultural Theatre Institute and helmed by Cultural Medallion recipient T. Sasitharan.

2002: Kuo Pao Kun dies of liver and kidney cancer at age 63. Wu Xi and Kuo Jian Hong become co-artistic directors, but Wu steps down in 2005.

2010: The Practice Performing Arts School and The Theatre Practice are consolidated under one company, The Theatre Practice Ltd.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kungfu Revelations: Nine Scrolls revisited

More on Nine Scrolls in posts 42 & 70. Maybe this needs its own thread soon...

Martial arts show dazzles audience in Zhengzhou
    2015-03-20 13:45CNTVWeb Editor: Li Yan

A romantic and poetic Kungfu show -- "Kungfu Revelations: Nine Scrolls" has hit Zhengzhou in central China's Henan Province, attracting a packed house at the Henan Art Center.

A romantic and poetic Kungfu show -- "Kungfu Revelations: Nine Scrolls" has hit Zhengzhou in central China's Henan province, attracting a packed house at the Henan Art Center. The show is a vivid portrayal of the philosophies of Chinese culture in the form of martial arts.

The Yin meets the Yang, as esoteric Chinese philosophy is embodied in martial arts.

"Kungfu Revelations: Nine Scrolls" uses a poetic and dramatic form of Kungfu to interpret and portray the very soul of Chinese culture, art, and philosophy. The combination creates a new language of movement, unlocking ancient wisdom for a modern audience.

"Kungfu is transformed into poetry by the infusion of Chinese philosophy. I believe this takes the show far beyond a mere Kungfu stunt," said Yu Yang, producer of "Kungfu Revelations: Nine Scrolls".

The show is divided into 9 parts and each has a theme that audience can relate to. It strikes to the very core of man's spiritual struggle, that we are all on a journey to completeness, peace and purity.

"This show is not just about Kungfu. It guides you into the depths of our culture. I love this artistic portrayal," said an audience.

Since debut in 2008, "Kungfu Revelations: Nine Scrolls" has been performed in major cities in China. It also has won applause from packed houses when the show toured in countries including the United States, Australia and Switzerland.
    Missed that U.S. tour...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Thorn

Here's a different one.

'The Thorn' Large-Scale Production Mixes Martial Arts, Acrobatics in Portrayal of Gospel Message at New Life Church Founded by Ted Haggard
    BY MICHAEL GRYBOSKI , CHRISTIAN POST REPORTER
    March 25, 2015|11:04 am

(PHOTO: COURTESY OF TED MEHL/"THE THORN")
    A scene from "The Thorn," a version of the Gospel story that features dance, music, acrobatics and martial arts.

"The Thorn," a theatrical adaption based on the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ that includes acrobatics and martial arts, will be performed at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, which was founded by its former pastor, Ted Haggard.

The play is the product of John Bolin, a former youth pastor at New Life Church, who in an interview with the Gazette, described "The Thorn" as "the Bible on stage like you've never seen it."

Derived from a 1990s high school play that's produced with a cast of hundreds, "The Thorn" will be performed at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, starting on Thursday.

"I think God likes it when we tell a story. From the artistic side, when we do something beautiful like this, it sticks, it grows," Bolin asserted.

Sarah Bolin, executive producer at Thorn Productions and wife of John, spoke to The Christian Post about what makes this production different from other theatrical versions of the Gospel story.

"'The Thorn' is different in that it involves local volunteer actors and professionals who tell the story; it explores the supernatural perspective of the Gospel story (angels and demons), and uses multiple artistic and athletic talents," she explained.

"We tour with the production and are in six cities this year. Colorado Springs is our longest running annual show on its 19th year. Also, 'The Thorn' is not a play with speaking parts. There is a narrator and the rest of the scenes are acted to music with live singers."

The most recent tour of the production began earlier this month with performances in Fort Worth, Texas, and will culminate in Nashville, Tennessee, next month.

On its website, "The Thorn" is described as "a visually dynamic and heart-stirring theatrical portrayal of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ."

"'The Thorn' combines martial arts, aerial acrobatics and emotionally powerful performances that have been engaging audiences across the U.S. for almost 20 years," the description continues. "To help bring this timeless story to life, 'The Thorn' recruits large-scale casts of professional and volunteer performers who share in the heart of 'The Thorn.'"

