Thread: OT: Nanking the film

Hybrid View

OT: Nanking the film

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    i read the book on this ten years ago...tragic

the whole period, for the entire world was tragic. In fact, the ripple effect of all of it is still felt today. Obviously.

I wonder if this film will help to heal wounds or open old ones.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    open old ones.
    Obviously.

The Chinese Government still use it regularly to renew anti-Japanese and generally nationalistic fervour.

The Japanese Government and right wing still use it as anti-Chinese jingoistic denial.

I guess some of the Chinese people still (rightly) want more redress (they don't know or care about the extensive reparations already paid to their government by the Japanese government).

I guess some Chinese would rather let it lie.

Most Japanese I've spoken to about it are appalled to the point that they can't speak about it.

Some just don't believe it, whether through reasoning or horror.

This movie can only cause more problems... which of course doesn't mean it shouldn't have been made.

Even knowing that none of my wife's family were in the Imperial Army will not make this movie much easier for me to watch.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Obviously.

The Chinese Government still use it regularly to renew anti-Japanese and generally nationalistic fervour.

The Japanese Government and right wing still use it as anti-Chinese jingoistic denial.

I guess some of the Chinese people still (rightly) want more redress (they don't know or care about the extensive reparations already paid to their government by the Japanese government).

I guess some Chinese would rather let it lie.

Most Japanese I've spoken to about it are appalled to the point that they can't speak about it.

Some just don't believe it, whether through reasoning or horror.

This movie can only cause more problems... which of course doesn't mean it shouldn't have been made.

Even knowing that none of my wife's family were in the Imperial Army will not make this movie much easier for me to watch.
    i think the only positive humanity can find out of this story is that you need to be your own spirit, patriotism can be an unneccasry sp? evil that leads to no good...you human first not your flag or your religious gang...

Japan's Unit 731 made the Nazi party look tame. Japan has some horrible history behind its culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvcs5rA95FU