Thread: Kung-Fu Parents

Kung-Fu Parents

My family is important to me. So is my continuing education and martial arts. 15 years ago, I started in Kung-Fu. Now I find that neither do I have time to do it, teach it or otherwise.

I am looking for some parents that have gone through this for their insight. Obviously my kids and wife should come number one, but when martial arts has been the forefront of my life it really cuts like a knife to think that I am unable to train.

For now, I'm even trying to figure out where I can can possibly squeeze just some fitness into my life.

Kung-Fu parents, how did you experience this when you realized that it wasn't about you anymore and the martial arts "bug" was still biting you? I'm really wrestling with this in my mind.

Thanks for the up and coming insights,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

My wife watches the kids when I train, and I watch them when she works out at the YMCA.

Two hours, twice a week, isn't that hard to make time for.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-15-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I devoted my life to MA from 1978 to 2000, retiring from competition in 1998.
    Then I got married in 2000 and had the first child in 2003.
    Having devoted so much of my life to MA, its ok for me to devote more of it to my family, MA will always be there, family, not so much.
    I still work out twice a day, every day minus Sundays.

I wake up at 5 in the morning to do so an dI have my own gym in my home.

MA is a lifetime pursuit.

I say this because I have already "put in the time" as a fighter and such.

If I hadn't I probably would feel different.
    But I hope I wouldn't.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The only time that is mine anymore is in the morning. I have to combine Fitness/Martial arts before anyone is up. Not my ideal time because I'm not much of a morning person (or afternoon for that matter) but it's the only time I can control. Never once have I not wanted to go back to sleep but I usually wake up half way through my warm up. I know how you feel. My life is not my own either. Both my wife and I work full time, 2 kiddies, College (glad it's online @ work), Church etc. I would love to attened a formal MA class but their is no way. Not with Cub scouts, Girl scouts, Ballet, and soccer. By the time I will be free I'll be too old to move

Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    The only time that is mine anymore is in the morning. I have to combine Fitness/Martial arts before anyone is up. Not my ideal time because I'm not much of a morning person (or afternoon for that matter) but it's the only time I can control. Never once have I not wanted to go back to sleep but I usually wake up half way through my warm up. I know how you feel. My life is not my own either. Both my wife and I work full time, 2 kiddies, College (glad it's online @ work), Church etc. I would love to attened a formal MA class but their is no way. Not with Cub scouts, Girl scouts, Ballet, and soccer. By the time I will be free I'll be too old to move
    No one on their death bed ever laments not training more, or throwing more round kicks.
    They do lament not spending more time with their family.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    My family is important to me.

I consider the Parent, a HERO
    just with no parades

they give up their "Life" for another.

i always tell my son (20) the difference between a boy and a man is:
    A boy does what he wants.
    A man does what he has to.

most important thing i think
    is to "listen" to what they have to say

as far as training
    how can you ever stop?

Stay tough, couch!

We all grow up and lose that free time of our youth. That doesn't mean you have to discard your practice. If anything, you need your practice more as you get older. Never mind the what-works-in-a-real-street-fight rants, the best thing about martial arts is it's a great way to stay fit and healthy. You just need to re-prioritize, just like we all do whenever we have a significant life change like parenthood. If you truly love kung fu, you'll make the time. The best practitioners are the ones who keep it up through hardship. They might not achieve the world's greatest skills, but the skills they do earn will be more meaningful.

Honestly, it was never about you. I'm glad you lost that delusion. For a true martial artist, it's always about others. Never mind self defense. Start thinking about defended the weak, defending your family. Love all, Serve all.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We all grow up and lose that free time of our youth. That doesn't mean you have to discard your practice. If anything, you need your practice more as you get older. Never mind the what-works-in-a-real-street-fight rants, the best thing about martial arts is it's a great way to stay fit and healthy. You just need to re-prioritize, just like we all do whenever we have a significant life change like parenthood. If you truly love kung fu, you'll make the time. The best practitioners are the ones who keep it up through hardship. They might not achieve the world's greatest skills, but the skills they do earn will be more meaningful.

Honestly, it was never about you. I'm glad you lost that delusion. For a true martial artist, it's always about others. Never mind self defense. Start thinking about defended the weak, defending your family. Love all, Serve all.

Quoted For Trueness
    Kung Fu is good for you.

kung fu parents

l am 73 this year l started more than five decades ago . l have raised quite a few kids the last three on my own . get your kids involved give your wife free time to do her thing when your at home l still practice something daily . it will pay off l have never had any of the things health wise for someone of my age . youll live a longer trouble free life . the more you put in like a bank the more youll get out of it.

Well.

I've read the responses and given them all a lot of thought. Everyone is right.

For the most part, I guess I haven't been that observant of how much free time I have. I'm going to have to use it more wisely, ie: between patients, evenings/mornings/lunch hour.

I see how my kids look at me and how much they look up to me and it's important for me to blow off steam on a regular basis so I don't take it out on the family.

Thanks all,
    Kenton Sefcik

I put my daughter in Gymnastics. I trained when she Trained. It worked out great!

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I put my daughter in Gymnastics. I trained when she Trained. It worked out great!
    I always wanted to try gymnastics, too.

As my kids got older, I got my life back.

Everyday is different.

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    I always wanted to try gymnastics, too.

Reply]
    Yeah, me too. I would drop her off, and go to the park and do Kung Fu.