New Life Church is promoting the performances, five scheduled over four days, with a link on their home page. "[W]itness the Gospel message presented in a powerful way. Using narrative, visuals, movement and music to tell the story of the Cross. Often described as The Passion meets Cirque du Soleil, the show has expanded over the years to include aerial acrobatics, pyrotechnics, dynamic visuals and special effects."

"Also on board are dancers from the Ballet Society of Colorado Springs, who will perform during the Colorado Springs dates," the Gazette reports. "Ballet Emmanuel, a professional Christian ballet company, will perform at other stops on the tour."

When asked by CP about the value of theatre as a way to convey the Gospel, Bolin responded that she thinks "telling the story in a variety of ways is valuable."

"We love the arts and theater because it gives so much space for creativity, variety, and artistic expression," she added.

"'The Thorn' involves martial arts, dance, aerial arts, acting, singing … it's rare to have the vehicle to be able to combine all of these talents in once space. We truly love it!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Groundlings Kung Fu Battle Island

Not sure there is any actual Kung Fu in this show, but I like the poster.

BWW Reviews: GROUNDLINGS KUNG FU BATTLE ISLAND - The Ultimate Destination of Laughter
    May 11 6:26 AM 2015
    by Gil Kaan

Groundlings Kung Fu Battle Island/written by The Groundlings/directed by Jim Rash/Groundlings Theatre/thru July 11, 2015

Groundlings Kung Fu Battle Island, the latest in The Groundlings' continued, well-oiled, laugh-filled Friday & Saturday night shows, just keeps the fine-tuned physical comedy and the hysterical jokes flowing. Adeptly directed by Oscar-winning screenwriter Jim Rash, the evening of fifteen skits and improv pieces receives great punctuation and able accent from the amazing Groundlings Band (Howard Greene on drums, Larry Treadwell on guitar, and musical director Willie Etra on keyboards), as well as, the perfectly-timed sound cues and effects designed by Paul Matlock. The Groundlings Band also keeps the audience entertainingly charged and energized throughout the necessary but very efficient and smooth set changes.

The ultra-talented Groundling members performing in Groundlings Kung Fu Battle Island include: Lauren Burns, Jim Cashman, Laurel Coppock, H Michael Croner, Ryan Gaul, Annie Sertich, Mitch Silpa, and Greg Worswick.

The evening begins with a stunning opener - "Sleepover" written by Sertich. Sertich plays the "lame" mom of a high schooler who's invited a couple of his friends over for the evening. To illustrate her 'un-lameless," Sertich's Mom acts out (using sign language and body language) the lyrics to Abba's "Take a Chance on Me" to great comic effect. With her "lameness" further challenged by the kids, she takes on the hip-hop song "Bang Bang" to maximum comedic effect. Whoa! Brava Ms. Sertich!

In "Coffee" (written by Coppock, who you'll recognize as "Jan" in the Toyota commercials), Coppock plays a very, very annoying co-worker repeated trying to join in a coffee break with Sertich and Burns. Coppock's machinations ramp up to the physical schtick reminiscent of Martin Short's Ed Grimley. Short would be most flattered!

In "The Final Rose," a spoof of "The Bachelor" (written by Croner and Worswick), the two of them, in drag, remain the final two that Bachelor Gaul has to chose between to send home. Both individually, then alternately, plead the case for Gaul to present the final rose to the other. Croner's and Worswick's alternating riffs prove more and more over-the-topping, as each attempt to outplead the other. Too funny!

And who's says comedy can't be seriously touching? In "We'll Hook You Up" (written by Croner and Cashman), Croner's a care-free car rental agent with his double-teaming spiel down pat with dispatcher Cashman. The two of them's so slick persuasive, they charmingly upsell every potential renter that walks in with promised visions of coolness and fawning women. That is until Worswick appears. Their pitch doesn't work on him as he's not out to party, but to take his little girls and family to an amusement park. Both Croner and Cashman realize how shallow and immature they both remain and begin to break down in tears while dispensing grown-up advice to Worswick. Both nail their 'instant' maturation quite convincingly. So sweet! So touching! Soooo hilarious!

"High School Aerobics Finals" (written by Gaul and Coppock) have the pair of them as the ****iest teenage aerobics team ever. Their moves and striked poses must have been very difficult to learn--like every wrong movement one could do, but their efforts pay off big time in continuous guffaws.

"Landing Patch" (written by Croner and Gaul) takes place on a plane with Coppock and Gaul travelling as a couple and being waited on by the steward Croner. As Croner and Gaul notice each other's soul patch, they both compliment each other. The compliments lead to comparing necklace charms which they coincidentally got at a Counting Crows concert years ago they both attended. As their mutual admiration society grows, the ignored Coppock sitting in the middle of the two men starts to get irritated. The attraction just swells leading Gaul to follow Croner jumping out of the plane. This riotous sketch of bromance does have a happy ending!

The evening ends with "Hot Wheels" (written by Sertich and Silpa). Set in a nursing home, Sertich and Silpa compete in a talent contest. They're wheeled around in their wheelchairs by their dancing caretakers Worswick and Burns. In between their well-executed choreography, these stage-struck custodians pose Sertich and Silpa in assorted ta-da! poses that comically result in one's face in the others crotch or Silpa's hands on Sertich's breasts or other compromising positions. Great closer! Great show!

Final note: How incredibly generous of all these talented performers taking their turns fully supporting the others, never upstaging the scripted leads. Great teamwork! Great troupe!

www.groundlings.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

School play

Although I surely support this, they could have researched their swords a little more...

Posted June 13, 2015 - 9:03am
    Story Theater Company researches martial arts, Chinese culture to bring ‘Mulan’ to stage

The cast of Story Theater Company's "Mulan Jr." performs during a rehearsal in Ames City Auditorium on Wednesday, June 10. The production, based on the classic Disney film, required the cast and crew members to research both martial arts and the Chinese culture. The show opens on Friday and will perform for two weekends. Photo by Nirmalendu Majumdar/Ames Tribune

By Julie Ferrell, Staff Writer
    jferrell@amestrib.com

When the cast of Story Theater Company’s latest production first met to begin rehearsals, they knew it would be a challenge bringing a well-known Disney movie to the stage.

But on top of that, the cast and crew got to work researching the Chinese culture to help create a more vivid production of “Mulan Jr.,” which opens in City Auditorium on Friday.

The story takes place in ancient China, when the Chinese army drafts Mulan’s aging father for an upcoming battle against the Hun invasion. Mulan decides to disguise herself as a boy and enters the army to spare him. When the Huns invade, it’s up to Mulan to help save the Emperor and all of China.

While the musical follows the 1998 Disney movie, which includes popular songs such as “Reflection” and “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” assistant director Mabel McIntosh said the cast was asked to research the legend of Mulan, a story which originated in the ancient Chinese text, “The Ballad of Mulan.” The cast even held a competition, in which the actor who found the most interesting fact from the original story won a prize.

“We got into a lot of the martial arts side, and then the costumes will really bring to life the historical part of it,” said McIntosh, 16.

McIntosh said the production team wanted to create strong visuals in the show, which included the use of martial arts and sword fighting. A fight choreographer was brought in, and several fight scenes were incorporated into the show. At one point, several actors are involved in a large slow-motion swordplay sequence.

For actors Hannah Wigdahl and Genesee Diggins-Kennedy, the challenge came when the cast had to put the fighting, dancing, singing and acting all together to make the final product.

The production required plenty of work from the cast, but McIntosh said she hoped the actors learned more about researching plays and digging deeper into their characters.

“I hope they take away a new story,” she said. “The person playing the mom probably now knows way more about how Chinese mothers felt during the war. I hope they take away the depth we’ve put into it, and what every person is feeling in this situation.”

-----

Mulan Jr.

Where: Ames City Auditorium

When: 7 p.m. June 19 and 26; 2 p.m. June 20, 21, 27 and 28

Cost: $7 in advance at the Ames Community Gym or from any cast or crew member; $10 adults and $7 children and students at the door
    - See more at: http://amestrib.com/entertainment/st....iBJovzZA.dpuf
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips