Thread: Traces of a Dragon

Traces of a Dragon

http://www.loveasianfilm.com/reviews...ofadragon.html

So I was reading an old 2004 issue of KFM, and I was reading the article on Jacki turning 50.

It talked about this film, Traces of a Dragon. I am really interested in seeing this. I read Jackis book, My Life in Action, and really enjoyed it.

From what I gather there is also a good amount of historical information as well as footage invovled in this film.

In the article it said Jacki was keeping the film kind of on lock down, to use in fund raisers and so forth for charity purposes. Seeing as how this film is now 4 years old....anyone seen it, or know where to get it?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well, I've seen it.

...but I wrote that article on Jackie back in our Sep Oct 2004 issue, so you knew that. I don't know that I can help you on your quest. I haven't seen or heard anything about Traces of the Dragon since that showing almost four years ago. I've always been impressed by Jackie's charity work and he said then that he was committed to only showing Traces at benefits. That was a very expensive benefit, I might add, but for a fantastic cause - Jackie appeared in person. I only happened upon it by chance really. It wasn't advertised. Jackie sold it out strictly by word of mouth. So my only advice to you is to keep an eye on Jackie and see if he's doing more benefits. The film is quite good - there's some historical footage but mostly it's interview with Jackie and his family.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks for the response Gene.

Ill surely keep my eye open, though I'm not sure if I could make it to one of Jakie's charity events. $$

I hate to say it, but maybe I can find it on the net. Though not likely.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

RIP Charles Chan

Follow the link for a poignant pic of Jackie, Charles and Jaycee.
    Jackie Chan's Father Dies
    2008-02-27 19:37:28 CRIENGLISH.com

Jackie Chan's father, Charles, died of cancer on Tuesday in Hong Kong while Jackie was in Beijing, Wen Wei Po newspaper reported.

Charles Chan just celebrated his 93rd birthday in December. He was suffering from prostate cancer, the report said.

Charles Chan was accompanied by his grandson, Jaycee, and his daughter-in-law, Joan Lin, when he died.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Speaking of Jaycee

'I'm not trained in martial arts'
    Soumyadipta Banerjee
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 23:59 IST

Mumbai:
    Perhaps Abhishek Bachchan would be able to empathise with Jaycee Chan. With the load of expectations of millions of fans weighing down on his shoulders, the only son of Chinese acting legend Jackie Chan has just found some strong ground under his feet.

"This is my first interview with an Indian journalist. I just hope that the Indian audience accepts me the way they have accepted my dad," says Jaycee over the phone from Beijing about his first film Invisible Target being released in India.

Already a star in Japan, China and Hong Kong, Jaycee says that he's already received a few offers from Indian producers to star in their films. "I might be doing an Indian film soon. I was told that it involves a little bit of dancing. But when I went back and switched on MTV India, I found that there is a lot of dancing and 100 people do the same step at one time. Now, I am a little skeptical whether I will be able to do that the way you guys do it."

But does he know martial arts as well as Jackie? "No, I am not formally trained in martial arts. I have learnt a little bit for my own defence. I am 26 years old and too old to learn martial arts now. I don't intend to."

So, is there an actor he wants to date on screen? "Ah! Thank god I am still single. Otherwise my girlfriend would have killed me. I liked Maaleeeka (Mallika Sherawat) a lot but I can't really think of romancing her. You want to pair me up with somebody?"
    "I liked Maaleeka" indeed. We all liked Mallika.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Twenty-six years old is not too old to learn martial arts. Jaycee seems to be in good shape and he's still very young, and as he says he's already learned something. Heck, from age 44 I did BJJ for a year just for the experience of it. And there are people who take up martial arts from little or no previous experience at all even older than that, like Ed O'Neal and many others, and they become good at it. Age is really a state of mind.

Sorry to hear of Jackie's father's passing.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-26-2009 at 08:53 PM.

[QUOTE=Jimbo;917882]Twenty-six years old is not too old to learn martial arts. QUOTE]

I hope not. Suddenly I feel reeeeeeeeeeally old!!

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

there is no such thing as being too old...

Of course your body changes, but you are still only limited by your own thoughts. If Jaycee isn't interested in training, that's cool. Not everyone needs or wants to do MA. But to use his age (and only 26 at that!) as an excuse is silly, self-limiting, and maybe a little disingenuous.

Sorry to take this off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Of course your body changes, but you are still only limited by your own thoughts. If Jaycee isn't interested in training, that's cool. Not everyone needs or wants to do MA. But to use his age (and only 26 at that!) as an excuse is silly, self-limiting, and maybe a little disingenuous.

It would be an incredible amount of pressure to live up to dad. Too much pressure, maybe, to just do MA for fun or anything less than 100%.

If you feel like you have to equal or surpass Jackie Chan, 26 may indeed be "too old" to start..... too much lost time to make up; too little time before the corporeal form starts degrading.
    Last edited by Taryn P.; 02-28-2009 at 10:38 AM.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    there is no such thing as being too old...
    Depends on the activity my friend. But I understand your sentiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

I'm sure people expect a lot from him but he is free to pursue whatever he wants to do, martial arts or not.

26 ain't so old. There are people pushing 30 who can keep up with teens half their age. It depends on how much time you put into your training and what attitude you go into it with. But Taryn makes a good point...there is a bit of lost time to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    It would be an incredible amount of pressure to live up to dad. Too much pressure, maybe, to just do MA for fun or anything less than 100%.

If you feel like you have to equal or surpass Jackie Chan, 26 may indeed be "too old" to start..... too much lost time to make up; too little time before the corporeal form starts degrading.
    If Jackie were a good father (I'm sure he is) he would push his son to do whatever he wanted. No doubt I'm sure Jackie would want his son to follow in his footsteps. But Jackie was doing martial arts at a very very young age. Jaycee could be quite competent in MA but probably not in the same league as his father. But that's not the point I guess.

We are all dying. :P
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post

Good point. That is a lot to live up to. I'm sure in time, Jaycee can eventually be seen as a talent in his own right, and not just "Jackie Chan's son".

I think Traces of the Dragon is now available through Netflix

I originally discussed TotD here.

In related news, check out this new film A Tale of Three Cities
    Romance of Jackie Chan's parents hits movie screens
    CCTV.com
    09-03-2015 01:59 BJT

Jackie Chan's parents met during the turbulent years of China's civil war and fled to Hong Kong in search of a better life. Now, their love story has come to the silver screen with "A Tale of Three Cities", directed by Mabel Cheung.

To play the lead roles, Cheung turned to two of Asia's best acting talents, Hong Kong's Lau Ching Wan and the mainland's Tang Wei.

Speaking at the Hong Kong premiere this week, Lau insisted that "Three Cities" was only "inspired by" Chan's parents and not entirely factual. However, the director had first-hand experience of the couple's love affair.

"The director was really good friends with Mr. Fang. So when we were filming, we listened to her tell the love story between Fang and Yue Rong that she had remembered." Lau Ching Wan said.

When quizzed by reporters, the lead actors Tang and Lau admitted they were already fans of each other's work before teaming up on-screen, but their levels of admiration shot up during filming.

"He's a great and seasoned co-star. Even now, I still think about the things that I learned from him while shooting." Tang Wei said, "In this film, I had to fall into water about 7 meters deep. Maybe not that deep, but the moment I fell, I felt like I was facing death. Like it was the end of the world. Thank God Ching Wan was there for me."

"I think Tang Wei is an actress who takes her work very seriously." Lau Ching Wan said, "When she's acting in a scene, it's not something that she takes lightly. She thinks a lot about how the character would react and then tries to act out the raw emotions of the character."

"A Tale of Three Cities" hit theaters in Hong Kong Thursday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips