Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Crane Form

Thanks, Michael.

I keep looking for some similarity to the two versions of Iron Chain that I learned but I have been unable to see any sequences in common beyond the sao jong at the end.

Good stuff! Do you know who the performer is?

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    Now I know we have different taste and judgment parameters

Regards

LoL Gru,

Anyone with the right spirt who has been training TWC can fight, I'm not worried about that. The fellow looks very strong, in demo mode like with these clips I prefer to admire the technique. I find it much more challenging to mimic the timed pace and style of the smaller performer. I can admit I'm more on the tech side than the aggressive, no worries.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

No worries at all

Quote Originally Posted by HOKPAIWES View Post
    LoL Gru,

Anyone with the right spirt who has been training TWC can fight, I'm not worried about that. The fellow looks very strong, in demo mode like with these clips I prefer to admire the technique. I find it much more challenging to mimic the timed pace and style of the smaller performer. I can admit I'm more on the tech side than the aggressive, no worries.
    I do respect your point of view, nothing wrong with what you prefere or like to look for.
    I think tough that the spirit of the two performances were totally different, one was (I believe) a kind of instructional video and the other a performance at some sifu's birthday.
    I to be honest, did not like much the first two videos, couse I didn't see a very good execution even for an instructional video, but I admit I've not much authority to say so, therefore I may be totally wrong.

Thanks for your imput any way, I'll try to watch the videos again with your perspective.

Regards,

jdhowland

I also thought the same about the Tit lin

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Classical straight road form with relaxed power.
    JD
    "relaxed power" is an understatement...

Pardon my sayin' so, but I didn't like this performer at all -- too fruity.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

Yeah, I have to agree. I don't really like his performace either. I don't believe that the original tape was instructional, I think it was just to archieve them.

Granted, it's hard to tell wether or not he's giving it 100% and playing the form, or if he's just doing a 50% walk thru.

Either way, I thought that you guys would enjoy some of the techniques. Although I can detect the occasional 'shaolin' influence, most of the techniques follow or adhere to the true Tibetan method, i.e., short stances, constant waist turning, punches NOT coming from a chambered position, etc.

[QUOTE=Lama Pai Sifu;835690]Yeah, I have to agree. I don't really like his performace either. I don't believe that the original tape was instructional, I think it was just to archieve them.

Granted, it's hard to tell wether or not he's giving it 100% and playing the form, or if he's just doing a 50% walk thru.
    QUOTE]

I wasn't at all disappointed that he didn't give it full speed or power (or even full form for that matter--note how his back arm is lazily dropped in many strikes). I have some videotapes that look a lot like this from the '80s when we did something similar to archive our styles of Bak Hok and Lama. It may just show an attempt to conserve energy for a long day of filming. Our school doesn't do forms competitions or demos so I wouldn't expect flashy athleticism in a film designed to illustrate the system.

The performer lacked fighting focus in the techniques but you can tell he knows how to move in the style.

The tape(s) were made so a student could remember the forms, but I don't really like how the forms are played. It should also be noted that the guy on the tapes isn't exactly a "master". He was a PHD in enginering student who had taken privage lessons in Hong Kong, and then taught an American guy when he was doing his PHD in the US (I got the tape from the American guy, then gave it to Mike)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....